Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 19:54

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
The Royal Forester I don't think a club can recall their players out on loan, either. But, can the club who they are loaned to cancel their contract and send them back to their parent club? Perhaps that way we could let the loanee move to another club, but would his club be able to block the move?

The parent club would be able to recall their player if there was a condition to do so, but I don't think that can happen outside the transfer window, unless it's an emergency, in which they wouldn't be selling said player anyway.

I think it works in reverse as well, where we can cancel a loan players' deal if there is a condition between us and the parent club to do so, which I'm assuming there is both an agreement to recall a player or cancel a loan between both us and the parent clubs of the respective player, based on Bowen's comments.

I was under the impression you can't recall a season long loan to your team, but perhaps you can sell them to a different club, ending the loan agreement that way? Especially if the loan club is willing to play ball.

League rule 56.1 (if I remember rightly :wink: ). Clubs can insert a recall clause but it can only be invoked during the winter transfer window, except under exceptional circumstances (long term injury usually).
I would guess in theory a club could return a loanee at any time but they’d probably still have to pay wages and the loanee wouldn’t be able to play for their parent club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Oct 2022 11:23

Just thought it'd be useful to have another round up of the current state of play of contracts for the Reading first team squad:

Name (age at expiry of current permanent contract)

Contracted until mid January 2023

1. Andy Carroll (34) > contracted until 14 January 23
  2. Amadou Mbengue (21) > contracted until 12 January 23

Contracted until 30 June 2023

1. Scott Dann (36)
  2. Nesta Guinness-Walker (23)
  3. Junior Hoilett (33)
  4. Lucas Joao (29)
  5. Shane Long (36)
  6. Yakou Méïté (27)
  7. Liam Moore (30)
  8. Dejan Tetek (20)

Loan players

1. Joe Lumley (28) - (currently contracted to Middlesbrough until 30 June 2023)
  2. Tyrese Fornah (24) - (currently contracted to Forest until 30 June 2024)
  3. Jeff Hendrick (32) - (currently contracted to Newcastle until 30 June 2024)
  4. Mamadou Loum (27) - (currently contracted to Porto until 30 June 2024)
  5. Baba Rahman (29) - (currently contracted to Chelsea until 30 June 2024)

Contracted until 30 June 2024

1. Kelvin Abrefa (20)
  2. Femi Azeez (23)
  3. Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan (21)
  4. Ovie Ejaria (26)
  5. Sam Hutchinson (34)
  6. Tom McIntyre (25)
  7. George Puscas (28) (currently on loan at Genoa until June 2023)

Contracted until 30 June 2025

1. Dean Bouzanis (34)
  2. Mamadi Camará (21)
  3. Tom Holmes (25)
  4. Tom Ince (33)
  5. Andy Yiadom (33)

Contracted until 30 June 2026

1. Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr (32)

Other leading youngsters are thought to be contracted as follows:

Name - position - (age at expiry) - expiry date

1. Nelson Abbey - Central Defender - (21) - 30 June 2024
  2. Jokull Andresson - Goalkeeper - (22) - 30 June 2024
  3. Coniah Boyce-Clarke - Goalkeeper - (20) - 30 June 2023
  4. John Clarke - Left Back - (19) - June 2023
  5. Jamari Clarke - Striker - (20) - 30 June 2023
  6. Michael Craig - Defensive Midfielder - (20) - 30 June 2023
  7. Jerial Dorsett - Central Defender - (20) - 30 June 2023 (currently on loan at Kilmarnock)
  8. Louie Holzman - Central Defender - (20) - 30 June 2023
  9. Kian Leavy - Central Midfielder - (21) - 30 June 2023
  10. Nahum Melvin-Lambert - Striker - (20) - 30 June 2023
  11. Claudio Osorio - Attacking Midfielder - (20) - 30 June 2023
  12. Michael Stickland - Central Defender - (19) - 30 June 2023

Believe the following is the actual current 25 man squad that the FL say Reading have and shows the club currently have no free spaces which fits in with what the club say. Two places will currently be freed up in the squad in January when the deals for Carroll and Mbengue expire (they may of course be re-signed at that point):

