195 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Sutekh » 07 Sep 2021 07:22

When : Saturday, 11 September 2021, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It’s the fakes up next as Reading hope to start to get some sort of half decent form together and put the already farcical season they’d had so far behind them.

Rangers have been rather decent thus far and are yet to be beaten by anyone so this game is going to be a worry as if VP hasn’t sorted things a bit then the club could be looking at another embarrassing score line. QPR have already won at Middlesbrough and rather comfortably at Hull and scored three on both occasions so the defensive side of Reading’s game does need to have improved considerably from the recent comedy routines.

Lyndon Dykes has already bagged 3 goals from 3 starts (and a sub appearance) while Rob Dickie (remember when Reading had him on their books) has scored twice in 5 games which suggests that the Rangers are quite good when it comes to set pieces (oh glory, as that’s the one area that Reading have been excelling in this season :wink: ). Other dangermen to watch for are Charlie Austin, Jordy de Wijs and Chris Willock.

Pretty much as is usual for all Reading opponents, QPR have, as far as I’m currently aware, next to no injury crises to bedevil them with just the one player out (Sam Field). Luke Amos is now available after a serious knee injury last season and so may get a place on the bench.

The mess that is Reading now boasts 5 long term injuries in Joao, Azeez, Meite, Araruna and McIntyre. On top of that Ejaria may or may not be fit enough to get a place at least in the bench. On the bright side Baba Rahman and Scott Dann will hopefully both be able to take up debut positions in defence but how far off of match fitness they are remains to be seen. That said their presence should at least bring some balance back to the force and give another option if Moore is deemed too knackered after jetting back from Jamaica’s international week.

As you’d expect the biggest worry for Reading is where on earth will they get any goals from with Puscas as the only remaining striker. One hopes the club will have a more efficient plan to provide service to him but based on what I’ve seen so far (plus last season) when GP has been playing “alone” I’m not holding my breath on that.

Referee

Geoff Eltringham

Previously....

02 Apr 21 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
24 Jan 21 > Preston North End 0-0 Reading
16 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
26 Feb 20 > Reading 0-3 Wigan Athletic
01 Jan 20 > Fulham 1-2 Reading
02 Mar 19 > Ipswich Town 1-2 Reading
02 Feb 19 > Reading 0-0 Aston Villa
29 Sep 18 > Brentford 2-2 Reading
03 Feb 18 > Reading 0-2 Millwall
22 Apr 17 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 17 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 17 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 16 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 16 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 15 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 15 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 13 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 12 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

Historically

Overall Reading have an edge on league fixtures in the "binary" derby by 39 wins to 30. There have been 25 stalemates.

Thus this game is the 48th league visit from that lot just up the M4 and Reading have recorded 27 victories to 10 from the Rangers but have only won 3 of the previous 11 home fixtures.

Why binary derby? Well the last 11 home games have been truly IT techie like and dull in the extreme with about as many shots as there have been goals resulting in scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 1-0 and 1-1

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 08:10

Geoff Eltringham is a good but fair referee to have. He favours us when he referees us and I'm glad we have a good referee who doesn't take any rubbish.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 08:11

Although I think we will get slaughtered to the lambs. 3-1 QPR.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Sep 2021 08:28

I am hoping we go back to basics. Back 4 with Rino and Laurent sitting in front breaking up play and releasing the front 4 to do there thing.
QPR will be full of confidence and eager to put a few past us knowing how dire we have been on pretty much every aspect of defending. Lets hope that we have sorted out this zonal marking BS and have some proper leadership out on the field.

