Season summary…

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season summary…

by Hound » 25 Apr 2022 09:56

Morro’s been brilliant for us. Great signing. However I don’t want to taint his time here with another season of decline. We should wave goodbye - maybe with the offer of a coaching contract which he is obviously keen to get into

Agree on pace at the back. Thomas may be as good as we can get. If not, may be worth looking at prem loanees

Getting rid of Moore is so important. Shame as I don’t think there will be many takers

35k a week is between 3-5 experienced players to add to the squad and actually be productive. It’s massive

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Apr 2022 10:00

Agree on Moore - has to go... and then we can cream off talent in league one - has to be the way.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Apr 2022 10:25

Hound Morro’s been brilliant for us. Great signing. However I don’t want to taint his time here with another season of decline. We should wave goodbye - maybe with the offer of a coaching contract which he is obviously keen to get into

Agree on pace at the back. Thomas may be as good as we can get. If not, may be worth looking at prem loanees

Getting rid of Moore is so important. Shame as I don’t think there will be many takers

35k a week is between 3-5 experienced players to add to the squad and actually be productive. It’s massive

He's only got a year left on his deal, even if we had to subsidise half of his wages, that's still potentially another player or two we can sign in the summer and the rest of his wages will be gone the season after. Moore's situation we will be taking a hit on, but it might not be as simple as "all or nothing". In this case, doing something is far better than doing nothing.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Apr 2022 13:35

I can't see us shipping out Moore very easily.

Been injury prone recently and there's the alleged behind the scenes stuff, remember Bowen also wanted him out

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 25 Apr 2022 14:25

HOW THE OXFORD has Swift not been included in the EFL Team of the Season? The best midfielder in the division, bar Harry Wilson.

Just because we were relegation fodder, doesn't mean the player(s) don't deserve the recognition. Jesus, he was in a difficult team and STILL had those stats. I'm sure he'd knock Wilson outta the park if he were playing for Fulham this season.

It's a travesty. And Ryan Yates above him? Good player, but not better than Swift. Of course I'm biased, but you got to look at those stats, it's Swifty every time.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Apr 2022 14:45

Mid Sussex Royal I can't see us shipping out Moore very easily.

Been injury prone recently and there's the alleged behind the scenes stuff, remember Bowen also wanted him out

Yeah that's true, although I'm not sure if Bowen was more to do with the financial side of things rather than personal preference in player. Could have been both.

I'm just hopeful someone from the US comes in for him. Unlikely though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Apr 2022 15:54

skipper HOW THE OXFORD has Swift not been included in the EFL Team of the Season? The best midfielder in the division, bar Harry Wilson.

Just because we were relegation fodder, doesn't mean the player(s) don't deserve the recognition. Jesus, he was in a difficult team and STILL had those stats. I'm sure he'd knock Wilson outta the park if he were playing for Fulham this season.

It's a travesty. And Ryan Yates above him? Good player, but not better than Swift. Of course I'm biased, but you got to look at those stats, it's Swifty every time.

Too inconsistent I guess. Amazing at the start of the year but definitely dropped off, and prob in the middle of that horrendous run of defeats when voting took place

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Apr 2022 09:44

John Swift hasn't been great in 2022, guess he played too many games over a short space of time and burnt out. He really isn't the sort of player that can do 46 games a season at a high level, he needs a regular break. Not his fault, just the way his body works.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Apr 2022 09:46

Even still, his figures for the season in total for a team in our position this season is still very good and there is certainly a strong argument to be had for him to be in the team of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2022 18:23

YorkshireRoyal99 Even still, his figures for the season in total for a team in our position this season is still very good and there is certainly a strong argument to be had for him to be in the team of the season.

If his early season form came mid season, he would be. No question.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2022 17:22

This isn't a compliment. It means we didn't put ourselves about and didn't get close enough to the opposition.

Reading have been awarded the @PFA Bobby Moore Football Fair Play Trophy for having the best disciplinary record in England’s top four tiers

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 May 2022 17:17

skipper HOW THE OXFORD has Swift not been included in the EFL Team of the Season? The best midfielder in the division, bar Harry Wilson.

Just because we were relegation fodder, doesn't mean the player(s) don't deserve the recognition. Jesus, he was in a difficult team and STILL had those stats.

It's a travesty. Of course I'm biased, but you got to look at those stats, it's Swifty every time.

