Reasons to be hopeful?

257 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reasons to be hopeful?

by royalp-we » 31 May 2022 01:04

Well at least the fan base are all getting along :lol:

Tbh all the posts in the thread about little expectation, survival will be a success etc aren’t in line with the harsh reality of football.

Football fans are expectant. They crave success. If we are sat around the lower end of the table come December the majority of our fans will be calling for Ince to be sacked. No point in pretending otherwise.

With some shrewd business I truly do believe we can have a more competitive season. But if we get to May and just about survive yet again, it won’t be viewed a success.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 May 2022 08:06

royalp-we Well at least the fan base are all getting along :lol:

Tbh all the posts in the thread about little expectation, survival will be a success etc aren’t in line with the harsh reality of football.

Football fans are expectant. They crave success. If we are sat around the lower end of the table come December the majority of our fans will be calling for Ince to be sacked. No point in pretending otherwise.

With some shrewd business I truly do believe we can have a more competitive season. But if we get to May and just about survive yet again, it won’t be viewed a success.

Some will see as one, some won't and you are right there will be a vocal enough group demanding Ince goes if we are say 18th to 20th in December - there is a vocal group already who can't wait to see the back of him.

Shrewd business could see us stay out of the relegation conversation but this fan base has to be realistic, this year is about cobbling together a side that can compete and allow us to tread water until we are out from under the restrictions and can be more competitive in the market next summer. Would 21st be success next year, yes and no but it is the absolute minimum requirement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2022 08:20

I think it will be hindsight, but you're right no one likes a relegation fight while its ongoing and if we look in real danger people will be calling for Ince's head.

But, if our squad is obviously weak and thin because we couldn’t spend much money, I think the ire will be more directed at Dai / the FL than Ince.

You can already tell who will be calling for Ince's head in October if we're bottom third.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 May 2022 08:26

Going into the season I think what ever happens this summer I think I will be excited but possibly not hopeful.
If Ince gets a few players in then I will look forward to see how they perform / play.
If he does not - I will look forward to seeing more of the youth progress.

It is all on opinion on what you are hopeful for....I for one am hopeful that we dont have another injury crisis, at least compete and be competitive through the season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 08:49

I'm not sure if it's just the position, but actually the club's results. I know, if you're 18th-21st your results are likely to be poor, but there is a big difference between being 21st under Pauno with 8 defeats on the trot and 21st under Ince and climbing away from danger, in terms of points.

If we hit a run where we don't win for 5+ games, I'd anticipate there would be some demand from supporters for him to go. If we can tick along well enough in 19th, for example, just picking up enough points, then I think most would be satisfied, at least for the season.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 May 2022 13:54

royalp-we With some shrewd business I truly do believe we can have a more competitive season. But if we get to May and just about survive yet again, it won’t be viewed a success.

Every club during the off season is looking to improve their squad. At Championship level importing a large number of new faces and integrating them is a major challenge. Not least that a number of the new additions will flop. That's the nature of recruitment whatever line of business you are in. Creating teams takes time. Something in football which is rarely given these days.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2022 16:19

I remember Peterborough getting relegated on 54 points so we could finish 21st on 55 points and I wouldn’t view that as a bad season.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jun 2022 09:45

I have been accused of being an RTG in the past but I can only see a very grim season ahead. The club are at a low ebb and however good a job Bowen and Ince do I think it will be a massively tall order to effectively have to build a brand new and competitive squad for the coming season. It would not surprise me if at the end of the coming season we end up well adrift at the bottom with 30-35 points.

But if Bowen and Ince can do an amazingly good job, I will be very pleased to be proved wrong.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Jun 2022 10:01

andrew1957 I have been accused of being an RTG in the past but I can only see a very grim season ahead. The club are at a low ebb and however good a job Bowen and Ince do I think it will be a massively tall order to effectively have to build a brand new and competitive squad for the coming season. It would not surprise me if at the end of the coming season we end up well adrift at the bottom with 30-35 points.

But if Bowen and Ince can do an amazingly good job, I will be very pleased to be proved wrong.

noted for future reference

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 10:03

andrew1957 I have been accused of being an RTG in the past but I can only see a very grim season ahead. The club are at a low ebb and however good a job Bowen and Ince do I think it will be a massively tall order to effectively have to build a brand new and competitive squad for the coming season. It would not surprise me if at the end of the coming season we end up well adrift at the bottom with 30-35 points.

Does it have to be a "brand new" competitive squad? What do we actually need? (Just listing a Starting XI for now)

GK
RB Dann Moore McIntyre
Tetek MF
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

That's without any players signing a new contract. I'd anticipate that Yiadom, Hoilett, at least one of Laurent/Rino and Holmes will resign, so that actually leaves us with a matchday squad that may be something like this.

GK
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre LB
Tetek Rino/Laurent
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

Subs: Andresson/CBC, Dann, Hoilett, Moore.

So yes, a lot of places still to fill, but the quality of the team above, filling the missing gaps with even just half decent players in those positions, can be more than competitive in this league next season.

