128 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2022 14:02

When : Saturday, 30th April, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

A game that is now completely meaningless in the scheme of things thanks to Barnsley and Peterborough maintaining their on field successes last weekend. As a result I really don’t know what to expect, perhaps the fact that safety has finally been secured will see a more relaxed, and possibly, better performance or maybe we might all get to see more of an experimental idea or two being tried in readiness for next season (if PI is still at the club of course). That said the same iffy defending and frustrating attacking really wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

For WBA the season pretty much disappeared at the turn of the year and hasn’t recovered especially, as many Baggies fans might tell you, after the appointment of Steve Bruce.

It was the Throstles’ form in January and February that put paid the their biennual return to the Premier League. During that time they struggled to one win only (3-0 at home to Peterborough) in 12 games and lost on 8 occasions. Since then though WBA have played 10, won 4, drawn 3 and lost 3 so all very mid table which is now where they find themselves after the aforementioned months of January and February dropped them right out of the automatic promotion places.

On their travels the Baggies have won just once in 2022 (2-0 at Hull) so aren’t exactly world beaters but then with Reading’s terrific home form they don’t need to be. Karlan Grant (15 goals) and Callum Robinson (7 goals) carry the striking threat and of course there’s Andy Carroll (3 goals) to wrap things up but at least the game is completely irrelevant so when he nets the inevitable late winner it won’t matter in the slightest. Of the rest of the team Alex Mowatt, Jake Livermore and Grady Diangana can catch the eye so there’s plenty to keep the Reading squad awake on the day.

Kean Bryan, Daryl Dike and regular keeper Sam Johnstone will all miss the game through injury for WBA while Reading should have a bigger squad of options than they have had nearly all season with only Araruna, Dann, Swift and Rinomhota definitely out.

Lastly, I presume there will be the usual “lap of honour” by the players (if anyone can be bothered after such a totally underwhelming season, especially at home) but as there are currently only 10 “senior” players contracted for next season who knows how many of them will be gone over the summer.

At the end of the day though thankfully Reading are safe in 21st, they can’t be caught and can only get to 20th by winning both remaining games and hoping Brum don’t get more than 1 point from their remaining games (presuming the GD can swing by 7 as well of course). Be good if that could happen just to give the players a target but realistically this one is going to mean naff all to either side so this game and the next at Luton can just be enjoyed!

Referee

Matthew “did this fixture last time it came round” Donohue

Previously

16 Feb 22 > Peterborough United 0-0 Reading
07 Aug 21 > Stoke City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 20 > Reading 2-1 Luton Town
12 Feb 20 > Reading 1-2 West Bromwich Albion
11 Dec 19 > Barnsley 1-1 Reading
21 Sep 19 > Reading 1-2 Blackburn Rovers
10 Aug 19 > Hull City 1-0 Reading

Historically

This is the eighteenth league season shared with WBA, of which 14 have been since 1986/87. So far it’s pretty close with 6 wins for WBA and 5 for Reading with 6 drawn which is possibly not too bad considering the Throstles’ are largely a tier 1/2 yo-yo club and at least this is the home fixture rather than the away version which, in the league, is a bit of a graveyard for the Biscuitmen.

Conversely though, perhaps this should be sold to the players as a cup game as WBA do appear to have very big issues when facing Reading in a cup competition as their 0 wins and 4 defeats from the 6 cup played games in Reading shows.

WBA, though, have only failed to score on 2 occasions in the league at Reading and Reading themselves have only failed to score on 3 occasions so it all rather suggests there are goals to be had in this one - so let’s hope they turn up for the home team for a change.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Crowbar6753

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Apr 2022 15:56

WBA are pretty poor at the moment, and with us now being safe and guaranteed 21st spot i would be inclined to give a few of the senior pro's a rest and let a few of the fringe players showcase their talent for next season.

Would like to see Barker, Azeez, Camara and Abrefa given a run out and maybe Tetek if fit. Would also try Holmes and McIntyre as the central pairing in defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2022 18:18

....................Southwood
Yiadom, Thomas, McIntyre, Rahman
................Tetek*, Drinkwater
Ince, ............Ejaria, ..............Barker
..........................Joao

*Laurent if Tetek isn't fit.

Clarke or Ehib to get 20 mins. Camara to get 20 mins too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Apr 2022 18:38

Snowflake Royal ....................Southwood

Yeah would be happy with that side.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Apr 2022 09:08

Time to play some of the fringe players, let them try and prove a point. Would expect WBA to do something similar, could have real Reading v QPR vibes from 2013 where both teams just couldn't really be arsed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Apr 2022 09:32

....................Nyland

................Laurent, Ince

Meite, ............, ..............Barker

......Azeez............Joao

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Apr 2022 09:34

Agree with Southwood getting game time. Think he deserves to make a case for himself for next season. Not seen anything to suggest he is going to be our long term keeper but his form at the start of the season won us a lot of points, get him in til the end of the season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Apr 2022 10:43

Seems reasonable enough. May even be inclined to give someone performing in the U23's a chance in the starting line up as well, if there is anyone that is.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 27 Apr 2022 15:21

I'm hoping we use these final two games to play some of the kids we hope will make an impact next season. It's no good playing anyone we know who wants to leave. Let's see Clarke, Camera, Inhabwhatshischops get a game.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 Apr 2022 15:37

PATRIQT I'm hoping we use these final two games to play some of the kids we hope will make an impact next season. It's no good playing anyone we know who wants to leave. Let's see Clarke, Camera, Inhabwhatshischops get a game.

