Fluked 24
Would have won with a good manager 14
Deserved to lose 19

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno in

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Oct 2021 19:34

We all need to buy "Pauno In/Out" half and half scarves for games.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Oct 2021 19:39

Elm Park Kid We all need to buy "Pauno In/Out" half and half scarves for games.
:lol:

Shake it all about...copyright Leon

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Oct 2021 23:22

Seems as Pauno is going to play his formation irrespective of the personnel available. Puscas might as well be sold tomorrow. Not his attribute to be a target man and hold the ball up. Only player capable in the squad is Joao. Our season is going to depend on getting him back and keeping him fit. Pauno is going for broke. If he suceeds in keeping us he's a hero. If he fails he walks at the end of the season when his contact expires.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Oct 2021 23:26

Lower West Seems as Pauno is going to play his formation irrespective of the personnel available. Puscas might as well be sold tomorrow. Not his attribute to be a target man and hold the ball up. Only player capable in the squad is Joao. Our season is going to depend on getting him back and keeping him fit. Pauno is going for broke. If he suceeds in keeping us he's a hero. If he fails he walks at the end of the season when his contact expires.

Paunovic has changed formation a few times this season. For example, in the opening weeks we played with a back three.

Given that we only have one senior striker fit, we can hardly play two up front. Clarke and Ehibhatiomhan, with the best will in the world, don't look ready yet.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Oct 2021 23:40

SCIAG
Lower West Seems as Pauno is going to play his formation irrespective of the personnel available. Puscas might as well be sold tomorrow. Not his attribute to be a target man and hold the ball up. Only player capable in the squad is Joao. Our season is going to depend on getting him back and keeping him fit. Pauno is going for broke. If he suceeds in keeping us he's a hero. If he fails he walks at the end of the season when his contact expires.

Paunovic has changed formation a few times this season. For example, in the opening weeks we played with a back three.

Given that we only have one senior striker fit, we can hardly play two up front. Clarke and Ehibhatiomhan, with the best will in the world, don't look ready yet.

Swift is in his best position playing behind and in support of the sole striker. With two up top changes the dynamic of the team.

Played a back three as there was no Ejaria or available natural width in the squad at the time. The transfer window signings allowed Pauno to revert back to type.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Oct 2021 08:36

Lower West
SCIAG

Swift is in his best position playing behind and in support of the sole striker. With two up top changes the dynamic of the team.

Played a back three as there was no Ejaria or available natural width in the squad at the time. The transfer window signings allowed Pauno to revert back to type.

He hasn't reverted to type at all. We have shifted from a 4-3-2-1 to more of a 4-1-4-1 formation. It is subtle but a very definite shift in style and formation that is currently reaping dividends.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2021 09:20

Lower West
SCIAG

So he does change formation based on the personnel available?

Also, given that we've primarily played with someone behind the striker under Paunovic, I'm confused as to why you think 4-1-4-1 is his "type".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2021 11:31

SCIAG

I've watched all the games and I don’t see any we've started or played the majority of with a back 3.

Seemed pretty clear to me early on McIntyre was LB and Bristow LW.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2021 21:54

Lower West Seems as Pauno is going to play his formation irrespective of the personnel available. Puscas might as well be sold tomorrow. Not his attribute to be a target man and hold the ball up.

Agree.

In defence of Pauno though he did finally seem to get the best out of Puscas for two games before.... inexeplicably leaving him out as soon as he did, and now we're back to square one with him :shock: Almost as though he was disappointed he was beginning to do well and just wanted to prove a point to get rid of him! Very odd.

He definitely likes his way of playing 1 up front, whoever that may be, target man or not, striker or not, if we're 1-0 down away in a must win game with strikers on the bench or not. He's a stubborn old fool.

Having said that as some (Ian) have argued, we ideally just want one plan executed with our eyes closed. At least we can say that even if it has meant putting round pegs in square holes, certainly the players seem to know what they're doing IN ATTACK with some very quick thinking triangles and great fluidity generally in the final third. Perhaps that's the wisdom of being pigheaded about it.

All I can say is if it produces results it's fine - what do I know, I'm not a football manager! But I'd like a bit more flexibility to account for Puscas, or 4-4-2 when needed mid-game when losing for example.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2021 09:38

Spirit in the team look decent. Pauno has done a great job connecting the fans with the team.

