BFTG - Cardiff (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Cardiff (A)

by CountryRoyal » 02 Oct 2021 21:27

I know not as prevelant as they used to be but still surprised not to see one so far.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s possible to win playing more badly so it was really some achievement :lol:

We missed Halilovic’s creativity and link up play, we were so poor and created nothing. No real intensity or quality. Only 2 bits of the latter were the goal and Ejaria’s scoop turn in extra time.

Southwood 9 MOTM - a few really good saves and commanded his area really well against the aerial bombardment from Cardiff.

Yiadom 5

Moore 6 - better than usual this season but hoofs it way too often when he doesn’t need to, just invites pressure straight back.

Laurent 8 - looks really accomplished there, kept Kieffer Moore really quiet which is not an easy task.

Rahman 4 - I like him but not his day at all.

TDB 5

Drinkwater 5

Hoilett 6 - meh, well taken goal at least

Swift 5 - so sloppy from him, poorest display of the season and poor deliveries

Ejaria 5

Puscas 3

Goal came out of nothing really and needless to say we’ve definitely done a number on them. Cardiff probably not too bothered as this will no doubt hasten McCarthy’s departure. Anyway good turn out from the fans and thought we were in good voice.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 02 Oct 2021 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Cardiff (A)

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Oct 2021 21:40

“Southgate” ?

9 motm

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 02 Oct 2021 22:19

Really something to win away when playing so poorly. Sure Cardiff were probably going to come into this home game insistent that they weren’t going to leak goals like the previous two games but WTF? We had I think two shots on goal. I lost count of the wayward passing. Back 5 deserve all the plaudits for this one. I keep asking myself what would we do with Joao, Meite, Azeez, the Toms, etc.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Oct 2021 22:22

AthleticoSpizz “Southgate” ?

9 motm

You’re the one?

:oops: :oops:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Oct 2021 22:25

PremAddict Really something to win away when playing so poorly. Sure Cardiff were probably going to come into this home game insistent that they weren’t going to leak goals like the previous two games but WTF? We had I think two shots on goal. I lost count of the wayward passing. Back 5 deserve all the plaudits for this one. I keep asking myself what would we do with Joao, Meite, Azeez, the Toms, etc.

Not sure I agree with back 5 comment. Was our game plan to purposely allow them to get crosses in? Because I didn’t see too many attempts at blocks!

51 of them to be exact.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Oct 2021 22:47

3 goals conceded in 5 is a massive improvement on 16 in 6. Nice shiny 12 points in 15 to show for it too. Got through our first month of our injury crisis, got another two to get through then it’s just Joao and Meite out.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2021 23:31

TiagoIlori 3 goals conceded in 5 is a massive improvement on 16 in 6. Nice shiny 12 points in 15 to show for it too. Got through our first month of our injury crisis, got another two to get through then it’s just Joao and Meite out.

In truth with no game for two weeks we are halfway through the injury crisis. May have to add Morrison to the long term injured look.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2021 09:19

Anyone else feel a lot more confident with Southwood in between the sticks? Not saying Rafael is a bad keeper but it got to the point qith him that every time an opposition player took a shot from outside the box I felt like it was definitely going in. Now I feel like Southwood will get to it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2021 09:26

NewCorkSeth Anyone else feel a lot more confident with Southwood in between the sticks? Not saying Rafael is a bad keeper but it got to the point qith him that every time an opposition player took a shot from outside the box I felt like it was definitely going in. Now I feel like Southwood will get to it.

I felt Southwood should have been given a chance well before now. I know he played in the final game of last season but Rafael conceded a good number of goals through mistakes. He had a good run in goal and is now our number two.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Oct 2021 09:42

Pauno in or out?

Felt91

by Felt91 » 03 Oct 2021 09:59

Not the best game but a win before the break which is needed to rest the squad. Way to many sloppy passes mistakes when we had a good counter attacking chance.

Thoughts puscas played ok, held the ball up when it wasn’t played to his head.

Not sure what dele brings to the team. Miss places too many passes, doesn’t get stuck in enough and not box to box, just not sure what his main attribute is. Much prefer Laurent (when he’s not playing CB) playing there or rhino, whenever he’s back after being “close” after the huddlesfield game.

Swift and Ovie had off games but done well last few mins time wasting in front of the away fans.

Love when Drinkwater points out where he needs to players to Move or run when he’s got the ball.

