Ince out!

1204 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince out!

by Royal Ginger » 16 Mar 2023 01:18

To what end?

We keep on cycling managers again and again and again and it’s not a lot of fun. I’m so bored of it. We’re not going to get anyone that’s going to fix it all so let’s at least keep hold of a bit of stability (and Tom Ince).

It’s a shit few years with at least another to come.

If he keeps us up, he’s done what he was supposed to. Still being in the championship after all of this crap is quite an achievement. There’s a lot of Reading adjacent teams in league 1.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 08:25

Royal Ginger To what end?

We keep on cycling managers again and again and again and it’s not a lot of fun. I’m so bored of it. We’re not going to get anyone that’s going to fix it all so let’s at least keep hold of a bit of stability (and Tom Ince).

It’s a shit few years with at least another to come.

If he keeps us up, he’s done what he was supposed to. Still being in the championship after all of this crap is quite an achievement. There’s a lot of Reading adjacent teams in league 1.

We’re getting worse. We’re getting a points deduction. We’re heading for Div 1.

I can’t think of many teams whose supporters would put up with these results.

Personally I think we’re fcuked. There are very few managers who’d look at Reading right now as a career move (apart from inexperienced or just plain shit)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:29

To be fair, we've been edged out in our last 3 games by teams who are all significantly better than us and in the play off places. Obviously we got a hiding at Boro, but if we can perform as we have in the last 2/3 games against some of the sides we've still got to play around us, then we will pick up enough points to survive even after a deduction.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 08:32

YorkshireRoyal99 To be fair, we've been edged out in our last 3 games by teams who are all significantly better than us and in the play off places. Obviously we got a hiding at Boro, but if we can perform as we have in the last 2/3 games against some of the sides we've still got to play around us, then we will pick up enough points to survive even after a deduction.

Yeah and the same was said at times during Bullivants reign of incompetence. We still went down.

It’s irrelevant the league table doesn’t care how close you are - our results are utterly dire.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:39

leon
YorkshireRoyal99 To be fair, we've been edged out in our last 3 games by teams who are all significantly better than us and in the play off places. Obviously we got a hiding at Boro, but if we can perform as we have in the last 2/3 games against some of the sides we've still got to play around us, then we will pick up enough points to survive even after a deduction.

Yeah and the same was said at times during Bullivants reign of incompetence. We still went down.

It’s irrelevant the league table doesn’t care how close you are - our results are utterly dire.

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree, but our results are poor against 4 of the best 6 sides in the league currently, most teams in our position would have poor results against those types of sides. We hardly got blown away in the last 3 either.

Looking at what fixtures we've got left, we've only got Burnley left who are in the top 6 and the rest we can definitely get points from, even the away fixtures.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:40

Vision
morganb We played better tonight but when we'd fought back to 1-1 surely that was when a good manager would bring on Liam Moore to shore up the defence and try to get a hard earned point. Recently Ince has been trying to preserve a point for 90 minutes, today it would have only been for 25. Comes across a little clueless

We can't have it both ways though. We criticise him for negativity (rightly in a lot of cases) so we can't very well complain when he makes like for like changes in a game which either side has had chances to win. And he showed some faith in the Academy players on the bench which hasn't always been the case.

No way to know for sure of course but if we'd played for a draw I'm not convinced we'd have held out but I am sure we definitely wouldn't have won. His changes gave us the best chance of winning the game and I'm ok with that.

Yeah this.

People have been crying out for a more attacking display. You can't then throw your toys when it doesn’t come off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:43

YorkshireRoyal99
leon

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree, but our results are poor against 4 of the best 6 sides in the league currently, most teams in our position would have poor results against those types of sides. We hardly got blown away in the last 3 either.

Looking at what fixtures we've got left, we've only got Burnley left who are in the top 6 and the rest we can definitely get points from, even the away fixtures.

Yep. Relegation is still only a possibility. It's not like a new manager will suddenly solve anything.

Tbh, if we go down I'd be more inclined to give Ince another year at a lower level with fewer constraints.

Anyone expecting Ince to go immenently is deluded imo. We were dreadful for ages under Clownovic and lost 7/8 in a row. We're on 4, exclusively from the top 6.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:45

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
leon

Yep. Relegation is still only a possibility. It's not like a new manager will suddenly solve anything.

Tbh, if we go down I'd be more inclined to give Ince another year at a lower level with fewer constraints.

