Season summary…

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season summary…

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2022 12:58

mikey0406 Just seen this posted on a forum and wanted to see what others thought:

:D Player of the Season:
:( Flop of the Season:
:P Most Improved Player:
8) Unsung Hero:
:wink: Signing of the Season:

Swift
Drinkwater
Drinkwater
Rahman
Rahman

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2022 13:01

NathStPaul Not sure where to put this but :shock:

'Three first team stars will be serving fans in the Fanstore from 3.30pm this afternoon...and they might sign a few items for young supporters enjoying the end of their Easter holidays

No time for any selfies on this occasion, but swing by the Fanstore and say hi! '

No time for selfies? For young kids? Club has gone....

Who actually sits down and says "we cant do selfies guys" - like seriously, WTF?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Apr 2022 13:05

paultheroyal

'Three first team stars will be serving fans in the Fanstore from 3.30pm this afternoon...and they might sign a few items for young supporters enjoying the end of their Easter holidays

No time for any selfies on this occasion, but swing by the Fanstore and say hi! '

Who actually sits down and says "we cant do selfies guys" - like seriously, WTF?

I'd get it if there were going to be hundreds of people there. It will be about 20 youngsters and their parents, take a damn photo with them if they want one.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Apr 2022 13:34

This is a story, all about how, our season got flipped-turned upside down.
I'd like to take a minute, so sit right there.
I'll tell you how we become a football nightmare.

In West Reading, scorned and praised, at Elm Park, is where we played most of our games.
Winning some, losing, drawing, all cool,
Moved to mad stad and played some Premier league ball.

Then a couple of guys, who were up to no good. Started spending money like a moron would.
We got into financial plight, and the EFL got scared.
They said: "You're banned from signing players we haven't cleared".

We bristled and got mad when our punishment got near
Deducted 6 points, and maybe more next year.
If anything I could say that the judgement was fair
But some thought, "Nah, they're dicks, we don't really care".

We lost a load of game, maybe 7 or 8
So we yelled to the coach "Yo, Pauno, smell ya later".
We brought in daddy Ince,
Him and his son were a pair,
Now we're pretty safe, well, at least till next year.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 21 Apr 2022 13:44

paultheroyal

Its a bit of an inconvenience but I can understand it in these times. Club hasn't exactly 'gone' has it.

Obviously the PR team have their reasons.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Apr 2022 14:02

Loafer, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2022 17:26

Elm Park Kid This is a story, all about how, our season got flipped-turned upside down.
I'd like to take a minute, so sit right there.
I'll tell you how we become a football nightmare.

In West Reading, scorned and praised, at Elm Park, is where we played most of our games.
Winning some, losing, drawing, all cool,
Moved to mad stad and played some Premier league ball.

Then a couple of guys, who were up to no good. Started spending money like a moron would.
We got into financial plight, and the EFL got scared.
They said: "You're banned from signing players we haven't cleared".

We bristled and got mad when our punishment got near
Deducted 6 points, and maybe more next year.
If anything I could say that the judgement was fair
But some thought, "Nah, they're dicks, we don't really care".

We lost a load of game, maybe 7 or 8
So we yelled to the coach "Yo, Pauno, smell ya later".
We brought in daddy Ince,
Him and his son were a pair,
Now we're pretty safe, well, at least till next year.

:lol:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Apr 2022 18:22

Season summary … a bit shit but we look like getting away with it

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Apr 2022 18:29

South Coast Royal
mikey0406 Reading

Player of the Season: Josh Laurent - such a player
Flop of the Season: Liam Moore
Most Improved Player: Tom Holmes/Tom McIntyre
Unsung Hero: Michael Morrison
Signing of the Season: Baba Rahman but don’t underestimate the manager change to Paul Ince has been

Am not particularly disagreeing with you but 4 of those receiving praise were at various times part of a team with one of the worst defensive records in our whole history and elsewhere Andy Yiadom features highly as well.

All in all a funny old season..

People have very short memories.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Apr 2022 20:34

It’s tough to summarise as we have underachieved with the squad we have by about 20-25 points imo

Not one player has looked better than they did last year really. Yiadom maybe but only one to his previous levels, and actually Joao is playing as well as he ever has, but no one obviously

All the signings have added something pretty much, but Baba has missed loads, DD had a very poor patch; Hoilett has missed a lot and Ince has come in very late relatively (but definitely improved us)

Plenty of flops over the course of the season - Often injury related as well tbf. Meite has added nothing this year for obvious reasons and has probably dropped most from last year in terms of usefulness. Puscas was crap but certainly not helped by Pauno. Moore a total letdown for many reasons

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Apr 2022 08:29

It’s been one of the oddest season’s I can remember. The way we finished last season and with virtually losing our strike force before a ball was kicked this season I thought we’d be in a relegation dogfight. However, after a poor start we hit a bit of a purple patch and there was even talk of gate crashing the playoffs. It all then deteriorated after a points deduction and a worsening injury list.

