BFTG Swanse(a)

Once upon a time .

Re: BFTG Swanse(a)

by Once upon a time . » 28 Nov 2021 21:13

I thought about replying , but don’t think it’s worth it .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 22:57

Shrug.

You guys don't find the cause of goals and defensive shape interesting you can always scroll on by.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 29 Nov 2021 06:38

Snowflake Royal Shrug.

You guys don't find the cause of goals and defensive shape interesting you can always scroll on by.

We do

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 08:05

Snowflake Royal Shrug.

You need to see it on mobile.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 29 Nov 2021 08:23

Cracking away day that was.

I was worried we wouldn't have the legs or mental strength to see our way through, and when they equalised just after half time I thought they'd go on to beat us.

But we responded so well and held on very well. I thought the back five was superb in the last 20 minutes or so.

Southwood - 8. No chance really with the goals and some superb saves
Yids - 7. Played his part in a good defensive performance late on. Couldn't get forward quite as much as usual and he was unlucky with the first goal. Looked like he ran back in too quickly so couldn't get a good touch on it
Holmes - 7. Nervy start, thought he got dragged all over the place for the goal and looked a bit hesitant but recovered really well. Made some big clearances second half
Dann - 7. Same as above really. He looks so assured on the ball and is a great presence. Excellent signing
Baba - 6. I thought he was reasonable, if a bit suspect defensively at times. Looked like he was going to give away a penalty on a couple of occasions but his clearance late on was great
Laurent - 6. Quietly got on with the task at hand and made one great run into the corner late on to get us a bit of a breather. Was maybe a little passive defensively at times
Drinkwater - 7. Marked up by one for his goal. It was a very composed finish when I'm sure absolutely walloping it was tempting. He covered a lot of ground and got stuck in as well, committing a couple of good fouls to stop them breaking. Great ball for AC's goal
TDB - 7. Great goal and was always looking to get us forward quickly. Slightly neglectful defensively at times but got back to help out second half
Halilovic - 6. Needed to do more defensively but was threatening second half when he came more central. I thought he was a bit isolated first half when he was too wide but he showed some good interplay. Not bad for a first start in a while
Swift - 6. He's getting marked much closer these days and has to come a lot deeper to get the ball, which means he isn't as effective as he can be. But he did well to play TDB in for the goal, and had a decent free kick saved
Carroll - 9. Superb goal. Great holding and link-up play. Surprisingly fit and managed to last much longer than I thought he would. His defensive work was also impressive, winning headers from corners etc.. If we can keep him fit he could be an absolute revelation. He also gets an extra point for showing leadership and encouraging his team mates, including a nice pep talk for Puscas when he replaced him

Subs both get 6. Not a huge amount of time to impress but they both worked really hard and contributed to the result. Azeez was forced into a lot of defensive work but he played one great pass around the corner for (I think) TDB and was a willing runner. Puscas did some good shithousing and tried to create a bit of space with his runs

No real complaints with the officials which is always positive.

All in all, a very encouraging performance. We did seem to have a nasty streak at times as well, disrupting them on free kicks and leaving the boot in a bit here and there. I think you have to have a bit of that to succeed in this league. You can't be too nice. It's also good to see some resilience and reacting well to going a goal down. That has been missing for a while. Let's hope we can build on this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 08:36

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Shrug.

You need to see it on mobile.

Ahhh. Was using a big screen. At the time.

Might fix if I can be arsed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Nov 2021 08:57

anyone got an angle on Carroll's initial run for the goal. Swansea up in arms its offside.

Oh, and forget the talk about fault, defensive shape etc etc - what a win, get in their boys. Great result. Find us 9 more of those performances and we can look forward to another season in this division.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 09:03

Did anyone 3lse notice Carroll seemed very supportive in talking to Puscas?

When they subbed him off he seemed to try pump up Puscas and after the game went over to him to give him a boost.

Carroll seems to be a good guy who could uplift the squad a little off the pitch. Invited the whole team over to join his celebration too. I am interested to see how that develops.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 29 Nov 2021 09:12

NewCorkSeth Did anyone 3lse notice Carroll seemed very supportive in talking to Puscas?

When they subbed him off he seemed to try pump up Puscas and after the game went over to him to give him a boost.

Carroll seems to be a good guy who could uplift the squad a little off the pitch. Invited the whole team over to join his celebration too. I am interested to see how that develops.

Yes I noticed that. It seems like Carroll is taking his role as a senior player very seriously, which is refreshing.

