233 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h)

by Lower West » 10 Aug 2022 10:12

Zip
Lower West
Zip Meh. It’s all about avoiding relegation.

Cup competition progression generates revenue. Smaller the revenue the lower the playing budget. Spiral downwards needs to be broken.

We have an injury crisis. Simply not enough fit senior players.
The weather is very hot. Saturday is winnable. I care far more about that game than tonight.
Besides it gives the management a chance to see which Academy boys can make the step up.

We've a financial crisis and not been competitive in cup games in recent years. Smaller budgets will simply amplify the predicament the club is in. Hanging on at the bottom of the Championship year in year out isn't going to bring fans back through the turnstiles.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Aug 2022 10:16

Lower West
Zip
Lower West
Cup competition progression generates revenue. Smaller the revenue the lower the playing budget. Spiral downwards needs to be broken.

The weather is very hot. Saturday is winnable. I care far more about that game than tonight.
Besides it gives the management a chance to see which Academy boys can make the step up.

We've a financial crisis and not been competitive in cup games in recent years. Smaller budgets will simply amplify the predicament the club is in. Hanging on at the bottom of the Championship year in year out isn't going to bring fans back through the turnstiles.

Relegation to League One would be far more damaging The priority has to be staying up over all else
If we had nine or ten more senior players he could have played a strong side but he doesn't have that luxury

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2022 10:22

Lower West
Zip
Lower West

We're not though. The club has money, they just can't spend as much of it as they would like.

Getting through to the second round of the league cup last year was worth £7,000.

Would say that avoiding injuries is a lot more important than such a small amount and it is probably a much bigger deal for a club like Stevenage. Even if you lose a semi-final, it is only worth £25,000.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Aug 2022 10:29

Hendo
Lower West
Zip

We're not though. The club has money, they just can't spend as much of it as they would like.

Getting through to the second round of the league cup last year was worth £7,000.

Would say that avoiding injuries is a lot more important than such a small amount and it is probably a much bigger deal for a club like Stevenage. Even if you lose a semi-final, it is only worth £25,000.

+1

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Aug 2022 10:47

The League Cup hardly presents that much of a financial package for clubs at our level unless we were to reach the final/win it, which we aren't going to do, or I certainly wouldn't want to gamble on that as opposed to staying in the division, that has to be worth more.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2022 11:02

Hendo
Lower West
Zip

Very much this. Looking at Round 2 - there are very few sides in there where we would likely get a big crowd for - even allowing for it being regionalised - Villa would like sell out the away end but I don't see many games that would get people coming in for but we would likely lose. Even away games, you are hoping for a big gate to get a decent pay day but you are equally likely to end up away to Exeter as you are Villa. Would I have liked to win last night, yes - does it bother me we lost? Not in the slightest.

The team was exactly the right one to put out last night, especially with Ejaria also out now leaving us with what 10/11 fit outfield players. Rotherham on Saturday is the only important match and with another 18 league games to play before the WC, we have to be pragmatic.

I would hope though, that if the season is going OK by the time of the FA Cup 3rd round, we would look to put out a stronger side for our regular trip to Old Trafford.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 12:03

Let’s face it - the league cup is deathly dull. Even if we progress to say round 4, we’ll just get knocked out by a load of prem reserves, half of which we’ve never heard of

The game did it’s job. No injuries. Bit of experience. First goal for ehibhatiomhan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2022 12:13

Hendo
Lower West
Zip

The owner has money, not us. He can't use it for us without cheating. We are in a financial crisis

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 12:29

Not sure crisis is the right word. Restriction maybe

Not like we can’t pay the bills, just can’t get the players in that’d we like to

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 12:30

Back to the match - interesting that the two youngest that ince has seemingly shown the least faith in - Clarke and Camara - were arguably the two standouts. Especially Camara

Wonder if it’ll help change his mind on them: that through ball from Camara last night was immense

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2022 12:34

Hound Back to the match - interesting that the two youngest that ince has seemingly shown the least faith in - Clarke and Camara - were arguably the two standouts. Especially Camara

Wonder if it’ll help change his mind on them: that through ball from Camara last night was immense

It makes no sense. Both showed more than enough to get at least another half dozen sub appearances last year. Clarke barely played again after that brace.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 12:52

Snowflake Royal
Hound Back to the match - interesting that the two youngest that ince has seemingly shown the least faith in - Clarke and Camara - were arguably the two standouts. Especially Camara

It makes no sense. Both showed more than enough to get at least another half dozen sub appearances last year. Clarke barely played again after that brace.

