MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

438 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jan 2022 15:47

Dixie Norm But thats part of the the issue. We were losing 2-0 last night and at no point did it look like we were ever getting back into the game

That's because no one on the pitch knew what to do. It was no doubt our 26th different team in 26 games and no one knows where to run, who to pass to, when to get into the box. The system on the pitch wasn't working and clearly wasn't going to start working - they rely on the manager changing things and them having the confidence that those changes are going to work.

Think of soldiers on a battlefield, stuck behind some cover whilst the enemy is firing. Is their lack of movement because they're lazy/don't care? No, it's because there's no credible leadership showing them what they have to do to get out of danger. No belief that if they come out firing themselves that it will achieve anything. In in those situations the safest thing is to just carry on with what you're doing.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2022 16:07

Elm Park Kid
Dixie Norm But thats part of the the issue. We were losing 2-0 last night and at no point did it look like we were ever getting back into the game

That's because no one on the pitch knew what to do. It was no doubt our 26th different team in 26 games and no one knows where to run, who to pass to, when to get into the box. The system on the pitch wasn't working and clearly wasn't going to start working - they rely on the manager changing things and them having the confidence that those changes are going to work.

Think of soldiers on a battlefield, stuck behind some cover whilst the enemy is firing. Is their lack of movement because they're lazy/don't care? No, it's because there's no credible leadership showing them what they have to do to get out of danger. No belief that if they come out firing themselves that it will achieve anything. In in those situations the safest thing is to just carry on with what you're doing.

The soldier doesn't wait until a grenade hits them though. If there is silence from your leader, anyone worth their salt would put themselves in a better position.

The enthusiasm has gone. Its not the love of the game. Its the same with any job. You could absolutely love it, enjoy what you do, colleagues are great, great pay, decent perks. All it takes is one guy you work with to upset the apple cart / for the company to bring in a new process and it sucks the joy out of what you do. You see that out on the pitch its a reflection on how much you believe in the system and then you see a small reaction when we went 2 up top.

I mentioned in another thread that the pass pass pass then back to the keeper routine is more than often what happens, the players already know its going back to keeper so why would they be sprinting around the pitch trying to find space - which isn't there because its been 15 seconds of passing along the back 5 and the oppo are set up in their shape.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Jan 2022 16:09

We're doomed aren't we?

As a statistical aside, historians may already have noticed that we were relegated in both our 50- and 100-year anniversary seasons, so we'll be continuing the pattern if we fall through the trapdoor to League One this time at 150 years. We were also relegated the year that we left Elm Park, of course.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2022 16:11

Sanguine We're doomed aren't we?

As a statistical aside, historians may already have noticed that we were relegated in both our 50- and 100-year anniversary seasons, so we'll be continuing the pattern if we fall through the trapdoor to League One this time at 150 years. We were also relegated the year that we left Elm Park, of course.

Thanks for that, we are depressed enough as it is Sangers. :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Jan 2022 16:15

One of the highlights for me last night was the utter bewilderment on Drinkwater's face when he was handed a note by Clarke i think it was. Scratch of the head, a gesture to Laurent, who then read the note and then carry on as you were.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 16:21

I don't think there's an issue with the players not caring. I think there's an issue with having lost hope and giving up quickly.

Even Drinkwater is putting effort into the game. Its just very poorly focused.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Jan 2022 16:24

I really wouldn't like to see Warnock, Pulis etc...at the club, and as mentioned earlier, they need players to get out of trouble and that's a luxury we cannot provide!
For me, i would love to see Brian McD on a short term contract, yes the club has changed and yes, there are no remaining backroom staff or hierarchy whom he knows. But i can guarantee he still keeps an eye on the club and the goings on, and he's openly admitted he would love to help us out.
Steer us to safety, become an even bigger legend and take on the role of D.O.F.

The only small issue, for the life of me i cannot remember his preferred playing formation? i think he liked his 4-4-2 with wide men, which could be an issue with our current crop of players.
But the two up top would suit the likes of Puscas!!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jan 2022 16:30

Snowflake Royal I don't think there's an issue with the players not caring. I think there's an issue with having lost hope and giving up quickly.

Even Drinkwater is putting effort into the game. Its just very poorly focused.

I don't think it's a case of "giving up" in a traditional sense, I think it's a case of a subconscious lack of confidence which I know you have referred to when you say lost hope.

As has been said, it is just about efforts being centered in areas that just aren't working at the moment which will come in part down to how we are playing. I don't think anybody intentionally gives up, but most of our players are also experienced enough to "know" when things aren't going right. I don't think they ever step onto a pitch and think to themselves "I'm not giving 100% here", quite the opposite, but thinking it and doing it are different things.

