New Captain

Who do you want as the New Reading Captain?

Poll ended at 05 Feb 2022 19:54
Yiadom
4%
McIntyre
24%
Laurent
22%
Holmes
2%
Morrison
22%
Rinomhota
13%
Swift
2%
Ian Royal
7%
Other
2%

Total votes: 45
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

New Captain

by Orion1871 » 16 Jan 2022 19:54

Very difficult to choose given all but two of these options (TMac and of course, Ian) are out of contract in the Summer.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Captain

by Brogue » 16 Jan 2022 19:55

Has to be tmac for that very reason.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jan 2022 20:14

Southwood

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2022 20:18

Yiadom and/or Morrison are the obvious choices

…but we need a Captain actually fit enough to stay on the pitch

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2022 20:26

Not sure it matters a huge amount tbh.

But it’ll prob be Laurent til end of season I reckon

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jan 2022 20:51

Laurent until the end of this season.

TMac is a long term possibility but he has to stay fit as he spends most of the time out injured.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Jan 2022 21:36

Laurent for me too.

McIntyre too injury prone. Southwood and Holmes too error prone

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 22:11

It's tricky.

McIntyre is young and never fit.
Morrison isn’t fit and is at the end of his career.
Swift's form has plummeted and we all know he won't be here next season. Let's not give him more to worry about.
Yiadom isn't the calmest.
Dann is new and probably not hanging around (hopefully) and not fit
Laurent is probably leaving
Holmes is too young and needs to focus on his own game.
I feel like Rinomhota might be too quiet, great worker, not sure he's a leader.

I'd try and entice Laurent to stay by offering it to him with a new contract. Failing that, it's McIntyre for me.

If Morro had been having a good season and was fit, it would be him without a doubt.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Jan 2022 22:12

Some of you want Laurent, who will 100% be leaving this summer, to be the captain of the club. Laughable. The new captain has to have a vested interest in the club and its future, Josh Laurent doesn't care if we stay up or go down as it isn't his problem.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Jan 2022 22:22

NathStPaul Some of you want Laurent, who will 100% be leaving this summer, to be the captain of the club. Laughable. The new captain has to have a vested interest in the club and its future, Josh Laurent doesn't care if we stay up or go down as it isn't his problem.

How do you know he doesn’t care?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 22:23

NathStPaul Some of you want Laurent who will 100% be leaving this summer to be the captain of the club. Laughable.

So which one of:

Southwood - first season
McIntyre - not fit
Joao - sulky
Meite - not fit
Moore - just been stripped of it
Tetek - only playing as an emergency
Puscas - not playing and trying to shift him

Who are contracted beyond this season would you pick :?:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 16 Jan 2022 22:23

NathStPaul Some of you want Laurent, who will 100% be leaving this summer, to be the captain of the club. Laughable. The new captain has to have a vested interest in the club and its future, Josh Laurent doesn't care if we stay up or go down as it isn't his problem.

Instead of bitching at others for who they choose lose the attitude and say who you want as the new Captain.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Jan 2022 22:33

Zip

When he signs a new deal for £8.5k a week I'll believe he cares. He gets a free pass from our supporters, hasn't been anywhere near the level he was last season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 Jan 2022 22:36

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul Some of you want Laurent who will 100% be leaving this summer to be the captain of the club. Laughable.

So which one of:

Southwood - first season
McIntyre - not fit
Joao - sulky
Meite - not fit

I would give it to McIntyre. This is the club captain role, the player chosen doesn't necessarily have to be playing week in and week out. As a figurehead and as someone who can communicate and curry favour with supporters McIntyre is the only choice for me.

As for on the field if McIntyre isn't playing I would give it to Morrison. Would rule out him staying next season provided he can stay fit.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Jan 2022 08:11

NathStPaul
Zip

When he signs a new deal for £8.5k a week I'll believe he cares. He gets a free pass from our supporters, hasn't been anywhere near the level he was last season.