He needs to be commended.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2021 11:09

Millsy
Lower West Seems as Pauno is going to play his formation irrespective of the personnel available. Puscas might as well be sold tomorrow. Not his attribute to be a target man and hold the ball up.

Agree.

In defence of Pauno though he did finally seem to get the best out of Puscas for two games before.... inexeplicably leaving him out as soon as he did, and now we're back to square one with him :shock: Almost as though he was disappointed he was beginning to do well and just wanted to prove a point to get rid of him! Very odd.

He definitely likes his way of playing 1 up front, whoever that may be, target man or not, striker or not, if we're 1-0 down away in a must win game with strikers on the bench or not. He's a stubborn old fool.

Having said that as some (Ian) have argued, we ideally just want one plan executed with our eyes closed. At least we can say that even if it has meant putting round pegs in square holes, certainly the players seem to know what they're doing IN ATTACK with some very quick thinking triangles and great fluidity generally in the final third. Perhaps that's the wisdom of being pigheaded about it.

All I can say is if it produces results it's fine - what do I know, I'm not a football manager! But I'd like a bit more flexibility to account for Puscas, or 4-4-2 when needed mid-game when losing for example.

There's certainly room for going 2 up... but probably not when you've only got 1 fit senior striker.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 14:36

Snowflake Royal There's certainly room for going 2 up... but probably not when you've only got 1 fit senior striker.

Agreed... for a main plan he might be using to start a game.

But clearly he thinks the likes of Hoilett and Clarke can do a job up front, as he keeps putting them up there so there's clearly room to utlise one of them alongside Puscas in a 442 plan B when chasing a game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2021 15:04

Millsy
Snowflake Royal There's certainly room for going 2 up... but probably not when you've only got 1 fit senior striker.

But clearly he thinks the likes of Hoilett and Clarke can do a job up front, as he keeps putting them up there so there's clearly room to utlise one of them alongside Puscas in a 442 plan B when chasing a game.

To push someone else upfront, we'd either have to move some who isn’t a wide player out wide, or take off one of TDB or Swift, and realistically move the other deeper, or Drinkwater and lose our defensive screen and push both Swift and TDB deeper.

That doesn’t make us more likely to score a goal, but less likely, IMO.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 16:09

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

To push someone else upfront, we'd either have to move some who isn’t a wide player out wide, or take off one of TDB or Swift, and realistically move the other deeper, or Drinkwater and lose our defensive screen and push both Swift and TDB deeper.

That doesn’t make us more likely to score a goal, but less likely, IMO.

442 makes us less likely to score a goal than 451? swapping a defensive midfielder up for a striker to have say Puscas and Clarke up front doesn't make it more likely we'll score? We'll certainly be weaker in defence but when chasing a game that's the gamble. I have no more to say to that just leave it there I think :)

Above, your only objection with a 442 option is that we don't have enough strikers for it, otherwise "there's certainly room for" it. All I'm saying is rightly or wrongly we clearly do have more than one striker as Pauno himself plays people up front other than Puscas. So if he can use them in a 451 (Clarke, Hoilett) he sure as hell can also use them alongside Puscas when we're chasing a game.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Oct 2021 08:12

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

I've watched all the games and I don’t see any we've started or played the majority of with a back 3.

If so then it was very lop sided with Yiadom pushing on much more than McIntyre.

WhoScored has average position maps under the Match Report section. Against Preston it’s a very clear back three, with McIntyre in the equivalent position to Morrison. There are games where he is wider or higher (one where his circle is overlapping Bristow’s) but not as wide or high as Yiadom.

Then against Coventry, without Bristow, he is positioned almost like a winger, so it isn’t just that he’s too conservative to follow his manager’s instructions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2021 08:37

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Paunovic has changed formation a few times this season. For example, in the opening weeks we played with a back three.

If so then it was very lop sided with Yiadom pushing on much more than McIntyre.

WhoScored has average position maps under the Match Report section. Against Preston it’s a very clear back three, with McIntyre in the equivalent position to Morrison. There are games where he is wider or higher (one where his circle is overlapping Bristow’s) but not as wide or high as Yiadom.

Then against Coventry, without Bristow, he is positioned almost like a winger, so it isn’t just that he’s too conservative to follow his manager’s instructions.

I may take a look.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 Oct 2021 16:39

PAUNO IN!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Oct 2021 17:00

IN!

205 posts