Pre-season games 2022/2023

351 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pre-season games 2022/2023

by Zip » 19 Jul 2022 21:52

blythspartan I know it’s only preseason but things already look more promising than they have done in recent years.

Yes agreed. I think he will go into the new season as a fitter squad too. We started pre season early and hopefully that will benefit the squad.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2022 21:54

tmesis Yes. Qatar got the nod on the condition that they would build stadiums with a/c, so it could be played in the summer. Then, once the brown envelopes had made their journeys to the correct back pockets, the promise was conveniently forgotten and the cup was moved to winter.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/news/dr-cool-the-mastermind-behind-qatar-2022-s-air-cooled-stadiums

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Jul 2022 21:59

Hound
karbota
Hound I don’t see any players refusing to play here in the heat either tbh

We’ve played World Cup games in stifling conditions and got on with it for example

With this specified game just don’t think there’s much to be gained from doing it, and arguably asking public to travel when been told not to unless absolutely necessary

Bullshit Link please.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... g-forecast

TFL Government FFS, a heatwave lockdown???

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Jul 2022 22:03

From Despair To Where?
tmesis Yes. Qatar got the nod on the condition that they would build stadiums with a/c, so it could be played in the summer. Then, once the brown envelopes had made their journeys to the correct back pockets, the promise was conveniently forgotten and the cup was moved to winter.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/news/dr-cool-the-mastermind-behind-qatar-2022-s-air-cooled-stadiums

In 2022, stadiums will be cooled to a comfortable 18-24 degrees Celsius. So if the ambient temp is only going to be 20-24C it won't be needed!. What's your point?

East Ding Divvy

by East Ding Divvy » 19 Jul 2022 22:04

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Jul 2022 22:16

tmesis
Millsy
Stranded
We get 1 or 2 days over 40c per year here, it is absolutely fcuking horrific. Literally walking to the end of the road feels like running a marathon, and that is with a dry heat - add any humidity to it and the air feels like a wall. It is horrible and anyone trying to downgrade it to "it's just summer", can take a seat (not in the shade) and shut it.

Some countries that have those temperatures regularly have built infrastructure to cope i.e. everything is air conned or even moves underground but the key thing is, in countries where it is regularly hotter than 40c, people don't go outside unless they need to. Life shifts later in the day than it does in the UK i.e. dinner is at 10pm not between 5 and 7pm.

But I know for a fact people play football matches in very hot conditions with stadiums far far less capable than ours.

I accept we have a humid heat, which isn't as nice but we're not the only humid country.

We should just face the fact that we are relatively soft and move on. On the flip side we can deal with the cold much better.

We're nowhere near being 'a humid country'. Go outdoors in the hot months in any far east country, and the climate is much worse than this for playing in, and they do still often play at 3 pm too, although usually later.

More bullshit, humidity in the UK is usually much higher than most ME desert counties for example in November Qatar will be around 66% and the UK around 82%.

31C with the sun setting really shouldn't be a big issue at all. It's a friendly, so it'll be half-paced with loads of substititions anyway.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2022 22:18

Happy with the nice 2-0 there

Does seem a positive pre season so far. Obvs still a few players short though

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 19 Jul 2022 22:22

karbota
tmesis
Millsy
But I know for a fact people play football matches in very hot conditions with stadiums far far less capable than ours.

I accept we have a humid heat, which isn't as nice but we're not the only humid country.

We should just face the fact that we are relatively soft and move on. On the flip side we can deal with the cold much better.

We're nowhere near being 'a humid country'. Go outdoors in the hot months in any far east country, and the climate is much worse than this for playing in, and they do still often play at 3 pm too, although usually later.

More bullshit, humidity in the UK is usually much higher than most ME desert counties for example in November Qatar will be around 66% and the UK around 82%.

31C with the sun setting really shouldn't be a big issue at all. It's a friendly, so it'll be half-paced with loads of substititions anyway.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 19 Jul 2022 22:54

Look out, we have an expert!