So unless he signs a new deal he doesn’t care? If Carroll doesn’t sign a new deal he presumably didn’t care either.....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Jan 2022 08:15

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal

So which one of:

Southwood - first season
McIntyre - not fit
Joao - sulky
Meite - not fit

I would give it to McIntyre. This is the club captain role, the player chosen doesn't necessarily have to be playing week in and week out. As a figurehead and as someone who can communicate and curry favour with supporters McIntyre is the only choice for me.

As for on the field if McIntyre isn't playing I would give it to Morrison. Would rule out him staying next season provided he can stay fit.

So you give the captaincy to someone who misses on average around two thirds of the season through injury. If (and it’s a very big); Morrison is here next season I would probably give the captaincy to him. However in the here and now Laurent is one of the few players who is a guaranteed starter and manages to stay fit. So he gets the captaincy until the end of this season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 08:26

Zip
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal So which one of:

Southwood - first season
McIntyre - not fit
Joao - sulky
Meite - not fit

So you give the captaincy to someone who misses on average around two thirds of the season through injury. If (and it’s a very big); Morrison is here next season I would probably give the captaincy to him. However in the here and now Laurent is one of the few players who is a guaranteed starter and manages to stay fit. So he gets the captaincy until the end of this season.

Please read what I said again. The club captain of West Ham is Mark Noble, does he play every week? No. The club captaincy is about having a figurehead who resonates with the supporters and acts as an abassador for the club more than anything. Someone to act as a link between player and manager and ideally someone local and homegrown. McIntyre has had injury issues that are well documented but that doesn't prevent him from being a club captain imo. We will also have to rely on a lot of youth players next season, what better example to them than Tom McIntyre? He knows what they will be going through and the pressures they are under, would be a great mentor for them.

Think about it from the owners point of view, what better good news story would there be than to install a local lad who clearly loves the club? It would settle the supporters down and take the heat off of the ownership, at least in the short term.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 17 Jan 2022 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 08:29

Zip
NathStPaul
Zip

So unless he signs a new deal he doesn’t care? If Carroll doesn’t sign a new deal he presumably didn’t care either.....

Signing a new deal would indicate care to me, yes. Neither player you have mentioned have any realy affinity with the club and are rightly in it for themselves, that is the modern way.

I would have thought the club will offer Laurent a new deal, lets see if he signs it. I would guess not.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Jan 2022 08:47

NathStPaul
Zip
NathStPaul I would give it to McIntyre. This is the club captain role, the player chosen doesn't necessarily have to be playing week in and week out. As a figurehead and as someone who can communicate and curry favour with supporters McIntyre is the only choice for me.

Please read what I said again. The club captain of West Ham is Mark Noble, does he play every week? No. The club captaincy is about having a figurehead who resonates with the supporters and acts as an abassador for the club more than anything. Someone to act as a link between player and manager and ideally someone local and homegrown. McIntyre has had injury issues that are well documented but that doesn't prevent him from being a club captain imo. We will also have to rely on a lot of youth players next season, what better example to them than Tom McIntyre? He knows what they will be going through and the pressures they are under, would be a great mentor for them.

Think about it from the owners point of view, what better good news story would there be than to install a local lad who clearly loves the club? It would settle the supporters down and take the heat off of the ownership, at least in the short term.

I did read what you said. You cannot compare Noble with McIntyre. Noble has captained West Ham for seven years and has played regularly for them until the past year. It’s completely different to McIntyre who has struggled to stay fit for more than a couple of months each season. I like TMac and would like to see him as a future captain but only when he has proven he can stay fit.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Jan 2022 08:53

Zip
NathStPaul
Zip

I did read what you said. You cannot compare Noble with McIntyre. Noble has captained West Ham for seven years and has played regularly for them until the past year. It’s completely different to McIntyre who has struggled to stay fit for more than a couple of months each season. I like TMac and would like to see him as a future captain but only when he has proven he can stay fit.

It is certainly a really interesting situation. Part of my leaning towards McIntyre is what I think the club will do in order to get the supporters back on side, can just see them looking for some good press. Who knows what the summer will bring? For all we know we could get an experienced play in who has captained sides for years. Certainly need a few of those sorts of characters.