BFTG - Cardiff (A)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Cardiff (A)

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2021 11:31

I thought that when watching, especially after praising how much he'd transformed our ability to break and attack at tempo for the last few weeks. 8)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2021 11:40

out for a couple of months from the sounds of it, will be a loss

I'm not sure winning the game was the sign of a good team as such. Going away and smashing them 3-0 is a sign of a good team.

What it does show is that we have some of the resilience back that was so sorely lacking early season when we crumbled time and again. Will certainly take the 3 points and hopefully give us the chance to build on it with some improved all round displays.

Not sure we'll get many back in the international break. Rino I assume, Dann a bit fitter. Tetek. Morro or Holmes a maybe. AH, McIntyre, Azeez, Joao, Meite all a way off I think

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Oct 2021 11:42

Good teams know how to win ugly.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Oct 2021 11:49

I thought we were absolute class defending. Absolute clueless attacking. This may have been the game plan reinforced by the Dann substitution.....just out defend their attack? A bit risky but bravo. A well needed clean sheet and a result that could be a huge platform for us the build on.

Puscas made some great runs that were just completely ignored and his frustration showed after being subbed. Clarke, when he came on was invisible as a striker and out of his depth (understandably). Good effort and willing for him to win balls back though.

A fantastic 3 points that Cardiff will feel hard done by for getting nothing out the game - but the challenges on Southwood they deserved nothing. The commentators really changed there tune after seeing the replay after defending Collins (?) saying he had a right to go for the ball and it was just desire. Horrendous career threatening challenge which is disgusting to see the player walk away with only a yellow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2021 11:53

NathStPaul Good teams know how to win ugly.

not that ugly though

Do wonder what the reaction had been had they scored. After Cov, which didn't watch but sounded fairly similar it was all outrage in how shit we'd been, despite conceding a very late goal. Had that flukey cross been 1 cm the other way and gone in, I'm sure there'd have been a lot of criticism

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Oct 2021 12:25

Is it only me but I LOVED that game!

Had Cardiff come to the MadStad and done exactly what we did to Cardiff on Saturday I don’t think more than a couple of idiots would have said we were robbed.

It was a professional performance away from home. I fully expected us to score first half and I expected a lot of Cardiff crosses or long balls for most of the 90.

Watching, it never felt like we were opened up and “deserved” to concede and apart from the last 15-20 (incl overtime) I thought were the better side.

As extra time approached I said to the GF that anything from 8 minutes ET down would be a bonus. When TEN minutes extra was announced I just presumed Cardiff would get the equaliser, NOT because they deserved one, but because the “10” must have lifted their morale so much.

I absolutely loved extra time, especially the dreamy quality of the Ejaria Twins wasting time. The moment when Ovie suddenly left 28 defenders on the floor and raced towards the middle was utter magic!

Had we tapped in the second then, I don’t think a pundit in the land would not have said the classy team deservedly won.

Cardiff weren’t terrible and they will stick three on a few at home.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Oct 2021 12:32

Hound
NathStPaul Good teams know how to win ugly.

not that ugly though

Do wonder what the reaction had been had they scored. After Cov, which didn't watch but sounded fairly similar it was all outrage in how shit we'd been, despite conceding a very late goal. Had that flukey cross been 1 cm the other way and gone in, I'm sure there'd have been a lot of criticism

Fine margins as an ex manager used to quote on a regular basis

Strong teams are able to grind out games 1-0, a quality we haven’t really had for a long time. Rode our luck at times but a fantastic result and puts us in a good position ahead of two winnable home games with more players either back or closer to returning

Would still utilise this break to look for a striker, even if only on a short term/pay as you play contract. Andy Carroll perhaps? :wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2021 12:34

Snowball Is it only me but I LOVED that game!

Had Cardiff come to the MadStad and done exactly what we did to Cardiff on Saturday I don’t think more than a couple of idiots would have said we were robbed.

It was a professional performance away from home. I fully expected us to score first half and I expected a lot of Cardiff crosses or long balls for most of the 90.

Watching, it never felt like we were opened up and “deserved” to concede and apart from the last 15-20 (incl overtime) I thought were the better side.

As extra time approached I said to the GF that anything from 8 minutes ET down would be a bonus. When TEN minutes extra was announced I just presumed Cardiff would get the equaliser, NOT because they deserved one, but because the “10” must have lifted their morale so much.

I absolutely loved extra time, especially the dreamy quality of the Ejaria Twins wasting time. The moment when Ovie suddenly left 28 defenders on the floor and raced towards the middle was utter magic!

Had we tapped in the second then, I don’t think a pundit in the land would not have said the classy team deservedly won.

Cardiff weren’t terrible and they will stick three on a few at home.

No not just you
I also loved it
As per my earlier post

Though I feared the worst for all the second half. As the pressure was relentless

But some really gutsy defending got us through it. Players looked exhausted at the end. As they should but often don't

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Oct 2021 12:37

I have been a fan of Puscas and I don’t know why the manager appears not to like him.

More importantly it looks a bit like some PLAYERS don’t like him.

