MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

300 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:00

Decent second half, but looked like Blackpool had long since settled for 1-0.

Think the way we set up was terrible. Really like Ince, though still lacking a little on the end product. Meite looks like he's fully fit which is good. Hoilett still got the twists and the turns, wasted in our half. Holmes and McIntyre good. NGW looks ok, didn't seem very trusted and a couple of unlucky slips. Ejaria did decent defensive work. Fornah and Hendrick grew into the game, Hendrick in particular. Yiadom good but handicapped playing CB.

Poor from Ince imo. Don't mind the result, but I want to see him get the basics right, and he hasn't today for me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jul 2022 17:01

Ascotexgunner
retro royal FFS make some changes, with 5 changes available freshen it up, we'll pick up injuries like when Gomes was in charge

Same old story with Ince.....desperate to change things and no subs.

A bench full of inexperienced youngsters but surely you give them a run out for 10/15 minutes when chasing a game, even if it’s to just freshen things up, otherwise what’s the point in naming them on the bench in the first place?

Should have taken the game to Blackpool from the start.

Reading’s strengths are really the forward options so play to them.

Sounds like the defence is still ropey but let’s hope getting Loum and Sarr into the team will make things much more solid. Certainly will need that with new look Cardiff rocking up next week.

Lastly, please can you all pray or do whatever you think’ll work to get the crazy injury cycle hanging over the club put to rest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2022 17:02

Sounds like it got better as it went but really need those players fit and in the side asap

Lots of corners - bit frustrating when due to the EFL being slow and rubbish we couldn’t play our 6ft 6 CB

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:04

NathStPaul No need to panic yet, let's judge it after a month. Think Loum and Sarr will make a difference.

Not really sure how Sarr will make much difference, Holmes and McIntyre both played pretty well. NGW looked ok. At best it frees up Yiadom to play RWB, but that means dropping Hoilett probably. Not really much of a plus for me.

Loum presumably for Fornah could be handy. But it wasn't really any of the cogs that were the problem for me, it was the way they were put together.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jul 2022 17:05

Snowflake Royal Decent second half, but looked like Blackpool had long since settled for 1-0.

Think the way we set up was terrible. Really like Ince, though still lacking a little on the end product. Meite looks like he's fully fit which is good. Hoilett still got the twists and the turns, wasted in our half. Holmes and McIntyre good. NGW looks ok, didn't seem very trusted and a couple of unlucky slips. Ejaria did decent defensive work. Fornah and Hendrick grew into the game, Hendrick in particular. Yiadom good but handicapped playing CB.

Poor from Ince imo. Don't mind the result, but I want to see him get the basics right, and he hasn't today for me.

Starting so narrow and deep was crackers from Ince, it really did open up for Blackpool down the flanks. Poor management letting a team come onto us like that, especially as the shape of the side looked all over the place.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Jul 2022 17:06

Re: the substitutions - I can understand if P.Ince thought it was important to give players as much game time together as possible. It's not like we weren't creating chances or had any obvious defensive problems - we just couldn't quite get it all working at the same time. Not sure that bringing new players into the mix would have helped.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Jul 2022 17:07

1 sub with 7 minutes to go when losing?

Leopards don’t change their spots.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:10

Second half we were the ones pushing. We absolutely 100% could have taken off a defender or a midfielder for Long with 20 / 30 minutes to go. We could have given Scott a go on the wing over Ejaria. Or freshened up midfield with Leavy.

Minimum expectation there is a substitution by 75 minutes at the latest and at least one more around 80.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:12

FYI @Hound - Whoscored had Ejaria as our joint second best player today on the ratings. No chance. That's why I don't rate those ratings.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jul 2022 17:13

Snowflake Royal Second half we were the ones pushing. We absolutely 100% could have taken off a defender or a midfielder for Long with 20 / 30 minutes to go. We could have given Scott a go on the wing over Ejaria. Or freshened up midfield with Leavy.

Minimum expectation there is a substitution by 75 minutes at the latest and at least one more around 80.

It's a very odd habit that both Paunovic and Ince seem to have, very strange not to go hell for leather with 10 minutes left. I understand that we have a young bench but sometimes you have to put your trust in them and hope for the best.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 17:15

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul No need to panic yet, let's judge it after a month. Think Loum and Sarr will make a difference.

Not really sure how Sarr will make much difference, Holmes and McIntyre both played pretty well. NGW looked ok. At best it frees up Yiadom to play RWB, but that means dropping Hoilett probably. Not really much of a plus for me.

Loum presumably for Fornah could be handy. But it wasn't really any of the cogs that were the problem for me, it was the way they were put together.

Did Yiadom not play RWB? His heat map suggests he did..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 17:17

I thought we looked poor. Not shit. Just poor. Guinness-Walker looked a bit shit..

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Jul 2022 17:18

NewCorkSeth I thought we looked poor. Not shit. Just poor. Guinness-Walker looked a bit shit..

Good head on him though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 17:21

NathStPaul
NewCorkSeth I thought we looked poor. Not shit. Just poor. Guinness-Walker looked a bit shit..

Good head on him though.

Reminded me of that Instagram page.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:23

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

He played RCB but second half you could maybe argue we reverted to 4 at the back with him RB. He certainly led the charge a lot.

retro royal

by retro royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:29

Negative tactics, team needs to bed in, but we need to make managerial if it's not any better after 8 games. Hope to be proven wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jul 2022 17:29

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal Second half we were the ones pushing. We absolutely 100% could have taken off a defender or a midfielder for Long with 20 / 30 minutes to go. We could have given Scott a go on the wing over Ejaria. Or freshened up midfield with Leavy.

It's a very odd habit that both Paunovic and Ince seem to have, very strange not to go hell for leather with 10 minutes left. I understand that we have a young bench but sometimes you have to put your trust in them and hope for the best.

If only to protect tired legs.

How much damage is Leavy going to do on for Fornah for 10 minutes at 1-0 down and not looking like scoring?

Would Scott have contributed less than Long for 10 minutes if he came on for Ejaria or Hendrick or NGW?

Hoilett started looking tired. Ince did a LOT of running.

Esteban

by Esteban » 30 Jul 2022 17:37

First half was poor, sat WAY too deep and narrow. Second half was better. Long made a difference when he came on. Maybe could and should have nicked an equaliser, but lacked quality when it mattered.

Need a few more players if we can find them, a creative player is an absolute must. Ejaria hasn't shown anything to suggest he's capable of replacing Swift. Would even sacrifice signing another left back if necessary.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2022 17:44

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

He played RCB but second half you could maybe argue we reverted to 4 at the back with him RB. He certainly led the charge a lot.

I couldn't figure out the formation at all. For a while I thought it was a 4-4-2 with Ince as a second striker who just wasn't playing as a striker. Anyway. Let's move on quickly.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jul 2022 17:49

I listened on BBCRB and we sounded decent in the second half and it’s too early to form any real opinion.

Azeez has done his hammy so is out for around 6 to 8 weeks and it’s sounds like Joao won’t be back anytime soon. The injury curse continues. The worry is our first few games look winnable but we’ll have important players missing.

300 posts