288 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2021 12:15

When : Wednesday, 20 October 2021, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Blackpool next. The last league visit from the men in tangerine was almost exactly 7 years ago and since the Seasiders have visited the fourth division before returning by way of a couple of play off wins which is usual for them as they don’t do promotion any other way (their record of 6 wins from 8 play off finals being the best in the country).

Blackpool started poorly but have now got to grips with things it seems and are currently a difficult side to beat. Their current form has seen them win 3 and draw 1 of their last 5, including a victory at Middlesbrough. The resurgency that is Nottm Forest managed to stop their little bandwagon on Saturday but that should make them all the more determined in this one (though perhaps we can hope that their derby game with Preston next Saturday might divert some attention).

Shane Lavery and Jerry Yates have racked up 8 goals between them so far and but for Lavery’s recent injury they could be forming a very promising forward line for the Seasiders (certainly more potent that Reading’s current forward anyway). In contrast to the effectiveness of their forwards Blackpool are yet to keep a clean sheet away from home which I’m sure will give some lift to Reading’s immense range of attacking threat - and not at all be a jinx that provides for a bad struggle.

Injury wise Blackpool have some issues with 6 players out, as well as the aforementioned Lavery the club will be without CJ Hamilton, Marty Virtue, Reece James, Chris Maxwell and Grant Ward, in addition Dujon Sterling (illness) and Keshi Anderson (family matter) both missed the Forest game so may be doubts.

Reading will hopefully not add to their injury woes after Saturday but rather improve further with the addition of Andy Rinomhota to the option already on the bench - if that happens Reading’s injury list could actually fall into single figures (leaving just Araruna, Holmes, Hoilett, Morrison, Joao, McIntyre, Tetek, Meite and Halilovic) and there are rumours that Halilovic and/or Holmes could be back in the next couple of games too!

Referee

Jeremy Simpson

Previously....

02 Jan 2021 > Huddersfield 1-2 Reading
28 Nov 2020 > Reading 3-1 Bristol City
29 Feb 2020 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
30 Nov 2019 > Wigan Athletic 1-3 Reading
22 Oct 2019 > Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Reading
23 Feb 2019 > Reading 1-1 Rotherham United
22 Sep 2018 > Reading 3-0 Hull City
21 Apr 2018 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Reading
14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

Previous league games between the clubs have returned 17 Reading wins to 12 for the Seasiders from 40 games played and of those 40, 34 have been played since December 1979.

In Reading there have been 12 wins for the Royals against 2 for Blackpool and Reading have won the last 6 league games played at home. Blackpool’s last win in Reading was on 26th April 1980 (anyone on here go to that?) which means a current run of 15 league visits and no wins.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Red button
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by Zip » 17 Oct 2021 12:22

Given our results with this ref in charge I’m quite hopeful.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Oct 2021 12:32

Will be shocked if we don't absolutely annihilate them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Oct 2021 12:33

Pepe the Horseman Will be shocked if we don't absolutely annihilate them.

They aren’t a bad side. Pretty solid mid table. Another narrow win I reckon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2021 15:41

Iirc our recent record against teams beginning with B is pretty good.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Oct 2021 17:47

Don’t see these results continuing. I’ve followed Reading long enough to know when everyone seems relatively optimistic we will almost certainly lose.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Oct 2021 18:18

I think another win is on the cards here, team seem to be in a really good place at the moment. Puscas can do one though, would much rather play Azeez up top for this one.

by 9165 » 17 Oct 2021 18:30

Blackpool’s last win in Reading was on 26th April 1980 (anyone on here go to that?) which means a current run of 15 league visits and no wins.

I did indeed go to this, the last game of the season between 2 mid table teams with nothing to play for.
Anorak time - my main memory is seeing Lawrie Sanchez almost in tears before the match - he had played every league game of the season until this one , and was dropped to the bench! :shock:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Oct 2021 18:37

Some Blackpool twat The Three Guineas outside the station is the usual away fans pub. The shuttle buses to the MatStad are only 2 mins walk from there and take about 10mins if traffic is OK. There are no pubs near the stadium, although there is a bar in concourse. It's a soulless hole, if we take 400 we'll make more noise than them.

