Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2022 08:59

When is the first week back for pre-season likely to be this time around with the earlier start?

I'd imagine one or two may sign before pre-season begins whereas others really can leave it until the deadline to sign a new deal as well. Anything in the next month or so really.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2022 09:07

YorkshireRoyal99 When is the first week back for pre-season likely to be this time around with the earlier start?

I'd imagine one or two may sign before pre-season begins whereas others really can leave it until the deadline to sign a new deal as well. Anything in the next month or so really.

Pre season is normally around 5 weeks so I’d expect to be w/c 27 June with friendlies of varying types appearing anytime from 2 July onwards.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2022 09:10

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99 When is the first week back for pre-season likely to be this time around with the earlier start?

Pre season is normally around 5 weeks so I’d expect to be w/c 27 June with friendlies of varying types appearing anytime from 2 July onwards.

So that probably fits relatively nicely with players either signing new deals or not. Only having less than a weeks worth of pre-season is better than potentially leaving a couple of weeks into pre-season though as well.

Ideally we would want them all tied down (or not) before then anyway, but it's not that bad either.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 May 2022 09:30

blythspartan
Stranded So when do we think we'll start to hear if players are re-signing?

Get the feeling June will be a quiet month up until preseason starts then we'll see a flurry of contracts and signings in that first week back.

Ince said that he wants players in time for preseason so I assume they could start rolling in fairly soon. I believe players are normally contracted/paid by their current clubs up until 30 June so can we announce them prior to 1 July? You’re probably right about lots of announcements during the first week back. If not, it will be a bit worrying.

Yes you can announced signings before the 1st July - clubs are already - Cardiff have already announced 4 for example.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2022 13:16

From Despair To Where? Blackett was never as good as Stam thought he was and he's done nothing since to suggest otherwise.

He had that decent spell playing wingback but the moment he got linked to Turkey, he lost interest.

The big irony on here being the debate about do we keep Obita or Blackett with Richards as back up.

Again though, like Richards, a victim of too many players for one position

I don’t agree that Stam particularly rated him, he messed him about time and time again in that second season and played a pretty awful midfielder at RB (and a RB at LB) to avoid playing him. Sure, he signed him for Cincinnati but it’s not a particularly high quality league

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 May 2022 13:22

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? Blackett was never as good as Stam thought he was and he's done nothing since to suggest otherwise.

He had that decent spell playing wingback but the moment he got linked to Turkey, he lost interest.

The big irony on here being the debate about do we keep Obita or Blackett with Richards as back up.

Again though, like Richards, a victim of too many players for one position

I don’t agree that Stam particularly rated him, he messed him about time and time again in that second season and played a pretty awful midfielder at RB (and a RB at LB) to avoid playing him. Sure, he signed him for Cincinnati but it’s not a particularly high quality league

Well, he's signed him twice....

Fair enough, he wasn't good enough for United, that's no great crime, but he struggled to get games in the SPL with Celtic and was shite at Forest. He showed flashes with us but was no where near consistant enough. Cooper was the better defender. ironic that the most consistent CB over the past 3 years has been Morrison who is exactly the sort of defender Cooper has developed into.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 May 2022 19:10

Sounds like WBA are more likely at this stage to sign Jed Wallace than Swift. Interesting enough, wonder whether they are going cold on swift or the other way round

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2022 21:42

They've certainly made the right decision if true.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 07:49

Wallace certainly a very good player. Not sure if he maybe dropped off a little last year? Didn’t seem quite so prominent

Another who I think a lower prem should take a chance on really

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 08:33

Think with Wallace you will get a 7 or 8 out of 10 every week where as Swift you'll get an 8/10 followed by a couple of 5/10's. West Brom already have a couple of out and out flair players so I see Wallace as a better fit for them, likely cheaper in terms of wages too. Ultimately I think Swift might end up staying here, the chatter around him seems to have died off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 08:53

If Swift stays with us I'd be delighted. I personally think he's a better player than Wallace, but that's obviously subject to bias.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 09:06

NathStPaul Think with Wallace you will get a 7 or 8 out of 10 every week where as Swift you'll get an 8/10 followed by a couple of 5/10's. West Brom already have a couple of out and out flair players so I see Wallace as a better fit for them, likely cheaper in terms of wages too. Ultimately I think Swift might end up staying here, the chatter around him seems to have died off.

Yeah though it’s prob a 9/10 with Swift rather than an 8
Wallace’s fitness record certainly better as well

Both very good champ players who are too good for wba imo

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 26 May 2022 09:52

Hound
NathStPaul Think with Wallace you will get a 7 or 8 out of 10 every week where as Swift you'll get an 8/10 followed by a couple of 5/10's. West Brom already have a couple of out and out flair players so I see Wallace as a better fit for them, likely cheaper in terms of wages too. Ultimately I think Swift might end up staying here, the chatter around him seems to have died off.

Not sure they're too good for West Brom. Neither are PL quality. Swift especially is far too inconsistent and too injury prone. WBA or anyone between 10th and 4th is about their level IMO.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 09:56

Truth is we don't know if Swift is Premier League quality due to him never playing in it. Not sure who his agent is but he hasn't done a very good job imo. On the face of it, it would seem relatively straightforward to get Swift a free move to a lower end Premier League move based upon his stats alone. I find it quite odd.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 09:59

I've always thought Swift has earnt himself an opportunity to play at that level, but for whatever reasons a move never materialised. It was close a couple of seasons ago when Sheff United came calling and that's the sort of level I think he can play at, I'm surprised someone like Bournemouth or Fulham haven't been linked with him.

You can tell by who he's been linked with in recent seasons, Leeds, Sheff United, Wolves, Newcastle etc, that he might be capable of playing at that level, it's just never happened. If he never moves there, he will certainly be one of the best players at this level to never play in the PL (unless he made the odd appearance for Chelsea).

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 26 May 2022 10:05

If Swift leaves us for another championship team he is obviously completely lacking any amibition but if he leaves us for a premier league team he is obviously happy to just sit on the bench and collect his wages.

The only truly good move for him is to stay and keep us up IMO

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 May 2022 10:19

Hopefully Pisa get promoted, Puscas deal gets done, wages reallocated, Swift stays, outstanding first half of the season, sold for £20million in January.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 10:21

And then you'll wake up from the dream world you live in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 10:30

PATRIQT
Hound

Not sure they're too good for West Brom. Neither are PL quality. Swift especially is far too inconsistent and too injury prone. WBA or anyone between 10th and 4th is about their level IMO.

When you see some of the players who have gone up and played in the PL not sure you can say that for sure - you’d probably think the same about players from the likes of Leeds (Liam Cooper for example), Brighton, Brentford among others

Some players can make the step up and others who you think might do it comfortably don’t

10th in the league is about where Wallace ended and he is clearly their best player, so don’t agree that’s his level. Top 3 champ or bottom 6 prem I’d guess more where he should be aiming

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 10:48

paultheroyal Hopefully Pisa get promoted, Puscas deal gets done, wages reallocated, Swift stays, outstanding first half of the season, sold for £20million in January.

Puscas' wages will certainly not be allocated to Swift's to keep him signed on.

1018 posts