MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

300 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by URZZZZ » 26 Jul 2022 16:01

Snowflake Royal This will not be the line up, but is what I'd prefer.

Lumley
Yiadom, Holmes, Hutchinson, McIntyre
Fornah, Hendrick
Meite, Ince, Hoilett
Joao

Azeez for Joao if not fit.

I’d go with that - an opportunity to be flexible in the game too - with the potential to go 4-4-2 and pushing Ince wide, or the 5-3-2 and pushing Hoilett as a LWB

Fully expect Ejaria to start - aside from Brighton, had a steady pre season but this really has to be the season for him, excuses have ran out with Swift and Olise gone

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 Jul 2022 16:10

I'd prefer a shot to nothing game against a team going for automatic promotion than a relegation 6 pointer to start the season.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Jul 2022 16:19

After our visit there last season I'm not hopeful. I think our team is weaker than last season and the limited squad changes will help Blackpool, plus they are always good at home.

It will be interesting to see how the new players shape up, but I'll be happy if enough trains run to get me there and back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2022 17:17

PieEater After our visit there last season I'm not hopeful. I think our team is weaker than last season and the limited squad changes will help Blackpool, plus they are always good at home.

It will be interesting to see how the new players shape up, but I'll be happy if enough trains run to get me there and back.

Was that the 4-1? I just remember them not being particularly convincing despite the score line.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Jul 2022 17:19

Gunny Fishcake The quality of these reviews are quite outstanding, thank you Sutekh

+1

Along with the release of the fixture list, the return of MATCHWATCH indicates that football is back!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Jul 2022 19:52

NewCorkSeth
PieEater After our visit there last season I'm not hopeful. I think our team is weaker than last season and the limited squad changes will help Blackpool, plus they are always good at home.

Was that the 4-1? I just remember them not being particularly convincing despite the score line.

Yeah we went ahead first, they got it back to 2-1 and it looked like we were going to equalise which would have been a fair result. Then we leaked 2 late goals - we didn't deserve that scoreline.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jul 2022 20:49

PieEater
NewCorkSeth

Yeah we went ahead first, they got it back to 2-1 and it looked like we were going to equalise which would have been a fair result. Then we leaked 2 late goals - we didn't deserve that scoreline.

I know we looked absolutely shit last season but Blackpool didn't look much better iirc. I'm a bit confused about how none of the "expert pundits" have them in the relegation zone.

Ntt20 has had us relegated 4 out of the last 5 seasons (the only season they didn't was when we finished 7th and they predicted 18th) with us dead last in their table this season and second tier pod have us 22nd in theirs. The bit that gets to me is they are frequently mentioning our squad has lost real quality in Swift, Laurent and Rinomhota. While that's true they still had us doing shite with those players.

Anyway, Blackpool are probably going to batter us just to spite me for thinking we actually have a fair shot in this game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jul 2022 21:39

90% of predictions have a bottom 3 of us, Rovrum and Brum

It's pretty boring tbh

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 26 Jul 2022 21:55

When Saturday Comes poll has us bottom.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2022 09:21

Tbf we’re an obvious choice to pick

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jul 2022 09:44

Hound Tbf we’re an obvious choice to pick

Was speaking to a few of my mates yesterday who say we are nailed on, but I said the perception is we will go down because of our situation, rather than the quality of players we have.

Still a very realistic chance for sure, but after I kind of explained the players we've brought in, names linked, the players we have, the other teams around us etc and just went on to say I don't think it's as "certain" as the bookies and fans outside the club may think.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Jul 2022 10:39

We are in for a long tough season. Anyone that thinks differently is delusional. Huge question marks over the full time appointment of Ince. The squad is worse and weaker than last season. We’ve lost Swift who was always good for 8-10 goals when fit. We can’t just buy our way out of it like previous years.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jul 2022 10:49

RG30 We are in for a long tough season. Anyone that thinks differently is delusional. Huge question marks over the full time appointment of Ince. The squad is worse and weaker than last season. We’ve lost Swift who was always good for 8-10 goals when fit. We can’t just buy our way out of it like previous years.

I think our biggest plus for this season is that it will feel like a fresh start. Enough of the squad has changed that hopefully it's a chance to reset the mentality in the club and we could see an end to the old self-destructive patterns. Not even Stam's first season achieved that as we were winning games playing an awful style of football.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2022 10:53

Depends largely on injuries for me. Last season we lost Meite for as good as all of it, Joao for half of it

We’re considerably better with those 2 fit. We have been nowhere near the bottom with a fully functioning Meite and Joao last year I don’t think

I think Ince can replace a good number of Swift’s goals. The defence and keeper should be better. The midfield has to do better than it did last year, Hendrick looks a good signing, Ejaria’s a decent player, hopefully Fornah and/or Loum can provide the steel that’s been missing last few years

Lose A couple of our big names again and I can see us really struggling kind you

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jul 2022 11:36

Yeah Swift is a big loss to the team in general, particularly from set pieces as well, but having potentially Joao and Meite back for the full season you'd hope would make a difference in terms of scoring goals and I'd be hoping that we aren't going to be conceding 80+ goals this season, if we can slash that figure by 25% then it will make a big difference as well.

The target for me has got to be 50 points, which should be enough for us to survive.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2022 12:37

Hound Depends largely on injuries for me. Last season we lost Meite for as good as all of it, Joao for half of it

We’re considerably better with those 2 fit. We have been nowhere near the bottom with a fully functioning Meite and Joao last year I don’t think

I think Ince can replace a good number of Swift’s goals. The defence and keeper should be better. The midfield has to do better than it did last year, Hendrick looks a good signing, Ejaria’s a decent player, hopefully Fornah and/or Loum can provide the steel that’s been missing last few years

Lose A couple of our big names again and I can see us really struggling kind you

I mean, I absolutely agree, but there's a least 5 other teams in the exact same position. They get the injuries we had last season and they'll do just as poorly as we did. Issue I guess is can Ince be trusted to handle an injury swept squad.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Jul 2022 12:37

Royal_jimmy 100% this is a must win game

It isn't though, is it?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jul 2022 12:42

NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy 100% this is a must win game

It isn't though, is it?

But a loss would see us in or around the bottom 3, which would be disastrous with only 45 games to go..

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jul 2022 12:51

I wouldn't be completely surprised if we got smashed. Brand new team that has never defended as a unit in a competitive game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2022 12:52

Hound Depends largely on injuries for me. Last season we lost Meite for as good as all of it, Joao for half of it

A phrase that has rung out down the last few seasons many a time.

300 posts