1204 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ince out!

by Orion1871 » 12 Mar 2023 19:16

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz
The Cap Will this bloke ever shut up about referees? :evil:
Maybe when we win a few games, we have female referees, but (and please don't read too much into my comment here), since Uriah Rennie, have we seen any black or Asian referees on the professional match pitches? (genuine question)

Gurnam Singh was the one Indian ref I can remember

He was always pulling funny faces though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2023 19:18

2 out of 10 Orion…must try harder

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2023 19:41

Orion1871
Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz Maybe when we win a few games, we have female referees, but (and please don't read too much into my comment here), since Uriah Rennie, have we seen any black or Asian referees on the professional match pitches? (genuine question)

Gurnam Singh was the one Indian ref I can remember

He was always pulling funny faces though.

:lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2023 19:57

:roll: (reported etc etc)

The Cube

by The Cube » 12 Mar 2023 20:31

Had Gurnam Singh got the 1995 Division 1 play-off final (as the tribunal decision effectively said he should have done) then we might talk about him a lot more.

There is the Gill family of referees but as they're based in Slough you wouldn't really expect to see them officiating Reading league games (although one of the sons was a linesman earlier this season).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2023 08:18

Remember Singh just laughing with Reading fans as he walked past them before a game at Palace back in the 90s as a couple of fans were holding out cash toward him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Mar 2023 09:58

Elm Park Kid So, we bring in Murty. Maybe we start the season well with a bit of optimism. But he's an inexperienced manager and probably lacks the skills right now to know how to deal with any downturn in form/results. So, we hit a bad patch, start slipping down the table again, and all our fans that believe that a manager should be fired after 2 bad months will be calling for his head. And the cycle continues . . . . .

Surely you guys must be able to see the pattern here? Please explain to me why you think that Murty will be any different to Ince? Is it just a case of rolling the dice every season and hoping that we eventually find the right manager?

Tell me - what is the downside of just sticking with one manager, as long as we're not actually getting relegated, and giving them 2-3 seasons to develop a squad and playing style? Is it not possible that someone who *seems* as though they're not up to a job in the first seasons might find their feet and show us something different once they've had time to build the team they want? How is that any more of a gamble then bringing in a brand new person who has managed at our level before?

If we got Ince to wear a wig and fake glasses for the second season and called him 'Barry Ince' - would that make all you guys happy? Just to make you feel like we're 'taking action'.

Agreed with the gist of the argument but on the other hand, this isn’t a bad 2 months. We’ve accrued 23 points from the last 25. That’s relegation form. You mention developing a “style of play” but you can’t develop something that doesn’t exist. As well as that, Ince makes himself a bigger target through his actions:

- Not accepting any responsibility for these abject performances
- Constantly blaming tiredness and fixture congestion (his sub management has actually improved but before the WC, he was making 1/2 subs a game with plenty of options on the bench)
- Constantly blaming refs (if anything, on the whole I’d say they’ve been fairly lenient to us through the season)
- Behaving like a petulant child on the sidelines alongside Rae
- Taking pot shots at the supporters

Sure, the remit for Ince this season was purely a survival one. In all likelihood, mission accomplished. Morally, he deserves another shot next season but realistically it may just not be viable and the dwindling attendances may reflect that

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 10:33

I'm sure managers just say certain things to the media, just to answer questions. People say he doesn't accept responsibility for defeats, performances etc, I'm sure this all gets addressed behind closed doors, where it really matters. Fixture congestion, refereeing decisions just seem like "typical" answers for a manager, sometimes they have some truth, other times less so.

The one thing I've quite liked about Ince is that he hasn't hung players out to dry in the media this season, even though some performances may have deserved it. Ince is honest enough, but says the "right" things to the media.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 10:38

Elm Park Kid So, we bring in Murty. Maybe we start the season well with a bit of optimism. But he's an inexperienced manager and probably lacks the skills right now to know how to deal with any downturn in form/results. So, we hit a bad patch, start slipping down the table again, and all our fans that believe that a manager should be fired after 2 bad months will be calling for his head. And the cycle continues . . . . .

Surely you guys must be able to see the pattern here? Please explain to me why you think that Murty will be any different to Ince? Is it just a case of rolling the dice every season and hoping that we eventually find the right manager?

Tell me - what is the downside of just sticking with one manager, as long as we're not actually getting relegated, and giving them 2-3 seasons to develop a squad and playing style? Is it not possible that someone who *seems* as though they're not up to a job in the first seasons might find their feet and show us something different once they've had time to build the team they want? How is that any more of a gamble then bringing in a brand new person who has managed at our level before?

