Tom Ince - Confirmed

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Tom Ince - Confirmed

by South Coast Royal » 22 Jun 2022 16:37

I think he did a good job winning over the fans after an iffy start-that goal helped.
People have been discussing the wing positions but I hope that Ince (Paul) doesn't persevere with his plan of playing Meite through the middle.

Meite is a big lad and looks as though he should be able to play there but I ( and more importantly the manager agrees) hope that experiment gets knocked on the head.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jun 2022 16:48

South Coast Royal I think he did a good job winning over the fans after an iffy start-that goal helped.
People have been discussing the wing positions but I hope that Ince (Paul) doesn't persevere with his plan of playing Meite through the middle.

Meite is a big lad and looks as though he should be able to play there but I ( and more importantly the manager agrees) hope that experiment gets knocked on the head.

Agree here. Think Meite is a more of a threat coming off the flank if he comes central, but even more so he's such an awkward winger to deal with due to his size and power compared to most full backs in this league. He can quite easily get over the top of most full backs and will be a threat at the far post from crosses along with most set pieces. A real asset and one our better players that we need to utilise.

The only other option is Meite as a CF, but in a two, where he has shown he can work previously under Clement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2022 18:02

Elm Park Kid
6ft Kerplunk Lets hope he stays motivated once the fans start calling for his dad to be sacked which is bound to happen at some point in the next 3 years.

You would hope that as long as we're not in the relegation zone that not even the moronic sections of our fans would be getting on P. Ince's back.

If you think fans won't be on a manager's back because they're outside the relegation zone but losing regularly and watching poor performances, you're kidding yourself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2022 18:05

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal I think he did a good job winning over the fans after an iffy start-that goal helped.

Agree here. Think Meite is a more of a threat coming off the flank if he comes central, but even more so he's such an awkward winger to deal with due to his size and power compared to most full backs in this league. He can quite easily get over the top of most full backs and will be a threat at the far post from crosses along with most set pieces. A real asset and one our better players that we need to utilise.

The only other option is Meite as a CF, but in a two, where he has shown he can work previously under Clement.

Don't think it matters whether Meite is wide or central.

What's important is whether he's back to goal or playing towards it.

He doesn't have the touch or awareness to play back to goal.

Feed it in to him so he can run at people and attack crosses and he's dynamite.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Jun 2022 19:15

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

That's all very well and good but if he were to play as a lone striker the job of that player is normally to hold the ball and bring runners into play.
Anyway, we will see and we don't yet know if he is still the powerhouse that he was before the big injury-he wasn't last season in the few appearances made.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 13:01

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

That's all very well and good but if he were to play as a lone striker the job of that player is normally to hold the ball and bring runners into play.
Anyway, we will see and we don't yet know if he is still the powerhouse that he was before the big injury-he wasn't last season in the few appearances made.

Yep, very true on his recovery. There was a couple of great runs but not a lot else.

To be play him as a lone striker effectively, we'd definitely need to change how we play. Reckon he could do it off the shoulder running in behind. Not like Joao though.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Jun 2022 13:18

There is other ways to play lone striker.
just because thats the way Joao plays doesn't mean that thats the only way. A coherent, structured and disciplined midfield 5 can do all the link up play while the CF occupies the CB with good movement.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Jun 2022 13:58

Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal Don't think it matters whether Meite is wide or central.

Yep, very true on his recovery. There was a couple of great runs but not a lot else.

To be play him as a lone striker effectively, we'd definitely need to change how we play. Reckon he could do it off the shoulder running in behind. Not like Joao though.

Yes, and to get crosses in also at pace from wide we need wingers to play to their strengths, on the right for a right-footed player, on the left for a left-footed player.
They then would tend to attack the defender on the outside and cross away from the keeper rather that what happens with wrong-sided wingers is that they cut inside, often slowing the game down and give the advantage to the keeper when the ball ends up in their domain as he can see it all the way and decide easily whether or not to stay on his line.

Football is such a simple game really and it would be even easier if players were two footed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 15:30

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
South Coast Royal

Yes, and to get crosses in also at pace from wide we need wingers to play to their strengths, on the right for a right-footed player, on the left for a left-footed player.
They then would tend to attack the defender on the outside and cross away from the keeper rather that what happens with wrong-sided wingers is that they cut inside, often slowing the game down and give the advantage to the keeper when the ball ends up in their domain as he can see it all the way and decide easily whether or not to stay on his line.

Football is such a simple game really and it would be even easier if players were two footed.

Yeah, I'd have had Ince and Hoilett swapped and crossing. Plus beat Yiadom with a big foam stick until he started crossing regularly.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 20:49

Anyone remember an interview with Pauno where he said Meite asked to play centrally?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2022 21:32

Meite actually got himself into ours and Clemente good books initially by playing CF iirc. He can do it, but yeah coming in off the right has generally where he’s looked best

Not too sure why ince favours that right wing when he is so left footed though. Would rather him go on the outside and get crosses in really

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 21:37

NewCorkSeth Anyone remember an interview with Pauno where he said Meite asked to play centrally?

