Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Lower West » 05 Aug 2022 17:11

Stranded
morganb Full-back Imari Samuels has today joined Brighton & Hove Albion
https://mobile.twitter.com/ReadingFC/st ... 1569636357

Can't say no to a Prem move but a strange one when the view at the club was that he would move to get first team football - can't imagine he'll get near the first team there, certainly not this year.

Premier clubs buy up younger players with the sole intention of selling them in a few years time for a profit. It’s been the business model of Man City and Chelsea for many years. Now with the money that’s washing around other clubs are copying. Getting harder and harder for Championship sides to compete, As talent doesn’t stay long enough to reach maturity with their home club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2022 17:12

Sidelining of good young players continues.

Why use a promising home grown player, when you can sign a 32 year old from a lower league and try to sign someone with a mixed record you can’t afford because you refused good money for someone else you signed for far too much.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Aug 2022 17:21

Snowflake Royal Sidelining of good young players continues.

Why use a promising home grown player, when you can sign a 32 year old from a lower league and try to sign someone with a mixed record you can’t afford because you refused good money for someone else you signed for far too much.

Makes zero sense to me. It would be ok if Dorsett’s loan to Killie was until Christmas and if successful bring him back for the second half of the season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Aug 2022 18:01

Zip Dorsett should have been given a chance in the friendlies. If Kilmarnock think he is good enough to play in the SPL....

… it means he probably isn’t ready for the Championship :wink:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Aug 2022 19:16

Ince clearly doesn’t think Dorsett is ready yet. I just wonder whether this means he’s confident of signing Sarr. A Brum fan at work has now backed up something I was told last weekend which was Sarr was spotted at Kenilworth Road last Saturday.

Anyone know how much compensation we’ll get for Samuels. I just wondered if it would be enough to get the Sarr deal over the line?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2022 19:24

Funny how many of our 'aren't ready for the Championship' young players go on to play there, or equivalent, successfully elsewhere.

10 games in the Championship with us > 20 games in the SPL with Kilmarnock for his development imo.

Same with Camara, should be getting minutes.

Reckon Clarke has a good chance of scoring as many as Long, as he did with Carroll, if given game time too. Although he probably could do with a loan at a lower level before being called on too much here.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Aug 2022 19:27

blythspartan Ince clearly doesn’t think Dorsett is ready yet. I just wonder whether this means he’s confident of signing Sarr. A Brum fan at work has now backed up something I was told last weekend which was Sarr was spotted at Kenilworth Road last Saturday.

Anyone know how much compensation we’ll get for Samuels. I just wondered if it would be enough to get the Sarr deal over the line?

I think he problem seems to be our wage bill, which I can fully understand considering we still have £45k-per-week salaries sitting around as deadwood, considering that is probably 15% of our total wage bill in the squad as well.

I think it was obvious from last week when Ince was talking about young kids who need experience, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a few more end up out on loan before the window is out, depending on who comes in. Clarke will probably be one, providing Ince can sign the striker he's been looking at getting. Hopefully a couple of others can get 40+ games somewhere as well. Kilmarnock is a good loan for Dorsett though, getting another 40 games would be of massive benefit for him and having close to 100 senior appearances at his age will stand him in good stead for next season, no matter what division we are playing in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Aug 2022 19:30

Snowflake Royal Funny how many of our 'aren't ready for the Championship' young players go on to play there, or equivalent, successfully elsewhere.

10 games in the Championship with us > 20 games in the SPL with Kilmarnock for his development imo.

Reckon Clarke has a good chance of scoring as many as Long, as he did with Carroll, if given game time too. Although he probably could do with a loan at a lower level before being called on too much here.

I know what you are saying but, let's be fair, if these players (namely Clarke and Camara) aren't getting any minutes in a game like Blackpool, where we needed more bodies going forward as we were chasing the game, we may be best off just sending them out on loan for consistent game time and minutes.

Particularly as Clarke and Camara will rarely start games, it may be best for them to go and get 30/40 games elsewhere, even L1/L2 level for a season, impress, and then come back in next year a better player, rather than a dozen sub appearances in games at this level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2022 19:38

Who was the last Reading Academy graduate to go out on loan and properly break into the first team?

Southwood, obviously, but that was a bit of a failure.
Olise - borderline qualifies as Academy really and no
Rinomhota - no
Richards - no
Holmes - no
McIntyre - no
Liam Kelly - no
Cooper - no
Hector - yes - but whoscored says no, which makes the rest of these possibly wrong.