You strike me as the type who would love a middle East holiday karbot

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Jul 2022 01:36

It’s actually widely acknowledged by the big tech AC manufacturers that we do indeed live in a humid climate, just as most of Central Europe. It’s exactly why AC is difficult to crack over here when compared to Eastern / Southern continents. We focus on heating and not breathing buildings or indoor air quality which isn’t serving us well as temperatures reach a record high.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jul 2022 08:51

Good performance last night and nice to tick off a new ground. The half time rain was a laugh too.

Was impressed with the cameo from Yasin Ben El-Mhanni too - an interesting career so far and 26 years old. Imagine he would be a good risk-free signing.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 08:55

Zip
blythspartan I know it’s only preseason but things already look more promising than they have done in recent years.

Yes agreed. I think he will go into the new season as a fitter squad too. We started pre season early and hopefully that will benefit the squad.

Agree with both and our results have been good as well. I know we should be beating lower league opposition like AFC Wimbledon and Maidenhead, but it looks better that we actually did and did so with relative ease in both games, battled to a solid draw against a strong West Ham side and were competitive with a regular CL side in Benfica, losing out because of a lack of quality.

But it definitely does look more promising, I can remember pre-season's in recent memory where we were struggling against sides we should have been beating.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Jul 2022 09:44

I think this year players actually have something to prove in preseason rather than it just being an exercise in building up fitness.

I do like the fact that we've been quite decisive with trialists. I think Wickham only hung around as insurance for the Long deal. Hutchinson is the only one who's really spent a decent length of time here and he's signed. This bodes well for BOO and the fact NGW and El Mhanni are still here suggests they may also sign.

The rest seem to have been jettisoned pretty quickly.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 20 Jul 2022 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 09:47

From Despair To Where? I think this year players actually have something to prove in preseason rather than it just being an exercise in building up fitness.

Yeah there is that as well, the club has already been written off this season as it is.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jul 2022 09:58

From Despair To Where? I think this year players actually have something to prove in preseason rather than it just being an exercise in building up fitness.

I do like the fact that we've been quite decisive with trialists. I think Wickham only hung around as insurance for the Long deal. Hutchinson is the only one who's really spent a decent length of time here and he's signed. This bodes well for BOO and the fact NGW and El Mhanni are still here suggests they may also sign.

I was thinking this earlier, at the start of the window I was worried that we'd grasp and claw at any player. But we seem to having a good look at the options we had on trial. It bodes well that Ince and Bowen are taking recruitment seriously and maybe taking the stance of no player is better than the wrong player.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jul 2022 10:00

YorkshireRoyal99
But it definitely does look more promising, I can remember pre-season's in recent memory where we were struggling against sides we should have been beating.

I remember a preseason a few years back under Sir Steve where we were absolutely useless, even lost to Farnborough
Got 106 points that season…..

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2022 10:29

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

I remember a preseason a few years back under Sir Steve where we were absolutely useless, even lost to Farnborough
Got 106 points that season…..

There you go then. Not that I'm expecting us to blitz the league again or anything, but I genuinely think we might be in for a better season than what most would believe.

Pre-season is just that, but there seems to be a lot more structure to the team now and it's just about plugging gaps with the players we need and just establishing that squad depth. Every signing we have made so far seems to be proving to be successful at least, but obviously it's very early stages yet.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Jul 2022 10:32

It's been the best pre-season for a while for sure. The team are gelling well. Makes it more hopeful that we'll get off to a good start in the league. We'll need it!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2022 10:37

Suspect if NGW and El Mhanni are still here against Brighton we’ll take them on.

Also pleased to see we did make decisions quickly on the others.

Reckon we’ll keep a couple of loans handy for August to cover for any glaring weaknesses when we start the season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see another midfielder come in

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2022 10:41

Royal_jimmy It's been the best pre-season for a while for sure. The team are gelling well. Makes it more hopeful that we'll get off to a good start in the league. We'll need it!

Our first 2 games are very winnable. I expect this board to be on cloud 9 or in utter meltdown after them.

351 posts