BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

by KC Royal » 02 Sep 2021 09:25

Mentioned it on another thread but are we missing O'Shea? I'm surprised it's not been brought up. He was the only coach retained when Pauno was appointed so the club clearly thought highly of him. We've gone from generally solid defensively over the 2 years he was a full-time coach to horrendous this season, (and pre-season we couldn't stop conceding either, albeit not the strongest line-ups) with basically the same back 4 and keeper. Yes no Richards and Holmes played a lot last season but McIntyre played games at LB and Yiadom obv did at RB last season. The only difference is Yiadom playing LB at Huddersfield.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2021 00:09

KC Royal Mentioned it on another thread but are we missing O'Shea? I'm surprised it's not been brought up. He was the only coach retained when Pauno was appointed so the club clearly thought highly of him. We've gone from generally solid defensively over the 2 years he was a full-time coach to horrendous this season, (and pre-season we couldn't stop conceding either, albeit not the strongest line-ups) with basically the same back 4 and keeper. Yes no Richards and Holmes played a lot last season but McIntyre played games at LB and Yiadom obv did at RB last season. The only difference is Yiadom playing LB at Huddersfield.

It's funny I was going to mention this some time back, but not wanting to look like a pillock (any more than I already do in general) I googled it and thought he was still here thasnk to wikipedia which confused the crap out of me (yeah wiki I know I know). SO he's fully gone then? Yeah that makes sense.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2021 00:11

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal There's so much wrong with this I almost don't know where to start.

But let's build from the back, unlike Pauno.

It's clear the defence really wasn't the problem tail end of last season. We conceded about 54 total, which is far from awful, and setting Norwich aside 13 in 10 at the end of the season. So consistently a little over 1 a game.

Even setting aside Huddersfield, we're at more than 2 a game this season. And they aren't going to be top 2 that seems for sure.

You talk about using the kids, but our defence was at its meanest last season with Holmes. Yes we've lost Richards but he was hardly known for the defensive side of his game, decent as it was.

You've only got to watch to see far greater disorganisation and sub par performances from players who performed far better last season.

Defence and defensive midfield, bar LB is basically our least changed and in theory strongest part of the team. But it's a cluster oxf*rd.

Last season scoring was a bigger problem. 12 in 10 (excluding Norwich still). Worse than we conceded. This season we've actually started scoring quite well. Pushing toward 2 a game (again still excluding Huddersfield), better than the tail end of last season. Now it was never likely to be sustained, but again you only have to look at games to see us playing reasonably well going forward. So the issue really isn't losing all those attacking players, especially seeing as we've basically gained Swift back. It wouldn't have mattered how many the attack got against Huddersfield the defence would have leaked more.

I really don't think personnel is the issue. The defence and midfield is good enough to be playing much much better. The rest of the team did enough to pick up points v Cov and Stoke, maybe Bristol. There is a huge issue with direction and coaching IMO. I also don't think the players aren't trying. I just think they're applying themselves really badly and don't know what they're supposed to do / can't or won't do it.

I don't like sacking managers, and I don't think now is the time, but there's nothing performance wise from Pauno to defend him and whilst the finances are a shambles he's got plenty to work with in our weakest areas.

I am of course trying to add balance, which is always difficult when my gut feeling like yours is the opposite. But it's only fair to Pauno, whose heart is in the right place and is trying his hardest.

Our exchanges at the tail end of last season were me being livid at f**kup Pauno presided over suggesting he is on very thin ground - one of the few *almost* calling for his head, and you defending him iirc. I may be wrong, in which case we've been on the same side for longer than I thought.

In further defence of Pauno though, to add to this discussion - attack is the best form of defence, and when you have the likes of Joao, Meite, Olise and Ejaria terrorising you, you're going to be limited in your attack so the defence have an easier time. When you lose that and you have a Puscas, and some kids dicking around outside your 18yd box you can go forward more. Or another way to look at it is that in order to have anywhere near the attacking prowess we had last season we have had to play a lot more attacking, thus compromising our defence i.e. Bristow was involved in two of our goals, great but he's meant to be a left back. Basically I'm suggesting you can't just look at the personnel left in isolation and say they're pretty much the same people so they should be as good. Teams attack and defend with 11 men. Lose your teeth and it affects the whole team.

HOWEVER this is somewhat clutching at straws to try to defend Pauno... what on earth is it about this season that makes so incredibly inept defensively. Has Pauno suddenly gone mad? From my point of view the cracks were already there last season. We have a somewhat dodgy keeper, Moore has always been hit and miss, and Holmes/Mac are good but still kids in fairness. Holmes was a great right back in our fluke period of wonder but then everyone was amazing in that period. Morro has lost it. We were moaning at zonal marking throughout last season. These guys were responsible for big defeats, and even defeats against 10-men relegation certs. And that's with Richards.

If I'm being honest, my take is that we had cracks last season which were papered over by a) luck and b) a formidable attack. We've lost the formidable attack, lady luck f**ked off months ago, we've lost Richards, Morro has lost his superpowers, and now Pauno's ineptitude of zonal marking, no direction, treating every striker like Joao etc is plain for all to see.

I do like the guy though and like probably all of us desperately hope his signings can get him out of this.
Bristow is a left back, but he was playing left wing this season. McIntyre was LB.

Still think you're hugely overemphasising the attack last season. It really wasn't that strong, especially tail end.

Whole problem is coaching based imo. I don't think Pauno has any defence for the defensive shambles we've been. Not that there's any point in sacking him. Not that it will stop us.

Tail end everything was shite wasn't it. It's just all so confusing. I agree re fully re; coaching. The O'Shea suggestion above is a good shout - I thought he'd gone but then confused myself into thinking he was still here. Still, buck stops with the manager I guess.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 03 Sep 2021 11:32

Millsy
KC Royal Mentioned it on another thread but are we missing O'Shea? I'm surprised it's not been brought up. He was the only coach retained when Pauno was appointed so the club clearly thought highly of him. We've gone from generally solid defensively over the 2 years he was a full-time coach to horrendous this season, (and pre-season we couldn't stop conceding either, albeit not the strongest line-ups) with basically the same back 4 and keeper. Yes no Richards and Holmes played a lot last season but McIntyre played games at LB and Yiadom obv did at RB last season. The only difference is Yiadom playing LB at Huddersfield.

It's funny I was going to mention this some time back, but not wanting to look like a pillock (any more than I already do in general) I googled it and thought he was still here thasnk to wikipedia which confused the crap out of me (yeah wiki I know I know). SO he's fully gone then? Yeah that makes sense.

Someone mentioned it in the other thread i posted in about it. It was news to me so i googled it and found a link to a getreading article.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... n-20957886

I'd also say he was influential as remember him being vocal on the touchline last season. Hope i'm proven wrong and this period has just been a long blip and things will improve after the international break. We had that period of a month last season when we were conceding 3 or 4 goals a game.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 06 Sep 2021 11:43

KC Royal
Millsy

Someone mentioned it in the other thread i posted in about it. It was news to me so i googled it and found a link to a getreading article.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... n-20957886

I'd also say he was influential as remember him being vocal on the touchline last season. Hope i'm proven wrong and this period has just been a long blip and things will improve after the international break. We had that period of a month last season when we were conceding 3 or 4 goals a game.

Maybe Dann can fill the gap? Some playing time this season along side coaching and then a full time coaching role from next season?