Left Moore in for now, although we'd expect him to move on, but taken Puscas and Southwood out of the equation assuming they move on.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jun 2022 10:15

YorkshireRoyal99

Does it have to be a "brand new" competitive squad? What do we actually need? (Just listing a Starting XI for now)

GK
RB Dann Moore McIntyre
Tetek MF
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

That's without any players signing a new contract. I'd anticipate that Yiadom, Hoilett, at least one of Laurent/Rino and Holmes will resign, so that actually leaves us with a matchday squad that may be something like this.

GK
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre LB
Tetek Rino/Laurent
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

Subs: Andresson/CBC, Dann, Hoilett, Moore.

So yes, a lot of places still to fill, but the quality of the team above, filling the missing gaps with even just half decent players in those positions, can be more than competitive in this league next season.

Left Moore in for now, although we'd expect him to move on, but taken Puscas and Southwood out of the equation assuming they move on.

I just cannot see Laurent staying and we will only keep Rino and Holmes if they don’t get better offers elsewhere. Joao is up for sale as we cannot afford to let him go for free at the end of next season. Many on here want Ejaria sold and Meite is also in the last year of his contact so we would most likely accept any reasonable offer. Cannot see how Moore can stay, even though that could arguably be a good thing - as he is a good player on his day.

It is not even 100% certain that Yids is staying. So it looks to me that we will end up with an almost total rebuild on our hands.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 10:21

What is to say Joao will leave on a free at the end of next season just because his contract is up? He might not do, but nothing to say he will leave, the same applies with Meite.

The top team is without anybody signing on at all, which I find unlikely, which means we'd have 4 first team positions to fill minimum along with squad players as well. We know that we will likely be making around 10 signings this summer anyway, but the players in the top team is still a good enough base to have a competitive squad for this season.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jun 2022 10:23

I'm very much looking forward to being back in the same division as Wycombe, Oxford and maybe even Swindon next year. Re-ignite some of the old rivalries.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2022 10:28

YorkshireRoyal99

GK
RB Dann Moore McIntyre
Tetek MF
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

Perhaps Ince would prefer a different formation. Not one that has been successfull over the past two seasons. A lack of pace being the biggest concern.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 10:32

Lower West
YorkshireRoyal99

GK
RB Dann Moore McIntyre
Tetek MF
Meite AM Ejaria
Joao

Perhaps Ince would prefer a different formation. Not one that has been successfull over the past two seasons. A lack of pace being the biggest concern.

Only based it off what we preferred last season just for a like-for-like comparison, but yes, every possibility we could change our formation, something I would be in favour of.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 10:46

YorkshireRoyal99 What is to say Joao will leave on a free at the end of next season just because his contract is up? He might not do, but nothing to say he will leave, the same applies with Meite.

The top team is without anybody signing on at all, which I find unlikely, which means we'd have 4 first team positions to fill minimum along with squad players as well. We know that we will likely be making around 10 signings this summer anyway, but the players in the top team is still a good enough base to have a competitive squad for this season.

If you think Joao will sign a new deal then you must think we are going up - no way he stays - he'll be 30 in September '23 so probably has one pay day left, which he won't get here.

Currently, I'll be mildly surprised if we see him a Reading shirt again.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 12:16

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 What is to say Joao will leave on a free at the end of next season just because his contract is up? He might not do, but nothing to say he will leave, the same applies with Meite.

If you think Joao will sign a new deal then you must think we are going up - no way he stays - he'll be 30 in September '23 so probably has one pay day left, which he won't get here.

It may all be trivial anyway as apparently Norwich, Watford, Burnley and Middlesbrough are all interested in taking Joao off us this summer, which would be a massive blow. I'd take a good couple of million for him though with him being in the last year of his contract.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2022 12:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

It may all be trivial anyway as apparently Norwich, Watford, Burnley and Middlesbrough are all interested in taking Joao off us this summer, which would be a massive blow. I'd take a good couple of million for him though with him being in the last year of his contract.

Unless he makes it clear he wants out 2m is just not worth it - as it gives us little to nothing to reinvest in future. I am OK with selling but it has to be worthwhile at the same time. Unless, as said saving his 15k pw allows us to make 2 decent free agent/loan signings.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jun 2022 12:43

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded

Unless he makes it clear he wants out 2m is just not worth it - as it gives us little to nothing to reinvest in future. I am OK with selling but it has to be worthwhile at the same time. Unless, as said saving his 15k pw allows us to make 2 decent free agent/loan signings.

Will be on a salary far higher than £15k a week. Probably one of the highest earners left. If we are unable to offload Puscas then letting Joao go might be the best option. Then structure the team to play to Puscas's strengths. Puscas is far less injury prone and would at least be a consistant presence throughout the season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Jun 2022 13:31

Lower West
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

Will be on a salary far higher than £15k a week. Probably one of the highest earners left. If we are unable to offload Puscas then letting Joao go might be the best option. Then structure the team to play to Puscas's strengths. Puscas is far less injury prone and would at least be a consistant presence throughout the season.

I'm not sure he is on a wage higher than £15k a week, not significantly anyway. The only real "overpaid" earner that we need to move on is Moore, the rest are pretty reasonably paid at this level.

257 posts