Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Lower West » 27 May 2022 11:19

Zip
Lower West
Zip
Yep he is off to West Brom. I’m surprised no one from the PL has come in for him. On his day he has been an absolute joy to watch. A big loss.

The days of joy aren't consistant enough. Injury prone. Lacks real pace. Too lightweight. Not criticisms, just observations.

Certainly inconsistent and defensively weak. The injury prone bit is overstated. He averaged 31 games a season for 6 seasons. That’s decent enough.

Do the maths. That's still 90 league games he was absent. For a key player in any team that amounts to a lot of points lost.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2022 11:39

Lower West
Zip
Lower West
The days of joy aren't consistant enough. Injury prone. Lacks real pace. Too lightweight. Not criticisms, just observations.

Certainly inconsistent and defensively weak. The injury prone bit is overstated. He averaged 31 games a season for 6 seasons. That’s decent enough.

Do the maths. That's still 90 league games he was absent. For a key player in any team that amounts to a lot of points lost.

Yeah, 15 games a season for a player who has been first choice is a lot. It's more than a quarter of each season missed.

That's a really low bar. He's had two or three long term injuries and about double that short term, if that's not injury prone I don’t know what is.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 May 2022 11:41

Lower West
Zip
Lower West

I don’t need to do the maths. He played over 200 League and Cup games for us in 6 seasons. I’m fine with that. To expect a player to be available nearly all of the time in a division as rigorous as the Championship is unrealistic.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2022 13:07

Probably use £20k of the £25k saved on Swift's weekly wages to sign Tom Ince

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 May 2022 13:41

Royal_jimmy Probably use £20k of the £25k saved on Swift's weekly wages to sign Tom Ince

I’m ok with him returning but never on those wages.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 May 2022 13:54

Yeah Ince has to be half of £25k, at most.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 May 2022 17:41

Love to know what "Wreck It Ron" is paying Swift. If we had prepared an improved deal what did they offer him?
Must be on a Liam Mooresque salary. I dont wish ill on him at all.....but I hope he gets a lot of minor injuries....which will be a cert looking at the amount he picked up with us.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 May 2022 18:07

Stranded Too many people ready to discard Swift or downgrade what a good player he has been for us. 6 years is arguably too long to stay at a club these days.

We now need to not fixate or finding a player to replace him. What we need to do is find a style that fits the squad we are building so that we are overly reliant on one player so much. Lost count of the amount of times we've said "Stop Swift Stop Reading" or "We didn't play well today as Swift was off".

We need to find a way that shares his output across the midfield/attack making us more balanced and harder to play against.

So Swift leaving is a blow but expected but if recruitment is smart it doesn't need to hurt us - though it probably will.

Early-ish in McDermott's first full season an opposition fan said to me that we needed a Plan B. I said we had a plan B - give it to Kebe. He asked what plan A was... it was still "give it to Gylfi". Eventually plan A became "kick it long for Long to chase", with the same plan B.

Us losing Swift is equivalent to Spurs losing Bale, Villa losing Grealish, Milan losing Kaka, or indeed us losing Gylfi. We got around losing Gylfi because we still had Kebe and a good squad. Same deal when we lost Long. In both cases we started the season quite poorly as there was a big adjustment.

It's possible to have a system that doesn't just rely on individual brilliance, but if we're entirely rebuilding our midfield and trying to recruit in a few other places (left back) then it becomes harder. If anything I expect us to be more reliant on a single player (Joao), although Meite and Ejara could be equally dangerous.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2022 18:53

Ascotexgunner Love to know what "Wreck It Ron" is paying Swift. If we had prepared an improved deal what did they offer him?
Must be on a Liam Mooresque salary. I dont wish ill on him at all.....but I hope he gets a lot of minor injuries....which will be a cert looking at the amount he picked up with us.

If we offered him an improved deal it's very worrying, because it suggests we've learnt nothing.

We shouldn’t be offering anyone more than about £16k, max.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 May 2022 20:50

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner Love to know what "Wreck It Ron" is paying Swift. If we had prepared an improved deal what did they offer him?

If we offered him an improved deal it's very worrying, because it suggests we've learnt nothing.

No doubt Twitter bollox and I suspect it’s a throwaway comment that has snowballed but there was talk of a 7 figure signing on fee and 60k pw

Can’t see it myself mind you. Reckon prob a big signing on fee and maybe 30k pw at wba

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 May 2022 21:42

Hound
Snowflake Royal

No doubt Twitter bollox and I suspect it’s a throwaway comment that has snowballed but there was talk of a 7 figure signing on fee and 60k pw

Can’t see it myself mind you. Reckon prob a big signing on fee and maybe 30k pw at wba

All I will say is if a traditionally well run club like WBA run into FFP issues, Gourlay needs banning from football.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 May 2022 23:08

A shame to lose Swift, but we knew he would be going

Onwards and upwards

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 May 2022 05:58

Not quite out of contract, but Piza lost to Monza 3-4 AET yesterday (AGG 4-6) so Puscas could be back !!

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 30 May 2022 06:12

Royals and Racers Not quite out of contract, but Piza lost to Monza 3-4 AET yesterday (AGG 4-6) so Puscas could be back !!

Wish no ill on Georgie, but we really needed that money. Hopefully Pisa come in for him in the summer. If not, then PINce really should accommodate him properly into the team. AND, someone needs to put their arm around him and make him feel at home

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 May 2022 07:55

Franconian Royal
Royals and Racers Not quite out of contract, but Piza lost to Monza 3-4 AET yesterday (AGG 4-6) so Puscas could be back !!

Wish no ill on Georgie, but we really needed that money. Hopefully Pisa come in for him in the summer. If not, then PINce really should accommodate him properly into the team. AND, someone needs to put their arm around him and make him feel at home

I doubt they could afford him, unless they have some rich backers (Monza, who beat them last night, are the latest plaything of Silvio Berlusconi). They get League One level crowds and a much lower tv deal than the championship.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2022 07:57

So bored of hearing about Puscas now. If he goes then he goes, if he stays then we use him. Either way it isn't worthy of continuous debate.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 30 May 2022 09:46

NathStPaul So bored of hearing about Puscas now. If he goes then he goes, if he stays then we use him. Either way it isn't worthy of continuous debate.

Well just ignore it you bellend !!! That result yesterday was the most important bit of news since Swift announced he was off.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2022 09:48

Royals and Racers
NathStPaul So bored of hearing about Puscas now. If he goes then he goes, if he stays then we use him. Either way it isn't worthy of continuous debate.

Well just ignore it you bellend !!! That result yesterday was the most important bit of news since Swift announced he was off.

The forums most boring member enjoys boring news? I am shocked.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 10:01

tmesis
Franconian Royal

I doubt they could afford him, unless they have some rich backers (Monza, who beat them last night, are the latest plaything of Silvio Berlusconi). They get League One level crowds and a much lower tv deal than the championship.

Maybe one of the relegated clubs from Serie A, like Genoa, might come in for him. They aren't stinking rich but have a much better chance of paying a reasonable fee and matching wage demands for Puscas than someone like Pisa who haven't been in Serie A since 1990-91 (under a different name). I'm sure there will be suitors for him in Italy, it's just making sure we can get a reasonable deal for him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 May 2022 10:02

Are you new here?

Tbh, as R&R says, you could just ignore it.

Not sure who made you forum police to decide what is and isn't worthy of debate.

FTR, I'd like to see him stay and given a go under Ince, who showed excellent man management skills to turn around the form of Drinkwater. Maybe he can do it with Puscas as well.

1018 posts