124 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Sutekh » 03 May 2022 14:16

When : Saturday 7th May 2022, 12.30pm
Where : Kenilworth Road, 1 Maple Road, Luton, LU4 8AW
Capacity : 10,073

At last. It ends here and we can all have almost 3 months rest before going through what will probably be the same thing again. However that 3 months will like be filled with plenty of wtf moments as no doubt the club will do it’s best to annoy, confound, frustrate, amaze and then hope everyone’s on board for the ride into god knows what.

Luton, on the other hand, have only one uncertainty which is whether they will make it into the playoffs and then back to the top division or fail miserably. It is completely in their hands needing a win to guarantee the play off lottery while Reading have naff all to play for but Reading do have some history in nobbling expectant clubs on final days esp. when being, well, rather cr@p.

The Hatters are better than Reading this time round, in fact 31 points and 15 places better so there is a gap to be bridged. Luton’s current form isn’t exactly brilliant with just 2 wins (though 1 of those was v Forest) from the last 7 games and last time out they got the full Fulham treatment and crashed 7-0.

The danger comes in the shape of Harry Cornick and Elijah Adebayo who have netted 27 of Luton’s 62 league goals so it’s fairly clear where Reading need to start the marshalling. Midfielder Luke Berry is another one that may need to be watched carefully while the likes of their older players in the shapes of Henri Lansbury and Cameron Jerome should not be taken lightly.

As we finally get to the last game Reading at last encounter a club with similar injury problems, in fact a club that actually has worse problems at the moment having had 9 players sidelined for their demise at Craven Cottage on Monday. Definitely expected to be out are Gabriel Osho, Luke Berry, James Bree, James Shea, Jed Steer, Pelly Mpanzu, and Fred Oyedinma while there are concerns over Elijah Adebayo and Alan Campbell.

Reading will be without just the 6; Swift, Araruna, Azeez, Rinomhota, Ince and Holmes and how many of those will be turning out for the club next season remains to be seen.

At the end of the day though, if Reading can stop the habit of playing well between the goals then there might be hope for this game and for next season.

Lastly, if you haven’t already found it, the link below should keep you all fairly entertained in the close season:

https://dinglegame.xyz/

Referee

Jeremy Simpson

Previously....

29 Jan 2022 > Queens Park Rangers 4-0 Reading
20 Oct 2021 > Reading 2-3 Blackpool
02 Jan 2021 > Huddersfield 1-2 Reading
28 Nov 2020 > Reading 3-1 Bristol City
29 Feb 2020 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
30 Nov 2019 > Wigan Athletic 1-3 Reading
22 Oct 2019 > Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Reading
23 Feb 2019 > Reading 1-1 Rotherham United
22 Sep 2018 > Reading 3-0 Hull City
21 Apr 2018 > Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 Reading
14 Oct 2017 > Leeds United 0-1 Reading
31 Jan 2017 > Birmingham City 0-1 Reading
17 Dec 2016 > Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Reading
09 Sep 2016 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town (managed to book 9 players)
16 Apr 2016 > Leeds United 3-2 Reading
09 Jan 2016 > Huddersfield Town 2-2 Reading (FA Cup 3)
20 Oct 2015 > Rotherham United 1-1 Reading

Historically

49 previous league games have been played down the years between the two teams so this is the 25th season the clubs have shared and therefore the 25th visit to Kenilworth Road

Luton's little ground is a fairly unwelcome place for Reading as the Royals have only won 7 of the 24 league games played while they have been beaten on 13 occasions. Reading have also conceded 6 on two occasions and 5 on another and kept only 4 clean sheets at Kenilworth Road.

However the season before last season saw Reading’s biggest win at the ground by 5 to nothing and Reading have scored at least once on every league visit to Luton since season 1994/1995 apart from last year’s goalless draw.

How to follow the game

1. There might be Sky coverage on this one though how much probably depends on outcome of the Forest v Bournemouth game tonight
  2. Ticket yourself and travel
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use the RoyalTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Mr Angry » 03 May 2022 16:19

Firstly, many thanks for your fabulously entertaining and insightful previews of the upcoming games Sutekh - always worth a read!

As for this game, having watched a chunk of the 2nd half of their Fulham shellacking, one thing that was clear is that Luton are a physical side, bordering on the dirty. On at least 2 occasions their number 26, Muskwe, quite blantantly ran into opposing players long after the ball had gone, getting a card for the 2nd one.

They play a harrying, high intensity game, closing opponents down very quickly and not adverse to "robust" challenges, all designed to break up their opponents footballing superiority and to try and get players rattled. In that light they are a lot like Barnsley last season.

