I agree.

Me too

+1

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Cardiff (A)

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2021 21:44

Talking points for me (watched from 25-30mins ish onwards):

1 - Definite red card - horrible studs in face challenge on Southwood. leading onto....

2 - Southwood absolute bloody legend. 9.5/10 performance. For me now I from what we've seen so far I think I can say we're at the point where he's the "good keeper" I've harped on about for the past few seasons, the one that gives us 6-8 points in a season. Heroic display as ever - always comes for balls, doesn't give a sh*t if it means he'll get his face ripped off. I have infinitely more confidence seeing that gutsy tough eager lad between the sticks than I ever had with Rafael. Rafael - ok keeper, not at all bad. But Southwood thus far is proving that little bit extra, and has got us a few points already. Don't get me wrong, Rafael did too - it's just that Southwood seems to have done a lot in a short space of time. leading onto....

3 - Moore. improved? I'm not comfortable saying this but a clean sheet here... was it always more of a Rafael than a Moore issue? IIRC Rafael has been out at the same time as Moore has. Or Morro/Moore?

They probably deserved to win, if you only look at stats but a bit like Derby beating us, we clearly wanted it more and were just heroic in defending

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Oct 2021 21:57

Millsy Talking points for me (watched from 25-30mins ish onwards):

1 - Definite red card - horrible studs in face challenge on Southwood. leading onto....

2 - Southwood absolute bloody legend. 9.5/10 performance. For me now I from what we've seen so far I think I can say we're at the point where he's the "good keeper" I've harped on about for the past few seasons, the one that gives us 6-8 points in a season. Heroic display as ever - always comes for balls, doesn't give a sh*t if it means he'll get his face ripped off. I have infinitely more confidence seeing that gutsy tough eager lad between the sticks than I ever had with Rafael. Rafael - ok keeper, not at all bad. But Southwood thus far is proving that little bit extra, and has got us a few points already. Don't get me wrong, Rafael did too - it's just that Southwood seems to have done a lot in a short space of time. leading onto....

3 - Moore. improved? I'm not comfortable saying this but a clean sheet here... was it always more of a Rafael than a Moore issue? IIRC Rafael has been out at the same time as Moore has. Or Morro/Moore?

They probably deserved to win, if you only look at stats but a bit like Derby beating us, we clearly wanted it more and were just heroic in defending

Yes re Moore
As I said over the page we looked far more organised with that back 4 and Moore and Laurent in the centre.

Southwood superb and controlled the area so well.

So maybe Raphael was causing some of the problems

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 03 Oct 2021 22:19

I’m not the biggest fan of the Tilehurst end but they made an interesting point that Moore is much better when he’s defending deep, not sure how true that is though.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Oct 2021 23:41

bcubed My first game of the season and a good one.

Great atmosphere throughout and an exciting game albeit mostly at the wrong end. Thought we looked pretty good at times in the first half. Plenty of pretty passing moves that Cardiff couldn't deal with.

Nice to have a defence with just one non regular defender and I felt we looked more organised as a result.

I missed the goal as I really needed a piss but that's live football for you!

Second half was very much backs to the wall and I always felt they would score at some point. Just great effort from everyone, even Ovie at times, to keep them at bay.

Southwood was superb as has been mentioned but Laurent looked comfortable and commanding in defence and then in midfield. And then in defence again.

Good night out in Cardiff afterwards.

I might even go again!

Edit

Went to the Grange pub with a Cardiff mate before the game. It's a proper Cardiff fans pub normally but pretty quiet on Saturday and it was all very friendly. But turns out a lot of guys I met used to be in the Soul Crew years ago :shock:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Oct 2021 08:03

Millsy They probably deserved to win

I hate it when people say things like that. Defending is as much a part of the game as attacking. We defended brilliantly, they weren't great in attack. We had a game plan and it worked and therefore deserved to win.

Even if you win 1-0 and your keeper make 25 brilliant saves you still deserve to win. The keeper is part of your team just as much as a striker scoring goals.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2021 09:17

CountryRoyal I know not as prevelant as they used to be but still surprised not to see one so far.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s possible to win playing more badly so it was really some achievement :lol:

We missed Halilovic’s creativity and link up play, we were so poor and created nothing. No real intensity or quality. Only 2 bits of the latter were the goal and Ejaria’s scoop turn in extra time.

Southwood 9 MOTM - a few really good saves and commanded his area really well against the aerial bombardment from Cardiff.

Yiadom 5

Moore 6 - better than usual this season but hoofs it way too often when he doesn’t need to, just invites pressure straight back.

Laurent 8 - looks really accomplished there, kept Kieffer Moore really quiet which is not an easy task.

Rahman 4 - I like him but not his day at all.

