Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by bcubed » 07 Oct 2022 16:50

samesies

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Oct 2022 16:47

I know he probably has to say it, but I would love it if he stayed on until the end of the year and maybe even next year as well!

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-andy-carroll-future-25255212

Reading FC striker Andy Carroll says he is eager to prolong his stay at the club beyond the end of his contract which expires in the middle of January.

The 33-year-old was brought in by boss Paul Ince on a four-month contract last month having been a free agent.

"I would love to," he replied when asked if he would like to stay at the club beyond the end of his current deal. "I think that's what I would want to do. I enjoyed it the first time [I was at Reading] and I'm enjoying it the second time. Hopefully, it's a lot longer than what's in the contract at the minute. I'm enjoying coming into training every day and getting fitter and fitter."

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Oct 2022 16:56

Hopefully that becomes a reality, I reckon offering him an 18-month deal in January would be about ideal, although would depend on shifting Moore I reckon and what we can try and get off the wage bill there.

Might have to be structured differently due to our restrictions though i.e. a new deal until the end of the current season and then on July 1st a further 12 months.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2022 08:09

YorkshireRoyal99 Hopefully that becomes a reality, I reckon offering him an 18-month deal in January would be about ideal, although would depend on shifting Moore I reckon and what we can try and get off the wage bill there.

Might have to be structured differently due to our restrictions though i.e. a new deal until the end of the current season and then on July 1st a further 12 months.

Definitely think to the end of next season would be ideal, wouldn’t have thought it’d be an issue with the FL if terms were more or less the same esp. as the club get back the rumoured £30k pw currently going out for Moore next summer (if not sooner).

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Oct 2022 13:45

contract until the end of the season with an option to extend (at the club's behest) for next year as well

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Oct 2022 13:50

Interesting Bowen's comments in Get Reading saying basically all loanees and those on short term permanent contracts have a verbal agreement then can go in Jan if something better comes along

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Oct 2022 14:07

Back row (l-r): Ollie Harrington, Ray Holland, Kelvin Abrefa, Dejan Tetek, John Clarke, Femi Azeez, Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan, Jack Senga, Nelson Abbey, Nesta Guinness-Walker, Michael Craig, Amadou Mbengue, Callum Stratford, Chris Douglas.

Middle row (l-r): Alex Forsey, Matt Walker, Danny Flitter, Tyrese Fornah, Ovie Ejaria, Naby Sarr. Mamadou Loum, Andy Carroll, Jokull Andresson, Joe Lumley, Dean Bouzanis, Coniah Boyce-Clarke, Lucas Joao, Scott Dann, Baba Rahman, Liam Moore, Jeff Hendrick, Luke Bishop, James Hooper, Tom Baskerville, Dr Bhavesh Kumar.

Front row (l-r): Josh Bowen, Shane Long, Yakou Meite, Tom McIntyre, Andy Yiadom, Mark Bowen, Alex Rae, Paul Ince, James Oliver-Pearce, Tony Warner, Tom Holmes, Tom Ince, Sam Hutchinson, Junior Hoilett, Matt Hirons.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Oct 2022 14:11

Mid Sussex Royal Interesting Bowen's comments in Get Reading saying basically all loanees and those on short term permanent contracts have a verbal agreement then can go in Jan if something better comes along

I can understand that. Maybe a bit strange with the loans but it seems as if we are treating players as if we are a stepping stone club again (which is precisely what we should be) rather than the club who splashes out on big, flashy transfers and looking to be the club who can keep hold of our better players and pay them the big wages.

At the moment, I'd imagine the loanees are satisfied with how they and we are performing at the moment and probably wouldn't feel like moving on and would probably stay until the loan is up and hopefully, we can tie a couple down at the end of the season once restrictions are done.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2022 14:12

Mid Sussex Royal Interesting Bowen's comments in Get Reading saying basically all loanees and those on short term permanent contracts have a verbal agreement then can go in Jan if something better comes along

So that's Carroll, Mbengue, Lumley, Hendrick, Rahman, Fornah and Loum.

However I thought season long loans were just that - season long so the parent club can't recall them (or perhaps that's only outside of actual transfer windows). Be :lol: if 'boro decided to recall Lumley in January if that is the case.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 14:39

Sutekh

However I thought season long loans were just that - season long so the parent club can't recall them (or perhaps that's only outside of actual transfer windows). Be :lol: if 'boro decided to recall Lumley in January if that is the case.

Carroll and Mbengue are only on contracts to January anyway.
Aren’t Hoilett, Long and NG-W only on a 1 year deal too ?
Can’t actually see it being a major issue.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Oct 2022 14:45

Stranded So - if I am getting this correct then the permitted players are as follows:

GKs

Lumley
Bouzanis

DEF

Holmes
Hutchinson
McIntyre
Dann
Yiadom
Guinness-Walker
Rahman
Sarr
Moore

MID

Hendrick
Ince
Ejaria
Fornah
Loum
Hoilett

ATT

Joao
Long
Meite
Azeez

I'm not sure if Tetek counts as he is under 21. If he does then that makes 22 players.

So if goes out on loan, we still actually have 4 spots that we could fill - budget restrictions allowing. Am probably missing someone though as sure Ince said we had 3 spots left, so 2 now and 3 if Tetek moves out.

