58%

Total votes: 78
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Do you want Ince to stay?

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2022 16:32

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Staggered how many people on here looking at his record with us and expecting a miraculous turnaround in just 14 games with essentially a bunch of no hopers. the the clown turned us in to.
Get fukking real.

Don't think anyone was expecting miraculous, but losing half your games, including your final three, doesn’t speak much towards sustained improvement or building toward success, does it.

I would say reaching safety was a huge factor in the last two (arguably the Hull game too), plus the Luton game was one we'd have been favorites to lose regardless.

Whether the downturn in peformance for the West Brom game in particular was down to Ince not motivating them, or them deciding it was 'job done' and they could mail it in, it's hard to say.

The question really isn't "are there better managers out there than Paul Ince?" (who are realistic prospects) because obviously there are. It's more "do you trust the owners to appoint someone better than Paul Ince?" and based all all four appointments made so far, I'd have to say that's a resounding no.

Ain't that the truth. Sooner the pcunt goes the better.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 May 2022 21:41

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Although in comparison, Clowno's last 14 was:

P14, W2, D3, L9.

So it is almost half a point a game better.

Merely looking at Ince's impact.

What came before is pretty essential in doing that.

Same group of players same level of performance. Whatever bounce there was ultimately evapourated. Once the the players reputations remained intact.

elrey

by elrey » 09 May 2022 04:39

Loafer Yes I want ince in

I like the fact we have an English manager who was an ex international that commands respect, and he is also a BAME manager

The wrong reasons to want a manager. Because he's English, black and played football does not mean he's going to be GOOD.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 May 2022 08:05

Ince is crap. He’ll struggle to win much with a team of U18s next season and our clueless owners will persist with him for far too long, then bring in some Slovakian bus driver and the cycle will continue.

We avoided relegation this season but it seems it’s a matter of when, not if, we go down with this lot in charge.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 May 2022 08:19

I like the fact we have an English manager who was an ex international that commands respect, and he is also a BAME manager

"Some Mothers Do Ave Em".

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 May 2022 08:29

elrey

The wrong reasons to want a manager. Because he's English, black and played football does not mean he's going to be GOOD.

:mrgreen:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 May 2022 08:46

I'd take Bowen as DOF with Ince in charge. What is the choice anyway? Ince has an affiliation with the club, he has helped connect the fans with the team and he has got some fight in him along with Rae and christ we will need him.

What Bowen will bring is contacts. He has had a good look at the League One market because lets be honest, that is going to be our budget. He will be out of our league in terms of sales price but the likes of Scott Twine is the sort of player we need to be recruiting. Lets hope there is at least 10 of them in that division that are going to be incoming.

Summer will be incredibly exciting in terms of a Reading Fan in terms of player recruitment, will never be a summer like it. It could be a dream, it could go horribly wrong. However, Ince should get the gig to lead the revolution.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 09:07

God...... Another "We can't do better than Ince so lets just hire him" argument.

We can do better than Ince and we have to do better than Ince. There are far better managers out there who would happily come and manage Reading. I would take a manager with absolutely no experience over Ince in truth, at the least they might have fresh football ideas and get us to play with a bit of flair. The football under Ince is dull, uninspiring and inaffective. If we are going to go down next season I would rather go down swinging than playing Inceball.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 May 2022 09:19

NathStPaul God...... Another "We can't do better than Ince so lets just hire him" argument.

We can do better than Ince and we have to do better than Ince. There are far better managers out there who would happily come and manage Reading. I would take a manager with absolutely no experience over Ince in truth, at the least they might have fresh football ideas and get us to play with a bit of flair. The football under Ince is dull, uninspiring and inaffective. If we are going to go down next season I would rather go down swinging than playing Inceball.

Let's have some names then. Tell me, who can we get in, to take this club forward and achieve some form of success, where, lets be honest, fighting off relegation is success.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 09:20

Where did this Bowen as DoF thing come from? Is it just a throwaway comment?

I’d take him back there - I liked his approach to it first time and seemed to be sorting some issues out

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 09:24

Hound Where did this Bowen as DoF thing come from? Is it just a throwaway comment?

I’d take him back there - I liked his approach to it first time and seemed to be sorting some issues out

reports that he's not staying on at Wimbledon, as hes taking a job upstairs at a team higher in the football pyramid. People have put 2+2 together. No actual reports that its us though.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 09:25

paultheroyal
NathStPaul God...... Another "We can't do better than Ince so lets just hire him" argument.

Let's have some names then. Tell me, who can we get in, to take this club forward and achieve some form of success, where, lets be honest, fighting off relegation is success.