Anyone expecting Ince to go immenently is deluded imo. We were dreadful for ages under Clownovic and lost 7/8 in a row. We're on 4, exclusively from the top 6.

Agree - or I wouldn't say it's a given that Ince goes just because we go down, even though I'm sure most fans would want him out at that stage.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 08:50

I think if you asked, most fans who actually watch the games would say thanks but no thanks.

I wouldn’t mind the abject clueless football if we could get a few nil nil, draws and get some points, but we don’t.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 16 Mar 2023 08:53

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
leon

I guess the difference between clownovich and ince is mark Bowen. How much power does Bowen have? Will it be his decision? Or dai’s again?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:54

How many games have you watched this season leon?

I'm on about 34 for the league.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:56

leon I think if you asked, most fans who actually watch the games would say thanks but no thanks.

I wouldn’t mind the abject clueless football if we could get a few nil nil, draws and get some points, but we don’t.

But we don't against better sides, whereas most teams who sit in the bottom half with a target of just surviving, won't get m/any points from the better sides, no matter what football you play or what division you play in.

I can completely understand it's a tough watch, which it is. If it gets us over the line this season, which I still suspect it will, then job done and we can look to move away from it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 09:02

Snowflake Royal How many games have you watched this season leon?

I'm on about 34 for the league.

???
I think you’re being paranoid princess . Not everything is about you.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 09:03

YorkshireRoyal99
leon I think if you asked, most fans who actually watch the games would say thanks but no thanks.

But we don't against better sides, whereas most teams who sit in the bottom half with a target of just surviving, won't get m/any points from the better sides, no matter what football you play or what division you play in.

I can completely understand it's a tough watch, which it is. If it gets us over the line this season, which I still suspect it will, then job done and we can look to move away from it.

Yes but my point was even if it does Ince hasn’t demonstrated anything to say we should continue with him.

Hence “thanks but no thanks”

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 09:32

leon
YorkshireRoyal99

Yes but my point was even if it does Ince hasn’t demonstrated anything to say we should continue with him.

Fair point. Although if he keeps us up then you'd imagine it would be harsh to sack someone who has done the only remit of the job under restricted circumstances.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Mar 2023 10:05

If Ince goes, you will be getting Bowen and Hunt - happy with that? Take Mcdermott? That will be the options.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 10:12

Ince isn`t going anywhere despite all the Ince out explosions all over the net following last nights game, we have 9 cup finals coming up and we need stability, no need to rock the boat now.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Mar 2023 10:22

windermereROYAL Ince isn`t going anywhere despite all the Ince out explosions all over the net following last nights game, we have 9 cup finals coming up and we need stability, no need to rock the boat now.

Also share this view - but people need to realise that Bowen / Hunt will be the alternative.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 11:27

leon
YorkshireRoyal99

He also hasn't been bad enough we really need to sack him (yet). And replacing managers every 12 months is proven to fail.

He's also had a harder job than the vast majority of managers we've had in recent years.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Mar 2023 11:38

Snowflake Royal
Vision
morganb We played better tonight but when we'd fought back to 1-1 surely that was when a good manager would bring on Liam Moore to shore up the defence and try to get a hard earned point. Recently Ince has been trying to preserve a point for 90 minutes, today it would have only been for 25. Comes across a little clueless

We can't have it both ways though. We criticise him for negativity (rightly in a lot of cases) so we can't very well complain when he makes like for like changes in a game which either side has had chances to win. And he showed some faith in the Academy players on the bench which hasn't always been the case.

No way to know for sure of course but if we'd played for a draw I'm not convinced we'd have held out but I am sure we definitely wouldn't have won. His changes gave us the best chance of winning the game and I'm ok with that.

Yeah this.

People have been crying out for a more attacking display. You can't then throw your toys when it doesn’t come off.

I was just suggesting that there is a time and a place for an attacking display. Perhaps if he was convinced we could win then they were the right changes to make but were you mainly thinking "we're going to score in a minute" rather than "we're going to concede in a minute"?

We were behind from early on, we had just equalised, we had been very lucky that Rovers hadn't scored, there was only 20 minutes left. That is the time when a manager might just think perhaps now is the time we should try to hold on to a point. They should be able to read what is in front of them and adapt accordingly, not have a rigid game plan. People were rightly "throwing their toys" when he tried to do it from minute one but they should be more understanding given the situation in each individual match.

1204 posts