When I watch Puscas, I don’t “feel a goal” coming the way I did watching JOAO, Shane Long and a few others. There is no RUSH…

I suspect either playboy antics or a dressing room spat or something.

Remember how out of things and “down” Puscas was during the lockdowns? Long way from home etc, living in a hotel, mostly alone?

He has had a tough two years and he looks mentally “shot” to me.

It’s sad because there is a good player in there

I would love him to get a freak hat-trick and everything turn round for him, but it now looks 50-1 against. It’s a chemistry thing, not just 442 v 451 but RFC with George just looks like it’s a 10 man team plus one

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2021 12:59

Hound out for a couple of months from the sounds of it, will be a loss

I'm not sure winning the game was the sign of a good team as such. Going away and smashing them 3-0 is a sign of a good team.

What it does show is that we have some of the resilience back that was so sorely lacking early season when we crumbled time and again. Will certainly take the 3 points and hopefully give us the chance to build on it with some improved all round displays.

Not sure we'll get many back in the international break. Rino I assume, Dann a bit fitter. Tetek. Morro or Holmes a maybe. AH, McIntyre, Azeez, Joao, Meite all a way off I think

Seems to be mixed messaging on Halilovic - Eddie ITK on Twitter says a couple of months but VP suggested he could be back after the break, so may not be a pull but a tweak. Truth probably somewhere in between but VP has been fairly open about injuries this season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 14:31

Wycombe Royal
Millsy They probably deserved to win

I hate it when people say things like that. ....

Even if you win 1-0 and your keeper make 25 brilliant saves you still deserve to win.

In the words of Alan Partridge "that's why I said that".

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Oct 2021 14:36

bcubed
windermereROYAL
bcubed Seeing the highlights think we were fortunate not to concede a penalty form Yiadoms challenge. But how Collins wasn't sent off for his high foot tackle into the face of Southwood I'm really not sure.

Because Yiadom clearly played the ball, i didn`t see the Collins challenge.

Went through the man first the way i saw it

Nonsense, they were side by side and both touched the ball at virtually the same time.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Oct 2021 14:36

Snowball I have been a fan of Puscas and I don’t know why the manager appears not to like him.

More importantly it looks a bit like some PLAYERS don’t like him.

When I watch Puscas, I don’t “feel a goal” coming the way I did watching JOAO, Shane Long and a few others. There is no RUSH…

I suspect either playboy antics or a dressing room spat or something.

Remember how out of things and “down” Puscas was during the lockdowns? Long way from home etc, living in a hotel, mostly alone?

He has had a tough two years and he looks mentally “shot” to me.

It’s sad because there is a good player in there

I would love him to get a freak hat-trick and everything turn round for him, but it now looks 50-1 against. It’s a chemistry thing, not just 442 v 451 but RFC with George just looks like it’s a 10 man team plus one

I desperately want him to do well and he is talented (these are not good times for the Romanian national team, but he is iirc their number one striker which does mean something).

However I was at the QPR game and I thought he was poor. I got shot down for saying that on here, where it was Pauno who got grief for taking him off.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2021 15:21

windermereROYAL
bcubed
windermereROYAL
Because Yiadom clearly played the ball, i didn`t see the Collins challenge.

Went through the man first the way i saw it

Nonsense, they were side by side and both touched the ball at virtually the same time.

:roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2021 16:05

On the penalty, just seen the highlight - you can see why Cardiff wanted in, but I think the ref got it spot on, gets a good amount of the ball.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 16:13

Snowball When I watch Puscas, I don’t “feel a goal” coming the way I did watching JOAO, Shane Long and a few others. There is no RUSH…

Ian Rush was a Liverpool player, and that was years ago. He's never played for us IIRC.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 16:14

Hendo On the penalty, just seen the highlight - you can see why Cardiff wanted in, but I think the ref got it spot on, gets a good amount of the ball.

"Seen them given".

But kicking Southwood in the face was a much bigger shout than the pen to me.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Oct 2021 16:37

Stranded

Seems to be mixed messaging on Halilovic - Eddie ITK on Twitter says a couple of months but VP suggested he could be back after the break, so may not be a pull but a tweak. Truth probably somewhere in between but VP has been fairly open about injuries this season.

Given people were critical of his substitution, the pull/strain clearly wasn't sufficient for those watching the game to notice it (I certainly didn't). So hopefully he felt a tightness and sensibly asked to be subbed before any serious damage was done.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Oct 2021 17:50

Snowball I have been a fan of Puscas and I don’t know why the manager appears not to like him.

Needs a partner to play off. Poor recruitment as no thought into how to play him. Another marque signing based on reputation alone from afar. In the haste to achieve the owners ambitions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2021 21:19

RoyalBlue
Stranded

Given people were critical of his substitution, the pull/strain clearly wasn't sufficient for those watching the game to notice it (I certainly didn't). So hopefully he felt a tightness and sensibly asked to be subbed before any serious damage was done.

He definitely signalled to the bench but wouldn't have been clear to most at the time.