MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

128 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2022 13:30

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal A bit harsh to blame Drinkwater for the goal-there were still opportunities to defend the break but this team just cannot defend and we subsequently got away with what could well have been a bigger defeat with some poor finishing (their problem all season) by WBA..

Are you kidding? His error made it a 3 v 2 running at slow defenders who don't like being run at. All because he wanted to oxf*rd about under pressure deep in our half with half our defenders ahead of him.

No I'm not kidding.
Yes, he lost possession about 10 yards inside our half, not "deep in our half".
There was plenty of time to still defend-unfortunately it was deja vu as we have seen so many goals like that scored against us this season.
At our level 3v2 does not always guarantee a goal, apart from Reading of course.

The whole defence of our side needs an overhaul and that includes the defensive duties of the midfield and attackers in what is meant to be a team game.
This season the attacker has been isolated as have the back 4 with our midfielders just not doing enough.

All you can do defending a 3 v 2 break is try to stay goal side and hope they make a mistake. They didn't.

It may not have been far inside our half, but there were only two deeper players. He oxf*rd it, and he should be blaming himself. He's done it time and again.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 May 2022 13:30

Joao had identical headers from corners in each half getting to the ball first only to glance it wide of the back post on each occasion what he perhaps should have done better.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2022 19:08

Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal Are you kidding? His error made it a 3 v 2 running at slow defenders who don't like being run at. All because he wanted to oxf*rd about under pressure deep in our half with half our defenders ahead of him.

No I'm not kidding.
There was plenty of time to still defend-unfortunately it was deja vu as we have seen so many goals like that scored against us this season.
At our level 3v2 does not always guarantee a goal, apart from Reading of course.

The whole defence of our side needs an overhaul and that includes the defensive duties of the midfield and attackers in what is meant to be a team game.
This season the attacker has been isolated as have the back 4 with our midfielders just not doing enough.

All you can do defending a 3 v 2 break is try to stay goal side and hope they make a mistake. They didn't.

It may not have been far inside our half, but there were only two deeper players. He oxf*rd it, and he should be blaming himself. He's done it time and again.

So the 'deep in our half' has proven to be an exaggeration as, I suspect is 'He's done it time and time again'. Care to provide some examples of that?

All players lose possession from time to time, particularly those who have been tasked to be a creative outlet and take an element of risk in order to provide openings for their team. I suspect if you watched yesterday's game back you would also see Drinkwater put in several really good challenges that broke up dangerous looking West Brom attacks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2022 09:33

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal
No I'm not kidding.

So the 'deep in our half' has proven to be an exaggeration as, I suspect is 'He's done it time and time again'. Care to provide some examples of that?

All players lose possession from time to time, particularly those who have been tasked to be a creative outlet and take an element of risk in order to provide openings for their team. I suspect if you watched yesterday's game back you would also see Drinkwater put in several really good challenges that broke up dangerous looking West Brom attacks.

I can think of at least two goals we've conceded as a direct result, I think there might be a third. And there have been examples where he did the same thing and we avoided being punished.

Deep or not doesn't really matter, there were only two players deeper and no one able to get back to help. It's a critical error.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2022 12:11

Pretty poor dead rubber game in all honesty, disappointed to lose but no all too concerned with the result given it's all pretty meaningless at this stage.

Drinkwater probably should have done better for the goal, hindsight is 20-20 though as they say. There were plenty of other moments in the match where we could/should have done better, it's just we got punished for this mistake, but it could have been a number of players who made a mistake on the day. Nothing to kick up too much of a fuss about.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2022 12:44

YorkshireRoyal99 Pretty poor dead rubber game in all honesty, disappointed to lose but no all too concerned with the result given it's all pretty meaningless at this stage.

Drinkwater probably should have done better for the goal, hindsight is 20-20 though as they say. There were plenty of other moments in the match where we could/should have done better, it's just we got punished for this mistake, but it could have been a number of players who made a mistake on the day. Nothing to kick up too much of a fuss about.

Yeah losing and the players making absolutely no effort is perfectly ok.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2022 13:42

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 Pretty poor dead rubber game in all honesty, disappointed to lose but no all too concerned with the result given it's all pretty meaningless at this stage.

Yeah losing and the players making absolutely no effort is perfectly ok.

When did I say it was perfectly ok?

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 03 May 2022 13:17

Snowflake Royal I can think of at least two goals we've conceded as a direct result, I think there might be a third. And there have been examples where he did the same thing and we avoided being punished.

Deep or not doesn't really matter, there were only two players deeper and no one able to get back to help. It's a critical error.

He did this two or three times away at PNE. I only remember because it was driving me insane. He played brilliantly, broke down the PNE attack with a great tackle, then put us in an even more dangerous position with a terrible pass that never made it (we're talking simple passes as well, back to defenders). We were saved by Preston just being awful that day and not being able to punish us.

I like Drinkwater, but he does have the odd mistake in him from time to time unfortunately.

128 posts