MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h)

by Sutekh » 12 Oct 2021 12:27

When : Saturday 16th October 2021, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Saturday sees Barnsley roll into town ready to face a Reading side that might actually have a couple of players back from the various treatment/fitness tables that must currently litter Bearwood.

Barnsley have not had a good start and currently languish in the relegation battle having amassed just a solitary victory this season so far (against high flying Coventry). However they remain tough outfit to beat as they’ve racked up 5 draws from their fixtures so far incl. a decent point at QPR (though they were 2-0 up in that so it would suggest some defensive deficiencies are there to be exploited).

As ever Cauley Woodrow is the main threat with 3 goals so far, then Dominic Frieser has bagged a couple from midfield, after that it’s been a bit of a struggle for the Tykes to find the net but no doubt Reading will be able to present them with a few “helping hands” during the course of the 90 minutes.

There is actually some hope that Dann might be fit enough to start and also hope that both Rinomhota and Morrison might be in contention for at least a bench appearance. Of course, to counter this positive news, Moore appears to have had a reaction to his Cardiff return (that curtailed his trip to Jamaica) and Puscas was apparently absent from the last Romania squad despite playing (and doing reasonably well) for them against Germany. So who knows whether they will be available for Saturday.

But if Moore and Puscas are ok then we could be looking at just (I think) the 7 (SEVEN) :shock: crocks; Azeez, Holmes, Araruna, Joao, Meite, Tetek and Halilovic.

Referee

Andy “I have reffed Reading away, honest” Davies

Previously

20 Oct 20 > Reading 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers
07 Mar 20 > Birmingham City 1-3 Reading
08 Feb 20 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
18 Aug 19 > Reading 3-0 Cardiff City
09 Mar 19 > Reading 3-2 Wigan Athletic
26 Dec 18 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Oct 18 > Reading 0-1 Queens Park Rangers
28 Feb 18 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield United
19 Sep 17 > Reading 0-2 Swansea City (LC)
07 Mar 17 > Reading 0-0 Newcastle United
26 Dec 16 > Reading 3-1 Norwich City
29 Oct 16 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
06 Aug 16 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
15 Sep 15 > Reading 0-1 Derby County

Historically

Overall though this game is the Tykes' 37th league trip to Reading and they've only won 6 of the previous 36 games in total compared to Reading's 20 victories. Of the 10 league draws in Reading, a whopping 8 of them have finished 0-0.

But in recent times Barnsley have had an annoying habit of turning up, being dour, and going home with 3 points as 3 of those 6 Barnsley wins have been in the last 7 games played.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h)

by Barney » 12 Oct 2021 18:09

Excellent write up Sutekh. Am looking forward to Saturday...possibly finishing the day very close to the playoffs.

Interesting to see your stat re the number of 0-0 draws. Might have a quid or two on that.

Two home games coming up. Four wins from the last 5 games. Possibly in the top six by 10pm Wednesday ? :D

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Oct 2021 18:47

On Puscas he was suspended for the last game. I suspect his red and then the yellow v Germany equates to three yellow cards and a one match suspension. He previously received a suspension just for the red.

Sorry to be pedantic but it’s eight as TMac is still out.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 12 Oct 2021 20:43

So who do we play up top against Barnsley? Do we go for the badly out of form Puscas who is still struggling to adapt to the lone striker role, or do we go with the inexperienced Clarke who is better adapted for the lone striker role and is also coming off the back off a three goal game against Norwich U-23s. Or do we play the false 9 with Hoilett playing the deep striking role?

My head says stick with Puscas, as surly he must come good sooner or later, even the law of averages suggest he's due an upturn in form and goals.
My heart says give the young lad a go, what have we to lose, and you never know, it may end up being a masterstroke.
Or will Pauno go with the more boring and conservative false nine. Maybe a few weeks ago i would say yes to this if Halihovic was available as his support play and creativity down the right is amazing. But with him out i believe Hoilett will get the right sided role.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Oct 2021 09:27

I know Barnsley are bottom three and with a -7 GD
but they have had some very decent results away

Banana Skin?

I hope not. It would be nice to "deal with" our minus 6 by beating the two Bs

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Oct 2021 09:47

Snowball I know Barnsley are bottom three and with a -7 GD

Banana Skin?

They're shite. We'll batter them.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Oct 2021 10:10

Pepe the Horseman
Snowball I know Barnsley are bottom three and with a -7 GD

Banana Skin?

They're shite. We'll batter them.

So 1-1 then?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Oct 2021 11:04

Zip On Puscas he was suspended for the last game. I suspect his red and then the yellow v Germany equates to three yellow cards and a one match suspension. He previously received a suspension just for the red.

Very close to being back apparently....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Oct 2021 11:42

Nameless
Zip On Puscas he was suspended for the last game. I suspect his red and then the yellow v Germany equates to three yellow cards and a one match suspension. He previously received a suspension just for the red.

Very close to being back apparently....

That’s good to hear.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Oct 2021 12:54

Crowbar6753 So who do we play up top against Barnsley? Do we go for the badly out of form Puscas who is still struggling to adapt to the lone striker role, or do we go with the inexperienced Clarke who is better adapted for the lone striker role and is also coming off the back off a three goal game against Norwich U-23s. Or do we play the false 9 with Hoilett playing the deep striking role?

My head says stick with Puscas, as surly he must come good sooner or later, even the law of averages suggest he's due an upturn in form and goals.
My heart says give the young lad a go, what have we to lose, and you never know, it may end up being a masterstroke.
Or will Pauno go with the more boring and conservative false nine. Maybe a few weeks ago i would say yes to this if Halihovic was available as his support play and creativity down the right is amazing. But with him out i believe Hoilett will get the right sided role.

Puscas

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Oct 2021 13:04

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 So who do we play up top against Barnsley? Do we go for the badly out of form Puscas who is still struggling to adapt to the lone striker role, or do we go with the inexperienced Clarke who is better adapted for the lone striker role and is also coming off the back off a three goal game against Norwich U-23s. Or do we play the false 9 with Hoilett playing the deep striking role?

Puscas

Puscas - But only if the others want to pass it to him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Oct 2021 15:55

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal

Puscas

Ah

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Oct 2021 17:57

Puscas was doing very well indeed in the two games before he was strangely dropped. Had a good assist IIRC.

There's no question he starts. If we're winning, we swap him for Clarke as he tires. If not we swap a DM for Clarke to play alongside him.

But knowing Pauno, he won't start, and even if he does he'll swap Puscas for a defender if we're winning, and simply swap him for another striker if we're not :?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Oct 2021 19:38

Puscas>Hoilett>Clarke

Not sure I'd describe Hoilett as a "false nine", haven't seen every game he's played for us but I remember him mostly playing on the shoulder of the last man.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Oct 2021 22:22

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal

Puscas

Indeed.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Oct 2021 08:19

From Twitter

Junior Hoilett has picked up a (hamstring) injury in training with Canada. Missed the game against Panama.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2021 14:10

Barnsley will be without 3 players for the game (Mads Andersen, Carlton Morris and Obbi Oulare) and also have doubts over midfielder Josh Benson and defender Appo Halm.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 14 Oct 2021 14:30

Play Dann up there and just cross lots of balls in.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Oct 2021 14:32

does anybody want to meet up with me in the pub before? i am going

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Oct 2021 10:34

linkenholtroyal Play Dann up there and just cross lots of balls in.

I thing is for certain.......we wont cross the ball :lol:

The main question is, how long would it take for the fans to say he is shit cos he cant play a give and go?