Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

166 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2021 22:11

Jackson Corner I can’t divulge my sauces needless to say it is someone who works at the club.

Assume he was aiming for Moore and missed.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Sep 2021 22:17

Jackson Corner There is a story doing the rounds that he threw a punch at Morrison in the dressing room and has been suspended by the club.

Surely if he's really done that then the writing is on the wall for his days at Reading...

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 14 Sep 2021 22:46

morganb
Jackson Corner There is a story doing the rounds that he threw a punch at Morrison in the dressing room and has been suspended by the club.

Surely if he's really done that then the writing is on the wall for his days at Reading...

Why would you write on the wall when there’s a perfectly good whiteboard?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 14 Sep 2021 22:47

So I’ve heard he’s not broken his hand and could potentially be available for Saturday

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 14 Sep 2021 22:51

gazzer, loyal royal So I’ve heard he’s not broken his hand and could potentially be available for Saturday

Confirmed by Pauno

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2021 22:56

That would be harsh on Southwood who I thought looked very assured tonight, when was the last time you saw a Reading keeper catch a corner?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Sep 2021 22:57

windermereROYAL That would be harsh on Southwood who I thought looked very assured tonight, when was the last time you saw a Reading keeper catch a corner?

Keep southwood

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Sep 2021 22:57

Jackson Corner I can’t divulge my sauces needless to say it is someone who works at the club.

Cool

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2021 23:06

SouthDownsRoyal
windermereROYAL That would be harsh on Southwood who I thought looked very assured tonight, when was the last time you saw a Reading keeper catch a corner?

Keep southwood

If Rafael comes straight back in on Saturday then Paunovic really does need to go because it’ll prove beyond any final doubts that he doesn’t know what the fcuk he is doing.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Sep 2021 23:32

Southwood looked very assured this evening and should only get better with more first team games under his belt, and with Andresson and CBC waiting in the wings then the keeping department looks to be in good hand for the next ten years or so.

Regarding Rafael, he has done pretty well and is a steady keeper, but his kicking and control of his area is a weakness.

If rumours are true regarding an altercation with Morrision then i would be tempted to release him of his contract. His transfer fee would be no loss, but getting his wages off the books plus freeing up a squad number allowing us to pursue a free signing would be worth its weight in gold!!

Rax

by Rax » 14 Sep 2021 23:47

Crowbar6753 Southwood looked very assured this evening and should only get better with more first team games under his belt, and with Andresson and CBC waiting in the wings then the keeping department looks to be in good hand for the next ten years or so.

Regarding Rafael, he has done pretty well and is a steady keeper, but his kicking and control of his area is a weakness.

If rumours are true regarding an altercation with Morrision then i would be tempted to release him of his contract. His transfer fee would be no loss, but getting his wages off the books plus freeing up a squad number allowing us to pursue a free signing would be worth its weight in gold!!

We could get Andy Carroll in :lol: :lol: :lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Sep 2021 23:52

Southwood has conceded less goals in just one game (1) than Rafael has conceded ALL SEASON (16).

Just let that sink in.

He has to start.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Sep 2021 08:53

Crowbar6753 Southwood looked very assured this evening and should only get better with more first team games under his belt, and with Andresson and CBC waiting in the wings then the keeping department looks to be in good hand for the next ten years or so.

:lol:

If you released players every time they had a bust up then we would have even fewer players than we have now.

Look at past examples. Imagine if Williams and Mcshane had been released after their fight, or Hahnemann and Sonko after theirs or Sidwell and Shorey after theirs.

Shit happens in a dressing room full of testosterone.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 15 Sep 2021 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Sep 2021 09:05

Southwood was close to flawless last night....one error with that bar of soap routine although he did get lucky with a scuffed clearance which Hoilett did well with. No need for Rafael to come back into the side. He has been part of the defensive shambles.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2021 09:08

Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman Shame it wasn't a clean sheet, but couldn't have asked for much more from Southwood today. A couple of decent saves, and looked confident coming for crosses.

Very good except the one he juggled, and still did enough to keep it safe without the inexplicable freekick.

Imagine getting a fk for ballsing up your claim so bad the ref assumes you must have been fouled. :lol:

One in the eye for the doubters.

If you see a replay, as Southwood comes to claim it the Peterborough player has a small tug on his shoulder which caused the initial spill, followed by slightly paniced scrambling. It was actually a really good spot by the ref (or a lucky call) as I only saw the tug on the 2nd replay angle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2021 10:57

If we sacked him for gross misconduct then he would almost certainly take legal action against the club.

If we just released him then we would need to pay up his contract.

In either case, it is unlikely to be financially beneficial.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 11:36

SCIAG

If we sacked him for gross misconduct then he would almost certainly take legal action against the club.

pretty sure if I punched someone at work it would be classed as gross misconduct and I would be sacked. Why would he take legal action :| under what grounds? wrongful dismisal? as long as they got their HR shit correct and followed the process he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yet more nonsense from you :|

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 11:46

Who witnessed it? Did anyone see the whole incident?
Did Morrison start it?
Was Rafael defending himself from an attack?
Did it even happen?

All things we do not know yet.

Rafael will have every right to challenge a dismissal, player scuffles and fights are part and parcel of the game and there are many other incidents of fighting between teammates up and down the country that we do not know about and there will 100% be other fights that have happened in the Reading dressing room that resulted in no action. Football clubs keep that kind of thing in house and no doubt Rafael will be dealt with in due course. If the club were to dismiss Rafael he would be able to point to many other incidents that haven't resulted in anyone being dismissed

Football is a different industry than more or less any other. An example of this is when a player is sent off for striking an opponent. Do the police cart the guilty play off to jail once he is given the red card? No. Are the guilty players sacked? No. In that instance the FA are the law and are left to it. You can argue footballers shouldn't be treated any different to the general public but the fact is that they are and that won't change.

Demanding Rafael is sacked is quite pathetic.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Sep 2021 12:01

Perhaps dressing room fights explain the number of players who take to the pitch with bandages/strapping on their hands and wrists?

For 10 of the 11 players this should not be an issue but a goalkeeper's hands are the tools of his trade, so if he breaks one through his own stupidity he should be disciplined (and I'm sure he will be).

I've always wondered why an assault on a football pitch is outside the jurisdiction of the police.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2021 12:21

Brogue
SCIAG

pretty sure if I punched someone at work it would be classed as gross misconduct and I would be sacked. Why would he take legal action :| under what grounds? wrongful dismisal? as long as they got their HR shit correct and followed the process he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yet more nonsense from you :|

Money talks. He earns about £20k a week. He can afford to force a lengthy and costly legal dispute.

Just because he doesn't have a leg to stand on doesn't mean he can't take legal action.

And it's a huge assumption rfc have their hr on order.

Companies settle on claims where they're in the right all the time because it's cheaper and easier. And frequently don't sack people for stackable offences because of potential push back and hassle.

166 posts