He got injured didn’t he straight after. Then got the feeling he rubbed ince the wrong way

Hopefully over that now. Think Ehib looks a better player but Clarke is handy

Actually first time I’ve seen us with 2 big lads up top for quite a while (though suppose Meite sort of qualifies). Quite liked it - they are both huge, quick and decent touch. Ehib must be 6ft4 or 5 I reckon

Camara should be involved 100%. Wonder if he had an injury

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Aug 2022 13:45

Financial crisis? Dread to think what you would of called Derby's situation then!!

Anyway, J Clarke is an utter mystery, whether he is getting the Olise early doors treatment who knows - certainly and odd one.... looks ready to me.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Aug 2022 14:16

Hound
Snowflake Royal

He got injured didn’t he straight after. Then got the feeling he rubbed ince the wrong way

Hopefully over that now. Think Ehib looks a better player but Clarke is handy

Actually first time I’ve seen us with 2 big lads up top for quite a while (though suppose Meite sort of qualifies). Quite liked it - they are both huge, quick and decent touch. Ehib must be 6ft4 or 5 I reckon

Camara should be involved 100%. Wonder if he had an injury

Generally impressed with Camara and Clarke from the little I've seen, Azeez and Dorsett too and these are the four I'd put at the top of the "ready" list. Would say these players should be at least regularly used subs for Reading this season and certainly starting when injury or suspension kicks in - or at the very least, like Dorsett, out on loan somewhere getting regular starts ready to be considered part of the first team squad here when they are recalled/return.

Be interesting to see if Dorsett is recalled in January (presuming he can be) and if a new deal will be negotiated with him this season.

Another question to throw at PI on Thursday.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Aug 2022 14:32

I actually thought the main issue last night was the system (or a lack of familiarity with the system) rather than the individuals. Defensively there was a lot of uncertainty about responsibility, and offensively the front two were usually isolated and having to do everything themselves (though that changed when Camara came on).

Only player I thought had a genuinely bad game was Holzmann. I can understand not wanting to play Dorsett on the right of a three, and not sure if Stickland is back to his best. I hope he doesn’t have to play a league match.

Loum looked like someone who will improve our side. Very quick feet, made a lot of things look easy. Only slight concern is that there was a little bit of the Ejaria-style hold up play in him - not sure we need even more of that!

Forwards all did well. Tuma was a live wire who on another day would have drawn a couple of red cards. Ehibhationham has come so far in the last year and took his goal well. Would love to see us play with Jahmari on the left and Meite on the right - full backs would be terrified.

Referee was awful - worst I can remember since that Sheffield Wednesday game where he apparently didn’t know you could give fouls in the box.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 14:53

Ref was abysmal. If it mattered I’d have been more annoyed about it. Gave them 17 fouls and us only 7 - and that kind of summed him up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Aug 2022 15:48

John Clarke looked horrific. One of the worst displays I've seen in a long time

(probably since van den Berg)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2022 15:59

John Smith John Clarke looked horrific. One of the worst displays I've seen in a long time

First half poor - second half was decent

Nice to hear Ince praising Camara. Hoepfully will involve him now

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 10 Aug 2022 17:29

Zip
Hendo
Lower West

+1

Ditto

The first round of this meaningless (for the vast majority of clubs) cup should be played pre season (probably as they do elsewhere in mini tournament groups of 3)

IMHO

Esteban

by Esteban » 10 Aug 2022 18:34

Hound
John Smith John Clarke looked horrific. One of the worst displays I've seen in a long time

First half poor - second half was decent

Nice to hear Ince praising Camara. Hoepfully will involve him now

Agreed. Clarke and G-W both played out of position first half and it showed. They were far better when they switched after half time.

Camara was very good when he came on, although their centre backs had two big, mobile strikers to deal with by then. Be interesting to see how he does when we play one up top and he's got a little less space. Definitely deserves a chance though.

233 posts