Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2022 18:33

Stranded
Zip We are not allowed more than 25 senior players. Does Moore count as a senior player? Does Southwood?

I think loans out don't count this year, they did last. Moore will count, which makes his lack of a number surprising.

The fact he's obviously never going to play for us again makes it fairly unsurprising.

You don't come back from being stripped of the captaincy and sent out on loan in disgrace by the owner.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2022 20:58

With Loum, Sarr, NGW all coming this week as well as getting the u23s signed up, think we’ve quietly got ourselves a half decent squad this year

Not sure it’s much of a downgrade on last year’s is it? Obvs we’re about to find out but starting to think we’ll be a bit better than expectations and comfortable mid table

Got it together in good time as well and not a big panic at the end of the window

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2022 21:03

Hound With Loum, Sarr, NGW all coming this week as well as getting the u23s signed up, think we’ve quietly got ourselves a half decent squad this year

Not sure it’s much of a downgrade on last year’s is it? Obvs we’re about to find out but starting to think we’ll be a bit better than expectations and comfortable mid table

Got it together in good time as well and not a big panic at the end of the window

Agreed, next few weeks now is about finding another LB/LWB and then seeing what other opportunities may come.

Do international loans count against the 8 permitted? Seem to think I read that they are treated differently.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2022 21:18

I’m cautiously optimistic that we are going to have a squad more suited to the Championship than last season’s squad.
An experienced left back and an ACM and we should have enough to be really competitive. Given the restrictions this has been a really good effort.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2022 21:26

Really not that bothered about another LB quite yet. NGW isn’t that young and has 3 seasons experience. McIntyre can cover

It’d be useful but can wait for the right opportunity (that might be BOO)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2022 21:35

We lined up with this against Stoke in the first game last year

Rafael
Yiadom morrison Moore McIntyre
Rino Laurent
Azeez swift Bristow
Joao

I know we then brought in Dann, Baba and Drinkwater but have to think we look considerably stronger to start the season at least

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2022 21:39

Agreed Houndy. I really do think our midfield is going to be a lot more physical and combative this time around.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jul 2022 21:59

Nameless
YorkshireRoyal99
Nameless
It’s hard to see how we would be able to offload Moore in a way that frees up any space on the wage bill. We’ll either be paying him off or paying most of his wages as part of a loan deal.

Depends who comes in for him I suppose. Even being able to offload a third to half of his wages would potentially free up another couple of players as well depending on space in the squad and wage demands.

If it's somebody in the MLS as previously reported very early into the summer, it may be possible to offload most/all of his wages. Championship clubs isn't impossible either, particularly subsidising half of his wages, but at much more of a premium of course and he won't play any higher.

He’ll hardly have played for over a year, he will have had several significant injuries, he’ll be a free agent in a few months. Why would anyone take him or even look at him ? Getting him away would only free up one space anyway...

Because he'd still be a good player for somebody of course...

People aren't just going to stay away from him are they.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2022 22:10

No reason why a Championship team won’t come in for Moore come January especially if we are paying half his wages.

Sarr will be signing no 10,Would like to see Hutchinson come in as understudy to Ejaria and another left back. Guinness- Walker wasn’t making the Wimbledon side in the latter part of last season,

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jul 2022 22:19

Hound With Loum, Sarr, NGW all coming this week as well as getting the u23s signed up, think we’ve quietly got ourselves a half decent squad this year

Less flair but a lot more steel and more balance IMO. We will be less of a soft touch.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Jul 2022 06:36

Zip No reason why a Championship team won’t come in for Moore come January especially if we are paying half his wages.

Sarr will be signing no 10,Would like to see Hutchinson come in as understudy to Ejaria and another left back. Guinness- Walker wasn’t making the Wimbledon side in the latter part of last season,

Doesn’t that smack a little of the Nicky Shorey signing ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 07:40

Stranded

Agreed, next few weeks now is about finding another LB/LWB and then seeing what other opportunities may come.