Puscas just needs one in off his arse or something, just to get the scoring feeling back. I think if he and Carroll play together more, he will look more likely.

I've been very impressed with Carroll so far.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 09:18

JedMaxwell
NewCorkSeth Did anyone 3lse notice Carroll seemed very supportive in talking to Puscas?

Yes I noticed that. It seems like Carroll is taking his role as a senior player very seriously, which is refreshing.

Puscas just needs one in off his arse or something, just to get the scoring feeling back. I think if he and Carroll play together more, he will look more likely.

I've been very impressed with Carroll so far.

Very refreshing. It's important to have a voice somewhere up there on the pitch right now given that all our leaders are defenders. Someone like Carroll pulling us through games could be very important when you consider our more skillfull attackers are quite quiet. Swift, Ejaria, Halilovic and even Meite are a bit more on the quiet side.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Nov 2021 09:30

Massive Andy Yiadom fan here - probably the most consistent/best performer over the past two years, however he had an absolute shocker for that first goal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 09:34

yes Carroll has way exceeded expectations so far. Seems the ideal man up top and a proper leader. Big fan based on what I've seen so far, challenge now to keep him beyond Jan - others will be sniffing around

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 09:40

Hound yes Carroll has way exceeded expectations so far. Seems the ideal man up top and a proper leader. Big fan based on what I've seen so far, challenge now to keep him beyond Jan - others will be sniffing around

Yep, he has been great and reported in The Athletic today that he is getting just 1k pw and has joined us because he just wants to play.

I would love it if we already have something in place with him that will see him stay at least until the summer and if he is enjoying it here that can only be a positive.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 09:42

Stranded
Hound yes Carroll has way exceeded expectations so far. Seems the ideal man up top and a proper leader. Big fan based on what I've seen so far, challenge now to keep him beyond Jan - others will be sniffing around

Yep, he has been great and reported in The Athletic today that he is getting just 1k pw and has joined us because he just wants to play.

I would love it if we already have something in place with him that will see him stay at least until the summer and if he is enjoying it here that can only be a positive.

tbf not sure how impt the money is to him - He is one of the richest footballers in Britain I believe. So great he still has the hunger to play. If we can just work with him and make things as convenient as possible for him then he seems to be enjoying his time here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 09:49

Hound
Stranded

tbf not sure how impt the money is to him - He is one of the richest footballers in Britain I believe. So great he still has the hunger to play. If we can just work with him and make things as convenient as possible for him then he seems to be enjoying his time here.

Yep convenience is definitely a major factor and one of the reasons he was still available - helps that Scott Dann is one of his best mates by all account too.

We definitely are in pole position (if we can afford it) for him to stay for either 6 to 18 months given he can commute easily, not disrupt his family and enjoy his football - he certainly seems to be doing the latter. He could easily become a cult hero, very very quickly.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2021 10:05

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

Yep convenience is definitely a major factor and one of the reasons he was still available - helps that Scott Dann is one of his best mates by all account too.

We definitely are in pole position (if we can afford it) for him to stay for either 6 to 18 months given he can commute easily, not disrupt his family and enjoy his football - he certainly seems to be doing the latter. He could easily become a cult hero, very very quickly.

Yeah, I suppose if he is happy here that would mean a lot. Would he be that interested in challenging for the title? If a team like West Brom came I for him say?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Nov 2021 10:08

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Hound

Yeah, I suppose if he is happy here that would mean a lot. Would he be that interested in challenging for the title? If a team like West Brom came I for him say?

No.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2021 10:15

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Hound

He's made it clear he doesn't want to either a) move his family or b) spend more time than necessary away from them - he's stated turned down offers that didn't meet either of those factors. He also just wants to play.

So if he does go anywhere it will likely need to be to a PL or Champ club that he can easily get to from his Essex home - which realistically is just London/South East clubs.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 29 Nov 2021 10:17

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Stranded

No.

What about if he stays fit til Jan, scores 5 more goals + 3 more assists and Newcastle come in for him and offer him >8.5k a week.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2021 10:17

Stranded
Hound
Stranded

Could be a master stroke. It's the sort of goal you see every week and is taken for granted in the Premier League, but the first touch, the composure to get it onto his left and the finish were all a cut above what you often see at this level. So much more to him than being a head on a stick to aim at.

Drinkwater's finish was also one you'd see plenty of Championship midfielders snatch at or blaze over the bar