Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

166 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by morganb » 13 Sep 2021 11:46

I know this has been briefly covered in other threads but as reported on Twitter by Exclusives, Rafael is injured:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ExclusivesFc ... 0622236676

When will our luck change ….. I’m hearing we are on the look out for an emergency goalkeeper loan ….. Rafa injured but not sure how bad !

So, what are our options now and what will happen once Rafa is back fit, plus how does this impact on Pauno Out?

I guess the options are:

Southwood plays.
We get an emergency loan in.
Andrésson is recalled from his loan (is this possible outside the transfer window?)

Is Southwood any good (I imagine he is good enough as his contract was extended [or was this because he was a cheaper option than bringing in another keeper] and he was kept whereas Andrésson was sent out on loan again). If Southwood plays and does well will he be instantly dumped out of the team once Rafael is fit again?

How will an emergency loan work with our FFP situation? Who is available to us?

If Andrésson was recalled would he go into the team ahead of Southwood (he does get good reviews from the teams he's been loaned to)

Does having to play your back-up keeper give us another excuse for not sacking Pauno? Or could this be a turning point as Rafa has not been great?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 11:57

it'd be nuts to bring in an emergency into the first 11. Happy with either Southwood or JA

Rafael's been poor this season anyway.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Sep 2021 11:58

Southwood is better than Jokull and I am surprised that needs stating. I’m not sure Jokull is better than CBC, to be honest.

Southwood starting, CBC on the bench is how we will probably go.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Sep 2021 11:59

No point in extending Southwood’s contract if he isn’t considered good enough. He needs a chance and must start tomorrow night. Despite six new signings we have a threadbare squad.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Sep 2021 13:10

SCIAG Southwood is better than Jokull and I am surprised that needs stating. I’m not sure Jokull is better than CBC, to be honest.

Southwood starting, CBC on the bench is how we will probably go.

CBC better than Andresson? Maybe in the future but right now one is playing first choice keeper in League One after having a great season in League Two.

Southwood so far hasn't had much chance to show what he can do and arguably could have been kept as a cheap back up option to let the better prospect in Andresson go out on loan and get some playing time.

But that's all hypothetical, however CBC being better than Andresson is frankly, nonsense.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Sep 2021 13:27

Rafael is ooc next year isn’t he? If he’s out for 3-4 for a while and southwood does well. I hope that’s the last we see of Rafael. Very little point in bringing him back into the fold to block southwoods development if he isn’t going to be here next year.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 13:36

Shame we cannot get Virginia back :lol:

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 13 Sep 2021 13:47

It is unbelievable ! What is wrong with this club ? I have been involved with football all my life , which is many years now and never known anything like it ! So many ‘injuries ‘ . I don’t understand how we sign two players Dann and Drinkwater , have them for two weeks training , and they are not even fit enough to sit on the bench !

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 13:48

Once upon a time . It is unbelievable ! What is wrong with this club ? I have been involved with football all my life , which is many years now and never known anything like it ! So many ‘injuries ‘ . I don’t understand how we sign two players Dann and Drinkwater , have them for two weeks training , and they are not even fit enough to sit on the bench !

:roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2021 13:59

Good. Rafael has peaked and is offering us little. He used to at least be a good shot stopper at close distances but even that has seemed to slip.

Southwood is not the finished article, far from it, but I’ve seen enough to be encouraged and he’s not going to get better by sitting on the bench. If we’re going to get relegated I can confidently say it won’t be due to our choice of goalkeeper.

Southwood to start and I’d have CBC on the bench. Andressen seems to be impressing on his loan spell and it’s probably productive to keep him there for consistency.

I’d be really disappointed if we brought in another goalkeeper. I don’t think it’s necessary at all.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2021 14:13

1. Can’t see the FL seeing the situation as being worthy of allowing an emergency loan (and that’s irrespective of any embargo situation) given Luke is hardly a “youngster” is in his second season as the preferred no. 2 and has played first team football plus also to international level as a youth.

2. Don’t think Reading can recall Andresson until January.

3. Luke is highly rated and just how is he going to get a chance to develop and progress as Reading’s no. 2 if as soon as an opportunity comes along the club gets in a replacement anyway.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Sep 2021 14:45

Hound it'd be nuts to bring in an emergency into the first 11.
That does depend on who the emergency loan is.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 14:47

CountryRoyal Good.

Always nice to see our supporters rejoice in the injury of our players. Good look.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Sep 2021 14:48

well it's a moot point anyway the only way you can dip into the emergency loan market for a keeper is if all your professional goalkeepers are inured. And southward isn't.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 15:10

I'll admit I didnt watch the Huddersfield game - thoroughly sick of the season by that stage

What did he so poorly in it?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 15:33

Broken hand sustained outside of the match and training.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 15:35

NathStPaul Broken hand sustained outside of the match and training.

Seriously what is going on with our medical staff. They should be with the players at all times, then this wouldn't happen.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 15:36

Stranded

Seriously what is going on with our medical staff. They should be with the players at all times, then this wouldn't happen.

There should be someone with him ensuring he wore heavily padded mittens. The club are completely negligent.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 15:37

Once upon a time . It is unbelievable ! What is wrong with this club ? I have been involved with football all my life , which is many years now and never known anything like it ! So many ‘injuries ‘ . I don’t understand how we sign two players Dann and Drinkwater , have them for two weeks training , and they are not even fit enough to sit on the bench !

You have been involved by football all your life?

oxf*rd me why don't we get you in as manager then :roll:

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 15:38

Stranded

I mean we do not know how it happened tbf. Most likely was an accident but what if he got annoyed and punched a wall.

166 posts