1. Abrefa
  2. Azeez
  3. Bouzanis
  4. Camara
  5. Carroll
  6. Dann
  7. Ejaria
  8. Fornah
  9. Hendrick
  10. Hoilett
  11. Holmes
  12. Hutchinson
  13. Ince
  14. Joao
  15. Long
  16. Loum
  17. Lumley
  18. McIntyre
  19. Mbengue
  20. Meite
  21. Moore
  22. Rahman
  23. Sarr
  24. Tetek
  25. Yiadom

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Oct 2022 11:39

Based on that so far, the players I'd like to be re-signed on (and would possibly be realistic) would be Carroll, Mbengue, NGW, Hoilett, Joao, Meite and Long (a further one-year deal). Moore and Dann can go, Tetek has something to prove yet.

I'd like us to try and pick up Lumley on a free if possible, I also think we might be ok to see if Fornah is available for transfer from Forest and he might be a relatively cheap option, depending on their circumstances depending on the division they play in next season. I'd also get behind activating an existing clause to purchase Loum, although it's a pretty costly transfer and would rely on us selling Puscas (ideally) just to help cover the cost of the deal. Hendrick and Rahman I'd say are probably unrealistic transfer options, unless they take a massive hit on wages.

From the youngsters, I'd like Dorsett, CBC, both Clarke's, Craig, Holzman, Osorio and Stickland to remain. The rest we can wait to see how the season plays out for now.

Puscas looks like the only likely outgoing from our squad in the summer. There may be interest for one or two other players, Holmes seems to get linked with a move quite often and Forest may want him again should they come down, could possibly get a good deal there, Southwood may also be moved on as well etc.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 25 Oct 2022 12:31

Is the deal for Loum set at a €5m buy out?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Oct 2022 15:20

Not sure Joao will be re-signed if Pince is still manager at the end of the season. Just think he's the wrong type of player (luxury v workhorse) for the style that Ince wants to play in the Championship.

I'd not spend €5m on Loum either. Decent enough, but not €5m decent

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Oct 2022 15:51

Reportedly so yes, which works out at around £4.34m (could all change come June time with the erratic value of the pound at the minute). I think Puscas' obligation to buy (assuming Genoa are promoted) is around £3.04m, so a net spend on Loum would be about £1.3m, which I think would represent a decent deal for the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2022 17:51

3points Not sure Joao will be re-signed if Pince is still manager at the end of the season. Just think he's the wrong type of player (luxury v workhorse) for the style that Ince wants to play in the Championship.

Loum has a lot of potential, but given our circumstances he'd have to romp the rest of the season to justify that amount imo. I don’t think he justifies much above £1.5m if that at the moment.

Joao's probably worth an offer even if just to make a show of trying to get value for him.

His time does seem numbered given his suitability to our current approach and the sheer number of people waiting to get on his back at any opportunity though.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Oct 2022 19:02

Bouzanis 3 year contract? Assumed he was on a year at best....and we have good keepers coming through too

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Oct 2022 20:55

Mid Sussex Royal Bouzanis 3 year contract? Assumed he was on a year at best....and we have good keepers coming through too

Cheap and offers experience which will mean a keeper like CBC can head off on loan next year.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Oct 2022 08:57

Snowflake Royal
3points Not sure Joao will be re-signed if Pince is still manager at the end of the season. Just think he's the wrong type of player (luxury v workhorse) for the style that Ince wants to play in the Championship.

Loum has a lot of potential, but given our circumstances he'd have to romp the rest of the season to justify that amount imo. I don’t think he justifies much above £1.5m if that at the moment.

Joao's probably worth an offer even if just to make a show of trying to get value for him.

His time does seem numbered given his suitability to our current approach and the sheer number of people waiting to get on his back at any opportunity though.

I think we are all "waiting" for him to get back firing again, which just doesn't seem to be happening. Whether that's because his personal traits just don't suit how we are wanting to play now, or its other issues, is up for debate but we know his quality can win us a game and he is a massive threat.

He has been largely inconsistent this season, but of course a player of his quality is always worth an offer providing it's not a ridiculous offer.

