BFTG - Barnsley

148 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Barnsley

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Oct 2021 20:31

Crowbar6753 This season is becoming pretty surreal!! we have huge financial issues, an impending points deduction looming, and the worst injury crisis that i can remember in the 40yrs of watch Reading since i was a kid!!
And yet, here we are sitting 7th in the league just outside the playoffs as if nothing has happened. If we can just hang in there until the New Year and get our bench looking respectable again and hopefully we only recieve a 6 point deduction i really thing we could do the impossible and get into the play-offs which would be just crazy.

We have no financial issues and aren't going into administration anytime soon. In trouble for spending more than we are allowed yes, I think as long as the owners don't put the spending as a debt on us that it should be a problem. If I was a billionaire and wanted + didn't mind writing off some cash I'd bankroll the club to hopefully improve success moving forward

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Oct 2021 21:12

Royal_jimmy
Crowbar6753 This season is becoming pretty surreal!! we have huge financial issues, an impending points deduction looming, and the worst injury crisis that i can remember in the 40yrs of watch Reading since i was a kid!!
And yet, here we are sitting 7th in the league just outside the playoffs as if nothing has happened. If we can just hang in there until the New Year and get our bench looking respectable again and hopefully we only recieve a 6 point deduction i really thing we could do the impossible and get into the play-offs which would be just crazy.

We have no financial issues

Major financial constraints. The game is all about money now. With the chasm widening. Probably why the overall quality of Championship teams is becoming poorer every year.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Oct 2021 21:53

So good to get yet another win under our belts.

Barnsley weren’t a great side, they pressed hard but ineffectively. We passed it around them pretty comfortably and while they had a few shots they were all comfortable saves for Southwood. While we looked good in tight spaces, we were unusually sloppy once we had beaten the press and gave the ball away too often with loose passes under no pressure.

We had the better of it and deserved our win, but only actually got it because of some utter brilliance from Swift.

Would like to see Azeez start the next game on the right. TDB and Halilovic are too similar to Swift and Ejaria (and Puscas for that matter), we need someone who offers genuine penetration. Puscas’s best form for us has come with Meite coming off the right, so I think having Azeez around would do him a lot of good.

My one serious complaint is that we were too defensive when we had the lead once again, we got everyone behind the ball and allowed Barnsley to pile men forward. We need an out ball, we need to give them something to worry about.

MOTM - hard to look past Swift but generally thought everyone had a good game, save perhaps TDB.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Oct 2021 21:57

Actually, I just checked WhoScored and TDB created two chances and did more defensive work than I had appreciated, fair play.

Dann, though, made ten clearances, one tackle and one block, while Rahman made five tackles, three interceptions and one block. Incredible effort from both of them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Oct 2021 22:03

SCIAG Actually, I just checked WhoScored and TDB created two chances and did more defensive work than I had appreciated, fair play.

Dann, though, made ten clearances, one tackle and one block, while Rahman made five tackles, three interceptions and one block. Incredible effort from both of them.

Rahman is a very positive player. I like the way he pushes forward. Just needs to improve his delivery into the box

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 16 Oct 2021 22:05

Gunny Fishcake " No pictures on a scorecard".......dire game illuminated by a fantastic goal by Swift.

Just wondering, has a team that's a received a points penalty during a season ever been promoted ?

Not quite, but Arsenal we’re deducted 2 points as a penalty in 90/91 and still went on to win the Title.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Oct 2021 22:27

That Barnsley physio lass had an AMAZING arse.

Can't believe noone has mentioned it yet.

Yeh the win was good too.

Never understand Pauno and Puscas but that's just his thing. As long as we're winning we're all happy. Start having shit form again though and that sort of decision will raise more eyebrows. But anyway yes great win.

Rahman was excellent today.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Oct 2021 22:32

Millsy That Barnsley physio lass had an AMAZING arse.

Can't believe noone has mentioned it yet.

It definitely didn`t go unnoticed, amazed their players didn`t go down with groin strains more often.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Oct 2021 22:44

Zip
SCIAG Actually, I just checked WhoScored and TDB created two chances and did more defensive work than I had appreciated, fair play.