They haven't been here since C1871 started, might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Oct 2021 18:39

9165 Blackpool’s last win in Reading was on 26th April 1980 (anyone on here go to that?) which means a current run of 15 league visits and no wins.

I did indeed go to this, the last game of the season between 2 mid table teams with nothing to play for.
Anorak time - my main memory is seeing Lawrie Sanchez almost in tears before the match - he had played every league game of the season until this one , and was dropped to the bench! :shock:

Was at that game too...I believe we were mid/upper table and they desperately needed the points at the bottom, may be wrong on that though. Was Alan Ball their manager then?

by 9165 » 17 Oct 2021 18:57

Mid Sussex Royal
9165 Blackpool’s last win in Reading was on 26th April 1980 (anyone on here go to that?) which means a current run of 15 league visits and no wins.

Was at that game too...I believe we were mid/upper table and they desperately needed the points at the bottom, may be wrong on that though. Was Alan Ball their manager then?

Could have been, I`ll see if I can unearth the programme from the dark recesses of the loft! I think their 1-0 win was rendered academic by results elsewhere but I may be wrong! I was stood right behind the goal in the Tilehurst End, I do remember that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Oct 2021 00:37

CountryRoyal Don’t see these results continuing. I’ve followed Reading long enough to know when everyone seems relatively optimistic we will almost certainly lose.

I too think we're unlikely to keep taking 2.5 points a game over the course of the rest of the season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Oct 2021 01:16

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Don’t see these results continuing. I’ve followed Reading long enough to know when everyone seems relatively optimistic we will almost certainly lose.

I too think we're unlikely to keep taking 2.5 points a game over the course of the rest of the season.

Would be nice to finish with 104pts though.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 18 Oct 2021 02:11

Snowflake Royal Iirc our recent record against teams beginning with B is pretty good.

Bristol city?

by 9165 » 18 Oct 2021 14:03

Mid Sussex Royal

Could have been, I`ll see if I can unearth the programme from the dark recesses of the loft! I think their 1-0 win was rendered academic by results elsewhere but I may be wrong! I was stood right behind the goal in the Tilehurst End, I do remember that.

Have dug out the programme, Alan Ball had been appointed manager of Blackpool but was still in America at the time of this game. This was our last home game, we still had Rotherham away to play to finish the season. At 2.59 pm, we were 6th but no chance of promotion (no play-offs then), Blackpool were 19th but only on goal difference, so you were right about them needing the points!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Oct 2021 16:04

Sutekh,
Are we definitely on the red button despite having a later kick-off time than the main match?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2021 16:05

South Coast Royal Sutekh,
Are we definitely on the red button despite having a later kick-off time than the main match?

isnt that normally the case? Sky are advertising it as being on the red button so should be

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2021 16:06

didn't on Saturday tbf

would be pretty disappointed not to get the 3 points in this tbh

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Oct 2021 17:06

Hound

didn't on Saturday tbf

So would I, but on the balance of overall performances we’ve been relatively fortunate to come away with 6 points from the last 2 games imho.

This is exactly the type of game we expect to win, then don’t.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Oct 2021 18:21

CountryRoyal
Hound

didn't on Saturday tbf

So would I, but on the balance of overall performances we’ve been relatively fortunate to come away with 6 points from the last 2 games imho.

This is exactly the type of game we expect to win, then don’t.

With the squad we have available, results are going to trump performances by some margin at the mo. The first XI is pretty strong but we have nothing to back it up or freshen it up if needed. As a result, games will likely be a bit patchy but we have tightened up defensively, even Cardiff with their 25 shots rarely threatened as we made them shoot from distance/angles, so when we do click we know we have a decent chance of winning the game.

As options return, there will be the chance to freshen up both in game and between games, so with luck the current consistancy in results will translate to a consistancy in performance.

Anyway, I tend to ignore previous games when we are on a run, good or bad, we are playing a team we have the ability to beat. If we keep tight at the back, we will create chances and I would be disappointed not to win on Weds esp. as our home form is starting to look pretty impressive - only a shocking 15mins v Bristol and 15 v QPR have stopped us being near perfect at home.

288 posts