Total votes: 78
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Do you want Ince to stay?

by paultheroyal » 09 May 2022 12:21

Brogue
tmesis
NathStPaul God...... Another "We can't do better than Ince so lets just hire him" argument.
We can do better than Ince and we have to do better than Ince. There are far better managers out there who would happily come and manage Reading. I would take a manager with absolutely no experience over Ince in truth, at the least they might have fresh football ideas and get us to play with a bit of flair. The football under Ince is dull, uninspiring and inaffective. If we are going to go down next season I would rather go down swinging than playing Inceball.

Again, it's not a question of whether we could do better than Paul Ince, because we obviously could. The question is whether the owners are likely to pick someone who is better. I have no faith in that.

We are also such a basket case currently, that any manager who isn't desperate for a job would probably wait for a better one.

That doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be keeping their options open though.

well lets hope that if the rumours are true that bowen is coming in as DOF, he will be tasked with finding the new manager and not the owners.

MK Dons manager which comes with Twine - job done.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 12:23

paultheroyal
Brogue
tmesis Again, it's not a question of whether we could do better than Paul Ince, because we obviously could. The question is whether the owners are likely to pick someone who is better. I have no faith in that.

We are also such a basket case currently, that any manager who isn't desperate for a job would probably wait for a better one.

That doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be keeping their options open though.

well lets hope that if the rumours are true that bowen is coming in as DOF, he will be tasked with finding the new manager and not the owners.

MK Dons manager which comes with Twine - job done.

What has the MK Dons manager done exactly? He failed.

Where are we getting the millions of pounds to sign Twine from? No chance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 12:40

Hound Where did this Bowen as DoF thing come from? Is it just a throwaway comment?

I’d take him back there - I liked his approach to it first time and seemed to be sorting some issues out

He left Wimbledon over the weekend for a position much higher up the pyramid.

Tbh, if he came back after the way he was treated, I'd have no respect for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 12:42

Hound Doubt Hughton will be on anyones list after the Forest debacle

A Bowen and Warburton/Mowbray hook up I could definitely get behind

One failure vs a string of decent / successes should certainly not rule him out for us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 13:12

Snowflake Royal
Hound Where did this Bowen as DoF thing come from? Is it just a throwaway comment?

I’d take him back there - I liked his approach to it first time and seemed to be sorting some issues out

I don’t really but the ‘way he was treated’ stuff.

He took the dof role when he was out of work I believe, and then got offered it back again in what was meant to be his original role when they wanted a new manager

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 09 May 2022 14:13

NathStPaul
paultheroyal
NathStPaul God...... Another "We can't do better than Ince so lets just hire him" argument.

We can do better than Ince and we have to do better than Ince. There are far better managers out there who would happily come and manage Reading. I would take a manager with absolutely no experience over Ince in truth, at the least they might have fresh football ideas and get us to play with a bit of flair. The football under Ince is dull, uninspiring and inaffective. If we are going to go down next season I would rather go down swinging than playing Inceball.

Let's have some names then. Tell me, who can we get in, to take this club forward and achieve some form of success, where, lets be honest, fighting off relegation is success.

Tony Mowbray*
Mark Warburton*
Chris Hughton****
John Terry*
Michael Carrick*

The last two names are of course unproven entities so definitely a risk to hire them but I would rather face the great unknown than the dour and miserable football that a Paul Ince team brings us.

* They will not want to come here as we couldn't pay them what they would want.
**** No thanks, he is not an improvement on Ince.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 May 2022 14:30

Hound
Snowflake Royal

He took the dof role when he was out of work I believe, and then got offered it back again in what was meant to be his original role when they wanted a new manager

Some people will stick to their agenda what ever.....
Probably the same people who slated Bowen for appointing himself manager in the first place !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 14:40

Hound
Snowflake Royal

He got replaced while in post and it was assumed he'd just happily move back into his previous position without asking him.

I think that's pretty spectacularly poor.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 14:41

Nameless
Hound
Snowflake Royal He left Wimbledon over the weekend for a position much higher up the pyramid.

Some people will stick to their agenda what ever.....
Probably the same people who slated Bowen for appointing himself manager in the first place !

Shows you know oxf*rd all as usual.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 14:43

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal He left Wimbledon over the weekend for a position much higher up the pyramid.

He got replaced while in post and it was assumed he'd just happily move back into his previous position without asking him.

I’m not sure that’s how it happened exactly. He may have only ever been given the manager role temporarily

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 14:44

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

I’m not sure that’s how it happened exactly. He may have only ever been given the manager role temporarily

36 games isn’t very temporary. You're really reaching with that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 14:46

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal He got replaced while in post and it was assumed he'd just happily move back into his previous position without asking him.

Well point is we really don’t know what went on behind the scenes

He obvs wasn’t treated THAT badly if he is coming back. Doesn’t exactly come over with someone who puts up with a load of shit

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2022 14:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

He obvs wasn’t treated THAT badly if he is coming back

We know that a new manager was announced before anything about him no longer being the manager, with him having managed all preseason as manager and started signings, and iirc didn't really mention him in the announcement. And that he was unhappy about it, and walked away from the offer of DoF.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 15:50

The Royal Forester
NathStPaul
paultheroyal
Let's have some names then. Tell me, who can we get in, to take this club forward and achieve some form of success, where, lets be honest, fighting off relegation is success.