TDB 5

Drinkwater 5

Hoilett 6 - meh, well taken goal at least

Swift 5 - so sloppy from him, poorest display of the season and poor deliveries

Ejaria 5

Puscas 3

Goal came out of nothing really and needless to say we’ve definitely done a number on them. Cardiff probably not too bothered as this will no doubt hasten McCarthy’s departure. Anyway good turn out from the fans and thought we were in good voice.

think you need to seriously reflect on your marks ....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2021 09:28

Playing poorly but gaining 3 points is a sign of a good team.

Its been an amazing turnaround by Pauno and the team.

They should be applauded.

International break come at a great time. Hope a couple more might edge closer to being back to strengthen the bench and Dann closer to match fitness. Barnsley a great opportunity to get into top 6 - that is some improvement.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Oct 2021 10:05

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Zip
I felt Southwood should have been given a chance well before now. I know he played in the final game of last season but Rafael conceded a good number of goals through mistakes. He had a good run in goal and is now our number two.

He's so composed. Really looks to control his box. Positioning rarely troubled. We've got more organised with him back there. And unlike Cabral, he can cope with the short passes and being put in trouble.

And he doesn’t undercook a pass to a marked man outside the D with no one between him and goal.

Just hope fans don’t slag him off when he has a patchy run of form or drops 2/3 clangers.

Are you new around here?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Oct 2021 10:22

bcubed

Yes re Moore
As I said over the page we looked far more organised with that back 4 and Moore and Laurent in the centre.

Or that Laurent playing at the back is a steadying influence on Moore?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2021 10:38

Be interesting to see what happens with Laurent once Dann is fitter.

He has been excellent at the back and improving in every game there - assuming he is off in the summer, would be get a better free agent move as a CB or a midfielder?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2021 10:39

South Coast Royal
bcubed

Yes re Moore

Or that Laurent playing at the back is a steadying influence on Moore?

Maybe

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2021 10:43

Seeing the highlights think we were fortunate not to concede a penalty form Yiadoms challenge. But how Collins wasn't sent off for his high foot tackle into the face of Southwood I'm really not sure.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2021 10:51

I don`t know if the quest highlights are anything to go by but it certainly didn`t resemble the Alamo. from what they showed Southwood saved one header that was going wide and save in the second half that was quite straightforward imo . another couple of shots from outside the box of target, and of course the cross that hit the post that would have been an outrageous fluke.
quest are there to show all the near misses and good saves, I`m assuming they would have shown them if they were there. most of the 25 efforts must have been way off target.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2021 10:53

bcubed Seeing the highlights think we were fortunate not to concede a penalty form Yiadoms challenge. But how Collins wasn't sent off for his high foot tackle into the face of Southwood I'm really not sure.

Because Yiadom clearly played the ball, i didn`t see the Collins challenge.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2021 10:56

windermereROYAL
bcubed Seeing the highlights think we were fortunate not to concede a penalty form Yiadoms challenge. But how Collins wasn't sent off for his high foot tackle into the face of Southwood I'm really not sure.

Because Yiadom clearly played the ball, i didn`t see the Collins challenge.

Went through the man first the way i saw it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2021 11:00

windermereROYAL I don`t know if the quest highlights are anything to go by but it certainly didn`t resemble the Alamo. from what they showed Southwood saved one header that was going wide and save in the second half that was quite straightforward imo . another couple of shots from outside the box of target, and of course the cross that hit the post that would have been an outrageous fluke.
quest are there to show all the near misses and good saves, I`m assuming they would have shown them if they were there. most of the 25 efforts must have been way off target.

Yeah their finishing was rarely threatening. But they did have us under constant pressure for much of the latter stages of the second half with a fair few balls pinballing around the area.

We broke out of it sloppily, frequently giving the ball straight back when we had a break on or the opportunity to relieve pressure.

To me the defence looked more jittery and nervous again, though nowhere near as bad as prior to Moore's injury and Southwood's entrance.

We also noticeably played out slower and less certainly and with more poor long balls. Again, imo.

I wouldn’t be keen on a Dann - Moore combination. Tbh, I'm not keen on any combination involving Moore anymore.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Oct 2021 11:24

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL I don`t know if the quest highlights are anything to go by but it certainly didn`t resemble the Alamo. from what they showed Southwood saved one header that was going wide and save in the second half that was quite straightforward imo . another couple of shots from outside the box of target, and of course the cross that hit the post that would have been an outrageous fluke.

Yeah their finishing was rarely threatening. But they did have us under constant pressure for much of the latter stages of the second half with a fair few balls pinballing around the area.

We broke out of it sloppily, frequently giving the ball straight back when we had a break on or the opportunity to relieve pressure.

To me the defence looked more jittery and nervous again, though nowhere near as bad as prior to Moore's injury and Southwood's entrance.

We also noticeably played out slower and less certainly and with more poor long balls. Again, imo.

I wouldn’t be keen on a Dann - Moore combination. Tbh, I'm not keen on any combination involving Moore anymore.

Sounds like we missed Halilovic’s ability to be busy and break forward with the ball.