MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

288 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by Zip » 18 Oct 2021 19:07

Driving from home in the Cotswolds to Cornwall for a revisit on one of my large losses on Wednesday. Before returning home.Then to Reading and back in the evening. Around 550 miles all in I reckon.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 09:00

Stranded
CountryRoyal
Hound
didn't on Saturday tbf

would be pretty disappointed not to get the 3 points in this tbh

So would I, but on the balance of overall performances we’ve been relatively fortunate to come away with 6 points from the last 2 games imho.

This is exactly the type of game we expect to win, then don’t.

With the squad we have available, results are going to trump performances by some margin at the mo. The first XI is pretty strong but we have nothing to back it up or freshen it up if needed. As a result, games will likely be a bit patchy but we have tightened up defensively, even Cardiff with their 25 shots rarely threatened as we made them shoot from distance/angles, so when we do click we know we have a decent chance of winning the game.

As options return, there will be the chance to freshen up both in game and between games, so with luck the current consistancy in results will translate to a consistancy in performance.

Anyway, I tend to ignore previous games when we are on a run, good or bad, we are playing a team we have the ability to beat. If we keep tight at the back, we will create chances and I would be disappointed not to win on Weds esp. as our home form is starting to look pretty impressive - only a shocking 15mins v Bristol and 15 v QPR have stopped us being near perfect at home.

Yep would agree with that. Again a few were dead on their feet on Saturday. Its about grinding out the wins until we hopefully get some of the back up in.

We certainly look a lot stronger at the back, and I'd always back us to score 1 with the ability in midfield. Another 1-0 wouldn't be a big surprise

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2021 10:23

Hound
Stranded
CountryRoyal
So would I, but on the balance of overall performances we’ve been relatively fortunate to come away with 6 points from the last 2 games imho.

This is exactly the type of game we expect to win, then don’t.

With the squad we have available, results are going to trump performances by some margin at the mo. The first XI is pretty strong but we have nothing to back it up or freshen it up if needed. As a result, games will likely be a bit patchy but we have tightened up defensively, even Cardiff with their 25 shots rarely threatened as we made them shoot from distance/angles, so when we do click we know we have a decent chance of winning the game.

As options return, there will be the chance to freshen up both in game and between games, so with luck the current consistancy in results will translate to a consistancy in performance.

Anyway, I tend to ignore previous games when we are on a run, good or bad, we are playing a team we have the ability to beat. If we keep tight at the back, we will create chances and I would be disappointed not to win on Weds esp. as our home form is starting to look pretty impressive - only a shocking 15mins v Bristol and 15 v QPR have stopped us being near perfect at home.

Yep would agree with that. Again a few were dead on their feet on Saturday. Its about grinding out the wins until we hopefully get some of the back up in.

We certainly look a lot stronger at the back, and I'd always back us to score 1 with the ability in midfield. Another 1-0 wouldn't be a big surprise

After their 2-week break I didn't think they looked out on their feet apart from Andy Yiadom.
I doubt that there will be as many powder-puff strike forces as Cardiff and Barnsley e.g Blackburn and AFC Bournemouth to come and seemingly at long last we have been getting a bit of luck on the pitch which may run out.

Whatever, all credit to the players and the coach for somehow getting us into our current position.
BTW, talking of the Bournemouth game coming up, they have just signed out-of-contract Robbie Brady which can only strengthen an already decent midfield especially with Lewis Cook returning from a very long term injury and Junior Stanislas also nearly fit again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2021 10:35

There used to be a period, like from 1995-2021, when we'd beat big teams but fail miserably against easier teams we'd be expected to beat.

I don't feel that with Pauno's current team.

So it's a win for me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Oct 2021 10:42

Millsy There used to be a period, like from 1995-2021, when we'd beat big teams but fail miserably against easier teams we'd be expected to beat.

So it's a win for me.

True - results this year by current position do show we are beating the teams we "should" beat:

Wins v: 3rd, 12th, 18th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd
Draw v: 8th
Losses v: 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 24th (or 14th without deduction).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2021 10:45

Stranded
Millsy There used to be a period, like from 1995-2021, when we'd beat big teams but fail miserably against easier teams we'd be expected to beat.

So it's a win for me.

True - results this year by current position do show we are beating the teams we "should" beat:

Wins v: 3rd, 12th, 18th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd
Draw v: 8th
Losses v: 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 24th (or 14th without deduction).

Great data, thank you.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 10:47

South Coast Royal
Hound
Stranded

After their 2-week break I didn't think they looked out on their feet apart from Andy Yiadom.
I doubt that there will be as many powder-puff strike forces as Cardiff and Barnsley e.g Blackburn and AFC Bournemouth to come and seemingly at long last we have been getting a bit of luck on the pitch which may run out.