I would guess players vote based on how they felt players were when they played against them, rather than looking at stats.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 06 May 2022 20:36

Well we obviously cannot be happy with the season we’ve endured . The concerning thing is that nobody has any idea where we are heading . Our current position is, no manager, hardly any players signed for next season , and based on past evidence , this will not be quickly resolved .
Many are suggesting on here that we introduce youngsters into the team next season . On the evidence of this season not one of them showed they are good enough or even close . I see a number on here have named Holmes as the Unsung Hero , as someone that wouldn’t get into a decent defence and actually caused as many problems as he solved in a terrible defence can be a hero . The goals against shows where we must strengthen , GK and CB are the priority .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2022 11:05

Once upon a time . Well we obviously cannot be happy with the season we’ve endured . The concerning thing is that nobody has any idea where we are heading . Our current position is, no manager, hardly any players signed for next season , and based on past evidence , this will not be quickly resolved .
Many are suggesting on here that we introduce youngsters into the team next season . On the evidence of this season not one of them showed they are good enough or even close . I see a number on here have named Holmes as the Unsung Hero , as someone that wouldn’t get into a decent defence and actually caused as many problems as he solved in a terrible defence can be a hero . The goals against shows where we must strengthen , GK and CB are the priority .

There's quite a lot wrong with this.

Youth players not even close...

Camara was excellent.
Tetek performed admirably out of position.
Southwood started excellently, but after a couple of errors had a crisis of confidence and got no support from the team
Dorsett just won (Y?)PotS at Rochdale in L2
Abrefa looked promising
Stickland didn't look especially out of place.
Clarke and Bristow weren't ready but showed positive signs for the relatively near future.
Osorio and Ashcroft were some way off but look like promising players for the slightly longer term future.

Then there's Andresson, Samuels, Abbey and co who we haven't seen but have been highly rated.

Clearly a team of just youth players will not be ideal. But many of them are pushing readiness as squad players and back up. And a few are capable of taking a chance if it comes their way.

As for Holmes. He performed badly in a disorganised team performing badly, when offered no protection from midfield. But last season and as Ince has drilled the team better, his performances are perfectly good enough.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 May 2022 11:20

Obviously we all want our young players to come in and do well and have a future at our club.

Ian has been championing Camara all season and he may well come good but his comments on how those youngsters have done in the very few minutes that they have played is IMHO positively exaggerated.

We have seen it before in thinking that players will come good, East, Kuhl etc come to mind , based on just a few minutes of action but we just have to hope that the club get it right on who to keep and who to let go.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 07 May 2022 11:37

No Ian , there’s just a lot you don’t agree with . No surprise .

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 May 2022 11:39

NathStPaul This isn't a compliment. It means we didn't put ourselves about and didn't get close enough to the opposition.

Reading have been awarded the @PFA Bobby Moore Football Fair Play Trophy for having the best disciplinary record in England’s top four tiers

What nonsense !
Check the disciplinary record of the 106 team. Sonko and Ivar ever present, no yellow cards !
There really is nothing smart about conceding possession and reducing your effectiveness (which is what cards do).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2022 12:12

South Coast Royal Obviously we all want our young players to come in and do well and have a future at our club.

Ian has been championing Camara all season and he may well come good but his comments on how those youngsters have done in the very few minutes that they have played is IMHO positively exaggerated.

We have seen it before in thinking that players will come good, East, Kuhl etc come to mind , based on just a few minutes of action but we just have to hope that the club get it right on who to keep and who to let go.

Kuhl had a goodly number of appearances and some man of the match performances.

I don't think East's performance was widely rated at all, beyond youth games.

Of course promise doesn't translate into success all the time and of course not all of those players will transition or succeed. But there is clearly a wealth of talent coming through. And we've seen in recent years that is regularly delivered upon.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2022 12:13

Nameless
NathStPaul This isn't a compliment. It means we didn't put ourselves about and didn't get close enough to the opposition.

What nonsense !
Check the disciplinary record of the 106 team. Sonko and Ivar ever present, no yellow cards !
There really is nothing smart about conceding possession and reducing your effectiveness (which is what cards do).

In a successful team it's a very high complement, in an unsuccessful team it certainly isn't.

You don't tend to concede possession when you foul. You foul because you don't have it. We've seen time and again our players get brought down cynically early, while we don't do it in return.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 May 2022 15:19

Overall Reading's season was no worse than Middlesbrough who finished 7th. Reading's season will be no worse than three of the four teams in the play-offs. All of them will still be in the Championship next season.

Reading are actually better off than Derby, Peterborough and Barnsley. The only teams Reading are worse off than are Fulham, Bournemouth and the play-off winner as they'll have been promoted.