John Swift

mumbo-jumbo

John Swift

by mumbo-jumbo » 20 Sep 2021 10:39

Well he seems to have hit the form of his life with his work rate, strike rate and leadership qualities and is bound to be turning heads. IF he manages to stay injury free in the coming months we are obviously very likely to lose him in the summer for free, which is a bit gutting. I was wondering if maybe the club try to sell him in January, just to get some cash for him? I guess there's no chance he'd sign another contract with us while he's in the shop window for a Prem Club to snatch him. We're lucky to have him and can only wish him well

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: John Swift

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Sep 2021 10:54

It's something I have thought have as well and realistically unless we are in a promotion chase or relegation fight then we'd be foolish not to look at moving him on if a good offer comes in.

With only 6 months on his contract in January, what's the best we can hope for, £5m maybe? Plus his 20-25k wages off the books early.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2021 11:02

We'll have to see where we are in January. If this up tick in form sees us continue an upward trend to be around the top 6 then I would expect the club to risk losing him for free next summer. A realistic fee is only going to be 3m or so at that point, and IF we have a chance of somehow getting up that is a loss worth taking as having him would give that chance of the PL riches.

More likely we are pottering around mid table, then losing him shouldn't see us drop into trouble and play-offs would be unlikely, we may take the risk and see if we can fill the gap with what we have.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2021 11:14

We've prob got cover for him if an offer comes in, much as it'd be a massive shame to lose him then. I'd expect a few teams to try it on with a 1-2m bid. We may be strongly advised to accept by the EFL.

Suppose we'll have to see where we are. Reckon he'll prob end up at a relegated Prem/promoted champ side next year

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Sep 2021 11:18

Realistically no club will buy a player in Jan if they are in the last few months of contract. It will be the exact situation we had with Richards. We wont get a penny from a sale, maybe a nominal loan fee and him off wage bill is best we could do. So the options we have are;
-Sign with new club plays at Reading till end of season.
-Signs to new club then to be loaned out to them for remainder of the season - pay full wages maybe a small loan fee?
-Optimistic - he signs a new contract at reading.
-He gets injured and no one wants him till he is fit and becomes a free agent.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Sep 2021 11:18

Think if we are comfortably midtable by January we will sell. I'd rather get a fee for him than nothing at all and if we have nothing to play for at either end of the table we may as well sell as it will make no odds if he is here or not. If we have a shout at a playoff place or are in 20th place fighting for our lives then obviously keep him.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 20 Sep 2021 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Sep 2021 11:21

Coppells Lost Coat Realistically no club will buy a player in Jan if they are in the last few months of contract. It will be the exact situation we had with Richards. We wont get a penny from a sale, maybe a nominal loan fee and him off wage bill is best we could do. So the options we have are;
-Sign with new club plays at Reading till end of season.
-Signs to new club then to be loaned out to them for remainder of the season - pay full wages maybe a small loan fee?
-Optimistic - he signs a new contract at reading.
-He gets injured and no one wants him till he is fit and becomes a free agent.

Not sure I agree with this. On current form, Swift is a game changer who could make an impact in the Premier League. If you're in a relegation fight, of course you'd try to bring in a player like him in January to give you the maximum chance of survival, particularly if he's going cheap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2021 11:23

yeah someone would pay

Someone would have paid a few million for Richards as well I expect, if he hadn't already got himself sorted with Bayern. So unless some European club fancy him- which is possible - there'd be offers

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Sep 2021 11:27

it's amazing how many players suddenly hit the form of their life when they only have 6 months left on their contract....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Sep 2021 11:35

Brogue it's amazing how many players suddenly hit the form of their life when they only have 6 months left on their contract....

To be fair, Swift was basically our only attacking threat at times when Joao was injured in the Bowen era and looked good when fit last season. He's been a key player for a few years and fitness has been his biggest issue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2021 12:43

We've got more than enough bodies in midfield to replace him. Though not so much the quality. But between Ejaria, Laurent and TDB we should manage.

Get him off the books and take what we can. And say thank you very much.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2021 12:57

Why on earth would Swift leave in January ? Talk of us selling him is totally naive. He would simply decline any potential. move, we have no say in the matter.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Sep 2021 13:08

Are we allowed to offer him a new contract or are our EFL slavemasters going to block that so we don't make any money from him, kind of opposite to what they claim they're trying to do

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2021 13:08

Nameless Why on earth would Swift leave in January ? Talk of us selling him is totally naive. He would simply decline any potential. move, we have no say in the matter.

in that case fine. But I'm not sure he'd automatically decline anything. On a low fee, he'd still get a nice joining bonus and sort out his next 3 years or so. Esp with his injury record, if he got a good offer in Jan, I think he'd quite likely move

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Sep 2021 15:10

Hound
Nameless Why on earth would Swift leave in January ? Talk of us selling him is totally naive. He would simply decline any potential. move, we have no say in the matter.

in that case fine. But I'm not sure he'd automatically decline anything. On a low fee, he'd still get a nice joining bonus and sort out his next 3 years or so. Esp with his injury record, if he got a good offer in Jan, I think he'd quite likely move

I think Nameless is suggesting that Swift would get more money if he waited six months and left on a free.

If we accepted a £3m bid from Norwich in January, Swift might get £40k a week for 3.5 years plus a £1m signing on fee. Or he could wait until the summer and maybe get £50k a week for 3 years plus a £3m signing on fee from Leicester.

All the same, generally speaking people will take the guarantee of money now ahead of the possibility of more money in the future, even when it is irrational to do so. Swift could get a career-ending injury between January and the summer, or teams might just lose interest in him. We have no idea whether he would take that risk.

Agree with the consensus that our behaviour will be shaped by our league position and perhaps EFL demands. I don’t think any of us can say with certainty what Swift would do.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2021 15:39

yep that was basically what I was saying. And being as he has had so many injuries, a 3.5 year deal in Jan might be more appealing to him than it might have been for Richards for example

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Sep 2021 15:52

Snowflake Royal
Get him off the books and take what we can. And say thank you very much.

:x

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Sep 2021 15:53

well, I for one am passionate about trying to get him to stay.

Naive, perhaps, but that is what supporting your team is about.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2021 16:00

Hound yep that was basically what I was saying. And being as he has had so many injuries, a 3.5 year deal in Jan might be more appealing to him than it might have been for Richards for example

If he’s going to leave he’ll have a deal sorted in January, he’ll know what he can make financially. If someone else comes in and wants to pay us a fee AND pay him. More than he’s already got on the table then that might sway him.
But the teams looking to get him in January are likely to be either struggling to stay in the PL or fighting to get into it. Neither will be offering him a guaranteed salary because failing to avoid relegation or failing to getronoted will have a massive impact on what he might get. Waiting until the summer and signing for a team with at least 1 season of guaranteed top level wages makes sense.
All about opinions though- none of us are John Swift (I presume, I know I’m not as I am Andy Yiadom)

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 20 Sep 2021 16:22

Brogue it's amazing how many players suddenly hit the form of their life when they only have 6 months left on their contract....

Yep it's the Hal Robson-Kanu/Nick Blackman effect.