Confirmed - Lumley Signs

121 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Confirmed - Lumley Signs

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 10:55

Joe Lumley Welcome to Joe Lumley. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. Looks like the negative brigade have their first victim already. I have also seen an alternative highlights reel where he has made some outstanding saves.

He has multiple Player of the month awards at his various loan clubs, kept 9 clean sheets in 17 games when at Blackpool and we have signed a keeper from a team who were challenging for the play offs. He is also a great club ambassador and does a lot of community work.

Welcome Joe - hope you are a great success.

Hi Joe

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 20 Jun 2022 11:10

my mate who lives round here is from middlesborough and says he is utterly oxf*rd atrocious and we will probably go down now

he loves running out his box

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 20 Jun 2022 11:11

paultheroyal Welcome to Joe Lumley. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. Looks like the negative brigade have their first victim already. I have also seen an alternative highlights reel where he has made some outstanding saves.

He has multiple Player of the month awards at his various loan clubs, kept 9 clean sheets in 17 games when at Blackpool and we have signed a keeper from a team who were challenging for the play offs. He is also a great club ambassador and does a lot of community work.

Absolutely irrelevant to me and any other Reading supporter at the moment as he is a loan player
If he plays shit then he can oxf*rd off back up to Cheshire or wherever it is they are

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 11:12

SouthDownsRoyal
Joe Lumley Welcome to Joe Lumley. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. Looks like the negative brigade have their first victim already. I have also seen an alternative highlights reel where he has made some outstanding saves.

Hi Joe

It has taken 5096 posts but you've finally made me laugh. Congrats bro.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 11:31

For those with their knickers in a twist about the criticism of Lumley, why are you equating honestly held opinions about him with not wanting him to do well? Of course everyone wants him to do well but we also have eyes and have seen Lumley play, in my case on numerous ocassions. He just isn't very good, what do you want me or others to say?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jun 2022 11:40

NathStPaul For those with their knickers in a twist about the criticism of Lumley, why are you equating honestly held opinions about him with not wanting him to do well? Of course everyone wants him to do well but we also have eyes and have seen Lumley play, in my case on numerous ocassions. He just isn't very good, what do you want me or others to say?

zackly

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 11:51

I think he'll do well. Misfits and those written off have a great record for this club. The closest I remember to this level of dissatisfaction with a signing was Ian Harte, and that turned out OK.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jun 2022 12:09

For me the biggest disappointment as I've said over and over isn't just that he is rubbish - who knows he may surprise us and not be rubbish after all. The disappointment is that we need someone positively GOOD or at the very minimum someone who is error-free. Not bad, not good. Just solid. No major drama, saves what is expected to be saved, commands relatively well, no concerns of making repeated cockups. Think early Rafael for example. I'd say we want someone actually GOOD in a relegation battle but concede that is unlikely given our constraints so just "not rubbish" I'd reluctantly accept . But getting someone we hope will not be as rubbish as has been reported? Seems nuts.

As I say, let's be positive. He's here, with different defenders, different manager, different situation, different playing style. Big lad. I'll get behind him and sing his name for sure. Obviously want him to turn it round!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Jun 2022 12:15

NathStPaul For those with their knickers in a twist about the criticism of Lumley, why are you equating honestly held opinions about him with not wanting him to do well? Of course everyone wants him to do well but we also have eyes and have seen Lumley play, in my case on numerous ocassions. He just isn't very good, what do you want me or others to say?

Tbh I enjoy reading all the different opinions that’s what a forum is all about. It shows we all care and it’s made my Monday morning at work less oxf*rd boring.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 12:18

blythspartan

Tbh I enjoy reading all the different opinions that’s what a forum is all about. It shows we all care and it’s made my Monday morning at work less oxf*rd boring.

Which is how it should be, I don't get people taking personal offence to player opinions. I think all of us saying that Lumely isn't up to it will love to be wrong about it too.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jun 2022 12:27

Millsy For me the biggest disappointment as I've said over and over isn't just that he is rubbish - who knows he may surprise us and not be rubbish after all. The disappointment is that we need someone positively GOOD or at the very minimum someone who is error-free. Not bad, not good. Just solid. No major drama, saves what is expected to be saved, commands relatively well, no concerns of making repeated cockups. Think early Rafael for example. I'd say we want someone actually GOOD in a relegation battle but concede that is unlikely given our constraints so just "not rubbish" I'd reluctantly accept . But getting someone we hope will not be as rubbish as has been reported? Seems nuts.

As I say, let's be positive. He's here, with different defenders, different manager, different situation, different playing style. Big lad. I'll get behind him and sing his name for sure. Obviously want him to turn it round!

Most/every goalkeeper at this level will have made errors at some point, probably a couple every season minimum. I understand the point, but people who want Southwood just want the same problems as last year. At least with Lumley we are getting a more experienced goalkeeper, that should hopefully resolve our issues of goalkeeping issues from crosses and set pieces given his stature and style of play and is probably an equally good shot stopper as well.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jun 2022 12:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy For me the biggest disappointment as I've said over and over isn't just that he is rubbish - who knows he may surprise us and not be rubbish after all. The disappointment is that we need someone positively GOOD or at the very minimum someone who is error-free. Not bad, not good. Just solid. No major drama, saves what is expected to be saved, commands relatively well, no concerns of making repeated cockups. Think early Rafael for example. I'd say we want someone actually GOOD in a relegation battle but concede that is unlikely given our constraints so just "not rubbish" I'd reluctantly accept . But getting someone we hope will not be as rubbish as has been reported? Seems nuts.

