Next Reading Manager

969 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Reading Manager

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 May 2022 09:14

Royal_jimmy I predict Bowen as manager in September when we lose our first 8 games of the season under Ince

Lolz

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2022 10:11

YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan
tidus_mi2 Phil Parkinson has taken what I assume to be the largest budget team in the National League by quite a margin to 2nd place and a play-off semi-final defeat.

Hopefully that shuts up the few people, including a very racist individual clamouring for him to come here.

I wouldn’t want Parky as manager but to be fair to him the National League is really tough. I had underestimated it but having seen Chesterfield a few times this season there are some decent teams who get big support.

With only one automatic promotion place up for grabs it’s far from easy. Tbh it’s about time they had 3 up and 3 down, plus 4 teams playing for one playoff place. Chesterfield took over 2,500 fans to Halifax last Tuesday night and the tickets sold out in a few hours. It’s criminal that the playoff final is at West Ham it should be somewhere like Villa Park. All the playoff teams were midlands and above.

Easily, I'd even go and say 4 teams up and down (obviously would have to go for 3 first) between the divisions. Not enough clubs get enough of a chance at the FL I'd say who would probably make for a more interesting spectacle than some of the dross that have clogged the league up for years.

I follow Morecambe a little bit due to some history in our family. They regularly used to finish 20th (in and around) in League Two and the narrative seemed to be they'd only ever stay up because 1 promoted team would usually be worse and a couple of other clubs below them would be struggling financially. Me and my brother said that, if Morecambe were relegated from League Two, they wouldn't come back up just like some others haven't (Barnet, Dag & Red, Yeovil, Torquay) for a number of years. This was going back a couple of seasons now though, obviously before they were promoted to L1 ironically.

I'm not sure I agree with the first statement - in the past decade or so we've had a whole host of clubs getting their first go at the Football League: Harrogate, Sutton, Forest Green, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Yeovil, Salford - Barrow coming back after god knows how long. I've probably missed a few to boot.

The National League is now pretty much a graveyard for mismanaged EFL clubs - so all adding a promotion spot or two would do realistically is give clubs a lifeline who perhaps don't need it. Look at the top half of the NL:

Stockport
Wrexham
Halifax
Notts County
Chesterfield
Dagenham & Redbridge

Then you have Southend, Yeovil, Aldershot, Torquay all trying to find a way back.

I think 2 is enough as it does give promoted sides a chance to establish themselves with less fear of dropping straight back down. If you moved to 3 or 4 spots at the bottom then I you're looking at a churn of 7 or 8 clubs in L2 each year, which is just too much IMHO.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 10:29

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan
I wouldn’t want Parky as manager but to be fair to him the National League is really tough. I had underestimated it but having seen Chesterfield a few times this season there are some decent teams who get big support.

With only one automatic promotion place up for grabs it’s far from easy. Tbh it’s about time they had 3 up and 3 down, plus 4 teams playing for one playoff place. Chesterfield took over 2,500 fans to Halifax last Tuesday night and the tickets sold out in a few hours. It’s criminal that the playoff final is at West Ham it should be somewhere like Villa Park. All the playoff teams were midlands and above.

Easily, I'd even go and say 4 teams up and down (obviously would have to go for 3 first) between the divisions. Not enough clubs get enough of a chance at the FL I'd say who would probably make for a more interesting spectacle than some of the dross that have clogged the league up for years.

I follow Morecambe a little bit due to some history in our family. They regularly used to finish 20th (in and around) in League Two and the narrative seemed to be they'd only ever stay up because 1 promoted team would usually be worse and a couple of other clubs below them would be struggling financially. Me and my brother said that, if Morecambe were relegated from League Two, they wouldn't come back up just like some others haven't (Barnet, Dag & Red, Yeovil, Torquay) for a number of years. This was going back a couple of seasons now though, obviously before they were promoted to L1 ironically.

I'm not sure I agree with the first statement - in the past decade or so we've had a whole host of clubs getting their first go at the Football League: Harrogate, Sutton, Forest Green, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Yeovil, Salford - Barrow coming back after god knows how long. I've probably missed a few to boot.

The National League is now pretty much a graveyard for mismanaged EFL clubs - so all adding a promotion spot or two would do realistically is give clubs a lifeline who perhaps don't need it. Look at the top half of the NL:

Stockport
Wrexham
Halifax
Notts County
Chesterfield
Dagenham & Redbridge

Then you have Southend, Yeovil, Aldershot, Torquay all trying to find a way back.

I think 2 is enough as it does give promoted sides a chance to establish themselves with less fear of dropping straight back down. If you moved to 3 or 4 spots at the bottom then I you're looking at a churn of 7 or 8 clubs in L2 each year, which is just too much IMHO.

