Can we find 3 teams worse than us next season?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Can we find 3 teams worse than us next season?

by Hound » 26 Apr 2022 14:52

SCIAG
Crowbar6753
SCIAG We’ve been extremely unlucky with injuries this season, and it’s reasonable to expect that we will be less unlucky next season. The same could be said for form.

That said, as it stands out squad will probably look something like…

Southwood (Nyland?)
Yiadom
Dann, McIntyre, Holmes (Thomas?)
(Nobody)
Rinomhota, Laurent
Meite, Ejaria, Hoilett, Azeez (Barker?)
Joao

I’m optimistic that Laurent and Rinomhota will renew. I’m not sure it is worth persisting with the three in brackets. But that gives us twelve senior players, who would just about make a credible XI but no slack for injuries.

At the very least, we will need a left back, an attacking midfielder, and a striker. Halilovic might be an option but I don’t think TInce would be value for money. We probably also need cover for midfield, centre back, and right back, and maybe an upgrade on Southwood. Very tough to get all those players on our budget.

Lets not forget the likes of Tetek, Camara, Clarke, Bristow, Ashcroft and Abrefa who all have the potential to jump up to the senior squad. So with a few clever loan/free signings we should be ok to compete with most teams. Would like to try and get Drinkwater and T.Ince back again on loan.

Fair point on Tetek in particular, hopefully next season he’ll be ready to step up and be a genuine first team option. I overlooked him.

Camara plays in the position where we have the best depth (except perhaps centre back) but he could have something to contribute.

Not sure about Clarke or Ehibhationham or Melvin-Lambert, they’ve all got their qualities but I’m not sure they’re ready to be playing at this level.

I don’t think Bristow or Ashcroft would be in our thoughts if we had more than two full backs (and Araruna lol). Hopefully they continue to progress but again I’m not confident. Abrefa is more promising and imo has a higher ceiling.

Other question is whether Dorsett or Abbey or even Stickland could come into contention at centre back. And maybe Maunder can return from injury to be a home-made Swift replacement.

Maunder?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Apr 2022 14:52

SouthDownsRoyal Top six next season

Will be happy with top sixteen, tbh.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 26 Apr 2022 14:55

Will be a miracle if we finish 21st again next season. We need a couple of clubs to go into admin to give us any chance of survival.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Apr 2022 15:00

PATRIQT Will be a miracle if we finish 21st again next season. We need a couple of clubs to go into admin to give us any chance of survival.

Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Stoke City are all sailing close to the wind. The Championship is where the biggest challenges are financially in the football pyramid.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 26 Apr 2022 15:08

Lower West
PATRIQT Will be a miracle if we finish 21st again next season. We need a couple of clubs to go into admin to give us any chance of survival.

Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Stoke City are all sailing close to the wind. The Championship is where the biggest challenges are financially in the football pyramid.

Here's hoping. We can add Birmingham to that too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Apr 2022 15:11

SouthDownsRoyal Top six next season

In no particular order (assuming Forest win the playoffs)
Everton
Norwich
Watford
Sheffield Utd
WBA
Boro

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Apr 2022 15:13

Lower West

Doesn’t the way Stoke are structured mean they are pretty much immune from FFP ?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Apr 2022 15:14

Nameless
Lower West

Doesn’t the way Stoke are structured mean they are pretty much immune from FFP ?

No, they just believe they've found a loophole in the way they've described their finances, just like what Derby did...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Apr 2022 15:17

PATRIQT
Lower West

Here's hoping. We can add Birmingham to that too.

It is too early to tell if we will be near safety or not next season really. But you would expect that the 3 teams that are promoted, Birmingham and Hull and the teams under FFP scrutiny/deducted points are all likely to struggle next season again.

I'm not so sure how good Blackpool and Cardiff are either, they could quite easily falter, especially with the latter's parachute payments running out as of next season, as well as Huddersfield's if they aren't promoted and can't find a buyer.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Apr 2022 15:26

Negative vibes here

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Apr 2022 15:45

My view is that even if the worst was to happen next season and we get relegated we’ll be better equipped to bounce straight back up than we would have been this season.

With the right blend of experience, our own youngsters and some hungry young players on loan or from further down the football pyramid we can do alright. If we can get Moore off the wage bill that will be a huge bonus. Have to say that for the first time in a long time I feel quite excited about seeing a new group of players with hunger and ambition.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Apr 2022 16:28

blythspartan Have to say that for the first time in a long time I feel quite excited about seeing a new group of players with hunger and ambition.

If that's the calibre of player we end up recruiting. What we've seemingly gone for is players who are available and/or needing to prove a point i.e. Hoilett, Halilovic, Drinkwater, Nyland etc. Not that most of them have been bad, but that just seems to be what we've recruited mainly anyway.

Having said that, our situation may have dictated such. But I hoper you're correct and hopefully we can recruit a manager that suits that framework.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2022 18:13

SCIAG
Crowbar6753
SCIAG We’ve been extremely unlucky with injuries this season, and it’s reasonable to expect that we will be less unlucky next season. The same could be said for form.

That said, as it stands out squad will probably look something like…

Southwood (Nyland?)
Yiadom
Dann, McIntyre, Holmes (Thomas?)
(Nobody)
Rinomhota, Laurent
Meite, Ejaria, Hoilett, Azeez (Barker?)
Joao

I’m optimistic that Laurent and Rinomhota will renew. I’m not sure it is worth persisting with the three in brackets. But that gives us twelve senior players, who would just about make a credible XI but no slack for injuries.