If we got Ince to wear a wig and fake glasses for the second season and called him 'Barry Ince' - would that make all you guys happy? Just to make you feel like we're 'taking action'.

It's not just about results.

It's about the manner in which we are performing on the pitch and whether the manager seems to be getting the best, or at least expected, levels of performance out of the majority of players.

I honestly can't say Ince is there with most of them. His son, Holmes one or two others. But loads are underperforming. And managerial decisions and play style seems poor.

Ince is doing, or rather briefly did, enough that we're not under much threat of relegation, but there's really no improvement or even sign of improvement on display. I'd say we're going backward. And then you look at his past, which is start well and fall apart, never last anywhere long.

I want to give Ince more time, but nothing at the end of last season convinced me he'd do very well and nothing this season tells me he's the man to take us forward.

I hate sacking managers every few months. But I'd 100% be looking for a replacement this summer. If there isn't a solid one on the horizon, fine I'll go with continuity. But Ince just isn't impressing.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Mar 2023 10:48

Snowflake Royal

It's about the manner in which we are performing on the pitch and whether the manager seems to be getting the best, or at least expected, levels of performance out of the majority of players.

I honestly can't say Ince is there with most of them. His son, Holmes one or two others. But loads are underperforming. And managerial decisions and play style seems poor.

Ince is doing, or rather briefly did, enough that we're not under much threat of relegation, but there's really no improvement or even sign of improvement on display. I'd say we're going backward. And then you look at his past, which is start well and fall apart, never last anywhere long.

I want to give Ince more time, but nothing at the end of last season convinced me he'd do very well and nothing this season tells me he's the man to take us forward.

I hate sacking managers every few months. But I'd 100% be looking for a replacement this summer. If there isn't a solid one on the horizon, fine I'll go with continuity. But Ince just isn't impressing.

Interesting, on my poll you were undecided. So you've now made up your mind since the Millwall game? you want him out in the summer?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 11:59

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

Interesting, on my poll you were undecided. So you've now made up your mind since the Millwall game? you want him out in the summer?

I think I voted pre Sheff U.

I wouldn't say I'd actively sack him, even in the summer. But I would be looking closely at who is available and putting out feelers for interest.

Sheff U made me no longer Ince In. And I think after Millwall, I'm beyond having any faith he'll do better, which is in conflict with my natural instinct to give managers a couple of full seasons and only pull the trigger early if there's a real risk of relegation.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 13 Mar 2023 12:35

Obviously the Murty love will always be there for us all but is it a challenge too far at this stage in his career
What if you throw McDermott into the mix with Murty for a support act

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Mar 2023 12:44

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Snowflake Royal It's not just about results.

I wouldn't say I'd actively sack him, even in the summer. But I would be looking closely at who is available and putting out feelers for interest.

Sheff U made me no longer Ince In. And I think after Millwall, I'm beyond having any faith he'll do better, which is in conflict with my natural instinct to give managers a couple of full seasons and only pull the trigger early if there's a real risk of relegation.

How come the Sheff United game was the turning point? Thought we were pretty good on the night and were unlucky to not come away with anything, just lacked quality but we applied ourselves well enough.

Saturday I can understand why it would turn people's heads because we were poor, albeit in a low quality game.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 13 Mar 2023 13:00

The Murty rumour is an interesting one, bring in a development coach to develop our academy players and maybe some other academies cast offs and sell for decent money and then reinvest in the team. It’s a pretty solid long term plan but also very risky and not sure our fans will have the patience for it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 13:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

How come the Sheff United game was the turning point? Thought we were pretty good on the night and were unlucky to not come away with anything, just lacked quality but we applied ourselves well enough.

Saturday I can understand why it would turn people's heads because we were poor, albeit in a low quality game.

Ince's subs were really bad, and Sat seems to have been really bad too.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2023 13:29

Snowflake Royal

Some suggestion that Reading might look to Anthony Barry as a contender for their next manager.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Mar 2023 14:22

My mate Gwen reckons Murty & Parkinson in as joint managers is something he has heard could be a goer

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 14:25

Winston Biscuit My mate Gwen reckons Murty & Parkinson in as joint managers is something he has heard could be a goer

Is he Karboot?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2023 15:59

Ouch! Hard to argue against much of this one:

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2023 16:17

Sutekh Ouch! Hard to argue against much of this one:

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/20 ... -fc-royals

Apart from being apparent immediately it's a one sided biased hatchet job from someone who was against Ince being in charge from day 1. With some unjustified and unsupported conjecture presented as fact.

1204 posts