Re: Next Reading Manager

by Royal Rother » 16 May 2022 23:03

Levelwhelmed.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 May 2022 23:26

From Despair To Where? Underwhelming but makes a lot more sense than most of our recent managerial appointments. Safe apppointment IMO. Not sure Ince is any better or any worse than anyone of the other suggested names in the circumstances. At least Ince knows the full picture and is going in with his eyes open. More impressed with Bowen coming back. He talked a lot of sense when he came in as a consultant/DoF previously. I think he'll work well with Ince, they both seem to have a clear vision and are singing off the same hymn sheet.

I just hope that with the reappointment of Bowen and some of the things Ince has said recently regarding club structure, it heralds a genuine change of tack in the boardroom

Good post, agree with this

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 May 2022 23:27

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
genome Gone by Christmas

Thanks Nostradamus, no point in us turning up then.

Nobody will be turning up now that Ince is our permanent manager. Season ticket sales will go through the floor.

:mrgreen:

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 May 2022 07:56

SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul
windermereROYAL

Nobody will be turning up now that Ince is our permanent manager. Season ticket sales will go through the floor.

:mrgreen:

Ignore him. He knows nothing.

He predicted there will be no lockdown, trump would win and Ince wouldn't be full time

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 May 2022 08:23

Happy enough with this. Was bought in with a clear goal, which he achieved and deserves a shot based on that. Also got the best out of a player who was constantly stinking up the place, which shows his man-management skills. Certainly got the team fighting more as well, in years gone by (not just under Pauno), we'd never have got the winner v Sheff Utd and when Swansea made it 1-4, we'd probably have gone on to concede a couple more.

If just being him helps keeps players like Laurent or attracts similar type players, I am all for it.

Knows the set-up, knows the limitations, knows the issues, so he must've been happy with everything, otherwise he would've just walked away. Think he'll work well with Bowen as DOF.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 May 2022 08:44

Hendo Happy enough with this. Was bought in with a clear goal, which he achieved and deserves a shot based on that. Also got the best out of a player who was constantly stinking up the place, which shows his man-management skills. Certainly got the team fighting more as well, in years gone by (not just under Pauno), we'd never have got the winner v Sheff Utd and when Swansea made it 1-4, we'd probably have gone on to concede a couple more.

If just being him helps keeps players like Laurent or attracts similar type players, I am all for it.

Knows the set-up, knows the limitations, knows the issues, so he must've been happy with everything, otherwise he would've just walked away. Think he'll work well with Bowen as DOF.

Pretty much my exact thoughts, so rather than re-write them..........

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 17 May 2022 08:55

No problem with Ince, but he's taken on a monumental job, and history doesn't suggest he'll last more than several months. At least we'll get Jnr now though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 May 2022 09:07

PATRIQT No problem with Ince, but he's taken on a monumental job, and history doesn't suggest he'll last more than several months. At least we'll get Jnr now though.

Hot take: based on his form for us so far, Tom Ince shouldn’t be starting ahead of Meite, Ejaria, and Hoilett.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 May 2022 09:08

Hendo Happy enough with this. Was bought in with a clear goal, which he achieved and deserves a shot based on that. Also got the best out of a player who was constantly stinking up the place, which shows his man-management skills. Certainly got the team fighting more as well, in years gone by (not just under Pauno), we'd never have got the winner v Sheff Utd and when Swansea made it 1-4, we'd probably have gone on to concede a couple more.

Yep agreed - I was very disappointed by the end of season but you can make some mitigations to it if you look - injuries returning and just the weight of effort to put together the run that got us safe taking it's toll once the pressure was released.

When it mattered, he got the mentality right in a group of players who frankly had none to get the points we needed on the board - I'm certainly not overlooking the bad but it is fair to say that when it mattered he got a decent tune out of the team - I am intrigued to see what he could do with a squad he has built and had a pre-season with. I'm probably just a sucker for punishment mind.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 May 2022 09:19

Stranded

Yep agreed - I was very disappointed by the end of season but you can make some mitigations to it if you look - injuries returning and just the weight of effort to put together the run that got us safe taking it's toll once the pressure was released.

When it mattered, he got the mentality right in a group of players who frankly had none to get the points we needed on the board - I'm certainly not overlooking the bad but it is fair to say that when it mattered he got a decent tune out of the team - I am intrigued to see what he could do with a squad he has built and had a pre-season with. I'm probably just a sucker for punishment mind.

+1, I think having the pressure off and realising the job was done had a lot to do with the end of season form.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 May 2022 09:20

Hmm. I can’t help but think Bowen will be back in charge before the end of next season trying to keep us up

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 May 2022 09:44

SCIAG
PATRIQT No problem with Ince, but he's taken on a monumental job, and history doesn't suggest he'll last more than several months. At least we'll get Jnr now though.

Hot take: based on his form for us so far, Tom Ince shouldn’t be starting ahead of Meite, Ejaria, and Hoilett.

He’s been way better than Meite over the comparable period.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 May 2022 09:51

Meh.

Deserves a chance. Tom is a useful addition to squad and certainly plays his heart out for his dad.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 17 May 2022 09:58

leon Hmm. I can’t help but think Bowen will be back in charge before the end of next season trying to keep us up

Hope not or we will be relegated

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 17 May 2022 10:19

Nameless
SCIAG

Meite has spent 90% of this season injured in fairness. I think if you asked me if I'd rather have Ince or Meite, I'd probably rather have Meite. Ince has been good since he was with us though, there's advantages and disadvantages to both though.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 May 2022 10:29

Nameless
SCIAG

Meite did nothing when he came back from his long injury, probably understandably, to suggest he was better than Tom Ince is absurd.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 May 2022 10:54

I guess Ince is the compromise between the owners desire to keep everything within their network and actually having someone that understands the league and has reasonable experience. The whole 'no scouts' thing and being so reliant on the super agents is worrying, but then our problem has been a lack of stability and long-term planning rather than necessarily poor recruitment (I don't think the club's hiring policy has been much worse than average for the league).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2022 12:30

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
genome Gone by Christmas

Can you let you're other personality drive the body again please. :cry:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 May 2022 12:37

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
windermereROYAL

Can you let you're other personality drive the body again please. :cry:

Why am I not allowed to dislike Ince being appointed? If you look at any of the polls that are running through local journos on social media you'll see a pretty negative response across the board. Not sure why I have to like Ince being in charge? I'm not arguing with anyone who wants him either so not sure what the issue is really. I'm not arguing he didn't keep us up, he did a good job on that front. The last few games were painful though, I see more of that on the horizon.

Season ticket renewals will be interesting. I think they'll be down but it won't all be because of Ince. I think last season a lot more supporters would have renewed given our league position in 2020/21. Recruitment will be key, a couple of big names through the door and the positivity will return no doubt.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 May 2022 12:39

Sorry Nath them's the rules.

Like Ince or we're going to have to ask you leave.

Thanks.

969 posts