Given that Loum's transfer in may happen with Puscas' transfer out, I think it would be a decent deal for us really. Clearly a talented player, probably just needs time to adjust to the league and the demands as it's far different to that of the Spanish/Portuguese top leagues. I also think he would be a good player to keep in our midfield for continuity, he's good enough to be starting for us for sure.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Oct 2022 16:05

Sam Hutchinson aiming to be ready for PNE on Friday
Femi Azeez back in full training
Liam Moore did running outside and was given a ‘round of applause’ by the whole squad on his return
Yiadom back available
The team will also be going on a warm weather training trip to Tenerife during the World Cup next month

From PInce press conference.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2022 12:45

Hendo Sam Hutchinson aiming to be ready for PNE on Friday
Femi Azeez back in full training
Liam Moore did running outside and was given a sarcastic ‘round of applause’ by the whole squad on his return
Yiadom back available
The team will also be going on a warm weather training trip to Tenerife during the World Cup next month

From PInce press conference.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Oct 2022 14:19

I think Joao and Meite are in the top 4 highest paid players at the club. We can't realistically keep both and I think I'd rather keep Meite. Moore, Puscas, Joao and Meite apparently account for £80k a week in wages.

Would like to see Carroll and Mbengue extend, maybe 18 month deals. Of the other players OOC in the summer,I'd resign NGW, Meite and Hoilett as well as Long and Tetek depending on fitness.

Of the loanees, I'd definitely sign Lumley and try to get Fornah at least on another year loan. Don't think we can afford Hendrick or Rahman and Loum hasn't yet shown enough IMO to be worth €5m.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2022 14:26

From Despair To Where? I think Joao and Meite are in the top 4 highest paid players at the club. We can't realistically keep both and I think I'd rather keep Meite. Moore, Puscas, Joao and Meite apparently account for £80k a week in wages.

Would like to see Carroll and Mbengue extend, maybe 18 month deals. Of the other players OOC in the summer,I'd resign NGW, Meite and Hoilett as well as Long and Tetek depending on fitness.

Of the loanees, I'd definitely sign Lumley and try to get Fornah at least on another year loan. Don't think we can afford Hendrick or Rahman and Loum hasn't shown enough IMO to be worth €5m.

I think there's space for both if Moore and Puscas goes... that takes it down from around £80k to £25k - £35k, which is more reasonable for two players.

We would need to switch up how we play though. I quite fancy a front 3 of Ince, Joao, Meite. Think that could cause a lot of problems.

Think the back 3/5 is excessive personally.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2022 14:28

Doesn’t really sound like baba is an option - was all about trying to get him playing for the wc to attract interest apparently

Joao - he’s knocking on a bit now - obvs be nice to keep him but not at a high wage. Ideally keep Meite

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Oct 2022 14:32

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? I think Joao and Meite are in the top 4 highest paid players at the club. We can't realistically keep both and I think I'd rather keep Meite. Moore, Puscas, Joao and Meite apparently account for £80k a week in wages.

Of the loanees, I'd definitely sign Lumley and try to get Fornah at least on another year loan. Don't think we can afford Hendrick or Rahman and Loum hasn't shown enough IMO to be worth €5m.

I think there's space for both if Moore and Puscas goes... that takes it down from around £80k to £25k - £35k, which is more reasonable for two players.

We would need to switch up how we play though. I quite fancy a front 3 of Ince, Joao, Meite. Think that could cause a lot of problems.

Joao would be top earner. He would need to be a guaranteed starter to justify the outlay and we would need to build the team around him. I don't see it happening.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2022 14:54

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

Joao would be top earner. He would need to be a guaranteed starter to justify the outlay and we would need to build the team around him. I don't see it happening.

TBH there's no reason we couldn't build a team around him. There aren't many players in our squad we can really build a team around imo. He'd be a top earner but not an excessive one if he was delivering. Hence why we'd have to adapt how we play so we the best of him again.