Whatever, all credit to the players and the coach for somehow getting us into our current position.
BTW, talking of the Bournemouth game coming up, they have just signed out-of-contract Robbie Brady which can only strengthen an already decent midfield especially with Lewis Cook returning from a very long term injury and Junior Stanislas also nearly fit again.

Definitely were a few struggling towards the end. Couple of them collapsed in a heap at the final whistle, and the midfield were certainly getting more sluggish as the game went on. Would definitely have benefited from bringing on a fresh Rino/AH for example in the last 15

not sure about the strike forces - Moore is as good a striker as there is in the division and Woodrow is very handy as well. Granted both sides well out of form

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2021 11:18

Hound
South Coast Royal
Hound

Definitely were a few struggling towards the end. Couple of them collapsed in a heap at the final whistle, and the midfield were certainly getting more sluggish as the game went on. Would definitely have benefited from bringing on a fresh Rino/AH for example in the last 15

not sure about the strike forces - Moore is as good a striker as there is in the division and Woodrow is very handy as well. Granted both sides well out of form

Just for the record in the Championship this season:-
Moore 1 goal in 12 games
Woodrow 3 goals in 12

Looking ahead to the Blackburn and Bournemouth games we will probably face:-
Brereton-Diaz 10 goals in 11 games
Solanke 7 in 12

If we come through these next 3 games still in 7th place it will be some achievement and we can then start to believe as much as stranded does. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 11:22

South Coast Royal Just for the record in the Championship this season:-
Moore 1 goal in 12 games
Woodrow 3 goals in 12

Solanke 7 in 12

If we come through these next 3 games still in 7th place it will be some achievement and we can then start to believe as much as stranded does. :wink:

Still decent strikers though. Moore scored 20 last year (+ 3 international goals this year), Woodrow 15 for the last two years running. Short term thats more due to the lack of team form I'd imagine.

Diaz obvs on great form, but Blackburn have won 1 in 5. Obvs your faves Bournemouth are a different matter altogether

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2021 11:29

Hound
South Coast Royal Just for the record in the Championship this season:-
Moore 1 goal in 12 games
Woodrow 3 goals in 12

Solanke 7 in 12

Still decent strikers though. Moore scored 20 last year (+ 3 international goals this year), Woodrow 15 for the last two years running. Short term thats more due to the lack of team form I'd imagine.

Diaz obvs on great form, but Blackburn have won 1 in 5. Obvs your faves Bournemouth are a different matter altogether

Would have preferred a :D or :wink: after "faves".
Having said that, I do have a sizeable bet on them to get promotion as betting does not necessarily mean that you want it to happen, rather that you expect it to happen.

BTW I would just (Keeganesque) luvv it if we beat them on 30th.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2021 14:22

Hound
South Coast Royal Sutekh,
Are we definitely on the red button despite having a later kick-off time than the main match?

isnt that normally the case? Sky are advertising it as being on the red button so should be

SKY Sports site says:

Reading vs Blackpool (8pm) - Live on Sky Sports Football Red Button & Sky Sports app

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 19 Oct 2021 15:31

Bad news!!! Rusty hopes to be at this game :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 15:35

Rusty royal Bad news!!! Rusty hopes to be at this game :shock:

I should think so too. Bleedin’ plastic.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 19 Oct 2021 15:42

Zip

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 15:46

Rusty royal
Zip

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How are things Rusty? Health holding up?

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 19 Oct 2021 15:51

Yes thanks! had a scare last weekend with chest pains but turned out to be a build up of crystals in my blood (uric acid), so yes I am marginally OK.

my son is arranging tickets for the game so do not know where I'll be sitting.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 16:03

Rusty royal Yes thanks! had a scare last weekend with chest pains but turned out to be a build up of crystals in my blood (uric acid), so yes I am marginally OK.

my son is arranging tickets for the game so do not know where I'll be sitting.

I shall wave to you from high up in the ED.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 19 Oct 2021 16:11

Zip

I shall look out for a mad waver :lol: :lol: I forgot to pack my royals jacket so will be wearing a red :oops: rain coat :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 17:08

Rusty royal
Zip

I shall look out for a mad waver :lol: :lol: I forgot to pack my royals jacket so will be wearing a red :oops: rain coat :wink:

Let me know if you are in the ED and where and I will pop over to say hello.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2021 17:09

Hound
South Coast Royal
Hound

Mitrovic is pretty handy too, but for some reason it just didn’t seem to work for Fulham.... though on another day I thought they could have had a hatful.

There is a bit of a feel for me of a sharp clinical attack is likely to punish us still though. Whether they look like they should on paper or not,l not really, its more about how they play on the day.

But I guess you could always say that!

288 posts