Squad Watch 2022/23

1554 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Squad Watch 2022/23

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2022 13:14

Brogue QPR, Stoke City and Cardiff City have all tabled offers to Reading’s out of contract midfielder Andy Rinomhota, as per Bristol Live

Stoke need to have some sort of restraining order put on them. Leave us alone!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 13:34

Brogue QPR, Stoke City and Cardiff City have all tabled offers to Reading’s out of contract midfielder Andy Rinomhota, as per Bristol Live

So basically 3 clubs that will all likely be better options than ourselves. Be a shame to lose him along with Laurent and is another body to replace, but not hurting really. Providing we can recruit correctly this summer, we should be ok to replace both him and Laurent. Just a tad concerning to lose our regular midfield trio all in one summer, all on frees as well (but we can't do much about that ultimately).

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jun 2022 13:47

YorkshireRoyal99

So basically 3 clubs that will all likely be better options than ourselves. Be a shame to lose him along with Laurent and is another body to replace, but not hurting really. Providing we can recruit correctly this summer, we should be ok to replace both him and Laurent. Just a tad concerning to lose our regular midfield trio all in one summer, all on frees as well (but we can't do much about that ultimately).

He is apparently training with us so you never know. I hope he decides very soon as we could miss out on potential replacements.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2022 13:48

NathStPaul

Stoke need to have some sort of restraining order put on them. Leave us alone!

They’re welcome to them

Can have Moore back as well

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jun 2022 14:21

IF Rinhomota is training this week then the club must be pretty confident to have him training with us else we are essentially starting to get another sides midfielder ready. I know this year is a bit strange with pre-season starting so early but would be a risk for both parties to have him involved in training at the moment.

As with all the OOC players, I am not too fussed either way but would be pretty happy if he signs up as feel he has a lot of potential to improve still but as we are only a week and a bit away from the main training camp, we need to be able to draw a line under these offers quickly so that we can move on and replace as best we can, ideally in very good time.

With 7 league games before the window closes and 3 or 4 winnable games to open, we can't go into the season still needing to recruit too much.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 14:47

True, he is training with us, hopefully that's a sign that he will sign on, but not disaster if he doesn't, just doesn't seem rational to have him training with us if he was to move elsewhere I suppose.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2022 15:04

How is it not a disaster to lose our starting central midfielders? Seems pretty important to me. Very good chance that whoever we replace Laurent and Rinomhota with won't be as good.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 15:12

Because they've been pants for the best part of 18 months. Rino missed most of last season and we got by without him, albeit barely, and Laurent did pick up under Ince but was a shadow of his former self before that. I remember there being a big uproar when we lost Rino towards the back end of last season as a significant blow (myself included) and we still managed to survive with ease and it never really looked like we missed him either. Only really the Blackpool game where I thought we could have used him, not to mention we've got Tetek breaking through who may prove to be a useful, ready-made replacement alongside a more experienced pro with quality.

As some have mentioned, sometimes it's better to sacrifice (subjective) individual quality for a better team/structure.

The real significant loss is Swift where he was one of the main drivers of making sure we were safe last season, he won't be so easily replaced.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 15:33

YorkshireRoyal99 Because they've been pants for the best part of 18 months. Rino missed most of last season and we got by without him, albeit barely, and Laurent did pick up under Ince but was a shadow of his former self before that. I remember there being a big uproar when we lost Rino towards the back end of last season as a significant blow (myself included) and we still managed to survive with ease and it never really looked like we missed him either. Only really the Blackpool game where I thought we could have used him, not to mention we've got Tetek breaking through who may prove to be a useful, ready-made replacement alongside a more experienced pro with quality.

As some have mentioned, sometimes it's better to sacrifice (subjective) individual quality for a better team/structure.

The real significant loss is Swift where he was one of the main drivers of making sure we were safe last season, he won't be so easily replaced.

You don't mind tying yourself in knots do you.

Rino's been rubbish for 18 months, but he barely played, but we didn't miss him but we were rubbish in midfield.

:lol: :lol:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 15:38

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Because they've been pants for the best part of 18 months. Rino missed most of last season and we got by without him, albeit barely, and Laurent did pick up under Ince but was a shadow of his former self before that. I remember there being a big uproar when we lost Rino towards the back end of last season as a significant blow (myself included) and we still managed to survive with ease and it never really looked like we missed him either. Only really the Blackpool game where I thought we could have used him, not to mention we've got Tetek breaking through who may prove to be a useful, ready-made replacement alongside a more experienced pro with quality.

Rino's been rubbish for 18 months, but he barely played, but we didn't miss him but we were rubbish in midfield.

Or you can spin it to make it sound like something it's not?

Laurent has been poor for 18 months bar the last 10-ish games under Ince, Rino has barely played and when he was, hasn't been great.

But yes, we didn't miss someone who hasn't played well, when available, that's usually how it works. It's not like Rino every came in and we were suddenly good again.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Jun 2022 15:39

Dorsett, Abrefa, Samuels and Abbey all seem to be training with/padding out the first team in the latest video, which suggests the latter 2 have agreed deals.

Dont think there's been any sign of Azeez or Melvin Lambert yet?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2022 15:48

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

Laurent has been poor for 18 months bar the last 10-ish games under Ince, Rino has barely played and when he was, hasn't been great.