Most/every goalkeeper at this level will have made errors at some point, probably a couple every season minimum. I understand the point, but people who want Southwood just want the same problems as last year. At least with Lumley we are getting a more experienced goalkeeper, that should hopefully resolve our issues of goalkeeping issues from crosses and set pieces given his stature and style of play and is probably an equally good shot stopper as well.

Not going to regurgitate myself but yes let's hope he does well.
Last edited by Millsy on 20 Jun 2022 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 12:39

I think some on here are hoping he browses hobnob and likes their posts

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 12:40

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
I agree with this. I am pretty sure Bowen and Ince know his shortfalls and maybe with the right coaching they feel that they can reduce his errors. If Southwood leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a much more experienced older keeper as backup who may also be used as a coach.

We can't afford to bloat the squad with keepers. We've got limited spaces and barely any midfield or left backs.

We currently have four including Southwood. Maybe if he goes and one of Boyce-Clarke or Andresson go out on loan.

Mind you, if those lowlights and the boro fans are anything to go by we'll be signing a new No 1 or have Andresson starting by mid-September.

Shocked to see stranded looking on the bright side despite the evidence pointing the other way. :lol:

Ince's only track record on keepers here is signing Nyland. Not exactly promising.

Yep shock horror - I'm not judging a player until he has played for us. As has been mentioned before, you look at some of our keeper signings who went on to be good for us and on signing a lot would have been aghast. Al Habsi was a clown, Hahnemann was 3rd or 4th choice at Fulham and not rated at all by the fans there, Hislop signed from the US college system - there are probably more.

I will never get the outlook of slagging off or writing off a signing before he has even had a training session with us. If he turns out to be shocking, then fair enough, but there are so many variables that can make a keeper play poorly that simply changing clubs may make that difference - perhaps he was living away from family and was struggling as a result? I don't know and his past career is not really of any interest to me.

It's endearing if occasionally frustrating.

You don't have to see someone play to callout whether they're a good or bad signing. You should always remember that apparently good signings can turn out bad on the pitch and apparently bad signings can really step it up and pass muster. Those ways round are just less likely.

I was just particularly enjoying you taking two negatives - Lumley having a concentration issue (not really any evidence of that) and our defence being rubbish, and that adding up to a positive because he won’t have time to lose concentration. That's a special kind of optimism. :lol: :lol:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jun 2022 12:40

SouthDownsRoyal

I think a couple of people might actually be his agent.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jun 2022 12:43

NathStPaul
SouthDownsRoyal

:mrgreen:

And maybe Joe has multiple log ins, Simmops styley

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 12:45

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
I agree with this. I am pretty sure Bowen and Ince know his shortfalls and maybe with the right coaching they feel that they can reduce his errors. If Southwood leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a much more experienced older keeper as backup who may also be used as a coach.

We can't afford to bloat the squad with keepers. We've got limited spaces and barely any midfield or left backs.

We currently have four including Southwood. Maybe if he goes and one of Boyce-Clarke or Andresson go out on loan.

Mind you, if those lowlights and the boro fans are anything to go by we'll be signing a new No 1 or have Andresson starting by mid-September.

Shocked to see stranded looking on the bright side despite the evidence pointing the other way. :lol:

Ince's only track record on keepers here is signing Nyland. Not exactly promising.

CBC and Andresson have rarely featured for our first team, I'm not sure I'd include them as part of our "squad" as they are coming through. I'd say we have 2 keepers at this point, Lumley and Southwood. We could easily integrate one of CBC or Andresson to our squad and send the other our on loan.

Not sure about the limited spaces either, as far as I can see, we can have a squad of 25 just like everyone else unless that's changed?

Clubs generally aren't restricted to 25. We were last season, maybe again. And our budget certainly restricts us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 12:52

Millsy

zackly

It seems unless you welcome every signing as the messiah you're a boo boy on a witch hunt. Regardless of positive or negative signs.

The argument that there are positive highlight reels out there is laughable. All keepers, even really bad ones, make good saves. Most good keepers do not make that volume of errors in what looked like one season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2022 12:56

NathStPaul
SouthDownsRoyal

In his defence, Paul only loves him because I criticised him

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2022 13:15

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal We can't afford to bloat the squad with keepers. We've got limited spaces and barely any midfield or left backs.

Yep shock horror - I'm not judging a player until he has played for us. As has been mentioned before, you look at some of our keeper signings who went on to be good for us and on signing a lot would have been aghast. Al Habsi was a clown, Hahnemann was 3rd or 4th choice at Fulham and not rated at all by the fans there, Hislop signed from the US college system - there are probably more.

I will never get the outlook of slagging off or writing off a signing before he has even had a training session with us. If he turns out to be shocking, then fair enough, but there are so many variables that can make a keeper play poorly that simply changing clubs may make that difference - perhaps he was living away from family and was struggling as a result? I don't know and his past career is not really of any interest to me.

It's endearing if occasionally frustrating.

You don't have to see someone play to callout whether they're a good or bad signing. You should always remember that apparently good signings can turn out bad on the pitch and apparently bad signings can really step it up and pass muster. Those ways round are just less likely.

I was just particularly enjoying you taking two negatives - Lumley having a concentration issue (not really any evidence of that) and our defence being rubbish, and that adding up to a positive because he won’t have time to lose concentration. That's a special kind of optimism. :lol: :lol:

Just putting forward possible reasoning for him being "shit" but as I've stated many times - a GK does not get to play over 100 games at this level (when only 24 can play at any given time) and be shit. He has an error in him clearly but he obviously has qualities that have seen him picked for that number of games by at least 3 managers at 2 clubs.

121 posts