Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a)

by Simmops » 30 Sep 2021 07:23

Disgraceful. Pauno out

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Sep 2021 07:48

Agree with most comments better 2nd half but in truth at no point did I think we would score. This midweek away record is getting ridiculous 4 wins out of 45!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Sep 2021 08:31

Derby are a good side at home and provided they don’t get further points deductions I expect them to survive the drop. I don’t go with the they were rubbish crowd as in my opinion they were one of the better sides we have faced this season.

They played well last night and although we created chances our finishing was poor. But at least we are creating chances which is positive. And in truth some of our players had an off night. Hopefully we will be better on Saturday.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Sep 2021 08:48

Didn't watch the game last night, slightly disappointed by the result, but you're going to get those type of games with the team we have at the moment, can't play well every week :)

You'd take 10 points from; QPR, Posh, Fulham, Middlesborough and Derby so hard to find too many complaints.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 08:51

Frustrating game last night. You could see our qualities but also where the current system has its flaws.

First of all, Derby are a solid side. No doubts it ain't cool to say so, but Rooney has done a decent job there. Solid, managed the game well and without looking a particularly talented side, did what was needed of them. Fair play to them.

AS for us - its been noted that we've relied a fair bit on some spectacular strikes from outside the box. I expect we probably had more shooting opportunities from that sort of distance last night than any other game this year, but the shooting was relatively poor. AH especially had 3 or 4 really good opportunities which he completely fluffed. Derby did a reasonable job of closing some down, but I'd still have expected us to score from the chances we had. Keeper made a couple of good saves as well from similar positions/shots

An on form Joao would make such a ridiculously big difference to us. Even Azeez playing like he was would add a dimension. Both the management of Puscas (if he wasn't injured) dropping him after 2 decent games, and Puscas' own performance were very disappointing.

Also we got sloppy last night with the passing. We barely gave it away on Saturday, but time and again TDB, Ovie, Swift and co seemed to pick out Derby players.

But it wasn't all bad - there were some very nice passages of play, defence did ok, Dann looked useful, Laurent defensively did very well again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 09:15

Was only half watching.

Chance creation for us has slowly been dwindling as we've relied on consistently not prolific midfielders to keep scoring. We conceded a slightly sloppy goal to a team with a good home record who don't svore many and don't concede many with a makeshift defence.

Couple of players had off days (Drinkwater for example) and Puscas had regressed a bit (as had the service to him) after being unfairly dropped it seems, as you would expect. He was unlikely to pick up where he left off and Hoilett is a different proposition yo feed.

In our situation it’s not really reasonable to expect us to play well every game or win 4 on the bounce with no centrebacks.

Fine margins, on another day it goes our way, just as on another day we beat QPR or Fulham beat us.

Meh. Why worry about the odd game. Be worried if we now go on a losing or not winning streak and get a points deduction at that point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 09:21

though I'd suggest we had more chances in that game than any other this season. Maybe not gilt edged, but good shooting chances. Tallies up with the shot stats

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Sep 2021 09:25

A draw would have been a fair result. Derby goal was a complete fluke, no way he was trying to score. Swift and Halilovic both off their game. I actually thought Puscas did ok in the first half. Some nice touches and was bringing people into play. Would have had some decent chances if others had passed instead of having a shot. Clarke obviously no where near ready for the first team. Thought Laurent and Yiadom both played well again. Not Baba's best game for us. Good to see Dann get some minutes. Looks a big presence, and should start against Cardiff.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2021 09:27

Fully agree with Ian's and Hounds main posts.

Fair play to Derby they played hard and got a good win. I'm actually glad for them, am showing solidarity with fellow points deductees.

We had a tonne of decent shots that just went wide and their keeper pulled off some v good saves - surely has to be their starting keeper now, he was great.

Somewhat unlucky for the goal, in that Southwood looked like he thought Laurent had it covered, so he didn't try. But it was such a lucky ball sneaking in like that, just one of those things. Absolutely noone at fault and having a proper defence would've made no difference.

On another day that'd be a win for us, we weren't that bad except we were second to every ball.

Only negative for me really is Pauno's consistent lack of any ability to manage a game and any plan other than 451 regardless of the situation. We saw it in last season's f**kup, we're seeing it now. At least giving it a go with Puscas and Clarke in a 442 we'd feel a bit better about it, even if we were to ultimately lose 2-0. At least we saw Laurent push up into midfield for the last 23 seconds but I'm not sure if that was his own initiative or Pauno's. Oh well.

We'll stay up.

Special mentions though to:

Southwood - amazing again - great with ball at feet and comes out bravely and early and deals with stuff

Yids - was great in defence, some really timely challenges

Laurent - best CB I've seen for Reading in years. Quick, reads the game well, good in the air, good on the ball, full of energy.

Baba - great shift

Drinkwater and Tetek just shite.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 09:37

been interesting just how good Laurent has been CB. I really like him there. He is good defensively and can actually play out from the back unlike Moore and Morrison.