No problem with him going if it's part of a sensible planned rebuild though. He's done his time, it's not currently working brilliantly for him but he's been a very valuable player to us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2022 10:09

Reading can not add to their squad in the January window unless players leave first as the club is only allowed a 25 man squad of players with 3 apps or more at Championship (or equiv) level. I believe the 25 is currently comprised of the following players:

1. Lumley
  2. Bouzanis
  3. Holmes
  4. Hutchinson
  5. McIntyre
  6. Sarr
  7. Loum
  8. Rahman
  9. NGW
  10. Hoilett
  11. Ejaria
  12. Joao
  13. Carroll
  14. Long
  15. Fornah
  16. Yiadom
  17. Dann
  18. Meite
  19. Hendrick
  20. Ince
  21. Mbengue
  22. Abrefa
  23. Moore
  24. Camara
  25. Tetek

Paul Ince has already made it clear he wants to re-sign both Carroll and Mbengue when their current deals expire (on 12 and 14 Jan respectively - their last Reading game therefore might be the cup game with Watford or league game at WBA) so presuming that does happen then Reading will not sign anyone in January.

Most likely departures I’d say would be 1) Moore on loan somewhere but given his serious injury and lack of game time that may well be unlikely and 2) Andy Carroll not re-signing though he is also reported as saying he’s enjoying his time here and would like to stay. Can’t see anyone making a move for other players, esp those out of contract in the summer. On top of that PI has stated he does not want to sell Tom Ince or Lucas Joao.

So the best thing that we can probably hope for from January might simply be the revitalisations of Liam Moore and Ove Ejaria (and PI has intimated he wants Ovie fit again as his son, Tom, is a “winger not a midfielder” and wants the option that Ovie would bring in that area).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Dec 2022 10:37

Sutekh Reading can not add to their squad in the January window unless players leave first as the club is only allowed a 25 man squad of players with 3 apps or more at Championship (or equiv) level. I believe the 25 is currently comprised of the following players:

1. Lumley
  2. Bouzanis
  3. Holmes
  4. Hutchinson
  5. McIntyre
  6. Sarr
  7. Loum
  8. Rahman
  9. NGW
  10. Hoilett
  11. Ejaria
  12. Joao
  13. Carroll
  14. Long
  15. Fornah
  16. Yiadom
  17. Dann
  18. Meite
  19. Hendrick
  20. Ince
  21. Mbengue
  22. Abrefa
  23. Moore
  24. Camara
  25. Tetek

Paul Ince has already made it clear he wants to re-sign both Carroll and Mbengue when their current deals expire (on 12 and 14 Jan respectively - their last Reading game therefore might be the cup game with Watford or league game at WBA) so presuming that does happen then Reading will not sign anyone in January.

Most likely departures I’d say would be 1) Moore on loan somewhere but given his serious injury and lack of game time that may well be unlikely and 2) Andy Carroll not re-signing though he is also reported as saying he’s enjoying his time here and would like to stay. Can’t see anyone making a move for other players, esp those out of contract in the summer. On top of that PI has stated he does not want to sell Tom Ince or Lucas Joao.

So the best thing that we can probably hope for from January might simply be the revitalisations of Liam Moore and Ove Ejaria (and PI has intimated he wants Ovie fit again as his son, Tom, is a “winger not a midfielder” and wants the option that Ovie would bring in that area).

Abrefa, Camara and Tetek out on loan somewhere?
We seem to have a fair amount in terms of numbers for their positions so one or more of those going out on loan frees up the option of bringing in others doesn't it?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2022 10:47

South Coast Royal
Sutekh Reading can not add to their squad in the January window unless players leave first as the club is only allowed a 25 man squad of players with 3 apps or more at Championship (or equiv) level. I believe the 25 is currently comprised of the following players:

1. Lumley
  2. Bouzanis
  3. Holmes
  4. Hutchinson
  5. McIntyre
  6. Sarr
  7. Loum
  8. Rahman
  9. NGW
  10. Hoilett
  11. Ejaria
  12. Joao
  13. Carroll
  14. Long
  15. Fornah
  16. Yiadom
  17. Dann
  18. Meite
  19. Hendrick
  20. Ince
  21. Mbengue
  22. Abrefa
  23. Moore
  24. Camara
  25. Tetek

Abrefa, Camara and Tetek out on loan somewhere?
We seem to have a fair amount in terms of numbers for their positions so one or more of those going out on loan frees up the option of bringing in others doesn't it?

Would agree but previously there doesn’t seem to have been much will or interest from either Reading or other clubs in getting season/half season loans set up for “leading” outfield youngsters.

Personally I’d hope something can be worked out as decent loans for those players could only improve them in my opinion.

1554 posts