If he becomes a first team regular I'm getting Inhabwhatshischops on the back of a XXXS (or XXXXXXL if it doesn't fit) replica shirt (other sizes are not available)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 15:49

morganb
PATRIQT I'm hoping we use these final two games to play some of the kids we hope will make an impact next season. It's no good playing anyone we know who wants to leave. Let's see Clarke, Camera, Inhabwhatshischops get a game.

If he becomes a first team regular I'm getting Inhabwhatshischops on the back of a XXXS (or XXXXXXL if it doesn't fit) replica shirt (other sizes are not available)

Is that because it’s a long name ?
It’s not the longest name in the u23 squad though.
It’s not even the second longest....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 15:51

morganb

There’s even a player in the first team squad with a longer name !

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 Apr 2022 16:04

Nameless
morganb

Yes, I thought he'd be best value for money (as you pay for the name not each individual letter).

I'm intrigued who'd be better value (without Googling, as that's cheating).

Ehibhatiomhan is 13 letters

Melvin-Lambert?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 16:41

morganb
Nameless
morganb

Yes, I thought he'd be best value for money (as you pay for the name not each individual letter).

I'm intrigued who'd be better value (without Googling, as that's cheating).

Ehibhatiomhan is 13 letters

Melvin-Lambert?

Talent-Aryeety is 14
And of course if you include the first name Ehibhatiomhan ‘s brother has a longer one !

First team wise I had miscounted Dele-Bashiru.....

I’d concede that double barrelling could be seen as a bit of a cheat and 13 as one named is pretty good.

I never thought anyone would beat the ex Saints player Phillipson-Masters (18) but I’m sure there must be longer names out there

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Apr 2022 16:51

Current u23 triallist Tristan Abideen-Goodridge takes home the prize for longest surname on a Reading team sheet this season. Seventeen characters. But he’s not contracted to the club.

Of course if we ever had both the Ehibhationham brothers in the squad then that would add an extra two non-space characters for their first initial and a full stop.

Or perhaps they could both marry a member of the Abideen-Goodridge family and become K. and P. (and T.) Ehibhationham-Abideen-Goodridge. Those names would be 33 characters long. If Princewell spelled out his full name then we would need a smaller font.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 16:55

SCIAG Current u23 triallist Tristan Abideen-Goodridge takes home the prize for longest surname on a Reading team sheet this season. Seventeen characters. But he’s not contracted to the club.

Of course if we ever had both the Ehibhationham brothers in the squad then that would add an extra two non-space characters for their first initial and a full stop.

Or perhaps they could both marry a member of the Abideen-Goodridge family and become K. and P. (and T.) Ehibhationham-Abideen-Goodridge. Those names would be 33 characters long. If Princewell spelled out his full name then we would need a smaller font.

Surely Tristan’sname on the team sheet was only 9 characters ?
T-R-I-A-L-L-I-S-T

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2022 17:00

Happy with Ian’s team above

See Bruce has told all the players they need to live within an hour of WBA next season

Guess that’s big Andy out the door then - suspect he might not play Saturday either

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Apr 2022 17:02

Nameless
SCIAG Current u23 triallist Tristan Abideen-Goodridge takes home the prize for longest surname on a Reading team sheet this season. Seventeen characters. But he’s not contracted to the club.

Surely Tristan’sname on the team sheet was only 9 characters ?
T-R-I-A-L-L-I-S-T

https://twitter.com/RFCAcademy/status/1 ... 26/photo/1

:wink:

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 27 Apr 2022 17:23

By all accounts the U-23s played really well against Fulham and Noel Hunt was super complimentary about them which bodes well for the future and i really think 3 or 4 of this team will need to step up and be counted next season.
Our academy is the future of the club, if we can get a few of the Olise/Loader/Richards success coming through the ranks and get a few years out of them and with a seasoned Director of Football on board offering sensible contracts with clauses that benefit us as a club then it should be the model we use moving forward saving us millions.

With a well run academy producing promising home grown players, we shouldn't need greedy agents like Kia Whats-his-face offering us has been mercenary's who don't give a rats arse about the club as long as they get a big fat pay check!!!

Brian McD for Director of Football please and thanks... :D he knows the club inside and out and has great experience with young players and was by all means a great scout, and the guy is begging to come back!! Its a no brainer for me.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2022 17:35

Crowbar6753
With a well run academy producing promising home grown players, we shouldn't need greedy agents like Kia Whats-his-face offering us has been mercenary's who don't give a rats arse about the club as long as they get a big fat pay check!!!

Interestingly those 3 home grown hero’s you mentioned (only 1 of whom was really home grown) all up and left as soon as they got big money offers from elsewhere !

128 posts