Tony Mowbray*
Mark Warburton*
Chris Hughton****
John Terry*
Michael Carrick*

The last two names are of course unproven entities so definitely a risk to hire them but I would rather face the great unknown than the dour and miserable football that a Paul Ince team brings us.

Oh you've asked them?

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 09 May 2022 15:52

NathStPaul
The Royal Forester
NathStPaul Tony Mowbray*
Mark Warburton*
Chris Hughton****
John Terry*
Michael Carrick*

Oh you've asked them?

:|

You can tell that they would not want to come

I have also asked Carrick as My Mrs Grandad is friends with Rio Ferdinands dad who knows Carrick and told him

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 09 May 2022 15:53

NathStPaul
The Royal Forester
NathStPaul Tony Mowbray*
Mark Warburton*
Chris Hughton****
John Terry*
Michael Carrick*

Oh you've asked them?

That's as plausible as any of them being our next manager.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 May 2022 18:51

The Royal Forester
NathStPaul
paultheroyal

Tony Mowbray*
Mark Warburton*
Chris Hughton****
John Terry*
Michael Carrick*

:lol:

Hughton is by far the best manager on that list and also far better than Ince. Got Newcastle promoted and was sacked with them in 11th, got Birmingham into the play-offs, got Norwich to 11th, got Brighton promoted and kept them up twice, took over a Forest side who had 0 points in mid October and got them to 17th.

Warburton is second best. Mowbray is yesterday's man but probably no worse than Ince. Carrick has no significant experience. Terry has no significant experience and is a racist.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 May 2022 20:02

NathStPaul
paultheroyal

Tony Mowbray
Mark Warburton
Chris Hughton
John Terry
Michael Carrick

Then why turn our noses up at an unknown quantity from the other side in the world in that case? I know it might not be you specifically who is against that, but there seems to be a crowd that believe hiring "a Bulgarian manager" is daft, but yet I don't doubt a lot of people would be in favour of Carrick or Terry (less so for obvious reasons).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 May 2022 08:05

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal 36 games isn’t very temporary. You're really reaching with that.

He obvs wasn’t treated THAT badly if he is coming back

We know that a new manager was announced before anything about him no longer being the manager, with him having managed all preseason as manager and started signings, and iirc didn't really mention him in the announcement. And that he was unhappy about it, and walked away from the offer of DoF.

The only person who knows if he was truly badly treated is the guy who is apparently about to walk back into the club. So either he wasn't or he's just been offered a metric ton of cash and has no principles.

Bowen signed an extended deal but none of us are privvy to the terms of that - there may well have been a break clause in the summer of 2020, where the club could review progress and if necessary have him revert to Technical Director/DoF if they thought it was the best way forward. Bowen clearly disagreed at that point in becoming DoF - which is either because it was a complete shock or he had got the management bug and wanted to see if he could get another job.

The fact that he chose to go out to Portugal when the squad met VP for the first time didn't and still doesn't suggest to me that this was something out of the blue and done without his knowledge - he was clearly weighing up the position.

Now, down the line - he's only had one short term management gig and feels like a good time to return to the executive role at a key time.

This is just my reading of it but who knows - anyway, we need a DoF/Technical Director and it looks like we have one who knows the issues and may be able to address them either with Ince or someone else. Though I am expecting a double announcement of both appointments on Thursday or Friday.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 May 2022 12:48

Like it or lump it. Pauno had a season where RFC finished 7th

This season he was officially in charge for 32 games, altho' I would award him the win v Birmingham

Extrapolating the Pauno points over 33 games you get:

46 49 Points 57-88 -31 GD Pauno (33) 1.07 ppg

If you give the Birmingham win to Ince Pauno would be

46 42 points 56-89 -33 Pauno (32) 0.91 ppg

INCE's record including the Birmingham "gift" is

46 49 points 46-77 -31 INCE (14) 1.07 ppg

But without it, INCE looks very poor

46 42* 46 79 -33 INCE (13) 0.92 ppg

Putting the two managers together, in terms of actual points,
GD etc there is nothing to choose between them

IGNORING the PENALTY

46 49 Points 57-88 -31 Pauno (33) 1.07 ppg
46 49 Points 46-77 -31 INCE (14) 1.07 ppg
46 47 Points 54-87 -33 ACTUAL (Managers Combined)

46 42* 46 79 -33 INCE (13) 0.92 ppg 42.5 points)
46 42 56 89 -33 Pauno (32) 0.91 ppg

Looking at the availability of players, INCE had a far better squad than Pauno could call on.

Pauno had predicted a turn-round in February-March once players like Joao, McIntyre etc would return to fitness.

This is NOT to say that Pauno was good enough.

What I am saying is that AT BEST (if we are charitable) Ince "achieved" 1.07 ppg, the same ppg as Pauno this season
but INCE did it with better players available.

There is no actual evidence that Ince has been GOOD

130 posts