776 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by Stranded » 26 Nov 2021 12:21

Hound
3points http://bit.ly/STAR-EFL-Decision

Link to STAR’s assessment of the EFL decision following discussions with the club

read it as pretty positive really. Guess we'll need to be a bit careful about giving starts to academy lads this season - but we should have the squad to do that.

Could certainly do with a player sale or two. If we can say sell puscas for a couple of million and lose Swift, Moore, Rafael plus a few others from the wage bill should be fine.

Actually quite looking forward to having a reset, clearing out the overpaid lot and going again fresh in a year or two. Just hope we are still in the champ to do that.

Yeah, I was plesantly surprised by it and clarifies a lot of my questions. Did post on the STAR board by the question it leaves me is this:

It suggests that players like Clarke would not be included in the wage bill calculation for this year as they hadn't made 3 starts - suggests that even if he did go on to start 3 league games, his wage would be excluded as he wasn't classed as a permitted player when the squad list was defined.

So could that theoretically mean, we could sign some decent up and coming L1 talents (and we could pay a fee apparently), who have never played above L1 and their wage would not count to the budget calculation? So by doing this we could pay more than 16m in wages next year if we bolster the squad with lower division targets a la Laurent? Naturally we would still need to not lose more than 13m.

Also interesting to have it confirmed that the manager/coaches salary are not included in that budget so, one for the Pauno Out brigade here, we could pay him off and hire a new manager without breaching that part of the budget as long as we don't break the permitted losses in doing so.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 27 Nov 2021 16:15

Stranded
Hound

Link to STAR’s assessment of the EFL decision following discussions with the club

read it as pretty positive really. Guess we'll need to be a bit careful about giving starts to academy lads this season - but we should have the squad to do that.

Could certainly do with a player sale or two. If we can say sell puscas for a couple of million and lose Swift, Moore, Rafael plus a few others from the wage bill should be fine.

Actually quite looking forward to having a reset, clearing out the overpaid lot and going again fresh in a year or two. Just hope we are still in the champ to do that.

Yeah, I was plesantly surprised by it and clarifies a lot of my questions. Did post on the STAR board by the question it leaves me is this:

It suggests that players like Clarke would not be included in the wage bill calculation for this year as they hadn't made 3 starts - suggests that even if he did go on to start 3 league games, his wage would be excluded as he wasn't classed as a permitted player when the squad list was defined.

So could that theoretically mean, we could sign some decent up and coming L1 talents (and we could pay a fee apparently), who have never played above L1 and their wage would not count to the budget calculation? So by doing this we could pay more than 16m in wages next year if we bolster the squad with lower division targets a la Laurent? Naturally we would still need to not lose more than 13m.

Also interesting to have it confirmed that the manager/coaches salary are not included in that budget so, one for the Pauno Out brigade here, we could pay him off and hire a new manager without breaching that part of the budget as long as we don't break the permitted losses in doing so.

I suspect technically that may be possible but the EFL has to sanction all transfers, and the incoming player would still be subject to the maximum wages and contribute towards the average. I suppose that’s what the EFL wants is for the club to take players that have lower wage expectations, as opposed to players coming down from the Prem and still expecting £30k+ per week

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2021 12:48

Stranded
Hound

If we make Moore, Rafael, Swift, Dann and Drinkwater player/coaches does that mean their salaries won’t count either ?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Nov 2021 15:01

I think ultimately the EFL will have the final say on all these questions. Anything that looks like we’re bending the rules could result in a further six point penalty, so expect the club to be whiter than white in their day to day activities and dealings

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Nov 2021 15:03

3points I think ultimately the EFL will have the final say on all these questions. Anything that looks like we’re bending the rules could result in a further six point penalty, so expect the club to be whiter than white in their day to day activities and dealings

Dann, or Carroll, onto the coaching staff wouldn’t necessarily raise red flags. The others …

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2021 15:34

3points I think ultimately the EFL will have the final say on all these questions. Anything that looks like we’re bending the rules could result in a further six point penalty, so expect the club to be whiter than white in their day to day activities and dealings

Bending the rules would not result in a points deduction. Breaking the rules would be punished but as long as we remain within the rules there’s is no reason for us not to understand and use every inch of flexibility.
I would, however, expect that we will have an EFL representative pretty much working inside the club and everything we do would be run past them before we do it. If we get signoff upfront the league can’t then punish us for what we do (although I think Derby, Sheffield Weds and Birmingham all claimed to have had league approval for their shabby rule breaking carry ons.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2021 20:57

I don’t want to see the club bend the rules. Just accept the restrictions we have to deal with and adhere to them. Then we can move on in 2023.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 22:58

Zip I don’t want to see the club bend the rules. Just accept the restrictions we have to deal with and adhere to them. Then we can move on in 2023.

Is the answer everyone should have.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2021 12:19

Heard at the weekend and not one of "my sources" that Swift to Newcastle is very much on. Howe is a massive fan, tried to sign him when at Bournemouth and happy to pay a fee now for him coupled with silly wages. A fee, wages off our books, no brainer?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 12:22

No brainer just as long as we can chalk up a decent run of points to build a safety buffer.

Could be the making of Ejaria too. And opens more of a pathway for Tetek, Osorio etc.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2021 13:19

paultheroyal Heard at the weekend and not one of "my sources" that Swift to Newcastle is very much on. Howe is a massive fan, tried to sign him when at Bournemouth and happy to pay a fee now for him coupled with silly wages. A fee, wages off our books, no brainer?

Reluctantly yes.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 13:27

paultheroyal Heard at the weekend and not one of "my sources" that Swift to Newcastle is very much on. Howe is a massive fan, tried to sign him when at Bournemouth and happy to pay a fee now for him coupled with silly wages. A fee, wages off our books, no brainer?

Yep would take it, he has been a little off the boil the last game on two, which I'm sure is totally unrelated but if we is going to go anyway might as well get a couple of million and save 6 months wages. He'll be pretty key to them winning promotion next year I am sure.

Would allow us to extend Carroll's deal (with a few more quid) if he stays fit and we have a slot on the squad we could back fill with a loanee/free agent on a lot less money esp. as we won't have a LB or RB in Jan/Feb.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 13:49

yeah, expecting him to move. Newcastle might work for him - they'll pay stupid money and he has a fair stab at being a first team regular. bloody cold though, which his hamstrings won't thank him for

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2021 06:10

The article below doesn’t specify the options, but apparently clubs are set to be presented with alternatives to parachute payments after secret talks between the Premier League and the FL.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/f ... ng-6282287

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Dec 2021 08:20

Zip I don’t want to see the club bend the rules. Just accept the restrictions we have to deal with and adhere to them. Then we can move on in 2023.

I guess it depends what you mean by ‘bend’. We don’t need to martyr ourselves by not using every inch of the rules. We absolutely should respect the conditions imposed and we should work with the EFL to ensure we don’t get any further deductions. But to not use any bit of legitimate wriggle room would be negligent. It’s like the sale of the ground. Some have claimed it was bending the rules, but we did it properly, the league were fine with it and it helped us deal with the artificial restrictions placed on clubs by the current rules. What we shouldn’t do is go down the Derby route of very questionable accounting and unrealistic valuations.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Dec 2021 08:53

+1

776 posts