Paper reports suggest we have got the max squad size of 25 but even if we add in Camara, Jahmari Clarke, Tetek and Azeez who I believe have all started 3 games, I still only make that 24. Several of our other youngsters have played more than 3 times but not started 3. Unless we have to include a third keeper?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Oct 2022 14:51

Nameless
Sutekh

It would cause an issue if one of the current loanees decided to move on to pastures new. I wouldn't want of them leaving based on what they've shown so far (not even Rahman, who we've seen little of, because we know he is an ok option at least).

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 15:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
Sutekh

It would cause an issue if one of the current loanees decided to move on to pastures new. I wouldn't want of them leaving based on what they've shown so far (not even Rahman, who we've seen little of, because we know he is an ok option at least).

Obviously, but it seems unlikely. Only situation might be if a player on loan gets offered a perm deal elsewhere but that would be quite unusual. It’s the short term contract players who MIGHT get a more financially rewarding offer, even then I think only NG-W is really the only one someone might fancy as a bargain.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Oct 2022 15:25

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

Obviously, but it seems unlikely. Only situation might be if a player on loan gets offered a perm deal elsewhere but that would be quite unusual. It’s the short term contract players who MIGHT get a more financially rewarding offer, even then I think only NG-W is really the only one someone might fancy as a bargain.

Think the "problem" Bowen was suggesting was potentially this happening in January, which wouldn't happen with NGW, Hoilett or Long unless either someone made us an offer which we accepted or they agreed terms to move at the EOS, which is less of an issue than them leaving mid-season, which could be the case with loan signings.

Obviously Carroll and Mbengue can move on expiry of their short-term deals. I think it would be a blow to lose either and hopefully we are in a position to offer them both long(er)-term deals come January time as well.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Oct 2022 15:40

Sutekh

I don't think a club can recall their players out on loan, either. But, can the club who they are loaned to cancel their contract and send them back to their parent club? Perhaps that way we could let the loanee move to another club, but would his club be able to block the move?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Oct 2022 15:47

The Royal Forester
Sutekh

I don't think a club can recall their players out on loan, either. But, can the club who they are loaned to cancel their contract and send them back to their parent club? Perhaps that way we could let the loanee move to another club, but would his club be able to block the move?

The parent club would be able to recall their player if there was a condition to do so, but I don't think that can happen outside the transfer window, unless it's an emergency, in which they wouldn't be selling said player anyway.

I think it works in reverse as well, where we can cancel a loan players' deal if there is a condition between us and the parent club to do so, which I'm assuming there is both an agreement to recall a player or cancel a loan between both us and the parent clubs of the respective player, based on Bowen's comments.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 16:23

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

Think the "problem" Bowen was suggesting was potentially this happening in January, which wouldn't happen with NGW, Hoilett or Long unless either someone made us an offer which we accepted or they agreed terms to move at the EOS, which is less of an issue than them leaving mid-season, which could be the case with loan signings.

Obviously Carroll and Mbengue can move on expiry of their short-term deals. I think it would be a blow to lose either and hopefully we are in a position to offer them both long(er)-term deals come January time as well.

No idea of your point here !
We signed players on the basis that if they got a better offer in January we would let them go. So any of the players on 1 year deals might fall into that category. It clearly doesn’t apply to Carroll or Mbengue at all
If it doesn’t apply to NG-W, Hoilett and Long it’s a nonissue and wouldn,5 have neem mentioned.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Oct 2022 16:41

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless

We signed players on the basis that if they got a better offer in January we would let them go. So any of the players on 1 year deals might fall into that category. It clearly doesn’t apply to Carroll or Mbengue at all
If it doesn’t apply to NG-W, Hoilett and Long it’s a nonissue and wouldn,5 have neem mentioned.

The point was the vulnerability to losing players on loan in January, something that isn't especially common in a lot of loans these days. Yes, I know players can be recalled and moved on elsewhere, it's just not all that common. Obviously, I know anyone could move in January theoretically.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Oct 2022 17:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99

The point was the vulnerability to losing players on loan in January, something that isn't especially common in a lot of loans these days. Yes, I know players can be recalled and moved on elsewhere, it's just not all that common. Obviously, I know anyone could move in January theoretically.

So you were just restating what had already been established ?
The interesting bit is surely that we signed players on contracts with the agreement that they could go in January. The loan bit is just standard loan contracts, the loss of players actually contracted would be really sad, but if it was the difference between getting them for half a season or not at all then I can live with it.
As I said, I can’t actually see many players bailing out. They will have earned more than they expected anyway.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2022 18:01

YorkshireRoyal99
The Royal Forester
Sutekh

The parent club would be able to recall their player if there was a condition to do so, but I don't think that can happen outside the transfer window, unless it's an emergency, in which they wouldn't be selling said player anyway.

I think it works in reverse as well, where we can cancel a loan players' deal if there is a condition between us and the parent club to do so, which I'm assuming there is both an agreement to recall a player or cancel a loan between both us and the parent clubs of the respective player, based on Bowen's comments.

I was under the impression you can't recall a season long loan to your team, but perhaps you can sell them to a different club, ending the loan agreement that way? Especially if the loan club is willing to play ball.

1554 posts