A point would be a great result, a clean sheet would be even better....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 08:35

Fully expect Moore to play and be shit, Laurent to continue rampaging forward leaving a huge hole behind, and our set piece defence to be static and useless

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 08:39

Snowflake Royal Fully expect Moore to play and be shit, Laurent to continue rampaging forward leaving a huge hole behind, and our set piece defence to be static and useless

So an improvement on the last game then :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2021 11:40

going to be an interesting one certainly with the new lads

not expecting too much mind you. Fair play to QPR, they've got their shit together after a ropey few years

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 11:42

QPR =>2-1=> Reading

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Sep 2021 11:42

Hound going to be an interesting one certainly with the new lads

not expecting too much mind you. Fair play to QPR, they've got their shit together after a ropey few years

Would be more than happy with a draw. Grinding out a 0-0 would do wonders for our confidence, especially defensively.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2021 11:48

NathStPaul

Would be more than happy with a draw. Grinding out a 0-0 would do wonders for our confidence, especially defensively.

yeah would happily take that. But then I also feel a goal for Puscas will also help massively. But the clean sheet prob more impt at the moment

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 12:08

Hound
NathStPaul

yeah would happily take that. But then I also feel a goal for Puscas will also help massively. But the clean sheet prob more impt at the moment

A draw is as good as a loss here. We need to be trying to win these sorts if games as playing for a 0-0 just spells trouble

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Sep 2021 12:09

The international break can be so hit and miss. It came at a very good time for us but maybe it could have taken the momentum out of QPR and has given us more time to work on every aspect of our game......But i am clutching at straws here.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Sep 2021 18:14

Would bite your hand off for a draw. Feel like I might be saying that a lot this season.

JR

by JR » 07 Sep 2021 19:21

Probably the hardest starting XI to guess of the season. I’ll go:

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Dann
Baba

Laurent
Rinohmota

Swift
Drinkwater
Halilovic

Puscas

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 20:01

JR Probably the hardest starting XI to guess of the season. I’ll go:

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Dann
Baba

Laurent
Rinohmota

Swift
Drinkwater
Halilovic

Puscas

As oxf*rd if he drops moore

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2021 20:18

Moore has been jetting all around whilst Morrison and Holmes will have had a chance to work with Dann for 2 weeks. I'll be pretty annoyed if Moore comes back in tbh

Ejaria should play if fully fit.

Reckon it'll be

Rafael
Yiadom MM Dann Baba
Laurent Drinkwater
Halilovic Swift Ejaria
Puscas

Hoilett, Southwood, Moore, Holmes, Rino, Clarke, TDB

which is actually pretty decent. We're a handy side honestly, just need to pull it together

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Sep 2021 20:40

Hound Moore has been jetting all around whilst Morrison and Holmes will have had a chance to work with Dann for 2 weeks. I'll be pretty annoyed if Moore comes back in tbh

Ejaria should play if fully fit.

Reckon it'll be

Rafael
Yiadom MM Dann Baba
Laurent Drinkwater
Halilovic Swift Ejaria
Puscas

Hoilett, Southwood, Moore, Holmes, Rino, Clarke, TDB

which is actually pretty decent. We're a handy side honestly, just need to pull it together

On paper, potentially. It could equally be said that Yiadom, Morison and Laurent are all over the place and massively underperforming, Puscas who, come Saturday, still will not be able to play up top by himself and several players who have not played much football in quite a while.

Hopefully we manage to click and put in a decent display, I don’t expect anything out of the game but would just love to see some improvement in performance.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2021 20:47

Yeah same really. A decent performance with some semblance of defensive organisation and threat from Puscas and I’ll be ok with it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Sep 2021 23:14

Will the new additions result in a change of formation. I suspect not. Saw Scott Marshall's influence at Swindon tonight. Attractive postive football that was a pleasure to watch. For a cobbled together group of players. Shows that doesn't need money to build a team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2021 05:56

Lower West Will the new additions result in a change of formation. I suspect not. Saw Scott Marshall's influence at Swindon tonight. Attractive postive football that was a pleasure to watch. For a cobbled together group of players. Shows that doesn't need money to build a team.

Can’t remember the last time Reading played that way, might have been under Brian the first time when the effort and team togetherness really made you feel you were part of something. So much better than the subsequent 8/9 years of tippy tippy possession at all costs boredom.

195 posts