Southwood commands the box so much better then Raffael, although his ground kicking was a bit off yesterday.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2021 10:55

I think that we really do need to discuss how good Southwood is he reminds me a lot of McCarthy when he broke through. Let’s hope we can keep him for a season or 2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2021 11:18

CountryRoyal I know not as prevelant as they used to be but still surprised not to see one so far.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s possible to win playing more badly so it was really some achievement :lol:

We missed Halilovic’s creativity and link up play, we were so poor and created nothing. No real intensity or quality. Only 2 bits of the latter were the goal and Ejaria’s scoop turn in extra time.

Southwood 9 MOTM - a few really good saves and commanded his area really well against the aerial bombardment from Cardiff.

Yiadom 5

Moore 6 - better than usual this season but hoofs it way too often when he doesn’t need to, just invites pressure straight back.

Laurent 8 - looks really accomplished there, kept Kieffer Moore really quiet which is not an easy task.

Rahman 4 - I like him but not his day at all.

TDB 5

Drinkwater 5

Hoilett 6 - meh, well taken goal at least

Swift 5 - so sloppy from him, poorest display of the season and poor deliveries

Ejaria 5

Puscas 3

Goal came out of nothing really and needless to say we’ve definitely done a number on them. Cardiff probably not too bothered as this will no doubt hasten McCarthy’s departure. Anyway good turn out from the fans and thought we were in good voice.

Think that's some harsh scoring despite a rather lacklustre display.

Hoilett’s goal probably worthy of a 7. Swift had a bad game by his current standards but thats still at least a 6 by some of his seasons and most players.

Tbh, I'd bump almost everyone except Laurent and Southwood up one. Oh and Moore.

And I'd give Puscas .ore than that 5 maybe. Not a great game, but back to zero service. Couple of good runs into the corner punished with massively overhit longballs.

Thought we noticeably missed Hal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2021 11:28

Zip
NewCorkSeth Anyone else feel a lot more confident with Southwood in between the sticks? Not saying Rafael is a bad keeper but it got to the point qith him that every time an opposition player took a shot from outside the box I felt like it was definitely going in. Now I feel like Southwood will get to it.

I felt Southwood should have been given a chance well before now. I know he played in the final game of last season but Rafael conceded a good number of goals through mistakes. He had a good run in goal and is now our number two.

He's so composed. Really looks to control his box. Positioning rarely troubled. We've got more organised with him back there. And unlike Cabral, he can cope with the short passes and being put in trouble.

And he doesn’t undercook a pass to a marked man outside the D with no one between him and goal.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2021 11:31

Snowflake Royal
Zip

He's so composed. Really looks to control his box. Positioning rarely troubled. We've got more organised with him back there. And unlike Cabral, he can cope with the short passes and being put in trouble.

And he doesn’t undercook a pass to a marked man outside the D with no one between him and goal.

Yep. He is a confident young keeper and that seems to have settled the defence. He is going to make costly mistakes and when they happen Pauno needs to cut him the same slack he afforded Rafael.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Oct 2021 11:41

Snowflake Royal
Zip

He's done very well, particularly with his desire to control his box. He's also very brave. But if you actually watch the games back you will see that he too has been guilty of some of the things you mention. Not surprising, just like outfield players, all keepers will make mistakes from time to time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2021 11:43

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
Zip

He's done very well, particularly with his desire to control his box. He's also very brave. But if you actually watch the games back you will see that he too has been guilty of some of the things you mention. Not surprising, just like outfield players, all keepers will make mistakes from time to time.

Fair comment. Some of his passing out was off against Boro and could have been costly. He does exude confidence though and as you say is very brave.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2021 11:43

The odd ball. Much less than Cabral.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2021 12:12

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Just hope fans don’t slag him off when he has a patchy run of form or drops 2/3 clangers, he’s young for a keeper and still finding his way. Really good start for him and, long term, can only get better. If he holds his place in the side I can see PL clubs taking an interest next summer and who can really stand in his way, esp. given the FFP mess. In the meantime let’s hope the club are already thinking about what they can offer by way of a new deal.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Oct 2021 16:04

My first game of the season and a good one.

Great atmosphere throughout and an exciting game albeit mostly at the wrong end. Thought we looked pretty good at times in the first half. Plenty of pretty passing moves that Cardiff couldn't deal with.

Nice to have a defence with just one non regular defender and I felt we looked more organised as a result.

I missed the goal as I really needed a piss but that's live football for you!

Second half was very much backs to the wall and I always felt they would score at some point. Just great effort from everyone, even Ovie at times, to keep them at bay.

Southwood was superb as has been mentioned but Laurent looked comfortable and commanding in defence and then in midfield. And then in defence again.

Good night out in Cardiff afterwards.

I might even go again!