BFTG Hull (H)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Hull (H)

by Millsy » 06 Dec 2021 00:09

CountryRoyal
Zip Southwood was due a costly mistake. It happens. He will bounce back against WBA. He has been excellent to date.

Exactly, he’s young and it’s the first mistake that has directly cost us a goal. No complaints at all really, all players make mistakes, it happens.

Agreed.

It must've been mentioned above and I missed it, but he took one hell of a nasty bash smashing into the post earlier, might've had something to do with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Dec 2021 08:59

Millsy
CountryRoyal
Zip Southwood was due a costly mistake. It happens. He will bounce back against WBA. He has been excellent to date.

Exactly, he’s young and it’s the first mistake that has directly cost us a goal. No complaints at all really, all players make mistakes, it happens.

Agreed.

It must've been mentioned above and I missed it, but he took one hell of a nasty bash smashing into the post earlier, might've had something to do with it.

really minor in the grand scheme, and being as we scored in the second min of injury time - but the warning signs were there when the ref gave 1 min of injury time in the first half - yet southwood must have been treated for something like 3-4 mins by itself

Not worried about him - as said, one mistake. Overall his general play has been excellent. It was a poor mistake but I guess only because keepers normally make that kind of thing look easy. It was hit reasonably hard and he was back peddling

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Dec 2021 10:38

Hound
Millsy
CountryRoyal

Agreed.

really minor in the grand scheme, and being as we scored in the second min of injury time - but the warning signs were there when the ref gave 1 min of injury time in the first half - yet southwood must have been treated for something like 3-4 mins by itself

Not worried about him - as said, one mistake. Overall his general play has been excellent. It was a poor mistake but I guess only because keepers normally make that kind of thing look easy. It was hit reasonably hard and he was back peddling

It was a bad mistake and he was 'set' in position as ball was struck. Not sure the head bang (which itself came from a shaky moment) could be blamed as he hadn't looked at his best even before that. Probably his worst game since he's come into the team but as Gooding said, every single professional goalkeeper has made bad mistakes in their career. Reality is every single keeper (and indeed player) at any level has bad games and makes mistakes at some point. He'll put it behind him and come back strong.

What I liked was that rather than having a go and/or stand their looking daggers, as I've seen far too many players do to keepers in that situation, Scott Dann went straight up to him, shook his hand and gave him words of encouragement.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Dec 2021 11:51

Yeah it takes a serious pro to go over and do that. Dann clearly understands that any other player could make 1 or 2 of those a game except a keeper.
Its how you recover and learn from those mistakes which make you a better player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2021 19:47

Yeah, fair play to Dann. And good on Southwood for immediately (and literally) hold his hand up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Dec 2021 20:07

I hope it doesn't play with his head like it did Rafael. I think it was against a Coventry game last season he fumbled an easy long shot and we didn't think much of it but then he let in a bunch of long shots and made some general howlers IIRC and our form plummetted. Let's hope Dann et al can give him the encouragement he needs now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2021 13:48

Did Southwood look “uncomfortable” with anything he had to do in the remainder of the game? Presumably any keeper knows when they cock up that the outcome more than likely is a goal for the opposition so you would think most keepers would develop a positive outlook to things rather quickly. It’ll only be an issue if he drops another clanger in a short space of time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Dec 2021 17:43

Sutekh Did Southwood look “uncomfortable” with anything he had to do in the remainder of the game?

Not to my knowledge. He looked his usual self for the rest of the game as far as I noticed anyway. Perhaps that immediate chat with Dann as mentioned above was a factor.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Dec 2021 19:21

Millsy
Sutekh Did Southwood look “uncomfortable” with anything he had to do in the remainder of the game?

Not to my knowledge. He looked his usual self for the rest of the game as far as I noticed anyway. Perhaps that immediate chat with Dann as mentioned above was a factor.

First ball back to him that I noticed, he absolutely wellied it down the pitch, no passing from the back there. After that though, definitely business as normal.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Dec 2021 19:53

Sutekh Did Southwood look “uncomfortable” with anything he had to do in the remainder of the game? Presumably any keeper knows when they cock up that the outcome more than likely is a goal for the opposition so you would think most keepers would develop a positive outlook to things rather quickly. It’ll only be an issue if he drops another clanger in a short space of time.

He seemed fine but after they scored they didn’t push forward that much so he wasn’t really tested. However he strikes me as a confident lad. I reckon he will have a blinder v WBA

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 07 Dec 2021 21:02

Millsy

I still reckon he did well to get anything on it given the "deflection".
If he's thinking the same way, then he'll have no problems.