Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Zip » 26 May 2022 10:53

NathStPaul Truth is we don't know if Swift is Premier League quality due to him never playing in it. Not sure who his agent is but he hasn't done a very good job imo. On the face of it, it would seem relatively straightforward to get Swift a free move to a lower end Premier League move based upon his stats alone. I find it quite odd.

You have been talking sense on this OMA? Wassup?

Agree here. Baffled why a lower half PL have not made a move yet. Perhaps Leeds will now they are safe. He is definitely worth a punt albeit very inconsistent. His stats for the first half of 2021/22 were way better than for the second half of the season during which he did go AWOL at times.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 10:59

Well I suppose the fact the PL has just finished may well be a big part of the reason, and the play offs haven’t happened

Would think the PO winners or Leeds could certainly be an option for him and maybe he is waiting to see if one of those come in. His agent might have got a heads up to hold and see what happens

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 10:59

Zip
NathStPaul Truth is we don't know if Swift is Premier League quality due to him never playing in it. Not sure who his agent is but he hasn't done a very good job imo. On the face of it, it would seem relatively straightforward to get Swift a free move to a lower end Premier League move based upon his stats alone. I find it quite odd.

Agree here. Baffled why a lower half PL have not made a move yet. Perhaps Leeds will now they are safe. He is definitely worth a punt albeit very inconsistent. His stats for the first half of 2021/22 were way better than for the second half of the season during which he did go AWOL at times.

You can't argue with Swift's stats, I never have. I argue with his workrate and desire to improve, I think he is very comfortable and doesn't push himself as much as other talented players of his level. A lot of that could come down to injuries, I have always said we rely on him far too much and there is no way he should be playing 3 games in 7 days, it isn't fair on him.

With that in mind, I think the Premier League might actually suit him and especially if he is a bit of a squad player. What would a side like Southampton or Brentford really have to lose by offering a 2 year deal at 30k a week? They'd at the very least get a decent squad player with good ability and set piece taking skill all for no fee. Seems odd his agent hadn't tied this up by now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 11:00

For all we know he may be negotiating with both of those teams

Also think he went on holiday after the season so maybe something will happen when he gets back

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 11:11

Not sure if you can prove his "desire to improve". He may have wanted to have moved onwards and upwards but we just haven't let him. There were rumours that Dai blocked his transfer to Sheff United as he's wanted to build the team around him. Since the Dai's have taken over, we've certainly had a desire to keep hold of our better players where we can for promotion, Moore being another example.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2022 11:17

He's followed most, if not all quality seasons with an injury hit one.

This time around his excellent form was at the start of a season and then just slipped away.

He's way past a young exciting talent, so he's not likely to develop a lot more or become a lot more valuable than he is now.

I don't think he's really the sort of player a PL side will gamble on often. He'll probably be ok in the PL, but not much more than that.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 11:26

Snowflake Royal

This time around his excellent form was at the start of a season and then just slipped away.

He's way past a young exciting talent, so he's not likely to develop a lot more or become a lot more valuable than he is now.

I don't think he's really the sort of player a PL side will gamble on often. He'll probably be ok in the PL, but not much more than that.

You'd still say he'd be an asset for most bottom half PL clubs really one way or another, he's got the technical ability to play at that level. Being an ok PL player, even at best, is better than some that play at the bottom of the PL who just aren't good enough.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 11:36

YorkshireRoyal99 Not sure if you can prove his "desire to improve". He may have wanted to have moved onwards and upwards but we just haven't let him. There were rumours that Dai blocked his transfer to Sheff United as he's wanted to build the team around him. Since the Dai's have taken over, we've certainly had a desire to keep hold of our better players where we can for promotion, Moore being another example.

Desire to improve was in reference to whilst he is playing for us. For example he started off the 2021/22 season very well and won games for us on his own but he then plateaus and eventually goes off the boil completely. He needs to maintain that form over an entire season but from the outside it looks as though he goes so far and then becomes complacent. Like I said before, a lot of it is caused by him being overworked.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2022 11:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

You'd still say he'd be an asset for most bottom half PL clubs really one way or another, he's got the technical ability to play at that level. Being an ok PL player, even at best, is better than some that play at the bottom of the PL who just aren't good enough.

