MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (a)

394 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2022 09:18

windermereROYAL Personally I don`t blame Lumley for the first two, header into the corner and a rocket into the postage stamp, the third was schoolboy stuff, and the fourth he was let totally exposed by his defence, if he stayed in his area the guy would have had a one on one anyway.

The second is more a combination of factors its the shot and staying at home. When you look at the rest of the games, he's been roaming miles from his goal line, sometimes out of his area to come and claim balls in behind. See the two failed attempts yesterday, plus a fair few successes this season. Washington first touched the ball well into the 18 yard box. Not an easy claim and could certainly have been rounded or lobbed, but...

On the actual shot, those smashes into the top corner are hard to stop. Although it's not the first time he's been beaten near post from a narrow angle like that when set this season.

The first is also not the first time he's been left rooted to the spot and comfortably beaten by a header from a cross. Again, that itself isn't an error, but you'd hope he reads the flight and effort enough to at least be in a position to try to save. That's more about the defence being beaten on crosses again, of course.

After the second he comes way out to the edge of the area and air swings at the ball. An awkward bounce is all that stops Rotherham scoring there.

The third gors without saying.

The fourth is another rush miles out to fail to take the ball, this time there is a covering defender there.

Tbh, his performance there looks like he's involved with a gambling syndicate and is trying to throw the game, it's that bad. He's just had a bad day and fallen apart. But it's not good enough at all as he clearly recognised.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2022 10:32

Was tongue in cheek when I mentioned he has made terrible errors and come back from them but there is an element of truth to it

Seems like he is basically a good keeper who from time to time comes up with an awful day. Tbf he was excellent against cardiff

Obviously a poor performance but reality is that at 2 down we’d have lost anyway. Don’t blame him massively for the first 2 though maybe could have done better on 2

Needs to get it out of his system and come back confident for Wednesday

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2022 10:40

The big (literally) hope is that Sarr signs as quickly as possible and Ince clearly is frustrated at the back line that he has to put out.

Although individually the players are thought on here to be good enough it is still a fact that Yiadom, McIntyre and Holmes played many games in defence last season when our defensive record was just about the worst in the country so they really can't be that good.

With Sarr as central defender and Loum as defensive midfielder plus a fit (?) Hutchinson we should be physically stronger but with the Sarr thing going on so long I am starting to wonder if it will ever happen and how long before he gets injured anyway (wasn't he out for some time last season.

Posters can go on and on about the injuries but with Rotherham clear favourites for relegation we really should not be getting tonked 4-0 with the feeling that they settled for just the 4 at half-time.

For me the very small consolation is in both Bournemouth and Man Utd losing 4-0 and of course it is just one game and losing 4-0 as opposed to say 8-0 still results in 0 points and if we have to start thinking of goal difference, as one poster suggested, we are really in dire straits.

As one poster said last night, it was a good job that so many were rested last Tuesday night. :wink:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Aug 2022 10:53

Well we will get to see what the alternative keeper is like next week playing with in the first team (or what there is left of it) providing Lumley isn`t allowed to play.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Aug 2022 11:27

You always have to think of goal difference Vic. If we’d say lost 7-0 we’re nearly down another point already. Plus the confidence factor - it’s a small thing to take but can at least bring the second half clean sheet into the next game

No one is saying 4-0 to Rotherham is acceptable - and the defending certainly wasn’t. But it’ll happen again unless we are able to change things up. The injuries are of course a huge factor when the squad is as weak as ours is due to the sanctions. Agree there’s a big question of whether McIntyre and Holmes are good enough after last year at this stage in their careers. NGW isn’t champ quality defensively. Hoilett isn’t a RB

traff

by traff » 14 Aug 2022 11:40

I thought we payed really well between the goals.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Aug 2022 11:51

Hound Was tongue in cheek when I mentioned he has made terrible errors and come back from them but there is an element of truth to it

Seems like he is basically a good keeper who from time to time comes up with an awful day. Tbf he was excellent against cardiff

Obviously a poor performance but reality is that at 2 down we’d have lost anyway. Don’t blame him massively for the first 2 though maybe could have done better on 2

I thought his performance v Cardiff was ok but no more than that. He completely missed a punched clearance from a cross abs had very few saves to make. He did read the game pretty well and acted as a sweeper to clear danger on occasions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2022 12:20

Zip
Hound Was tongue in cheek when I mentioned he has made terrible errors and come back from them but there is an element of truth to it

I thought his performance v Cardiff was ok but no more than that. He completely missed a punched clearance from a cross abs had very few saves to make. He did read the game pretty well and acted as a sweeper to clear danger on occasions.