Do international loans count against the 8 permitted? Seem to think I read that they are treated differently.

We've done fairly well to pull together the major changes to fill out the squad and none of the players are obviously awful. But they're also not clearly equal quality or better. There's a vast amount of unknowns.

Lumley could be a downgrade
Bouzanis could be a downgrade
Fornah could be a downgrade
NGW probably is a downgrade
Long is 36 and may barely play or barely score
Hutchinson may not have the legs

We're going to have to rely on young unproven players in the face of many injuries. And it's a big ask for all these new players to gel into a team quickly.

We've given ourselves a good shot, but I think anyone starting to set expectations of a comfortable season could be in for another rude awakening quite easily.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2022 07:50

I think it’s very much down to injuries, have the same as last year and we’ll be in trouble. We’re actually quite a few injuries away from throwing in u23 though, and even then you might be using players like Abrefa, Camara and Clarke who have played a bit

Subs bench will still prob be something along the lines of Fornah, Azeez, Hoilett, long, Hutchinson, Bouzanis, Dann, Puscas possibly before even using Clarke, Ehib, Abrefa, Camara, Dorsett etc

Obvs a lot of unknowns but then there always is. Wouldn’t have expected Rafael to fall off a cliff last year for example

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jul 2022 09:28

Yep, lots of unknowns and it’s difficult to tell if the players signed will be any better. However, we look a much bigger stronger team with better balance than we had last year and I am still expecting 2 or 3 more signings.

I still believe it’ll be a tough season and will always maintain finishing between 18th and 21st will be a success. What gives me more hope is whether Ince is successful or not the infrastructure at the club is much better and I do think Dai is committed to the wellbeing/success of the club. Also, if teams turn up thinking we’re relegation fodder I am hoping they’ll be in for a nasty surprise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 09:57

On the plus side, we're definitely better off on the staff side with Clownovic gone and Bowen back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2022 10:04

Yes though Ince seems to be the main reason most people are tipping us to go down, which feels a little unfair. But suppose we’ll see

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 10:09

Hound Yes though Ince seems to be the main reason most people are tipping us to go down, which feels a little unfair. But suppose we’ll see

But they've seen a gif of him write 'shoot' on a piece of paper, so he's a terrible manager.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Jul 2022 10:15

Hound I think it’s very much down to injuries, have the same as last year and we’ll be in trouble. We’re actually quite a few injuries away from throwing in u23 though, and even then you might be using players like Abrefa, Camara and Clarke who have played a bit

Subs bench will still prob be something along the lines of Fornah, Azeez, Hoilett, long, Hutchinson, Bouzanis, Dann, Puscas possibly before even using Clarke, Ehib, Abrefa, Camara, Dorsett etc

Obvs a lot of unknowns but then there always is. Wouldn’t have expected Rafael to fall off a cliff last year for example

Today's bench may include Scott, Abrefa and Ehib who were apparently travelling with the squad yesterday

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2022 10:23

Zip
Hound I think it’s very much down to injuries, have the same as last year and we’ll be in trouble. We’re actually quite a few injuries away from throwing in u23 though, and even then you might be using players like Abrefa, Camara and Clarke who have played a bit

Today's bench may include Scott, Abrefa and Ehib who were apparently travelling with the squad yesterday

Yep but we know Loum and Sarr will be added to the group for the next game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2022 10:42

Snowflake Royal
Hound Yes though Ince seems to be the main reason most people are tipping us to go down, which feels a little unfair. But suppose we’ll see

But they've seen a gif of him write 'shoot' on a piece of paper, so he's a terrible manager.

Thing is as well which is overlooked I feel is that it’s not just Ince - definitely a management group of Bowen, Eddie, Rae and Ince. 4 vastly experienced coaches. Bowen did a good job for us last time round

As long as they are all pulling in the same direction there is a hell of a lot of know how there. Far more than a lot of other clubs around us and totally different to last season

1554 posts