Pauno in

205 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno in

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Sep 2021 21:15

Snowflake Royal
Hound its tough to judge on Pauno imo. His hand has been so forced by injuries and squad numbers at times. Joao's sudden loss of form last season as well.

Definite signs of how he sees us playing longer term now he has brought in some of his own players. I think there are signs of the attacking midfield trio playing a lot narrower and shooting a lot more from the edge of the box. I think there's a bit more of a move to having 2 proper cdm shields, with the full backs creating the width coming forward.

If Puscas can start getting amongst the goals, signs were looking promising in the last couple of games - then things should turn out pretty well

Definite question marks on the set piece organisation and the persistence with an underperforming keeper and CB pairing, as well as some very dodgy subs, but some good stuff coming through as well - esp the form of Swift and the impact in the last 3 games of Ovie

I really miss Bowen :(

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2021 10:29

Millsy This season has really questioned my beliefs. We're really not missing Joao in terms of scoring. Puscas is now seemingly being utilised very effectively, he's made signings and is playing a system that just looks very dangerous. Midfielders are scoring masses of goals, whether it's Ejaria, Swift, TDB, Azeez... it must seem like whack-a-mole for the opposition at the moment - they mark one man out and another pops up to terrorise them.

Nothing convincing about a team that leaks goals. Last season we had a purple patch where we rode our luck. Same deficiencies exist as last year. Never get the feeling that we terrorise the opposition. Far too labourious in attack.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 11:54

Lower West
Millsy This season has really questioned my beliefs. We're really not missing Joao in terms of scoring. Puscas is now seemingly being utilised very effectively, he's made signings and is playing a system that just looks very dangerous. Midfielders are scoring masses of goals, whether it's Ejaria, Swift, TDB, Azeez... it must seem like whack-a-mole for the opposition at the moment - they mark one man out and another pops up to terrorise them.

Nothing convincing about a team that leaks goals. Last season we had a purple patch where we rode our luck. Same deficiencies exist as last year. Never get the feeling that we terrorise the opposition. Far too labourious in attack.

Yet we somehow score 8 goals in 3 games without Joao. Agree about the goal leaking though, completely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:11

Millsy
Lower West

Yet we somehow score 8 goals in 3 games without Joao. Agree about the goal leaking though, completely.

Think we may look back on Swift's hattrick and doubles from TDB and Ejaria as one offs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2021 13:13

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Lower West

Think we may look back on Swift's hattrick and doubles from TDB and Ejaria as one offs.

I’ll doubt they’ll get many more hatricks or doubles but they should still score plenty

Swift has 7 already isn’t it? So clearly not a one off for him to score

Keep him fit and I could see him scoring 20

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:22

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

I’ll doubt they’ll get many more hatricks or doubles but they should still score plenty

Swift has 7 already isn’t it? So clearly not a one off for him to score

Keep him fit and I could see him scoring 20

No, of course.

I can't see TDB getting more than 4/5, Ejaria 5/6 (should be more). Swift's doing fantastically, but it has to slow sometime. 15 goals from him would be a fantastic return. 20 unbelievable.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2021 16:20

Millsy
Lower West

In 3 games 32 shots on goal. Just 14 on target, That's less than one every 19 minutes. A 57% conversion rate to goals scored.

Would like to be optimistic but there's many fixtures ahead yet. Teams get worked out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 16:24

Lower West
Would like to be optimistic but there's many fixtures ahead yet. Teams get worked out.

Yes but not Pauno's teams because he is very good at responding to.... erm...

Oh.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Sep 2021 16:40

Lower West
Millsy
Lower West

In 3 games 32 shots on goal. Just 14 on target, That's less than one every 19 minutes. A 57% conversion rate to goals scored. .

So:

- below average for total number of shots (13 per match)

- bang average for number of shots on target (typically 4-5 per match)

- conversion of shots on target to goals well above average (30%)

To me that suggests a side that is clinical and takes its chances, not one that is far too laborious. Not many shots, but those we take are likely to be on target, and those on target are likely to be goals.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 16:52

SCIAG
Lower West
Millsy

In 3 games 32 shots on goal. Just 14 on target, That's less than one every 19 minutes. A 57% conversion rate to goals scored. .

So:

To me that suggests a side that is clinical and takes its chances, not one that is far too laborious. Not many shots, but those we take are likely to be on target, and those on target are likely to be goals.

I'm no pro but this is interesting and nto far off the beginning of last season, with different personnel up front.

One thing I've noticed is that Pauno really does seem to like good footballers. People who have great skills, good on the ball (Perhaps Meite aside, but he has other skills - and of course defenders are less likely to be good onthe ball). Those who can pass it around very quickly and accurately, pass it around the back, do the quick triangles and run, dribble etc. We do have a very technically decent set of players in my opinion. As such also, I suspect we are quite confident at carving out a decent chance and shooting when it's likely we may score rather than aimless crap shots. Part of that may be that we don't really play a crossing game and like to work it narrow into the box.

Total guess on my part for discussion's sake, but I definitely think we seem to have a very technically decent set of players so we're not going to see a bunch of Gurney-esque shots that hit the corner flag but have the skill and confidence to use the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 17:32

SCIAG
Lower West
Millsy

So:

But but but x goals.

We have been very conservative in our shooting for a long time imo. Not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2021 18:52

Agreed. We shoot when the players feel they have a very good chance of scoring. Means we see less 25 yard shots as they would rather recycle the ball to create a better chance than take a lower percentage shot.

As a result, our conversion rate often looks artificially high.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Sep 2021 16:58

Would like us to shift a bit more towards having a dig. Keep the keeper honest and having to be alert to snap shots so he's got more to worry about. Same with defenders.

Always liked McAnuff's efforts. Rarely scored or even hit the target... but felt he meant the opposition had to worry about the possibility of one finding the top or bottom corner, which made them less able to handle anything else.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Sep 2021 19:15

Generally - i'd prefer a season where we finished 10th and scored 90 goals than one where we finished 7th with 50.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2021 02:05

Today's game= another bump for this thread.

Come on Pauno, much as I was against you, we all want you to succeed!

We're now 3 points away from playoffs but also with deduction 3 points from safety. With our current form, both quite easy to break through.

You can do it!

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 26 Sep 2021 07:26

Millsy Today's game= another bump for this thread.

Come on Pauno, much as I was against you, we all want you to succeed!

We're now 3 points away from playoffs but also with deduction 3 points from safety. With our current form, both quite easy to break through.

You can do it!

Millsy. This is not how you hobnob. Disgracefully positive.

Love it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 10:41

Thunder stealer. I had a perfectly good thread for this you could have bumped.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Sep 2021 22:30

Pauno in

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Oct 2021 16:01

Pauno in!

SCIAG