It will be ugly, and if we aren't for it, we will get steamrollered.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2022 16:42

Thanks for all the hard work and lovely match watches Sutekh

As for the game, finding it hard to give even the slightest toss. Looking forward to the end of the season and a month or two off from thinking about it very much

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 16:59

Hopefully a positive result and performance to end the season on, can't say I will lose sleep if we get neither though considering our season is done.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2022 17:59

Given the first team didn’t show much sign of the match mattering against West Brom, ring the changes and try some people out.

Southwood
Abrefa, Thomas, McIntyre, Bristow
Drinkwater, Tetek
Azeez, Ejaria, Camara
Joao

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2022 19:55

Not convinced a team full of youngsters is the way to go against a physical side, myself.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2022 19:59

I'm pretty sure we have to be careful to not play too many youngsters. Isn’t there a rule in place about making too many team changes in high stake games? Something to do with the integrity of the league.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 03 May 2022 20:07

NathStPaul I'm pretty sure we have to be careful to not play too many youngsters. Isn’t there a rule in place about making too many team changes in high stake games? Something to do with the integrity of the league.

Howdy Nath,
I think your correct regarding putting out a weakened team and the integrity thing an all. However, i think every player in his proposed first eleven has first team experience and given our injury issues arising again, we would have no issues putting that squad out.

If Ince has any doubt's that certain players are leaving then i would have no issues in dropping then for this game to give some of the fringe players a look at. Its ok watching them in training and practice games, but a tough game against a physical Luton team should sort the men from the boys.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 03 May 2022 20:08

Crowbar6753
NathStPaul I'm pretty sure we have to be careful to not play too many youngsters. Isn’t there a rule in place about making too many team changes in high stake games? Something to do with the integrity of the league.

Howdy Nath,
I think your correct regarding putting out a weakened team and the integrity thing an all. However, i think every player in his proposed first eleven has first team experience and given our injury issues arising again, we would have no issues putting that squad out.

If Ince has any knowledge that certain players are leaving then i would have no issues in dropping them for this game to give some of the fringe players a look at. Its ok watching them in training and practice games, but a tough game against a physical Luton team should sort the men from the boys.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 May 2022 20:21

Accustations made against Ejaria on social media by I assume an ex partner. Mentions verbal and physical abuse.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 May 2022 08:08

This has got May 2015 written all over it. A 3-0 win at Derby and a great performance from a young Tarique Fosu. One of my favourite away trips.

I want to see a mirror performance at Luton. I am probably deluded but I keep thinking that we must win by more than one goal again this season so let’s ruin their playoff party.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2022 08:12

From Despair To Where? Not convinced a team full of youngsters is the way to go against a physical side, myself.

I'm not sure the bunch of wimps in the first team will do any better and the youngsters are more likely to try than treat it like the training game it is for us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 May 2022 09:04

I'm not sold on starting too many youngsters. Maybe a couple like Tetek, Southwood and possibly Azeez that have shown signs of being capable in the first team, but not the rest, particularly if they aren't ready for this level of football yet, which I don't think the likes of Bristow and Abrefa are. Camara could be an option, if he is going to stay on after this season. I'd want it to be 2 from those 4, rather than all 4.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 May 2022 09:16

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Not convinced a team full of youngsters is the way to go against a physical side, myself.

I'm not sure the bunch of wimps in the first team will do any better and the youngsters are more likely to try than treat it like the training game it is for us.

If it was a dead rubber game maybe, but as a game with a fair bit riding on it at the top of the table, it wouldnt look good to make too many changes. Wouldn't want to give Steve " Mr Litigation" Gibson an excuse to get antsy, would we?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 04 May 2022 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2022 09:19

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

If it was a dead rubber game maybe, but as a game with a fair bit riding on it at the top of the table, it wouldnt look good to make too many changes. Wouldn't want Steve " Mr Litigation" Gibson getting antsy, would we?

I think it's the team most likely to succeed Mr Gibson.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 May 2022 10:15

Well seeing the auto promotion and relegation places are sorted this must be a shoe in for live sky tv coverage.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 May 2022 10:17

windermereROYAL Well seeing the auto promotion and relegation places are sorted this must be a *shoe in for live sky tv coverage.

*Shoo-in

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 May 2022 10:39

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL Well seeing the auto promotion and relegation places are sorted this must be a *shoe in for live sky tv coverage.

*Shoo-in

Cheers.

And it has been selected.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 May 2022 10:52

windermereROYAL
NathStPaul

*Shoo-in

Cheers.

Looking forward to paying £11 for the pleasure of seeing us get dicked by Luton.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 May 2022 13:00

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL
NathStPaul *Shoo-in

Cheers.

Looking forward to paying £11 for the pleasure of seeing us get dicked by Luton.

Well, you could, of course, not bother and go and do something else instead.

124 posts