Next Reading Manager

969 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 19:19

I feel Millsy's comedy must work on a much higher level than we can all understand.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 May 2022 20:09

Oi!

Stop being bumfaces.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 May 2022 02:17

When Bowen took over from Gomes, he took us from 23 to 14. I would give a kidney for the dizzy heights of 14th.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 12 May 2022 05:55

Parkys wrexham in 2nd now. Not good enough for that squad and a failure. Not somebody we want as manager for us next season as he cannot cut it at our level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 08:16

Jackson Corner When Bowen took over from Gomes, he took us from 23 to 14. I would give a kidney for the dizzy heights of 14th.

Only manager in ages to deliver significant positive improvement mid-season.

But for the Covid break and Joao injury, I think he'd have had us top half, similar trajectory to McDermott without those two factors.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 08:28

Snowflake Royal
Jackson Corner When Bowen took over from Gomes, he took us from 23 to 14. I would give a kidney for the dizzy heights of 14th.

But for the Covid break and Joao injury, I think he'd have had us top half, similar trajectory to McDermott without those two factors.

Actually had a bit of a long shot at the play offs after the break. But for that last min Stoke equaliser we’d have been in the mix

Joao getting injured in that game was very significant

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 08:48

Snowflake Royal

Calling it mid-season is a bit of a stretch, but don't disagree with the improvement but he did have time on his side in fairness.

I wouldn't want him back in the manager's role though, unless it was temporary again.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 12 May 2022 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

under the tin

by under the tin » 12 May 2022 09:22

My two pennorth
The coming few years are a time for the club to take stock, and truly learn from the reckless profligacy that got it into this mess.
The "proven manager" route automatically entails the incomer expecting a transfer budget, which might be impossible to provide, and is paradoxically also the starting point of the club getting to where it finds itself now.
The financial constraints the club will have to be working under will necessitate utilising and developing the younger players already engaged there.
I can think of no better mentor to show younger players how to conduct themselves both professionally on the pitch, and in their personal lives than a fella who's just got his Pro licence.
His name is Brynjar Gunnarsson.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 May 2022 09:46

under the tin My two pennorth
The coming few years are a time for the club to take stock, and truly learn from the reckless profligacy that got it into this mess.
The "proven manager" route automatically entails the incomer expecting a transfer budget, which might be impossible to provide, and is paradoxically also the starting point of the club getting to where it finds itself now.
The financial constraints the club will have to be working under will necessitate utilising and developing the younger players already engaged there.
I can think of no better mentor to show younger players how to conduct themselves both professionally on the pitch, and in their personal lives than a fella who's just got his Pro licence.

I`m all for nostalgic appointments, but after 15 years do you believe there is anyone still at the club that knows who he is?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 09:54

It's not actually something I'd be against, but I just don't think now is the right time for someone with no experience to come in and do this job. I'd like him to get some decent coaching hours under his belt somewhere first before jumping into this job.

I'm in favour of a relatively new face to come in though and hopefully offer up some fresh ideas. I think he's just a bit "too new" for me at this time.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 May 2022 10:03

windermereROYAL

I`m all for nostalgic appointments, but after 15 years do you believe there is anyone still at the club that knows who he is?

15 years?!

I'd hope at least Noel Hunt remembers him

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 May 2022 10:27

If he had never played for Reading, we wouldn't even be looking twice at him. Actually, if he hadn't played for Reading and we appointed someone like him, there would be quite the meLOLtdown.

It is the same energy as people saying: "Yes, we would appoint someone with Championship experience, but knowing our owner, he'll appoint someone from the Moldovan 2nd division"

If Bryn wins something in Iceland and then gets a move to a decent level of football on the continent or in England, L2 for example, then yeah, I'd probably take a look at him - but right now. Absolutely not.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 10:29

For me you simply cannot bypass Warburton and Mowbray, well no sensible owner could at least. You have to at least speak to them and see what they have to offer, they will both be keen to get back into the game you'd think so why not speak to them? What harm can it do? I fear the owner and whoever is in his ear have other ideas though.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 May 2022 10:42

On that note I had a fleeting chat with a couple of guys the other day who said we'd been talking to Mowbray. Quite surprised I tried to delve further but the opportunity passed and I didn't take it seriously anyway. I suspect they were hoping it's the case as he's leaving that's all. Only mentioning now because you bring him up Nath. Not even rumour worthy otherwise. I agree would be worth a chat.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 10:47

Millsy On that note I had a fleeting chat with a couple of guys the other day who said we'd been talking to Mowbray. Quite surprised I tried to delve further but the opportunity passed and I didn't take it seriously anyway. I suspect they were hoping it's the case as he's leaving that's all. Only mentioning now because you bring him up Nath. Not even rumour worthy otherwise. I agree would be worth a chat.

I know Mowbray is a pretty dull appointment but what is it we want to be as a club? Do we want to be a mid-level Championship club or in League 1 at the end of next season? Anything less than an experienced Championship manager will end up with us in League 1 imo.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 May 2022 10:58

Simon's Church
windermereROYAL

15 years?!

I'd hope at least Noel Hunt remembers him

Insert concussion joke.

Leigertwood is also still at the club, and people like Bryan Stabler might not have much input but would know who he was.

That being said I don’t think we should just randomly appoint an ex-player because they’re an ex-player.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 May 2022 11:12

NathStPaul
Millsy On that note I had a fleeting chat with a couple of guys the other day who said we'd been talking to Mowbray. Quite surprised I tried to delve further but the opportunity passed and I didn't take it seriously anyway. I suspect they were hoping it's the case as he's leaving that's all. Only mentioning now because you bring him up Nath. Not even rumour worthy otherwise. I agree would be worth a chat.

I know Mowbray is a pretty dull appointment but what is it we want to be as a club? Do we want to be a mid-level Championship club or in League 1 at the end of next season? Anything less than an experienced Championship manager will end up with us in League 1 imo.

Nothing wrong with us dull folk :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 May 2022 11:30

I would have no issue at all with us taking on Warburton - think in our current position it would be an excellent appointment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 11:47

Some noise about Warburton talking to Birmingham

I’d be keen to have him here. Took a club in a similar mess in QPR into a decent side

Mowbray would be of interest

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 12:52

Hendo

If he had never played for Reading, we wouldn't even be looking twice at him. Actually, if he hadn't played for Reading and we appointed someone like him, there would be quite the meLOLtdown.

It is the same energy as people saying: "Yes, we would appoint someone with Championship experience, but knowing our owner, he'll appoint someone from the Moldovan 2nd division"

If Bryn wins something in Iceland and then gets a move to a decent level of football on the continent or in England, L2 for example, then yeah, I'd probably take a look at him - but right now. Absolutely not.

This all day long.

969 posts