The lowest point for me was the 2-0 home defeat to Luton because they barely had to break out of neutral. However, upon reflection it’s no surprise based on the team we were able to field that evening and Luton’s current position in the table.

I liked Pauno but he was tactically inept but history might show that he did well under the circumstances. Based on how he’s done so far I’d have no problem with Ince becoming the permanent manager. He’s had more options available to him than Pauno had for many months this season but he seems to have the respect of the players and after the comeback against Swansea I felt proud of the TEAM again.

We still need to make ourselves mathematically safe but with the players we’re being linked with, along with the valuable experience some of our youngsters have picked up this season due to necessity I am looking forward to next season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2022 08:39

Dreadful season, with arguably the worst manager we've had.

Goes into the season with 1 senior full back who will be playing at the ACoN and has a bit of an injury record, then signs just a second fullback who will also be playing at the ACoN after the start of the season, so he can rely on two youth players who have shown no signs of being ready.

Meanwhile, signs a 5th centreback, a 4th and 5th winger and 5th midfielder.

Oversees the drop in performance of almost the entire squad. And takes a side that finished 7th to 21st.

Training and tactics contribute to the worst injury record we've ever had, a desperately unfit squad, a vast number of goals conceded and no attempts to stop crosses, to the point we're conceding more than 30 a game at the end.

Most of which is largely solved two weeks into his replacement's tenure.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2022 09:02

Snowflake Royal Dreadful season, with arguably the worst manager we've had.

Goes into the season with 1 senior full back who will be playing at the ACoN and has a bit of an injury record, then signs just a second fullback who will also be playing at the ACoN after the start of the season, so he can rely on two youth players who have shown no signs of being ready.

Oversees the drop in performance of almost the entire squad. And takes a side that finished 7th to 21st.

Training and tactics contribute to the worst injury record we've ever had, a desperately unfit squad, a vast number of goals conceded and no attempts to stop crosses, to the point we're conceding more than 30 a game at the end.

I agree with the first bit fully.

Do you believe Paunovic had any say whatsoever when it came to the transfers? Would find it hard to believe based upon the structure of the club. I think Ince will be in a similar boat.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Apr 2022 09:04

Possibly an exaggeration to say arguably the worst manager we've ever had and a lot of this has been based off your assumptions that the previous manager might actually not have had a significant impact in/on.

Overall, poor season, Pauno rightly sacked for some really awful performances from December-February, should have left before he did. He had a rough first half of the season in fairness to him, but it never improved and only got worse when it should have improved. Ince has come in and done well to all but see us safe for another season when that looked very in doubt come February time.

See the job through, see what we are working with come 1st July and rebuild from there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2022 09:35

NathStPaul

I agree with the first bit fully.

Do you believe Paunovic had any say whatsoever when it came to the transfers? Would find it hard to believe based upon the structure of the club. I think Ince will be in a similar boat.

Yes. And if he didn't, he should have quit.

Full control no. But definitely involved.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Apr 2022 09:37

There has been worse......

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2022 09:41

I think worst cup defeat, worst post war (iirc) home defeat and one of the worst losing streaks is enough to qualify as at least arguably worst

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2022 09:41

Wycombe Royal

When you look at the quality of the players at his disposal in comparison to results it is hard to find worse than Paunovic. Bullivant was of course pathetically awful but so was our team. Paunovic didn't have that excuse.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2022 09:42

NathStPaul
Wycombe Royal

When you look at the quality of the players at his disposal in comparison to results it is hard to find worse than Paunovic. Bullivant was of course pathetically awful but so was our team. Paunovic didn't have that excuse.

Yep contenders in my time

Bullivant
Clement
Burns
Stam
Paunovic

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Apr 2022 09:48

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
Wycombe Royal There has been worse......

Yep contenders in my time

Bullivant
Clement
Burns
Stam
Paunovic

I'll give Stam a pass as he nearly took us up. His coaching career since Reading proves he is a poor coach so I am not doubting that but he did very well for one season with us.

Would replace Stam with Gomes, awful tactician.