You've then also got to look at some of those clubs who haven't made it as well, where they otherwise would have done in a different league, such as League Two. Examples such as Boreham Wood, Solihull Moors (maybe this year), AFC Fylde, Bromley etc and a couple of those aren't in the National League no more. Your clubs such as Fleetwood, Salford and Forest Green got to their position due to an influx of money which would be the same for most sides, like Stockport and Wrexham who are competing near the top (with the former being promoted) with finances behind them.

I actually think another promotion spot would be important for those mismanaged EFL clubs, as it gives them a chance to get back up to League Two to improve their position financially rather than just falling through the system and potentially going bust, look at examples like Darlington and Halifax Town.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 May 2022 12:12

South Coast Royal
tidus_mi2 Phil Parkinson has taken what I assume to be the largest budget team in the National League by quite a margin to 2nd place and a play-off semi-final defeat.

Didn't the two biggest budget clubs come first and second?
A bit like The Championship?

And of course, the two most successful clubs came first and second. Wrexham also reached the FA Trophy final and had the highest home National league attendance, and LOL you still think Parkys a failure.

Vanarama National League table
# Team Average
1. Wrexham 8,114
2. Notts County 6,836
3. Stockport County 6,019
4. Grimsby Town 5,974

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 May 2022 12:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 May 2022 12:30

karbota
South Coast Royal

And of course, the two most successful clubs came first and second. Wrexham also reached the FA Trophy final and had the highest home National league attendance, and LOL you still think Parkys a failure.

# Team Average
1. Wrexham 8,114
2. Notts County 6,836
4. Grimsby Town 5,974

To be fair, yes, they should have got promoted this season. That within itself is a failure for the club.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 May 2022 12:33

Why are you talking to a racist?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 May 2022 13:37

I guess Manchester United had a successful season because they qualified for Europe and had the highest average attendance in the eague.

On Strings

by On Strings » 30 May 2022 16:13

karbota
South Coast Royal

# Team Average
1. Wrexham 8,114
2. Notts County 6,836
4. Grimsby Town 5,974

He's managing in non-league for a reason... HTH

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 May 2022 18:16

[quote="From Despair To Where?"]I guess Manchester United had a successful season because they qualified for Europe and had the highest average attendance in the eague.[/quote]

Agree but whats the eague? and LOL to your BLOCK.
Last edited by karbota on 30 May 2022 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 May 2022 18:24

YorkshireRoyal99
karbota
South Coast Royal

# Team Average
1. Wrexham 8,114
2. Notts County 6,836
4. Grimsby Town 5,974

To be fair, yes, they should have got promoted this season. That within itself is a failure for the club.

They finished 8th last season so???????????????????.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 30 May 2022 18:25

NathStPaul Why are you talking to a racist?

Link, please.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 May 2022 18:41

karbota
YorkshireRoyal99
karbota

# Team Average
1. Wrexham 8,114
2. Notts County 6,836
4. Grimsby Town 5,974

Yep with no money they finished 8th. Wrexham fans want him out. The style of football is awful and with the biggest budget on players and wages this season plus the biggest home and away support he has failed. If he can’t succeed in Non League football he is not remotely close to good enough to manage three divisions higher.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2022 08:24

Seriously, stop feeding the troll. Who gives a oxf*rd about Parky and Wrexham, we have a manager, there's no chance of us appointing Parkinson.

If you want to talk about Wrexham take it to GF.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 12:43

karbota

Link, please.

Hi Kes x

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Jun 2022 20:47

Pepe the Horseman
karbota

Link, please.

Hi Kes x

You cruel sadistic bastard so it was you that ran her over? our beloved cat Kes! she lost a leg and was also left with a shredded tail,
as a further insult, we had to change her name to Tripod.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2022 20:48

Perhaps we should stop letting a racist nobody of a troll turn us against someone who is a beloved club legend. It's not his fault he's loved by Kkkunt.

He's still a RFC legend, and we should support him in what he does. He's done alright. We love Parky for what he is, let's leave it at that and move on. Paul Ince's Barmy Army!

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Jun 2022 21:01

Zip
karbota
YorkshireRoyal99

Yep with no money they finished 8th. Wrexham fans want him out. The style of football is awful and with the biggest budget on players and wages this season plus the biggest home and away support he has failed. If he can’t succeed in Non League football he is not remotely close to good enough to manage three divisions higher.

Here we go again more fake news, just check the Wrexham fans forum the majority want him to stay.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrex ... parky.html

"Time makes the wounds heal and I have gone from deflation to being able to laugh at it which is progress! To me my enjoyment as a football fan isn't defined by what league we are in, we have had many dreadful years in league 2. This season has given me some amazing memories and ignited my passion which I felt was waning having moved away. Parky in"!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2022 21:17

He's not going to shag you.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Jun 2022 22:19

NathStPaul He's not going to shag you.

Just check the link and call out da Fakir.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrex ... parky.html

969 posts