At the very least, we will need a left back, an attacking midfielder, and a striker. Halilovic might be an option but I don’t think TInce would be value for money. We probably also need cover for midfield, centre back, and right back, and maybe an upgrade on Southwood. Very tough to get all those players on our budget.

Lets not forget the likes of Tetek, Camara, Clarke, Bristow, Ashcroft and Abrefa who all have the potential to jump up to the senior squad. So with a few clever loan/free signings we should be ok to compete with most teams. Would like to try and get Drinkwater and T.Ince back again on loan.

Fair point on Tetek in particular, hopefully next season he’ll be ready to step up and be a genuine first team option. I overlooked him.

Camara plays in the position where we have the best depth (except perhaps centre back) but he could have something to contribute.

Not sure about Clarke or Ehibhationham or Melvin-Lambert, they’ve all got their qualities but I’m not sure they’re ready to be playing at this level.

I don’t think Bristow or Ashcroft would be in our thoughts if we had more than two full backs (and Araruna lol). Hopefully they continue to progress but again I’m not confident. Abrefa is more promising and imo has a higher ceiling.

Other question is whether Dorsett or Abbey or even Stickland could come into contention at centre back. And maybe Maunder can return from injury to be a home-made Swift replacement.

I'd challenge best depth at CB, a lot of depth maybe, not exactly a lot of obvious quality there in the options.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2022 18:14

YorkshireRoyal99 Tetek will be a useful option for us in midfield so that gives us good cover there.

Really it's looking to try and build a squad really, not just with names but actually looking to build a squad from what we've got.

Rino and Laurent is a good platform in midfield and we've definitely got goals in our side with Joao, Meite and Ejaria. The midfield needs creativity for sure and some good strength in that area, the CB position definitely needs another body as well as at least a LB, possibly someone else who can cover both sides. A good, solid GK would be good as well, experience preferable.

Camara and Azeez definitely give us the capability to blood through some raw talent that have both shone at times this season, Dorsett himself may be considered for our first team squad if he doesn't go back out on loan.

Definitely using the loan/free market will be imperative to try and bring in 5+ players there as well as a couple of signings from the lower leagues, but the latter is something we simply have to get right and not waste money on players who aren't good enough again ala McNulty.

Do I need to highlight his end product again? :?

LOLLY @ being mentioned alongside Joao and Meite for goals

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Apr 2022 09:52

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Tetek will be a useful option for us in midfield so that gives us good cover there.

Really it's looking to try and build a squad really, not just with names but actually looking to build a squad from what we've got.

Rino and Laurent is a good platform in midfield and we've definitely got goals in our side with Joao, Meite and Ejaria. The midfield needs creativity for sure and some good strength in that area, the CB position definitely needs another body as well as at least a LB, possibly someone else who can cover both sides. A good, solid GK would be good as well, experience preferable.

Camara and Azeez definitely give us the capability to blood through some raw talent that have both shone at times this season, Dorsett himself may be considered for our first team squad if he doesn't go back out on loan.

Definitely using the loan/free market will be imperative to try and bring in 5+ players there as well as a couple of signings from the lower leagues, but the latter is something we simply have to get right and not waste money on players who aren't good enough again ala McNulty.

Do I need to highlight his end product again? :?

LOLLY @ being mentioned alongside Joao and Meite for goals

Not alongside, collectively. A front 3 of Joao, Meite and Ejaria is definitely capable of scoring goals at this level.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Apr 2022 09:56

I am already excited for next season. Total refresh of squad, hopefully some secret scouting has been going on, and we can be the surprise package. With Paul Ince at helm, i am up for an exciting 22/23 season. URZ!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Apr 2022 10:00

paultheroyal I am already excited for next season. Total refresh of squad, hopefully some secret scouting has been going on, and we can be the surprise package. With Paul Ince at helm, i am up for an exciting 22/23 season. URZ!

Whilst your permanent optimistic approach is laudable, you have to wake up and live in the real world at some point.

We don't have scouting, we have Kia Joorabchien.

Paul Ince isn't an exciting appointment, it is a cost effective one.

We are going to be in a relegation fight with a squad who no doubt will have been cobbled together at the last minute, similar to Derby did at the start of this season. Picking up players on cheap contracts who couldn't get deals elsewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 10:04

NathStPaul
paultheroyal I am already excited for next season. Total refresh of squad, hopefully some secret scouting has been going on, and we can be the surprise package. With Paul Ince at helm, i am up for an exciting 22/23 season. URZ!

Whilst your permanent optimistic approach is laudable, you have to wake up and live in the real world at some point.

We are going to be in a relegation fight with a squad who no doubt will have been cobbled together at the last minute, similar to Derby did at the start of this season. Picking up players on cheap contracts who couldn't get deals elsewhere.

Much rather Paul’s ebullience than totally unrealistic negativity !
Some world class nonsense from you there....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Apr 2022 10:04

NathStPaul

But we are in the Championship - another season of decent level of football and there is always hope. Stranger things have happened and stories are there to be written.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Apr 2022 10:05

Nameless
NathStPaul

Much rather Paul’s ebullience than totally unrealistic negativity !
Some world class nonsense from you there....

What part of what I said is nonsense? All fact. Please offer up what you disagree with and why.