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 20 Jan 2022 16:34

Crowbar6753 I really wouldn't like to see Warnock, Pulis etc...at the club, and as mentioned earlier, they need players to get out of trouble and that's a luxury we cannot provide!
For me, i would love to see Brian McD on a short term contract, yes the club has changed and yes, there are no remaining backroom staff or hierarchy whom he knows. But i can guarantee he still keeps an eye on the club and the goings on, and he's openly admitted he would love to help us out.
Steer us to safety, become an even bigger legend and take on the role of D.O.F.

The only small issue, for the life of me i cannot remember his preferred playing formation? i think he liked his 4-4-2 with wide men, which could be an issue with our current crop of players.
But the two up top would suit the likes of Puscas!!

And he'd also have the fans on his side from the off. I can imagine the reception he'd / the team would receive after his appointment would be worth a few goals. He's not one for the long term but I think he's a much better option than Pauno
Last edited by Dixie Norm on 20 Jan 2022 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2022 16:35

Are you sure the first two are correct? I think we were in Southern 1 either side of our 50th anniversary and I thought we were relegated at the end of 1970-71, so the end of the season before our 100th Anniversary date of 25th December 1971.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2022 16:51

RoyalBlue

Are you sure the first two are correct? I think we were in Southern 1 either side of our 50th anniversary and I thought we were relegated at the end of 1970-71, so the end of the season before our 100th Anniversary date of 25th December 1971.

Yep, all untrue, the closest to being true was that we were relegated on our 99th year, not 100th.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jan 2022 17:07

Dirk Gently
URZZZZZZZZ Come on, you don’t actually expect me to come onto this forum and read it do you?……… thank you!

That is a torrid figure and is reflective of the club not investing in any form of marketing resource (amongst everything else). Jackie Evans has a lot to answer for, she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

So how exactly would you markey RFC at the moment? "Come and watch the public execution", or as a clown show?

The football is clearly making things difficult at the moment, but there has been no evident push to try and drive attendances for years now. If there had been any sort of thought out marketing strategy towards the start of this season the club would never be getting sub 10k crowds - it’s unheard of in the Madejski era. Look at the attendances in 2017/18 when we had an equally poor season, you would consistently see 15k plus attendances, I can’t recall getting anywhere near that this term.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 17:12

Happily replace Sweet Caroline with Entry of the Gladiators

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 17:13

Snowflake Royal Happily replace Sweet Caroline with Entry of the Gladiators

They'll fcuk it up and end up using the theme tune to the 90's TV show Gladiators.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2022 17:14

URZZZZZZZZ
Dirk Gently
URZZZZZZZZ Come on, you don’t actually expect me to come onto this forum and read it do you?……… thank you!

That is a torrid figure and is reflective of the club not investing in any form of marketing resource (amongst everything else). Jackie Evans has a lot to answer for, she doesn’t know what she’s doing.

So how exactly would you markey RFC at the moment? "Come and watch the public execution", or as a clown show?

The football is clearly making things difficult at the moment, but there has been no evident push to try and drive attendances for years now. If there had been any sort of thought out marketing strategy towards the start of this season the club would never be getting sub 10k crowds - it’s unheard of in the Madejski era. Look at the attendances in 2017/18 when we had an equally poor season, you would consistently see 15k plus attendances, I can’t recall getting anywhere near that this term.

Attendances were pretty good that season, looking back on it. Although there were 2 very, very bad ones in a row:

v Sheff Utd 27/02 - 6,769
v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2022 17:14

NathStPaul

They'll make it amazing and end up using the theme tune to the 90's TV show Gladiators.

Corrected.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 20 Jan 2022 17:39

Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ
Dirk Gently

Attendances were pretty good that season, looking back on it. Although there were 2 very, very bad ones in a row:

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

The Sheff Utd "crowd" was incorrectly reported by RFC. and I believe the same happened for Bolton.
A club should (must) report an attendance which INCLUDES ST holders, whether they attend or not. RFC later confirmed that the Sheff Utd crowd reported was those that attended that night...and did not include the ST holders that didn't attend.
Not a big deal, but if we currently have circa 7,000 ST holders then by default, every reported attendance will be a minimum of 7,000.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 17:50

Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ
Dirk Gently

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Yep went to both. The Sheffield United game was incredibly cold about -8c. My windscreen was frozen with my window screen water on the way to the game.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 17:52

Benny hill theme song more appropriate for this circus.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2022 18:05

CountryRoyal

Benny hill theme song more appropriate for this circus.

Oh I don't know. I quite like the big bombastic build up to kick off followed by images of clown cars after the whistle goes.

438 posts