But yes, we didn't miss someone who hasn't played well, when available, that's usually how it works. It's not like Rino every came in and we were suddenly good again.

Hasn't Josh Laurent only been at the club 24 months? He's been poor for 18 of those months? Are you sure about that?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 15:52

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal You don't mind tying yourself in knots do you.

Hasn't Josh Laurent only been at the club 24 months? He's been poor for 18 of those months? Are you sure about that?

Fair enough, bit of a stretch going back 18 months, but he was part of a poor midfield during the second half of the season before last. I suppose he wasn't "poor" per say, but not up to the standard he was in the first 6 months, like most of the players though, underperforming nonetheless.

Either way, I don't see the relevance of how long a player has been at the club for. We've had Puscas for 3 seasons (2 and a half taking his loan away this season) and he's been poor for 2 (1 and a half) of them, it happens.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jun 2022 16:26

NathStPaul How is it not a disaster to lose our starting central midfielders? Seems pretty important to me. Very good chance that whoever we replace Laurent and Rinomhota with won't be as good.

Agreed - any nobber who really thinks we can lose Laurent, Swift and Rino and yet have a better team this coming season really is deluded. I can only see a season of struggle ahead. Basically the only players we will be able to sign this summer (apart from ones like Yiadom and Holmes who have some loyalty to the club), will be ones that no decent team wants.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jun 2022 16:40

Laurent is one of those players who looks good and fans love because he is charging all over the pitch getting stuck in wherever he can. He comes across as a team player. But, charging around like that can actually be a hinderance to to his team mates, getting in their way and not being where he should be to receive a pass, make a block, leaving areas of the pitch exposed, etc....

I would much rather have a disciplined midfielder who can hold a formation together and not help us to look like a disorganised rabble on the pitch. Too often he left gaps in the midfield because he had a gone on a charging run somewhere only to lose the ball.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Jun 2022 16:46

andrew1957
NathStPaul How is it not a disaster to lose our starting central midfielders? Seems pretty important to me. Very good chance that whoever we replace Laurent and Rinomhota with won't be as good.

Agreed - any nobber who really thinks we can lose Laurent, Swift and Rino and yet have a better team this coming season really is deluded. I can only see a season of struggle ahead. Basically the only players we will be able to sign this summer (apart from ones like Yiadom and Holmes who have some loyalty to the club), will be ones that no decent team wants.

As mentioned, the significant loss is Swift of the 3 due to his contributions. Laurent was a bit of a stinker because he showed signs of improvement under Ince and did contribute at important times, but even if Rino leaves with him, they are likely to move to similar levels. Laurent has moved to a mid-table team, Rino has been linked mostly with mid-table teams. Good, but not great, players that have underperformed (when available) for us in the main, especially last year. Certainly replaceable, Swift is the difficult one to replace.

If we can buy players that compliment each other and can be better fit into a system, it may still work out well for us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jun 2022 16:50

Wycombe Royal Laurent is one of those players who looks good and fans love because he is charging all over the pitch getting stuck in wherever he can. He comes across as a team player. But, charging around like that can actually be a hinderance to to his team mates, getting in their way and not being where he should be to receive a pass, make a block, leaving areas of the pitch exposed, etc....

I would much rather have a disciplined midfielder who can hold a formation together and not help us to look like a disorganised rabble on the pitch. Too often he left gaps in the midfield because he had a gone on a charging run somewhere only to lose the ball.

Agreed - and maybe Ince saw that too, hence the move to number 10 with less defensive responsibility

Whilst I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Laurent has had a poor 18 months, he certainly hasn’t come close to hitting the heights of his first 6 months here and that probably explains why it’s the likes of Stoke that are interested in him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jun 2022 16:57

andrew1957

And yet aside from the first 6 months of last season and a brief resurgence under Bowen, we’ve struggled for a good 4/5 years now, with the aforementioned trio (certainly the latter two) featuring in a heavy chunk of that

Not saying their individual contributions have been the cause of it (but FWIW think they’ve all been fairly average for a while now, less so Swift) but there’s too much of a losers’ mentality in the squad and so losing the longer serving players, the likes of Moore, Swift, Rinomhota etc may not as big an issue as people think

To reiterate, going to Stoke, West Brom and Cardiff respectively are hardly glowing moves

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2022 17:05

URZZZZ
andrew1957

And yet aside from the first 6 months of last season and a brief resurgence under Bowen, we’ve struggled for a good 4/5 years now, with the aforementioned trio (certainly the latter two) featuring in a heavy chunk of that

Not saying their individual contributions have been the cause of it (but FWIW think they’ve all been fairly average for a while now, less so Swift) but there’s too much of a losers’ mentality in the squad and so losing the longer serving players, the likes of Moore, Swift, Rinomhota etc may not as big an issue as people think

To reiterate, going to Stoke, West Brom and Cardiff respectively are hardly glowing moves

Agreed, hardly a disaster when our midfield has been so poor for a while. Carried by Swift and Olise the year before

Laurent a good player who lacked discipline and a bit of quality, Rino injury prone and average. They won’t be massively missed. There should be free agents and loans about who can better fit a system and improve on their showings

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Jun 2022 17:06

Yeah I'm sure we will be able to pick up some fantastic midfielders for 8k a week.

1554 posts