I fancy PL teams are looking for someone quicker in the No. 10 slot. Don't think he's got it to play elsewhere in the PL

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2022 11:40

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Not sure if you can prove his "desire to improve". He may have wanted to have moved onwards and upwards but we just haven't let him. There were rumours that Dai blocked his transfer to Sheff United as he's wanted to build the team around him. Since the Dai's have taken over, we've certainly had a desire to keep hold of our better players where we can for promotion, Moore being another example.

Desire to improve was in reference to whilst he is playing for us. For example he started off the 2021/22 season very well and won games for us on his own but he then plateaus and eventually goes off the boil completely. He needs to maintain that form over an entire season but from the outside it looks as though he goes so far and then becomes complacent. Like I said before, a lot of it is caused by him being overworked.

Yeah he was inconsistent in the back half of the season, but then again did suffer from a couple of injuries here and there which probably formed part of that, along with the squad's general poor form and lack of confidence. It's probably the reason(s) why he hasn't made that step up, but I think he's capable anyway.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 May 2022 11:52

NathStPaul
Zip

You can't argue with Swift's stats, I never have. I argue with his workrate and desire to improve, I think he is very comfortable and doesn't push himself as much as other talented players of his level. A lot of that could come down to injuries, I have always said we rely on him far too much and there is no way he should be playing 3 games in 7 days, it isn't fair on him.

With that in mind, I think the Premier League might actually suit him and especially if he is a bit of a squad player. What would a side like Southampton or Brentford really have to lose by offering a 2 year deal at 30k a week? They'd at the very least get a decent squad player with good ability and set piece taking skill all for no fee. Seems odd his agent hadn't tied this up by now.

There is a guy on tik tok, some of his video's going viral, ex Reading academy. Highly rates Swift and says he is actually quite a tough, nasty character behind the scenes. Not something you see on the pitch.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 11:53

paultheroyal
NathStPaul
Zip

There is a guy on tik tok, some of his video's going viral, ex Reading academy. Highly rates Swift and says he is actually quite a tough, nasty character behind the scenes. Not something you see on the pitch.

Would certainly like to see a lot more of that, would certainly improve our team no end. We are missing a nasty bastard in our side. The fair play table demonstrates that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 May 2022 12:46

If he’s a nasty character he certainly hides that one very well. Seems a placid and likeable character generally

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 May 2022 13:15

There was every chance that, as soon as the final whistle on the WBA blew, Swift could have announced his impending departure to Club A or Club B as soon as his contract ran out.

That fact that didn't happen suggest that his agent will be talking to a maximum of 10 clubs about a possible move, including the 3 teams relegated from the PL plus Leeds, the 2 teams promoted from the Champ, the 2 in the PO final together with Shef U and WBA.

On his day, he is exceptional, but he has also had a fair bit of time out through injuries; it is this that may well be making clubs look long and hard before deciding to employ him.....

On Strings

by On Strings » 26 May 2022 14:29

Twitter is full of nostalgic morons wanting Alex Pearce back. We've just released one slow cart-horse and now they want another because he loves the club...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2022 16:02

Hound If he’s a nasty character he certainly hides that one very well. Seems a placid and likeable character generally

It was on Tik Tok though, so it's pretty credible.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 May 2022 16:03

Snowflake Royal
Hound If he’s a nasty character he certainly hides that one very well. Seems a placid and likeable character generally

It was on Tik Tok though, so it's pretty credible.

where you going with this?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 18:20

John Swift on the verge of signing for WBA according to the Telegraph.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 26 May 2022 18:29

NathStPaul John Swift on the verge of signing for WBA according to the Telegraph.

Du you really believe that Tory trash??????? Read something a bit more believable!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2022 18:30

Franconian Royal
NathStPaul John Swift on the verge of signing for WBA according to the Telegraph.

Du you really believe that Tory trash??????? Read something a bit more believable!

Yes I do believe reputable sports journalists.

1018 posts