This.

I also don't really get writing off NGW. He's had a couple of slips, got beaten to easily once yesterday, but he's actualy been a relatively bright spark going forward (finishing aside) and I donthink he's been bad defensively. He's been quite exposed because of our daft shape, but that's not the same thing.

Saying he's a L1 player but not applying the same reasoning to, for example, Fornah, who imo has not been as good, I find rather unfair. Or Hutchinson, who is of course yet to play, but is in his 30s and spent last season in L1 having got relegated from the Champ the one before.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Aug 2022 17:35

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently Good news. We've found this season's scapegoat after only a couple of games.

Dirk, do you really think someone who has made clear, dreadful, errors is being scapegoated? You know a scape goat is blamed for the faults of others, not their own, right?

I know exactly what a scapegoat is, thanks. I even know that it's just one word ;-)

All of the attention in this thread is (or at least was) focussed on Lumley - ignoring the fact that the other 10 are absolutely woeful as well, with a defence leaving him desperately exposed again and again. So while he made terrible mistakes, he was part of a dreadful, terrible, awful team who deserve just as much criticism as he does.

But I also have long memories of our fans needing to have someone to blame for everything that goes wrong with a season, hence the sardonic comment that they seem to have chosen that player early this season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Aug 2022 17:39

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently Good news. We've found this season's scapegoat after only a couple of games.

Dirk, do you really think someone who has made clear, dreadful, errors is being scapegoated? You know a scape goat is blamed for the faults of others, not their own, right?

I know exactly what a scapegoat is, thanks. I even know that it's just one word ;-)

All of the attention in this thread is (or at least was) focussed on Lumley - ignoring the fact that the other 10 are absolutely woeful as well, with a defence leaving him desperately exposed again and again. So while he made terrible mistakes, he was part of a dreadful, terrible, awful team who deserve just as much criticism as he does.

But I also have long memories of our fans needing to have someone to blame for everything that goes wrong with a season, hence the sardonic comment that they seem to have chosen that player early this season.

Fornah looks naive. Not to say he can't have a future at this level but he's not our player. He is what I expected of him so far coming up from a poor league one and shows where we are as a club that we're relying on Nottingham Forest kids to save us rather than our own

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Aug 2022 17:48

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal

In actual fact the entire team has come under criticism. When a goalkeeper lets an innocuous shot trickle through their hands and legs they are always and rightfully going to get a lot of criticism. In a team of poor performances Lumley's errors still stood out.

And funnily enough, when a team regularly loses and performs badly, there are going to be poor performers, and those poor performers are going to get criticised. Shouting scapegoat any time someone oxf*rd up and gets criticism is just stupid.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Aug 2022 17:57

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal Dirk, do you really think someone who has made clear, dreadful, errors is being scapegoated? You know a scape goat is blamed for the faults of others, not their own, right?

In actual fact the entire team has come under criticism. When a goalkeeper lets an innocuous shot trickle through their hands and legs they are always and rightfully going to get a lot of criticism. In a team of poor performances Lumley's errors still stood out.

And funnily enough, when a team regularly loses and performs badly, there are going to be poor performers, and those poor performers are going to get criticised. Shouting scapegoat any time someone oxf*rd up and gets criticism is just stupid.

Very easy to say that 25 hours after the initial post... Context is everything.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Aug 2022 18:16

Ian saying people are stupid again. He can’t help himself.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Aug 2022 18:26

leon Ian saying people are stupid again. He can’t help himself.

The man could start an argument in an empty room.

394 posts