Honestly for me he is our number 1 CB atm. Would pair him with Dann for Cardiff and then make it his position to lose if he keeps it up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Sep 2021 09:59

Millsy Fully agree with Ian's and Hounds main posts.

Fair play to Derby they played hard and got a good win. I'm actually glad for them, am showing solidarity with fellow points deductees.

We had a tonne of decent shots that just went wide and their keeper pulled off some v good saves - surely has to be their starting keeper now, he was great.

Somewhat unlucky for the goal, in that Southwood looked like he thought Laurent had it covered, so he didn't try. But it was such a lucky ball sneaking in like that, just one of those things. Absolutely noone at fault and having a proper defence would've made no difference.

On another day that'd be a win for us, we weren't that bad except we were second to every ball.

Only negative for me really is Pauno's consistent lack of any ability to manage a game and any plan other than 451 regardless of the situation. We saw it in last season's f**kup, we're seeing it now. At least giving it a go with Puscas and Clarke in a 442 we'd feel a bit better about it, even if we were to ultimately lose 2-0. At least we saw Laurent push up into midfield for the last 23 seconds but I'm not sure if that was his own initiative or Pauno's. Oh well.

We'll stay up.

Special mentions though to:

Southwood - amazing again - great with ball at feet and comes out bravely and early and deals with stuff

Yids - was great in defence, some really timely challenges

Laurent - best CB I've seen for Reading in years. Quick, reads the game well, good in the air, good on the ball, full of energy.

Baba - great shift

Drinkwater and Tetek just shite.

Southwood has been very good since he came in but, IMO, has to bear a fair amount of responsibility for their goal. Positioning was poor and he ended up in no man's land. I suspect the majority of keepers would agree with that assessment and I wouldn't be surprised if Southwood put his hand up to the mistake in the dressing room.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 10:06

Pepe the Horseman A draw would have been a fair result. Derby goal was a complete fluke, no way he was trying to score. Swift and Halilovic both off their game. I actually thought Puscas did ok in the first half. Some nice touches and was bringing people into play. Would have had some decent chances if others had passed instead of having a shot. Clarke obviously no where near ready for the first team. Thought Laurent and Yiadom both played well again. Not Baba's best game for us. Good to see Dann get some minutes. Looks a big presence, and should start against Cardiff.

Thought there was one run from Swift where there was a simple ball to play to Puscas to shoot , and instead Swift ran at him, held on to the ball and had a crack while running sort of across / away from goal... always harder.

Forgivable given the form he's in, but probably better to just play in Puscas. Instead they end up in each others way and its gone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 10:07

Hound been interesting just how good Laurent has been CB. I really like him there. He is good defensively and can actually play out from the back unlike Moore and Morrison.

Honestly for me he is our number 1 CB atm. Would pair him with Dann for Cardiff and then make it his position to lose if he keeps it up.

Can't time his jump sadly. If he could we'd have a point imo.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2021 10:33

RoyalBlue
Millsy Southwood - amazing again - great with ball at feet and comes out bravely and early and deals with stuff

Southwood has been very good since he came in but, IMO, has to bear a fair amount of responsibility for their goal. Positioning was poor and he ended up in no man's land. I suspect the majority of keepers would agree with that assessment and I wouldn't be surprised if Southwood put his hand up to the mistake in the dressing room.

I'm never been a keeper so if you've experience in that fair enough, but nothing screams out as an error to me.

He partly tried but wiseley realised he couldn't couldn't reach the first cross, couldn't do anything at all for the second cross and it looked like he was on the way to trying to save the header but halted when he saw Laurent in the way and was as surprised as the rest of us that it managed to sneak above his Laurent's head.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 10:43

Snowflake Royal
Hound been interesting just how good Laurent has been CB. I really like him there. He is good defensively and can actually play out from the back unlike Moore and Morrison.

I'm sure you're not judging his ability to win a header on that one situation (with a post/crossbar in the way but no Derby players anywhere near) now are you?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2021 10:55

Snowflake Royal

Yeah it’s not just me then. I thought Laurent should have done a lot better with Forsythe’s header and cleared it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 11:19

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Yeah it’s not just me then. I thought Laurent should have done a lot better with Forsythe’s header and cleared it

Totally misjudged it and where he was imo.

Done well for a midfielder, but he isn't a CB.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Sep 2021 11:36

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Can't time his jump sadly. If he could we'd have a point imo.

Does Laurent get back in the team if he's not playing CB?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 11:41

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Does Laurent get back in the team if he's not playing CB?

Good point. Possibly not. TDB has been good as has Drinkwater and Laurent was not playing well in midfield.

Dropping him completely would seem harsh though. But TDB and Drinkwater do seem more disciplined and solid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 11:51

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Can't time his jump sadly. If he could we'd have a point imo.

He isnt a CB, but he is a better CB than Moore and Morro? And possibly Holmes. And isnt perm-injured like TMc

206 posts