List of successful Academy brrakthroughs following a league (Scotland too, at least SPL and div 1) loan anyone?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2022 19:43

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Funny how many of our 'aren't ready for the Championship' young players go on to play there, or equivalent, successfully elsewhere.

I know what you are saying but, let's be fair, if these players (namely Clarke and Camara) aren't getting any minutes in a game like Blackpool, where we needed more bodies going forward as we were chasing the game, we may be best off just sending them out on loan for consistent game time and minutes.

Particularly as Clarke and Camara will rarely start games, it may be best for them to go and get 30/40 games elsewhere, even L1/L2 level for a season, impress, and then come back in next year a better player, rather than a dozen sub appearances in games at this level.

That's basically accepting crap management so you might as well send them out. I think they can do better than a dozen sub appearances, and that playing less at a higher level is just as good.

Look at Olise - gradually forced his way into a regular. Or Richards - same deal. Or Rinomhota, although he went from half a season to two thirds to a full one so a bit quicker off the bat. Had we not been desperate, and with a manager willing to take chances, I expect Rino would have left for L1 and have passed us, just like Dickie etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2022 20:16

Kelly was on loan at Bath wasn’t it?

Tshibola the only other one I can think of off the top of my head

Though don’t know by your definition of these are included

Fwiw not a massive fan of the loans out - but it can and seemingly does for some players - ie that Brennan Johnson chap

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Aug 2022 21:56

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

That's basically accepting crap management so you might as well send them out. I think they can do better than a dozen sub appearances, and that playing less at a higher level is just as good.

Look at Olise - gradually forced his way into a regular. Or Richards - same deal. Or Rinomhota, although he went from half a season to two thirds to a full one so a bit quicker off the bat. Had we not been desperate, and with a manager willing to take chances, I expect Rino would have left for L1 and have passed us, just like Dickie etc.

There's no point getting into specific examples really as for the one's we can name, we could probably name dozens more where it hasn't worked out as well. But your point about going down to L1 and then passing us is exactly why some should go out on loan, so they can go down to L1, improve and impress and then be on the up with us. Handy clubs like Wycombe, Oxford and Swindon that are local and is a good level to play at, that's where we want our best youngsters going for a season. Ultimately, it's a player-by-player basis though, it won't work for every player, some players it might though.

Olise, Richards, Rino etc it may work (baring in mind Richards wasn't thrown in like the others) but for some like Cooper, Dickie, Stacey, Fosu etc it has worked where they can drop down for a season or two and work their way (back) up again, particularly if they either aren't trusted or simply aren't capable at this level yet, which is what Ince seems to be alluding to.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Aug 2022 06:33

My only concern with Dorsett going on loan is that, unless not announced, we only triggered a 1 year extension. So we are loaning him out until the end of his deal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2022 06:42

Yes no mention of extension was there?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Aug 2022 08:29

Excellent. Another one lost to poor management.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2022 08:45

Stranded My only concern with Dorsett going on loan is that, unless not announced, we only triggered a 1 year extension. So we are loaning him out until the end of his deal.

Exactly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2022 12:21

It seems odd to loan him out if not extended

Southwood clearly not rated and was free to leave. But Dorsett? Either they’ve decided surprisingly that he isn’t good enough already or they will extend. Obvs they’ll be fully aware of his contract situation

Can’t imagine it’s a huge saving on wages at all and he is significantly more experienced than the likes of Holzman and Stickland

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Aug 2022 13:55

I'd say we probably need 3/4 more signings and our squad will probably be set for the season then.

Sarr, another LB, Omari Huctinson (or someone in that position) and another forward and I reckon we are probably just about there.

Will all be made a lot easier if we can move on Moore and Puscas quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2022 18:57

That's a lot of CBs... Holmes, McIntyre, Dann, Hutchinson, Sarr, Moore, AN Other, then back up from Yiadom, Clarke, Stickland and Abbey.

I know we're playing 3, but that's excessive.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2022 19:26

Snowflake Royal That's a lot of CBs... Holmes, McIntyre, Dann, Hutchinson, Sarr, Moore, AN Other, then back up from Yiadom, Clarke, Stickland and Abbey.

I know we're playing 3, but that's excessive.

Dann is never fit, according to those ITK Moore will never play for us again. If Yiadom is seem as centre back cover that weakens is at RB and Clarke and Strickland are not really going to be there this season.
So in reality that would be 5 plus Abbey and reliant on some mix of Hutchinson and Dann staying fit.

1554 posts