Tony Mowbray
Mark Warburton
Chris Hughton
John Terry
Michael Carrick

The last two names are of course unproven entities so definitely a risk to hire them but I would rather face the great unknown than the dour and miserable football that a Paul Ince team brings us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2022 09:41

Doubt Hughton will be on anyones list after the Forest debacle

A Bowen and Warburton/Mowbray hook up I could definitely get behind

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 09:43

Hound Doubt Hughton will be on anyones list after the Forest debacle

A Bowen and Warburton/Mowbray hook up I could definitely get behind

I think there is clearly a decent manager there based upon his previous record, any decent manager can have a bad time at a club. I look at Brighton when he took over. Struggling team, relegation threatened and a weak squad. He got the best out of a bad bunch and they went and got promotion eventually. Not saying he'd get us promoted but I don't think we'd be in any relegation danger with him at the helm.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 May 2022 10:19

Just curious what Ince could have done this season with the squad that he inherited, the squad that has been failing for years. He could only work with what he had and he achieved his goal.

Is there any chance with the potential summer clear out and mass recruitment that he could assemble a squad that does play with a bit of flair, that isn't dull, uninspiring and inaffective? Or do we think that dull, uninspiring and inaffective is the only style Ince is capable of playing?

I'm not saying Ince is necessarily the answer but he may be better than we think, for example what was his style at his previous clubs?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 May 2022 10:25

morganb

Just curious what Ince could have done this season with the squad that he inherited, the squad that has been failing for years. He could only work with what he had and he achieved his goal.

Is there any chance with the potential summer clear out and mass recruitment that he could assemble a squad that does play with a bit of flair, that isn't dull, uninspiring and inaffective? Or do we think that dull, uninspiring and inaffective is the only style Ince is capable of playing?

I'm not saying Ince is necessarily the answer but he may be better than we think, for example what was his style at his previous clubs?

There are things he could have done differently in the games against Hull, WBA and Luton. We were on the beach and imo the manager sets the tone. If he is noticing that some of the players aren't giving it their all then they should have been replaced. I'd have liked to have seen some of the youngsters come in and try to make an impression along with getting some valuable experience.

If we had lost the last three games in the right way I might see an argument for keeping Ince, we could have really gone for it with no threat of relegation hanging over us and we didn't. We were passive and played with a real lack of urgency and I want a manager who has high standards and expects maximum effort at all times. Based upon the teams recent displays I doubt Ince falls in that catagory.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 09 May 2022 10:33

On the one hand, Ince has done the job put in front of him - turn things around, get the players motivated, avoid relegation. In that respect, he's probably earned himself a good chance at getting the job permanently.

On the other hand, the form since he took over hasn't been fantastic. It's good in comparison with what went before, but that's really only because what went before was so dire.

Next season will be a very different challenge to this season. This season was all about lifting up a group of talented players at rock bottom moral and giving them enough of a boost to pull things together in the final run. Next season will be about building up a new squad almost from scratch and with very little budget.

I'm not convinced that Ince is the best person for the job for next year. He deserves credit for what happened this season, but perhaps the best thing would be to end things on good terms, let him leave with his reputation improved, and go for someone who better matches the task ahead.

Most of all though, what the club really needs is a director of football. Recruitment, both of players and staff, has been all over the place, and there needs to be someone who can take a consistent and long term approach. Especially given the challenges coming along in the upcoming season.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 May 2022 12:09

Again, it's not a question of whether we could do better than Paul Ince, because we obviously could. The question is whether the owners are likely to pick someone who is better. I have no faith in that.

We are also such a basket case currently, that any manager who isn't desperate for a job would probably wait for a better one.

That doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be keeping their options open though.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 May 2022 12:12

tmesis

Again, it's not a question of whether we could do better than Paul Ince, because we obviously could. The question is whether the owners are likely to pick someone who is better. I have no faith in that.

We are also such a basket case currently, that any manager who isn't desperate for a job would probably wait for a better one.

That doesn't mean that the club shouldn't be keeping their options open though.

well lets hope that if the rumours are true that bowen is coming in as DOF, he will be tasked with finding the new manager and not the owners.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 May 2022 12:18

NathStPaul
paultheroyal

Tony Mowbray
Mark Warburton
Chris Hughton
John Terry
Michael Carrick

The last two names are of course unproven entities so definitely a risk to hire them but I would rather face the great unknown than the dour and miserable football that a Paul Ince team brings us.

Didn’t think the style was that bad under Ince. Solidified us on the whole but there was still an attacking threat. Goals obviously dried out the last few games but we’d already done what we’d needed to at that stage

Hughton is a decent manager but it usually takes him a while to get going and he works better with experience and with the uncertainty around the players going/leaving, I don’t think that’s something he’d be afforded

Brighton fans were saying something similar to your last point (I.e awful style of play) before he subsequently got them into the top 6 and then into the automatics so who knows how Ince would do in the long term

130 posts