Seth!!!!!

Was Bowen wasn't it. And scored a couple from the wing the next game and Bowen said that should shut him up for a couple of weeks.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 21:39

Hound Meite actually got himself into ours and Clemente good books initially by playing CF iirc. He can do it, but yeah coming in off the right has generally where he’s looked best

Not too sure why ince favours that right wing when he is so left footed though. Would rather him go on the outside and get crosses in really

Ince has said about himself "I am not a traditional winger who looks to get crosses in" I believe. He's an inside forward by default given he's not really an out and out striker. I agree Meite is better as a wide forward or winger but I seem to recall him asking to play centrally.

All this is due to me thinking a back 3 makes so much sense for us this coming season with Yiadom being far superior as a wing back and Holmes and McIntyre needing a bit of cover as CBs. That would ideally lead to a 3-4-1-2 in my head meaning something like this:

-------------------Lumley
-------Holmes--Dann--McIntyre
Yiadom----------------------------NEWLB
-------------Tetek?----NEWCM
--------------------Ejaria
------------Meite---------Joao

Which kinda works? On paper? I guess?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 21:41

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Anyone remember an interview with Pauno where he said Meite asked to play centrally?

Seth!!!!!

Was Bowen wasn't it. And scored a couple from the wing the next game and Bowen said that should shut him up for a couple of weeks.

Ooooh you may be right! Sorry I've been gone for a while! Too depressed with the season. Have obviously been invigorated with new season optimism that is completely unfounded..

Looking to come over for a game in August to see my dad so will be around for Pints I hope!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 21:45

Hound Meite actually got himself into ours and Clemente good books initially by playing CF iirc. He can do it, but yeah coming in off the right has generally where he’s looked best

My recollection is that it was a front three, with him right, Baldock left and someone else.

Looking at his goals in 18/19 it looks to be a mix of him, mainly with Baldock, and then usually one of McCleary, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Ejaria or Oliveira.

So could well have been the central one. I don't think he'd have been playing with his back to goal much though either way.

On Ince, typical modern winger. Wants to cut inside and shoot. No one really wants to provide any more.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 21:47

Snowflake Royal

My recollection is that it was a front three, with him right, Baldock left and someone else.

Looking at his goals in 18/19 it looks to be a mix of him, mainly with Baldock, and then usually one of McCleary, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Ejaria or Oliveira.

So could well have been the central one. I don't think he'd have been playing with his back to goal much though either way.

On Ince, typical modern winger. Wants to cut inside and shoot. No one really wants to provide any more.

"Thats for fullbacks".

Is Meite best with his back to goal? I always think of him more as a player who needs a bit of space and a foolish LB to underestimate how strong he is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 21:50

NewCorkSeth

Ince has said about himself "I am not a traditional winger who looks to get crosses in" I believe. He's an inside forward by default given he's not really an out and out striker. I agree Meite is better as a wide forward or winger but I seem to recall him asking to play centrally.

All this is due to me thinking a back 3 makes so much sense for us this coming season with Yiadom being far superior as a wing back and Holmes and McIntyre needing a bit of cover as CBs. That would ideally lead to a 3-4-1-2 in my head meaning something like this:

I'll renew my objection that Holmes, McIntyre, Dann is way to slow for that. They either sit deep and get run at, which they can't handle, or stay high and get beaten by pace in behind.

And Yiadom doesn't want to cross, and we've just signed a quick winger who is the manager's son, so you know he'll play.

If we had a different defence and weren't allergic to crossing, sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2022 21:53

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

"Thats for fullbacks".

Is Meite best with his back to goal? I always think of him more as a player who needs a bit of space and a foolish LB to underestimate how strong he is.
That's the exact opposite of what I've been saying. He's baaaaad with back to goal. Get him attacking crosses, charging in behind or running at people

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2022 21:53

Snowflake Royal

Seth!!!!!

Yep welcome back Seth :)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jun 2022 21:53

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

I'll renew my objection that Holmes, McIntyre, Dann is way to slow for that. They either sit deep and get run at, which they can't handle, or stay high and get beaten by pace in behind.

And Yiadom doesn't want to cross, and we've just signed a quick winger who is the manager's son, so you know he'll play.

If we had a different defence and weren't allergic to crossing, sure.

I accept that completely, however, I'd rather have 3 slow CBs than 2. Andy started to cross in Ince's last few games.. he might be capable of it if we can keep Joao in the oxf*rd box..

I'll renew my objection that Ince is a terrible signing that should never have been made.