Rahman is a very positive player. I like the way he pushes forward. Just needs to improve his delivery into the box

I like Rahman, a lot. He’s a proper left back. Not blessed with blistering pace but he’s a really solid player by and large.

I actually think he’s got a pretty good delivery, a few overhit but a lot of balls are right in the danger area there’s just rarely someone in the middle.

Davezk

by Davezk » 16 Oct 2021 22:57

Good win good times

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Oct 2021 23:27

Manager

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 16 Oct 2021 23:44

Mid Sussex Royal Yes today wasn't a great performance but need to remember we have 10+ first team players injured and have for some time. Do the same with every other championship team over a six week period and see what results they'd get....we've just won 5 out of 6.

Everyone keeps saying we have 10+ first team players out. No, we have 10+ players out not first team players. Other than Joao this is our strongest xi. Possible meite would come in on the right, not sure though, considering the system we are playing. We should be doing better against the likes Barnsley and we shouldn’t be using injuries as an excuse.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Oct 2021 23:53

Brogue
Mid Sussex Royal Yes today wasn't a great performance but need to remember we have 10+ first team players injured and have for some time. Do the same with every other championship team over a six week period and see what results they'd get....we've just won 5 out of 6.

Everyone keeps saying we have 10+ first team players out. No, we have 10+ players out not first team players. Other than Joao this is our strongest xi. Possible meite would come in on the right, not sure though, considering the system we are playing. We should be doing better against the likes Barnsley and we shouldn’t be using injuries as an excuse.

Rino would stake a claim but obviously Drinkwater has come in and played that role fantastically.

Another issue is we lack options on the bench, possibly why we've struggled late in games this season.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 00:01

tidus_mi2
Brogue

Rino would stake a claim but obviously Drinkwater has come in and played that role fantastically.

Another issue is we lack options on the bench, possibly why we've struggled late in games this season.

Rino is overrated and won’t be getting near the first team if the current incumbents stay fit. I’m not really sure what rino offers to be honest, very over rated.

And yes agreed on the subs front, we have a very weak bench with limited options. But I was more taking umbrage to ‘the we have 10+ first team players out’. Players such as Araruna who has played a grand total of 5 games for us is being classed as first team? Tetek, Holmes? Come one man.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Oct 2021 00:28

Should have also been on the scoresheet, didn’t see it clearly at the game but he was at least a yard onside.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Oct 2021 00:42

Brogue
tidus_mi2
Brogue

Rino is overrated and won’t be getting near the first team if the current incumbents stay fit. I’m not really sure what rino offers to be honest, very over rated.

And yes agreed on the subs front, we have a very weak bench with limited options. But I was more taking umbrage to ‘the we have 10+ first team players out’. Players such as Araruna who has played a grand total of 5 games for us is being classed as first team? Tetek, Holmes? Come one man.

What’s wrong with Tetek and Holmes? Both have played well when they have been in the first team. Both are considered as part of the first team squad. Baffled why you would think otherwise.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Oct 2021 07:49

Brogue
tidus_mi2
Brogue

Your arguement rather falls down because you don’t understand what the phrase ‘first team’ means !

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Oct 2021 09:28

That 10-15 minute period about a third of the way into the second half where they couldn’t put two passes together was about as frustrating a period of football as I’ve seen in a long while. Ejaria didn’t cover himself in glory.

Side note: walked past Meite pre game today in the car park. Had failed to notice just how much of a solid mountain of human being he is.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 09:36

Zip
Brogue
tidus_mi2 Rino would stake a claim but obviously Drinkwater has come in and played that role fantastically.

What’s wrong with Tetek and Holmes? Both have played well when they have been in the first team. Both are considered as part of the first team squad. Baffled why you would think otherwise.

Nothing wrong with at all, where did I say there was anything wrong with them? But both would be in the u23’s when we have a fully fit squad neither would be in the match day squads.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 17 Oct 2021 09:40

Nameless
Brogue
tidus_mi2 Rino would stake a claim but obviously Drinkwater has come in and played that role fantastically.

Your arguement rather falls down because you don’t understand what the phrase ‘first team’ means !

Just because players have played in the first xi doesn’t mean they are first team players :| if we had no injuries neither would be in the match day squad.

148 posts