Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:14

NathStPaul Yeah I'm sure we will be able to pick up some fantastic midfielders for 8k a week.

Just remember where Luton finished with the squad they had. Higher wages doesn't necessarily mean better players.....also can mean someone who has a bit of pedigree who people think are good but actually aren't. We have had our fair share of those.

But hey, we could pick up a player like Aluko, because we all know he was very good as his wages were more than £8k a week.....

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jun 2022 17:19

Wycombe Royal
NathStPaul Yeah I'm sure we will be able to pick up some fantastic midfielders for 8k a week.

Just remember where Luton finished with the squad they had. Higher wages doesn't necessarily mean better players.....also can mean someone who has a bit of pedigree who people think are good but actually aren't. We have had our fair share of those.

But hey, we could pick up a player like Aluko, because we all know he was very good as his wages were more than £8k a week.....

And look at Stam’s mob - that was done cheaply in his first season and look how well we did

If anything, as you allude to, going for expensive players had the opposite effect

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Jun 2022 17:19

Hound
Laurent a good player who lacked discipline and a bit of quality, Rino injury prone and average. They won’t be massively missed. There should be free agents and loans about who can better fit a system and improve on their showings

Is Rino injury prone? I know he was out for 2 chunks last season but I dont remember him being injured much if ever before that?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:21

URZZZZ
Wycombe Royal

And look at Stam’s mob - that was done cheaply in his first season and look how well we did

If anything, as you allude to, going for expensive players had the opposite effect

I get a bit uncomfortable when people agree with me, and you've done it twice in a very short space of time.... :lol:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2022 17:22

Had the pair of them signed new deals you'd all be celebrating. The only reason Rinomhota and Laurent are being rubbished by some is because they are leaving.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:24

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal You don't mind tying yourself in knots do you.

Rino's been rubbish for 18 months, but he barely played, but we didn't miss him but we were rubbish in midfield.

:lol: :lol:

Or you can spin it to make it sound like something it's not?

Laurent has been poor for 18 months bar the last 10-ish games under Ince, Rino has barely played and when he was, hasn't been great.

But yes, we didn't miss someone who hasn't played well, when available, that's usually how it works. It's not like Rino every came in and we were suddenly good again.

Hasn't Josh Laurent only been at the club 24 months? He's been poor for 18 of those months? Are you sure about that?

And was PotS first time out wasn’t he?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:24

NathStPaul Had the pair of them signed new deals you'd all be celebrating. The only reason Rinomhota and Laurent are being rubbished by some is because they are leaving.

I'd have liked to have kept Rino, but not bothered by Laurent in the slightest.

This has been a relegation threatened team with Swift, Rino and Laurent in the midfield. Might as well be a relation threatened team with cheaper players in their place.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:24

NathStPaul Had the pair of them signed new deals you'd all be celebrating. The only reason Rinomhota and Laurent are being rubbished by some is because they are leaving.

I'd have liked to have kept Rino, but not bothered by Laurent in the slightest.

This has been a relegation threatened team with Swift, Rino and Laurent in the midfield. Might as well be a relation threatened team with cheaper players in their place.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:25

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Or you can spin it to make it sound like something it's not?

Laurent has been poor for 18 months bar the last 10-ish games under Ince, Rino has barely played and when he was, hasn't been great.

But yes, we didn't miss someone who hasn't played well, when available, that's usually how it works. It's not like Rino every came in and we were suddenly good again.

Hasn't Josh Laurent only been at the club 24 months? He's been poor for 18 of those months? Are you sure about that?

To be fair, the competition wasn't great. And as I said before the fans love a player who runs around a lot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:27

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul Hasn't Josh Laurent only been at the club 24 months? He's been poor for 18 of those months? Are you sure about that?

To be fair, the competition wasn't great. And as I said before the fans love a player who runs around a lot.

In a season we finished 7th with a striker who got ~19 goals.

There's some fairly heavy history re-writing going on here.

The fans also love a player who falls over his own feet doing step overs and almost never runs. :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:28

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal And was PotS first time out wasn’t he?

Yes we finished 7th but we stumbled our way to that and weren't great for a large part of the season. Plus I didn't say there wasn't any competition. But the thing with Joao was he was out injured a bit and scored a lot of goals in a purple patch.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Jun 2022 17:31

To get the squad back to last years levels, going by number of players to play 5+ matches, I think we now need:
1 x CB
4 x CM
1 x AM
3 x Winger
2 x FB
1 x CF

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 17:36

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal To be fair, the competition wasn't great. And as I said before the fans love a player who runs around a lot.

Yes we finished 7th but we stumbled our way to that and weren't great for a large part of the season. Plus I didn't say there wasn't any competition. But the thing with Joao was he was out injured a bit and scored a lot of goals in a purple patch.

His purple patch was about 25 30 games. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2022 17:52

I’d have been fairly happy with Laurent and not bothered by Rino tbh

Yes two gaps we need to fill but let’s remember they were part of a failing midfield

Both solid enough but we watched them outpassed, outmoved and outmuscled week after week last season

More than happy to try someone else. And we will find them, be it on loan or on a free

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jun 2022 18:25

Hound

I’d have been fairly happy with Laurent and not bothered by Rino tbh

Yes two gaps we need to fill but let’s remember they were part of a failing midfield

Both solid enough but we watched them outpassed, outmoved and outmuscled week after week last season

More than happy to try someone else. And we will find them, be it on loan or on a free

Our midfield was far too easily bypassed last season. I think that was more down to the way Paunovic had us set up rather than individual player failure. Having said that Rino is limited but at his best is effective at breaking up play and winning his tackles.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jun 2022 18:28

I would rather Laurent and Rino were staying tbh. When the retained list was made public, which included the players we had offered new contracts to I think it was fairly unanimous that we thought the club had got it pretty spot on.

The problem is that the whole team have been abysmal for the last 18 months and whilst I have been calling for a complete overhaul of the squad I honestly don’t see how we can do better than Laurent and Rino given our current situation. We are going to be mostly counting on loan signings and free agents who are probably low down on the lists of our rivals.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 19:11

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal In a season we finished 7th with a striker who got ~19 goals.

His purple patch was about 25 30 games. :lol:

He scored 11 in the first 16 games, then was out injured for 6 matches, then scored, then scored 6 goals in 8, followed by 2 goals in the last 16 matches (one of those was missed through injury.

So it was two purple patches (broken up by injury and then a really bad run.

I'm not even sure why I bothered with that.....my original point was there wasn't much competition for Laurent that season, most players were bang average and Joao's run of 2 goals in 16 at the end of the season was never going to get him the award.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jun 2022 19:50

We're fcuked.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 22:10

genome We're fcuked.

I missed this :D

Zip